Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I just want a home for my children' - mum on housing list for 12 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

She's an adult child.

She has the outward appearance of a grown woman but she has voluntarily handed in her Adulthood membership card in return for being taken care of my mother welfare. And sometimes children need to be told "no". Even when they throw a tantrum and go to the media, stay firm, it's for her own good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

She's an adult child.

She has the outward appearance of a grown woman but she has voluntarily handed in her Adulthood membership card in return for being taken care of my mother welfare. And sometimes children need to be told "no". Even when they throw a tantrum and go to the media, stay firm, it's for her own good.

That's a fairly good way of describing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I *think* I heard this woman on the radio yesterday afternoon.

She was quite smart, intelligent and articulate. I dont understand the going on the housing list so young, she should have been easily able to be out working.

Much of what interests me in these types of stories are wondering if the actual "most vulnerable" are abandoned.

Some folks are able to go out and fight for public housing and get it while others, disabled, folks with learning difficulties, special needs, people in nursing homes etc etc will be left behind because those that scream the loudest get the goods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yes with a but.
    A house will forever be out of reach for those who can't save up €40k or happen to have a a month's rent and three month's deposit in their are pockets.
    Basically anyone not on a €40k job, will have nowhere to live. It's for those people that social housing exists.
    No point hating the people in it because they don't have the fat job, let's face it, not every single one of us can be on that kind of money, there will always be people who have to do the sh*t jobs and the amount of resentment towards anyone less off than €40k p/a is staggering.
    Unless we started paying people a living wage, otherwise I can't see who will stack the shelves anywhere in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yes with a but.
    A house will forever be out of reach for those who can't save up €40k or happen to have a a month's rent and three month's deposit in their are pockets.
    Basically anyone not on a €40k job, will have nowhere to live. It's for those people that social housing exists.
    No point hating the people in it because they don't have the fat job, let's face it, not every single one of us can be on that kind of money, there will always be people who have to do the sh*t jobs and the amount of resentment towards anyone less off than €40k p/a is staggering.
    Unless we started paying people a living wage, otherwise I can't see who will stack the shelves anywhere in Dublin.

No one's annoyed about people in low paid work who want help, it's the people in no work, who never worked, and who have no intention of ever working who are the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Basically anyone not on a €40k job, will have nowhere to live.

Hyperbole - I'm currently at least 10K south of 40K and I am renting and sharing a 2 bed apartment and paying my bills just fine in Dublin. Granted, it's expensive and a pain in the arse, I shop at Lidl and I live with a housemate and most of my utilities are on prepay meters but that's life and we live pretty well. I have a decent sized apartment for 2 people, a roof over my head, running water and electricity. I am also little by little putting money away for a mortgage.

Many, many people are doing likewise - it's not rocket science, it just takes a bit of cop on and discipline and not expecting others to foot the bill for the things you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

What could does raving about some youngwan cadging off the system do ye? She doesn't give a fcuk about ye, and why should she?

Probably because the people complaining work hard for what they want in life. And probably they understand that they need to pay taxes to pay for things like roads and schools and nurses and Gardaí, but when they see their tax money being spent on someone who doesn't seem bothered about working hard to get the things that she wants in life, they find it a bit, well, irksome.

kylith wrote: »
    No one's annoyed about people in low paid work who want help, it's the people in no work, who never worked, and who have no intention of ever working who are the issue.

Nail on the head. For the record, I'm all in favor of help for people who are doing some sort of work and making some sort of contribution - it's to be encouraged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭littelady

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    What free houses.

We should notify the bargains forum immediately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

kylith wrote:

Agreed, people contributing to society should be given more help. Plus you don't have to spend your whole working life stacking shelves. You can improve yourself, move on and levee the shelf stacking to the next guy while he does the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Probably because the people complaining work hard for what they want in life. And probably they understand that they need to pay taxes to pay for things like roads and schools and nurses and Gardaí, but when they see their tax money being spent on someone who doesn't seem bothered about working hard to get the things that she wants in life, they find it a bit, well, irksome.

And moaning and whinging and crying helps? And if I had a penny for every good for nothing waster that claims they work had in life only to see their money spent on scroungers (their money no less), I'd be able to house half the country :)

You live in a democracy folks, get off your fat hairy asses and change the system or deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Exactly and a massive pension crisis is looming too due to the major imbalance. It's become too expensive to have children. The current crop of politicans are just washing their hands with the situation.

We need more babies who will grow up to become productive workers.

FYP, do you reckon the reams and reams of sob stories we are getting all come from family's with a hardworking background?? We'll have over 1m over 65 and another few million able-bodied but scared stiff of work, born as an afterthought to push their mothers up the housing list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

littelady wrote: »
    We should notify the bargains forum immediately :)

It's amazing isn't it. I suppose if you repeat something enough times people will believe it. The vast majority of people i know in social housing are employed and pay the council a percentage of their wages towards rent. The more you earn the more you pay, it's very simple and yet supposed intelligent people still don't get it. I think a lot of it is due to jealously and the fact they live a sizable commute from work and are paying a hefty mortgage which i believe throws up a lot of hatred.

There is no doubt we have scrongers who take advantage of the system but hey let's stereotype everyone in social housing right.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

It's amazing isn't it. I suppose if you repeat something enough times people will believe it. The vast majority of people i know in social housing are employed and pay the council a percentage of their wages towards rent. The more you earn the more you pay, it's very simple and yet supposed intelligent people still don't get it. I think a lot of it is due to jealously and the fact they live a sizable commute from work and are paying a hefty mortgage which i believe throws up a lot of hatred.

There is no doubt we have scrongers who take advantage of the system but hey let's stereotype everyone in social housing right.

Very small percentage, that's people's problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

BillyBobBS wrote:

It's not free but it's practically free. My dad is in a 3 bed council house in Blanchardstown. He pays around 70e a week in rent to the council, that's 280e per month. Similar 3 beds in Blanchardstown are renting for between 1600e - 2000e pm.

It may not be ACTUALLY free but it very nearly is. No need to nit pick the use of the word, you know full well everyone knows a token amount is paid to the council.

JC01 wrote: »
    Very small percentage, that's people's problem.

Well that small percentage needs to be targeted for relocation. If you have a council house and you haven't worked in let's say 5 years then off you go down to ballygobackwards. But let's not as a society go down the root of putting across this stupid snobby attitude of "everyone in social housing is lazy and the taxpayer keeps a roof over their heads" They are the bloody taxpayers also and it's not their fault an average house in Dublin costs half a million euro.

rawn wrote: »
    It's not free but it's practically free. My dad is in a 3 bed council house in Blanchardstown. He pays around 70e a week in rent to the council, that's 280e per month. Similar 3 beds in Blanchardstown are renting for between 1600e - 2000e pm.

It may not be ACTUALLY free but it very nearly is. No need to nit pick the use of the word, you know full well everyone knows a token amount is paid to the council.

Thank you it's not free and that is very cheap for a council house. My sister is in a 2 bed flat in Dublin and it costs 140 a week. That's not a "token amount" for her or her husband believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

neris wrote: »
    the way things are going theres going to be more leeches in this country soon the normal tax paying workers. this sponger has 2 kids and no mention of daddy/daddies

Half the population are recipients or beneficiaries of welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Why should the tax payer have to foot the bill for big corporations paying there workers minimum wage?

I had more in mind the small local business being brought to its knees paying rates and high insurance and employment taxes like employer PRSI etc and trying to give some workers at least a basic 40 hour a week job even if not hugely well paid. They do their best, the employee does his/her best, they deserve some support. The sit at home "vulnerable" lady in the article deserves none.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

What a surprise to see a thread like this on Boards. A real shocker.

MOD If you dont have anything constructive to add then dont post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The rent is a % of the her income, if she's earning over 80k then she's likely paying as much in rent as many people pay for a mortgage. If she hasn't declared the correct income then you know what to do. Hint, bitching on the internet isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

duffman13 wrote: »
    Yeah we also need the younger generation contributing to society and not being dependant on state aid to counteract the aging population

Bang on, statistically the two she has produced wont be worker bees either

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hi

I'm a new user.

I'm not a troll but I will argue that the mother involved here is making a rational choice. If she attempted to work she probably wouldn't be able to afford what she will most likely get for free from the taxpayer. Her actions makes sense from that point of view.

Society is supposed to be based on solidarity among individuals. If that solidarity is lost, then society itself no longer really exists, as society by definition requires solidarity.

I myself am on social welfare as a choice. I lie on various forms and say that I am genuinely seeking work when I'm not. I don't feel like a master criminal. I want to live my life in a particular way and so that's what I do.

If the rule of law was very strong in our country then perhaps I'd feel differently. I don't feel bad about what I'm doing in the same way that politicians and the Guards for example don't appear to feel bad about their behaviour.

I worked in Dublin for years and struggled to pay rent and struggled to purchase sufficient cannabis. Now I live down the country, I don't work, I grow my own cannabis, and I collect 10,000 per year social welfare. I much prefer this lifestyle. Politicians are supposed to provide the lifestyle that their constituents call for. No politician is prepared to accommodate me in my preferred lifestyle. That means I simply have to take what I want.

Many other people in Irish society also simply take what they want. So I follow the example laid down by role models, my betters obviously. Irish society appears to be largely corrupt so my minor corruption is on no significance, and I'm not prepared to be lectured to about my acts.

If politicians were prepared to actually represent the population then perhaps things would be different.

If people aren't happy in work then leave work and go on the dole.

By the way, I have no kids. If I did I wouldn't be prepared to live this lifestyle.

"Society is supposed to be based on solidarity among individuals. If that solidarity is lost, then society itself no longer really exists, as society by definition requires solidarity."

Except what you're doing is purely selfish and isn't within a country mile of 'solidarity'...on the off chance you're not a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Hi

I worked in Dublin for years and struggled to pay rent and struggled to purchase sufficient cannabis. Now I live down the country, I don't work, I grow my own cannabis, and I collect 10,000 per year social welfare. I much prefer this lifestyle. Politicians are supposed to provide the lifestyle that their constituents call for. No politician is prepared to accommodate me in my preferred lifestyle. That means I simply have to take what I want.

Many other people in Irish society also simply take what they want. So I follow the example laid down by role models, my betters obviously. Irish society appears to be largely corrupt so my minor corruption is on no significance, and I'm not prepared to be lectured to about my acts.

If politicians were prepared to actually represent the population then perhaps things would be different.

By the way, I have no kids. If I did I wouldn't be prepared to live this lifestyle.

Funnily enough no politician is prepared to buy me a house in spain and pay for me to sit on my arse all day drinking cocktails.... ****ers arent they!!

Yes your "minor" corruption is of significance........to my pay check every week.
    Your sense of entitlement if staggering

• Registered Users Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Pelvis wrote: »
    The rent is a % of the her income, if she's earning over 80k then she's likely paying as much in rent as many people pay for a mortgage. If she hasn't declared the correct income then you know what to do. Hint, bitching on the internet isn't it.

it might be a % of her income, but it's capped, so doesn't matter if she's on million or 10k, there's a cap.

wasn't there a comment on a thread recently that one of the non government TD's in a LA house/apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    I have sympathy for people's circumstances and it must be difficult in her current situation with 2 kids (although why in the name of jaysus you'd have TWO kids with no way to put a roof over their heads is beyond me) but at what point in this homeless crisis can government and society not be blamed for crap life choices and a lack of being ar$ed to take responsibility for people's own lives?

Couldn't agree more with this statement.

Sad thing is, this sense of entitlement seems to be more and more accepted in society these days.

As Frank Underwood so succinctly put it, you are entitled to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

A universal income is the only way to go. And less inequality if possible.

There's a very interesting comment made in one of the newspapers (Washington Post maybe) that a universal income follows on from the abolition of slavery, and from the granting of the vote to everybody, as a essential and necessary human right.

In the future a universal income will be seen as perfectly fair and necessary.

A universal income can be compared to slavery as not having a universal income means that people are forced to take low paying jobs, and sometimes degrading jobs. Such people are effectively slaves to the economic system. By providing a universal income people would have real choice to say no to low paying jobs. They'd have been freed from their slavery.

I agree with the comparison between the abolition of slavery and the provision of a universal income. They are very different things in many ways but in other ways they are the same type of thing.

And are you planning to contribute to this universal income for all by paying your fair share of the taxes required to support it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm a new user.

I'm not a troll

One of these statements is true.

• Advertisement

Hi

I'm a new user.

I'm not a troll but I will argue that the mother involved here is making a rational choice. If she attempted to work she probably wouldn't be able to afford what she will most likely get for free from the taxpayer. Her actions makes sense from that point of view.

Society is supposed to be based on solidarity among individuals. If that solidarity is lost, then society itself no longer really exists, as society by definition requires solidarity.

I myself am on social welfare as a choice. I lie on various forms and say that I am genuinely seeking work when I'm not. I don't feel like a master criminal. I want to live my life in a particular way and so that's what I do.

If the rule of law was very strong in our country then perhaps I'd feel differently. I don't feel bad about what I'm doing in the same way that politicians and the Guards for example don't appear to feel bad about their behaviour.

So the rest of us have to subsidize your lifestyle because you have some gripe with politicians? Grand so, just thought I'd clarify...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement