Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I just want a home for my children' - mum on housing list for 12 years

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

nobody in ireland gets a house for free

If I was on social welfare living in a council house having never worked, How did I not get the house for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If I was on social welfare living in a council house having never worked, How did I not get the house for free?

tenants in social housing are obligated and required to pay rent to the local authority.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

You pay rent for the 'free' house based on your income

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Rezident

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    The article, for those that want to read it.

The jist of it is that she's 32, eldest child is 4, and she's been on the housing list for 12 years, and it's all the government and everyone elses fault that she doesn't have a "forever home" and shame on x, y and z etc etc.

I'm sorry, this might be an unpopular opinion but something just isn't adding up here - why would anyone go on the housing list and spend 10 years on it starting at aged 18 with no dependents if there was ever a plan to actually do what the rest of us do and work and save and THEN get a house? Stories like this make me feel like those of us who burst our b0llocks to work and pay tax and save for a mortgage are the eejits here - maybe we all should have decided to give up on any plan to be a productive member of society and went on the housing list at aged 18 - 20, maybe have a few sprogs we have no way of supporting properly and have a moan to the paper about how our subsequently crap situation is everyone else fault and hey presto; free house with no mortgage to deal with!

I have sympathy for people's circumstances and it must be difficult in her current situation with 2 kids (although why in the name of jaysus you'd have TWO kids with no way to put a roof over their heads is beyond me) but at what point in this homeless crisis can government and society not be blamed for crap life choices and a lack of being ar$ed to take responsibility for people's own lives?

We are the eejits and the only way to stop it is for us all to go on the dole and break the rotten system. But we won't do that, because we're the eejits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Rezident wrote: »
    We are the eejits and the only way to stop it is for us all to go on the dole and break the rotten system. But we won't do that, because we're the eejits.

You sound like my neighbour.

Never have I met a man who is so anti council tenants than that guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

tenants in social housing are obligated and required to pay rent to the local authority.

So The FREE money im getting from the state is used to pay rent back to the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Great country to be a dirty lazy deadbeat in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I want to extend my welcome to Wolfie Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Owryan wrote: »
    "Mammy and Daddy threw me out and ive nowhere to live, honest*"

*May not be honest but it's one way to get on the list.

Would be better to look at why mammy and daddy throw people out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

She's in this situation and has a 10 week old kid? Wtf happened to personal responsibility?

No doubt she'll have another kid soon to move herself up the housing list.

Parasites like this should be sterilised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    She's in this situation and has a 10 week old kid? Wtf happened to personal responsibility?

What the actual f

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Something needs to be done to make it financially easy for workers to have at minimim 3 kids

With an ageing population we could easily reach a stage where the elderly will be living with a pittance a week or else still have reasonable pension but we'll be back to 1960s level of social, medical and educational care due to balancing the books

Immigration will not sort this, most will want to live here and make money for a time and move home. You then have the economy weakened with money being sent back home to their families rather than into the local enconomy, imagine that on a scale of say 50% of the current workforce

Then when you reach the areas of the world like Africa and Asia with large populations who some think we should draw workers from it isn't a great idea either. Given the low education, language and cultural barriers you end up like Germany who have just realised of the 1 million supposed refugees they took in circa 850,000 of them will never be able for anything more than menial unskilled labour, couple that with the coming joblessness form automation

The only way forward for a nation that fears population decline is to throw every incentive at working people to have kids and lots of them.

Child care needs to be heavily if not state provided as well as offering a reduction or income tax rebate for each child they have which only makes it beneficial for working parents

However socially there is also an element to it. In years gone by and even currently in rural areas grandparents still happily baby sit their grand kids. This is a problem when you have all the jobs in say Dublin rather than spread out where you can still keep a community support in place

However I wonder if perhaps any incentives to have more kids will work. I believe Germany once tried it and no luck. I think the modern westerner classes not being able to afford kids as meaning it will impact their financial ability to buy the latest new gagdget or shiney car every couple years and stop them enjoying regular sun holidays and nights out a few times a week

If that's the case then we will be in position to come crying if the pension or future state services are cut to nothing along with the entire cultural of the nation changed to something we no longer recognise if some no doubt no it all thinks large scale third world immigration will somehow help things

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

bluewolf wrote: »
    What the actual f

Totally agree, that was my reaction too when I read the story. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

can't be done, it would be a breach of human rights.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

You sound like my neighbour.

Never have I met a man who is so anti council tenants than that guy.

I knew a couple people like that that even when the recession had started said the dole should be halved as it was far too much

Then they were let go and couldn't find employment. They were often see in tears saying how they didn't know how they would feed their kids and keep the bills paid as it wasn't enough to keep them going

I'm fully against scamming the system but couldn't help think that's what happens when you live in a bubble looking down on everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

They were probably sailors and have gone back out to sea.

Pakistani postmen excuse you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Thank you it's not free and that is very cheap for a council house. My sister is in a 2 bed flat in Dublin and it costs 140 a week. That's not a "token amount" for her or her husband believe me.

The woman child in the article is looking for a free house. Hasn't worked a day in her life, doesn't seem to expect to work again in the future. Her rent could be E188 a week WHEN she gets it, that E188 is free money she gets on the dole. She and the like of her contribute NOTHING, the VAT and tax she pays on smokes, drink and whatever else she buys, is just recycled back out to her next dole day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Would be better to look at why mammy and daddy throw people out

So they can get a council house

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

At an obscenely pathetic rate and from money they are given without contributing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The woman child in the article is looking for a free house. Hasn't worked a day in her life, doesn't seem to expect to work again in the future. Her rent could be E188 a week WHEN she gets it, that E188 is free money she gets on the dole. She and the like of her contribute NOTHING, the VAT and tax she pays on smokes, drink and whatever else she buys, is just recycled back out to her next dole day.

How people can not understand this like.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

can't be done, it would be a breach of human rights.

That's the problem with apologists - too much on the rights, nothing on the associated responsibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

bluewolf wrote: »
    What the actual f

typical priest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Disabled man told tough **** yesterday by Tipperary County Council.

Meanwhile a house was recently purchased for a family who had previously defaulted on arrears they owed in a house in Borrisoleigh.

Start of the year a family who wrecked a house in 2001 got an apartment off the council in Thurles.

Person who gave up a home was rehoused 6 months later despite being barred from applying for 12 months.

Single disabled (physically/psychologically) men/women are the most discriminated when it comes to allocations and are the most likely to end up homeless.

I'll shut up about it now.

She needs 80 convictions and a drug dealing boyfriend to qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Disabled man told tough **** yesterday by Tipperary County Council.

Meanwhile a house was recently purchased for a family who had previously defaulted on arrears they owed in a house in Borrisoleigh.

Start of the year a family who wrecked a house in 2001 got an apartment off the council in Thurles.

Person who gave up a home was rehoused 6 months later despite being barred from applying for 12 months.

How do you know this?

why is everyone saying she went o the list at `18?

How do you know this?

this

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So The FREE money im getting from the state is used to pay rent back to the state?
    Don't bother, plenty of people on here insisting that the sky is orange and that three is four when it comes to defending an illogical point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Tigger wrote: »
    why is everyone saying she went o the list at `18?

"Ms Thornton first went on the housing list with Louth County Council when she was 18."

Lola-May though.
    No child deserves that, ginger hair and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

"Ms Thornton first went on the housing list with Louth County Council when she was 18."

Lola-May though.
    No child deserves that, ginger hair and all.

Probably already on the housing list

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Probably already on the housing list

Lola-May?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement