Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I just want a home for my children' - mum on housing list for 12 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

kylith wrote: »
    Maybe, just maybe, we can be concerned with both.

People earning 70K a year have no place in social housing when there are families in hotel rooms and shelters.

Agree but I dnt believe thats there income after tax especially if the lady in question works in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

To be exact it was €120,000 not that 20k would make a major difference in the property market.

She earns good money, it's my wages that are low.

Driving an artic for €9.25 an hour is very exciting.

That's incredible.

I'd heard that things were bad since the influx of cheap labour into the European haulage industry but Jesus I didn't realise just how bad.

Get out of it would be my advice. You'd earn more working in a corner shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Exactly and a massive pension crisis is looming too due to the major imbalance. It's become too expensive to have children. The current crop of politicans are just washing their hands with the situation.

We need more babies.
    but the problem is , the ones that are cant afford the kids or make no effort to provide for them are the ones having them and a lot of them will be brought with a sense of entitlement and contribute nothing to the coffers of the state .
    We are fast approaching nearly full employment and i'll bet the same people [ apart from people with genuine reasons] will be out of work as were out of work during the last spell of full employment , plus chances are they are from families that were out of work during previous times of full employment and the see it as a god given right not to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Hi

I'm a new user.

I'm not a troll but I will argue that the mother involved here is making a rational choice. If she attempted to work she probably wouldn't be able to afford what she will most likely get for free from the taxpayer. Her actions makes sense from that point of view.

Society is supposed to be based on solidarity among individuals. If that solidarity is lost, then society itself no longer really exists, as society by definition requires solidarity.

I myself am on social welfare as a choice. I lie on various forms and say that I am genuinely seeking work when I'm not. I don't feel like a master criminal. I want to live my life in a particular way and so that's what I do.

If the rule of law was very strong in our country then perhaps I'd feel differently. I don't feel bad about what I'm doing in the same way that politicians and the Guards for example don't appear to feel bad about their behaviour.

I worked in Dublin for years and struggled to pay rent and struggled to purchase sufficient cannabis. Now I live down the country, I don't work, I grow my own cannabis, and I collect 10,000 per year social welfare. I much prefer this lifestyle. Politicians are supposed to provide the lifestyle that their constituents call for. No politician is prepared to accommodate me in my preferred lifestyle. That means I simply have to take what I want.

Many other people in Irish society also simply take what they want. So I follow the example laid down by role models, my betters obviously. Irish society appears to be largely corrupt so my minor corruption is on no significance, and I'm not prepared to be lectured to about my acts.

If politicians were prepared to actually represent the population then perhaps things would be different.

If people aren't happy in work then leave work and go on the dole.

By the way, I have no kids. If I did I wouldn't be prepared to live this lifestyle.
    its people who make choices like this are the ones that people complain about ''career spongers''. thousands of people all over the country are struggling to get by but they have enough pride and respect for other to stick at it and not admit to make a life of sponging

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Agree but I dnt believe thats there income after tax especially if the lady in question works in a shop.

Boo frikkin' hoo for them. My partner and I combined don't earn that before tax, and we're not expecting anyone to hand us a house pretty much for free. They earn enough to pay rent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm confused about the thread. She's running her own business and renting privately.
    What's that got to do with "dole scroungers"? Maybe her business isn't making enough to rent and save a deposit? Goodness knows that wouldn't be a first with current rent prices

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm confused about the thread. She's running her own business and renting privately.
    What's that got to do with "dole scroungers"? Maybe her business isn't making enough to rent and save a deposit? Goodness knows that wouldn't be a first with current rent prices

She used to run her own business. Still doesn't explain why she went on the housing list as soon as she was able, or why she think's she's entitled to one when she's renting. If she's worried about being made to move then that's a valid concern. It's common knowledge that there isn't enough protection for renters in this country; in many European countries owning a home is unusual as most people would rent one house for decades.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah i read the article this morning and thought fair enough, long term rent and a bit of stability needed, we can all understand that. A better renting culture would be good here.
    Thought i was in the wrong article when i saw some of these comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Get another employer. Still good money to be made in haulage. There's a serious shortage of drivers at the min. Never heard of anyone paying 9.25 an hour that's scandalous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

She has a 4yo son who has moved 5 times, no explanation as to why she moves so often. No explanation as to why she feels she deserves a "free" home, no explanation as to why the father(s) of her children is not around, no explanation why she has spent 12 years on the housing list without trying to make things happen herself.

There are plenty of more deserving cases out there, why was this one singled out unless it was looking for a reaction. Most of the comments on twitter are echoing the sentiment here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭jack of all

gctest50 wrote: »
    The place needs babies though or the aging population thing will get worse

The country needs babies that will grow up to be responsible, working adults who contribute to society through meaningful work, paying taxes etc. We don't need another jobless generation who know only "entitlement".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

"There is a crisis and we are all in the same boat and none of us on the waiting list are getting anywhere,"

I think where she has gone wrong is she has lumped herself in with genuine cases and feels this gives her case more legitimacy. It doesn't. No effort to house yourself in 12 years? No sympathy.

anna080 wrote: »
    "There is a crisis and we are all in the same boat and none of us on the waiting list are getting anywhere,"

I think where she has gone wrong is she has lumped herself in with genuine cases and feels this gives her case more legitimacy. It doesn't. No effort to house yourself in 12 years? No sympathy.

Is renting privately not housing herself

Is renting privately not housing herself

Not for her apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Not for her apparently.

The point is that if she is renting privately, she is housing herself, so your comment that she has made no attempt to house herself in 12 years would not be correct.

Not for her apparently.
    Well she wants a house because renting is so short term and she'd like stability. Clearly she can't afford both rent and mortgage. How is that making no attempt?

Am i actually on a different planet here? I just read a fb post from someone paying 1600 rent watching rte tell them they need to just stop buying chippers and they'd afford a mortgage in no time. Meanwhile this womam has pointed out theres loads of vacant houses being put to no use in her area and a long waiting list. Loads of people are in the same boat.
    Sure i dont know why she went on it at 18, but she clearly was out there doing something to be renting and business starting and had her first child at 28 (you'd nearly think she was 15 from the posts) . Why all the vitriol?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Owryan wrote: »
    She has a 4yo son who has moved 5 times, no explanation as to why she moves so often. No explanation as to why she feels she deserves a "free" home
    If she sees it as a "free" home, I'm guessing eviction due to non-payment of rent?

The sad thing is she probably thinks it's completely normal to go on a housing list to begin with. I worked in social housing and saw this mentality all the time, it wasn't unusual to see the children brought up in a council house put themselves on the list once they were old enough, like that's what the obvious next step was. They would see their parent/s with this lifestyle and have no incentive to break out of that cycle and provide for themselves.

I hope I'm not generalizing, I also came across those that couldn't wait to better themselves and would avail of the education assistance the social housing organisation provided to go to college and get on the right path. But there definitely is a mentality there and more needs to be done in terms of getting people to break out of this cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Don't like people getting "free" houses while others cripple themselves with mortgages, but that's not going to change. It's almost impossible to buy your own house now though unless your on 30k + a year.

I pay 850 per month rent out of my wages 1900 per month, can't get a mortgage though.

Worst thing about this wan is the father is probably living with her on the sly, and doing 5 days a week work on the sly.

Well she wants a house because renting is so short term and she'd like stability. Clearly she can't afford both rent and mortgage. How is that making no attempt?

Am i actually on a different planet here? I just read a fb post from someone paying 1600 rent watching rte tell them they need to just stop buying chippers and they'd afford a mortgage in no time. Meanwhile this womam has pointed out theres loads of vacant houses being put to no use in her area and a long waiting list. Loads of people are in the same boat.
    Sure i dont know why she went on it at 18, but she clearly was out there doing something to be renting and business starting and had her first child at 28 (you'd nearly think she was 15 from the posts) . Why all the vitriol?

Ya bluewolf I think you are on a different planet. I have no sympathy for someone who has never worked, moaning to the papers about how her free house isn't coming fast enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ya bluewolf I think you are on a different planet. I have no sympathy for someone who has never worked, moaning to the papers about how her free house isn't coming fast enough.

She had her own business?

Sorry where does it say she never worked?
    And how was she renting privately all this time if she never worked?
    The threshhold for a council waiting list is <35-37k pa for a single adult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Can anyone answer a question

If you are on the housing list. How often are you means tested while on the housing list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Owryan wrote: »
    Father's are obligated to support their children regardless of their paternal rights strangely enough. It's the only legal right unmarried father's have if they don't meet the requirements for automatic guardianship.

I can attest to that even with guardianship.

Get another employer. Still good money to be made in haulage. There's a serious shortage of drivers at the min. Never heard of anyone paying 9.25 an hour that's scandalous.

I can give you a nice list of employers who do pay that and lower.

That's just in Cork.

I know a 27 year old girl, 2 kids, 2 different sperm donors, never worked a day in her life.

She complains that she has to pay €50 a week to the CC for a 2 bed house in an area with the highest average house prices in Dublin.

Shes complaining because her 21 year old sister has 3 kids, 3 sperm donors and a brand new 3 bed house.....but only pays €25 a week.

Apparently.....its not fair!

The first scenario sounds like my ex!

[/B]

That's incredible.

I'd heard that things were bad since the influx of cheap labour into the European haulage industry but Jesus I didn't realise just how bad.

Hoping to return to college at night to start off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

The threshhold for a council waiting list is <35-37k pa for a single adult?

Is that when applying or are you means tested while on the Waiting list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

This Kind of thing boggles my mind it really does!

why at 18 would you have to this ? Only if you have zero intention to work in my opinion!

I seen on the wexford mammys page yesterday a woman saying she has 2 kids 15 and 18 with another on the way she wanted to know of the council would pay for an extension because her first 2 are to old to share so she needs an extra room when the baby comes. I was flabbergasted.

I'm 25, a good chunk of girls I went to school with have had kids a few are on their 3rd kid and are nearly all in council homes. Very few of them work. Why do the rest of us bother? Sure I don't need to save I'll just pop our a few babies stay on the dole and I'll be grand!

I've heard a few stories of young ones here in Carlow who are refusing houses because of size and location it's ridiculous. There was a new council estate i think last year and they were all furnished by the council and within days some of the people who moved in there were selling off the new furniture etc on Facebook selling pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Understandable, as families grow so do space requirements.

The solution here is to approach a financial lending institution aka 'bank' and seek a mortgage to purchase a bigger house.

Please pass on this info to them.

that's not a solution, as she will not be able to afford to make the repayments.
    the banks must not give out mortgages to those who cannot afford them and must be extra-stringent on who they give them to, to prevent the tax payer from having to bail them out again.
    worded wrote: »
    Excellent idea there

Also a down ward sliding scale for dole like Poland has

We are a soft touch here

we aren't a soft touch. a downward sliding scale for dole like Poland has would not be cost effective and would cause more costly to deal with social issues. it's not financially or socially viable.
    kylith wrote: »
    Boo frikkin' hoo for them. My partner and I combined don't earn that before tax, and we're not expecting anyone to hand us a house pretty much for free. They earn enough to pay rent.

nobody in ireland gets a house for free

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement