Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I just want a home for my children' - mum on housing list for 12 years

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Something about rights no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

osarusan wrote: »
    And they won't go anywhere, and what then?

dont give them anything financial or support wise from the state then

We can afford them. I have a full time job as does my wife.

I have long standing medical problems of a congenital nature.

You can't afford to house them though.
    How anyone in a low paid job with health issues reckons they can afford a family of 6 is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

neris wrote: »
    dont give them anything financial or support wise from the state then
    And if they don't/won't a job, then what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Did she give up being self employed when she became pregnant? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

To be exact it was €120,000 not that 20k would make a major difference in the property market.

She earns good money, it's my wages that are low.

Driving an artic for €9.25 an hour is very exciting.

€9.25 an hour? Im sure you could do much better than that.

This welfare system needs radical overhauling quickly. Honestly I can see reasons why people are incentivised not to work in the current climate which is certainly not the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Surprised she only has 2 kids to be honest, would expect her to have at least 4..

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    €9.25 an hour? Im sure you could do much better than that.

The medical history is the issue.

While i satisfy the criteria to pass a medical for a licence, my medical problems impede me in the physical aspect of the work, hence some employers won't take me on.

I just pull up, open the curtains/back doors and the truck is loaded/unloaded for me.

It's the pulling and shoving in the back and on/off the truck i can't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Owryan wrote: »
    Plus, no mention of kids fathers sure why would they be expected to support the kids, that's the states job.

Effectively, turned 18 and straight on the hand outs train. There is no indication that she is struggling at the moment to make ends meet either.

It's hardly her fault if the fathers aren't contributing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Surprised she only has 2 kids to be honest, would expect her to have at least 4..

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

If you sat down with me you would see i'm not one of these people that wants a free ride or life long hand outs.

5 of the kids will be with me full time.

i do not have the other child overnights although the mother is pressing me.

I have every intention of achieving my goal of owning my house by 40.

I'm not too far from it.

I really wish you all the best with it. I know it's sometimes a bit hard when the finances aren't what you expected.
    Someone posted a link to houses in County Cork for your price range and I can only urge you to think about this.
    We have 2 kids and I'm currently having maternity leave but would work from home - self-employed and do not have records in Ireland yet. So impossible for us to get a mortgage. We had a huge deposit though and were asking for a quite small mortgage but wouldn't fit in the criteria, so we decided to buy for the hard cash we had.
    Yes we are rural but we own the place (that needs a bit of work that's financed by a loan) and this is a priceless feeling and honestly the area is really nice and all this is worth a commute to us.

I think I've read that your wife is currently pregnant with twins, if you want to buy a house, then maybe do it before the babies are here, otherwise it'll be even more difficult getting a mortgage for you.

It's all about making it work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    What a surprise to see a thread like this on Boards. A real shocker.

Many of the people discussed have a lot of time on their hands. Why not come in here and put their point of view in rebuttal of the points made?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

That would even be too much work for her :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

SteM wrote: »
    Were you not on some other thread wondering how long it would take to get a council house with more bedrooms now that you were having 2 more kids or something like that?
    You can't afford them. If you can't house them properly you can't afford them. Affording them doesn’t just mean feeding them and clothing them.

Yup that was me.

We got mortgage approval i stated on that as well. can't get a 3 bed with that kind of money now.
    I got a 3 bed detached house for under 30k two years ago. Admittedly it's in the arse of Roscommon but at least its my own house. A quick look on Daft.ie shows up over 100 properties in Co Cork for under 100K. Use the 20K to do the place up and you would have a nice little house. There is a sense of pride involved when you get your own place and do it up to your tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

And they won't go anywhere, and what then?

If they don't take the option to improve their own life, then take kids into care and provide a cardboard box for her. :mad:

optogirl wrote: »

Well she played her part in having the kids like. If you don't have a stable home environment should you be having kids at all?

She got to late 20s without having kids so you'd imagine she knew the ropes so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The medical history is the issue.

While i satisfy the criteria to pass a medical for a licence, my medical problems impede me in the physical aspect of the work, hence some employers won't take me on.

I just pull up, open the curtains/back doors and the truck is loaded/unloaded for me.

It's the pulling and shoving in the back and on/off the truck i can't do.

Reskill then.

I ve arthritis in both elbows so can no longer do the work i used to. Back in college and starting my final year. Im 42 so its never too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

And if they don't/won't a job, then what?

they get nothing at all then from the state. no house, no hostel, no hotel, no money, no benefits, no medical card etc. they dont want to contribute to the country then the country shouldnt contribute to them. tough **** but im fed up seeing leeches like this one sponging everything they can get and its getting worse

LirW wrote: »
    I really wish you all the best with it. I know it's sometimes a bit hard when the finances aren't what you expected.
    Someone posted a link to houses in County Cork for your price range and I can only urge you to think about this.
    We have 2 kids and I'm currently having maternity leave but would work from home - self-employed and do not have records in Ireland yet. So impossible for us to get a mortgage. We had a huge deposit though and were asking for a quite small mortgage but wouldn't fit in the criteria, so we decided to buy for the hard cash we had.
    Yes we are rural but we own the place (that needs a bit of work that's financed by a loan) and this is a priceless feeling and honestly the area is really nice and all this is worth a commute to us.

I think I've read that your wife is currently pregnant with twins, if you want to buy a house, then maybe do it before the babies are here, otherwise it'll be even more difficult getting a mortgage for you.

It's all about making it work :)

Thank you for your kind post :)

Where abouts in the county are they within that price range?

Working from home would be a great advantage indeed, if i come off the road i could work from home within my industry.

Yeah she's pregnant with twins, completely different pregnant altogether.

We were offered out current house for 80k.

It would need more than 40k worth of work all in to turn it around but it is an option to look deeper into if all else doesn't go to plan.

Hope you are enjoying your maternity leave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

they get nothing at all then from the state. no house, no hostel, no hotel, no money, no benefits, no medical card etc. they dont want to contribute to the country then the country shouldnt contribute to them. tough **** but im fed up seeing leeches like this one sponging everything they can get and its getting worse

I'd like to thank this post 1000 times. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

optogirl wrote: »

Oh yes it is, perhaps waiting until you've celebrated a birthday with therm before having a child ?

This is one of the reasons I was thrilled with the Marriage Referendum, having long standing couples use the word "partner" when its been taken by some wagon who met soft lad on the internet 2 weeks ago, not right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

She should be ****ed off the list.

Go get a job, and a better life for yourself. You have had 12 years to work and save for a house, and don't blame the kids. You had 8 years without a kid to work 40/50/60 hours a week and BUY a house.

Your entitled to nothing.

Reskill then.

I ve arthritis in both elbows so can no longer do the work i used to. Back in college and starting my final year. Im 42 so its never too late.

I have other skills, I was shot down for a security licence only last month.

I have been asked would i consider social care which i hope to do 3 nights a week over 2 years.

That is a job i should have done sooner admittedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I have other skills, I was shot down for a security licence only last month.

I have been asked would i consider social care which i hope to do 3 nights a week over 2 years.

Thats what im currently studying, best of luck.

Hindsight :)
    We all have simialr thoughts really, such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

It would need more than 40k worth of work all in to turn it around but it is an option to look deeper into if all else doesn't go to plan.

Depending on what needs to be done, if you have to replumb and rewire that place (we have to do this now) that will set you back a bit, anything else is variable and can be compromised with unless it's something substantial.

You'll figure it all out eventually.

Just look on myhome and daft for County Cork and put the max price in you want to pay, someone even posted a link a few pages back for it.

Thats what im currently studying, best of luck.

Thank you, best of luck with your studies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Might be an unpopular thing to say but two things struck me about that article.

Why on earth would someone have a second child if she can't afford to provide for them properly.

And where is the dad (s). Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything about it in the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If they don't take the option to improve their own life, then take kids into care and provide a cardboard box for her. :mad:

Is that really the solution you'd be happy with in that situation?

I can see the appeal in the idea that they should get nothing, but it doesn't solve anything really.

Certainly there are some people who would be shocked into getting off their arse and getting a job, but for those that don't, do we really want to see their kids taken off them and them sleeping on the street? And you'd be surprised how much money that doesn't save, too.

Or is it a bluff? And the problem is that a certain number of people will always call the state's bluff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Then what?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement