Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I just want a home for my children' - mum on housing list for 12 years

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

I haven't read the article before posting this.

My own case was as follows;

Now 32 in a council house.

Have 4 children and 2 more on the way, the 1st child is from a previous relationship and i maintain them.

I was placed into my own apartment at 17 by the then Southern Health Board having spent the previous half a decade in state care.

My family were and very much still are dysfunctional and i was the unwanted child, it showed as well as they tried every means possible to get rid of me once and for all.

Aged 18 i was asked by the S.H.B to register for the housing list, 18 & single but working, no problem i did.

I've been in and out of work due to health reasons over the last 15/16 years.

In 2012 with 2 full time children and 1 part time we were allocated a council house, the rent started at €50 per week, now it stands at €140 due to the income between us being high, the wife works full time, i'm currently employed but out sick.

Earlier this year before my sick leave began, we decided we would like to buy a house, so we applied for a mortgage and were granted one.

That is the only good bit, what we were offered was just over €100,000.

We couldn't afford anything on the market to for our requirements and while we could buy the house we live in, it is in need of extensive work and we wouldn't have enough to refurbish with the remaining money, we are now in the position of just having to apply to the council for a transfer to a larger property and hopefully purchase that god willing!

Or not have the other children, but personal responsibility isn't big in this country sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Why can't people have goals and work like nearly everyone else and get their own roof over their heads.

If you can't afford to have a child then stop having them especially when you know you are in hard times and strapped for cash.

If everyone decided not to have children because they were strapped for cash, there would be no-one around to pay our pensions and look after us when we are old. It is a good thing for our society that some women have children they can't always provide for, we are already going to have to work till 70 if the birth rate drops that will be more like 75!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Or not have the other children, but personal responsibility isn't big in this country sadly.

We can afford them. I have a full time job as does my wife.

I have long standing medical problems of a congenital nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Working doesnt guarantee you can afford a mortgage especially with the wages some employers pay particulary in Dublin. Anybody who works a full time job should be able to afford a house but todays society of exploiting workers and under paying them means only a minority can only afford it.

The council outbidding working people to provide housing for people who have never worked isn't helping matters in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

IMO they should put an end to Council housing.

Change it to limited time government housing where you need to prove you are making an effort to stand on your own two feet.

The Government should then use the money to build affordable housing for everyone with the restriction of buy to rent on these houses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Have 4 children and 2 more on the way, the 1st child is from a previous relationship and i maintain them.

I was placed into my own apartment at 17 by the then Southern Health Board having spent the previous half a decade in state care.

My family were and very much still are dysfunctional and i was the unwanted child, it showed as well as they tried every means possible to get rid of me once and for all.

Aged 18 i was asked by the S.H.B to register for the housing list, 18 & single but working, no problem i did.

In 2012 with 2 full time children and 1 part time we were allocated a council house, the rent started at €50 per week, now it stands at €140 due to the income between us being high, the wife works full time, i'm currently employed but out sick.

Earlier this year before my sick leave began, we decided we would like to buy a house, so we applied for a mortgage and were granted one.

We couldn't afford anything on the market to for our requirements and while we could buy the house we live in, it is in need of extensive work and we wouldn't have enough to refurbish with the remaining money, we are now in the position of just having to apply to the council for a transfer to a larger property and hopefully purchase that god willing!

Until the bolded bit you had my sympathy. You want the council to provide you with a bigger house so you can then go and buy it out.

No local authority should be selling any of its stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I know nothing about the law on this, but can people genuinely apply for housing at the age of 18, with no dependents?!

It seems so.

Imagine that being your aspiration at age 18................

flaneur wrote: »
    One thing we could do as a quick fix for some of the issues, using the excess housing stock in ridiculous locations:...

A good, well thought out post. Just wanted to say that

Owryan wrote: »
    Until the bolded bit you had my sympathy. You want the council to provide you with a bigger house so you can then go and buy it out.

Exactly my point. I had every sympathy for the start in life the poster had but then it was just another gimme gimme story.

Owryan wrote: »

I'm not looking for sympathy.

I have tried to purchase a property but the bank will not give anything over €100k.

6/7 years ago i'd have gotten a fine place for it.

Stock is regularly sold here, also new stock purchased.

It would be better for us to be paying the €140 a week towards a mortgage as rent is effectively dead money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SteM

Were you not on some other thread wondering how long it would take to get a council house with more bedrooms now that you were having 2 more kids or something like that?
    You can't afford them. If you can't house them properly you can't afford them. Affording them doesn’t just mean feeding them and clothing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If my income was low and not stable, and I had health issues, I don't think I would have six children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

You must both have very low paying full time jobs to only be offered a mortgage of 100,000. You should shop around. Some banks offer 3.5 times the combined income.

SteM wrote: »
    Were you not on some other thread wondering how long it would take to get a council house with more bedrooms now that you were having 2 more kids or something like that?
    You can't afford them. If you can't house them properly you can't afford them. Affording them doesn’t just mean feeding them and clothing them.

Yup that was me.

We got mortgage approval i stated on that as well. can't get a 3 bed with that kind of money now.

gazzer wrote: »
    You must both have very low paying full time jobs to only be offered a mortgage of 100,000. You should shop around. Some banks offer 3.5 times the combined income.

She's a cleaner and my username explains what i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

She's a cleaner and my username explains what i am.

Even if you were both on the minimum wage you should be getting offered a mortgage of roughly €135,000

To be exact it was €120,000 not that 20k would make a major difference in the property market.

She earns good money, it's my wages that are low.

Driving an artic for €9.25 an hour is very exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Ah sure why don't we keep bashing people on welfare.

Or even better to be able to post on the forums a current p60 is required.

Not all that are homeless are wasters. Quite a lot work but still cannot afford to rent or buy at the crazy prices nowadays. But sure let's still run them down :(

This is an unacceptable case that deserves no sympathy. I have sympathy and am happy to pay taxes towards genuine welfare cases.

This wan is a disgrace to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I go to work and make myself lots of money so I can pay my mortgage, run my car, buy nice clothes, have a holiday, start a family, enjoy my life.

I don't go to work and make money to give it to people that want the same thing as me but don't want to work for it. But the government makes me pay them through my taxes. However I claim every credit I have so these people get as little as possible from me from income tax. Unfortunately my motor tax, VAT and other indirect taxation makes it's way into their grubby little hands.

There is a certain cohort of people, the majority of them living in the same few areas surrounding major cities that are contributing nothing and just want to take everything.

If any of you are reading this in your more or less free house on your free internet shame on you. Get off your holes and do a bit of productive work for once in your life. Your children are watching you and will be layabout lazy moanyholes living in the same drug and crime ridden hellholes too if you don't set a good example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I hate when they go to the media, once saw a girl go to the paper for a house saying she had 3 kids and the current fella left(3 kids 3 diff fathers btw) She got a house and boom fella moves back in.....Didn't see that coming at all :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Working doesnt guarantee you can afford a mortgage especially with the wages some employers pay particulary in Dublin. Anybody who works a full time job should be able to afford a house but todays society of exploiting workers and under paying them means only a minority can only afford it.

So you cut your cloth to measure and rent somewhere you can afford to pay.
    Owning a house is not a right, it's a privilege you save for and aspire to.
    Or at least it should be.

We've gone from multi-story tenement houses holding multiple families to the other extreme of single people straight out of school looking for a free ride for life and thinking it's a right like the loony left believe it is.

I believe low paid workers should be helped where possible, those unwilling to work like the person in the article should be pointed towards the ports.

I hate when they go to the media, once saw a girl go to the paper for a house saying she had 3 kids and the current fella left(3 kids 3 diff fathers btw) She got a house and boom fella moves back in.....Didn't see that coming at all :rolleyes:

It's very common around here.

Not a good environment for kids to grow up in though.

I'm not looking for sympathy.

Most people cannot afford 6 kids - that's a lot of kids. Look, you sound nice and congratulations and all power to you and I hope it works out for you, but I truly can't get my head around the idea that someone in this day and age could think that 6 kids when you can't get a house is a reasonable thing to want.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

those unwilling to work like the person in the article should be pointed towards the ports.
    And they won't go anywhere, and what then?

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Most people cannot afford 6 kids - that's a lot of kids. Look, you sound nice and congratulations and all power to you and I hope it works out for you, but I truly can't get my head around the idea that someone in this day and age could think that 6 kids when you can't get a house is a reasonable thing to want.

If you sat down with me you would see i'm not one of these people that wants a free ride or life long hand outs.

5 of the kids will be with me full time.

i do not have the other child overnights although the mother is pressing me.

I have every intention of achieving my goal of owning my house by 40.

I'm not too far from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

I wonder what percentage of those on the housing list and in various forms of "homelessness" are like this lady?

By like this lady I mean, shouldn't be on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If you sat down with me you would see i'm not one of these people that wants a free ride or life long hand outs.

5 of the kids will be with me full time.

i do not have the other child overnights although the mother is pressing me.

I have every intention of achieving my goal of owning my house by 40.

I'm not too far from it.
    By expecting the tax payer to pick up the shortfall between what your mortgage is and what you get for your money. You state you could buy the one you're in but won't because it needs to be done up

Never, these are fine upstanding wimmins who would not lie just to get a cheap house without having to work.

/sarcasm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

the way things are going theres going to be more leeches in this country soon the normal tax paying workers. this sponger has 2 kids and no mention of daddy/daddies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement