Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[13/9/2017] DART derailment at Dún Laoghaire

Options
  • 13-09-2017 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Irish rail are tweeting services are currently suspended due to "low speed derailment near dun laoghaire"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Problem with points and DART derailed when it went through.

427818.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Is it not possible for Irish Rail to actually make a visible presence about it on their website as well as twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Seeing that you posted about it first I'll post in here. Why does this crap happen at peek times? It always seems to happen at rush hour.

Threads Merged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I was on the rosslare stuck 50 meters out of sea point , packed train, no air, all standing, it took 50 mins to get permission to reverse 50 meters to the station all the time we were in a spot with no mobile signal, so we couldn't get the updates that the driver wasn't giving us.... what a third world country we are in some aspects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,515 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it the first time a DART in service derailed? Will there be a service running that route tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I was on the rosslare stuck 50 meters out of sea point , packed train, no air, all standing, it took 50 mins to get permission to reverse 50 meters to the station all the time we were in a spot with no mobile signal, so we couldn't get the updates that the driver wasn't giving us.... what a third world country we are in some aspects.

No air, your still alive yes??

You know priority will be given by the controllers to the actual incident before you guys. You would have the exact same outside Ireland.

Is it the first time a DART in service derailed? Will there be a service running that route tomorrow?

No and Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

All I can say when I heard about this is..... Oh shyte! O.O

Would say theyll be back tomorrow cant see it being back for the rest of the evening considering theyll need to get a rerailer out to get it back on the track. Least its a low speed and noone injured so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I was on the derailed train. Stuck for ages. We eventually forced the doors and got off ourselves.
    It was very low speed but a hell of a bang all the same

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You know priority will be given by the controllers to the actual incident before you guys. You would have the exact same outside Ireland.

Sure, but as they had no updates, they didn't know there was another train with a problem.
    Mousewar wrote: »
    I was on the derailed train. Stuck for ages. We eventually forced the doors and got off ourselves.
    It was very low speed but a hell of a bang all the same
    Can you write down what happened and send it to info@raiu.ie

http://www.irishrail.ie/news/services-suspended-between-lansdowne-road-and-dun-laoghaire
    Services suspended between Lansdowne Road and Bray/Greystones until further notice

13 September 2017

Services suspended between Lansdowne Road and Bray/Greystones until further notice due to an incident in Dun Laoghaire.

Update: 19:45hrs

All services are currently suspended between Lansdowne Road and Bray/Greystones due to a low speed train derailment in Dun Laoghaire

Dublin Bus are accepting rail tickets. Bus transfer will operate for Rosslare services.

All Customers have now been detrained from the service that was involved in the incident

DART realtime information is currently not displaying accurate information

Iarnród Éireann apologises for this disruption this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    No air, your still alive yes??

I've been in a situation where a train broke down badly, just ahead of the train I was on, according to the driver. Took maybe 20 or 30 minutes to reverse 500 metres to Drumcondra. It's also no reason not to have announcements from the driver. Part of what CTC does is to explain and liaise with train drivers who are on the line ahead... So surely the driver can pass it on?

By not acting and also not providing updates, one eejit might be tempted to take matters into their own hands, but that isn't Irish Rail's fault though. Edit: mentioned the point because it is partly Irish Rail's fault, but then no one should walk on the track except in emergency situations really.

By not acting and also not providing updates, one eejit might be tempted to take matters into their own hands, but that isn't Irish Rail's fault though.
    It is their responsibility. Passengers de-training themselves away from stations is a known phenomenon.

Victor wrote: »
    Sure, but as they had no updates, they didn't know there was another train with a problem.

Can you write down what happened and send it to info@raiu.ie

It doesn't matter if they knew or not. I agree they should of gotten an update but 50 minutes is nothing and I am sure the air con didn't fail on the ICR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

In crisis management keeping people informed is one of the priorities.... not the ah sure they'll be grand for another 30 mins. And as for reversing the half of the train that wasn't on the platform, with so many single points of failure on this line, you'd think the decision making process to change direction in an incident would be more reactive.

I've been in a situation where a train broke down badly, just ahead of the train I was on, according to the driver. Took maybe 20 or 30 minutes to reverse 500 metres to Drumcondra. It's also no reason not to have announcements from the driver. Part of what CTC does is to explain and liaise with train drivers who are on the line ahead... So surely the driver can pass it on?

By not acting and also not providing updates, one eejit might be tempted to take matters into their own hands, but that isn't Irish Rail's fault though.

I agree they should of been given updates and drivers should have enough inelegance to use their head even if they make up an excuse to update passengers.

It's likely a DART had entered the next signalling area and that is why they couldn't reverse as quickly even if they are miles apart it would likely cause the signalling system go into fail safe mode and make it a lot worse.

I is their responsibility. Passengers de-training themselves away from stations is a known phenomenon.
    I've clarified the point, am too tired to make points now :/

Generally within Europe it's considered best practice to give updates when a train stops for unexpected reasons within five minutes at the very latest.

The UK for example has this in it's code of practice:
    https://www.raildeliverygroup.com/about-us/publications.html?task=file.download&id=469771025
    On-board employees are also required to make announcements within 2 minutes when the train
    comes to a stop between stations. DOO operators must consider how best to achieve this in their
    local plans.

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »
    Generally within Europe it's considered best practice to give updates when a train stops for unexpected reasons within five minutes at the very latest.

The UK for example has this in it's code of practice

Indeed. It also wouldn't be the first time for Irish Rail that the loudspeakers were defective, entirely out of order, or the driver's microphone had a defect. It also wouldn't be the first time if someone wrote in about it and nothing was done subsequently. Usually the only way to notice is to have a carriage almost to yourself when something goes wrong, and to hear a whisper from the speakers while the train has stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

The derailed train got decent updates from the driver in fairness. But passengers got sick of waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I is their responsibility. Passengers de-training themselves away from stations is a known phenomenon.

Does seem rather silly of people to be forcing the doors open though. Regardless of the whole information thing if people are forcing the doors open that's dangerous in their own right because,

1) They're basically jumping down onto a possibly active line without waiting for staff to get to them and
    2) They're walking on an electrified line. There's the possibility of electrocution.

As for the train itself it looks like it was travelling southbound. Only thing I can think of from the pictures considering its location is the points bar must've snapped as the train hit points causing them to gape and make the train jump the tracks and derail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Infini wrote: »
    Does seem rather silly of people to be forcing the doors open though. Regardless of the whole information thing if people are forcing the doors open that's dangerous in their own right because,

1) They're basically jumping down onto a possibly active line without waiting for staff to get to them and
    2) They're walking on an electrified line. There's the possibility of electrocution.

As for the train itself it looks like it was travelling southbound. Only thing I can think of from the pictures considering its location is the points bar must've snapped as the train hit points causing them to gape and make the train jump the tracks and derail.
    On the bolded, highly unlikely unless the electricity were to arc from the overhead lines to hit someone a la lightning? :confused::confused: Otherise there'd be a risk of electrocution at level crossings, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Irish rail saying no services expected to run between Lansdowne road and bray for rest of evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

cython wrote: »
    On the bolded, highly unlikely unless the electricity were to arc from the overhead lines to hit someone a la lightning? :confused::confused: Otherise there'd be a risk of electrocution at level crossings, after all.

Wires could have been damaged by the derailment

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Typically speaking, what can cause a derailment like this?

How frequent do derailments happen in Ireland?

How is the train rerailed? Is that even a word?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

cython wrote: »

Its DC so unlikely to arc from the overhead lines, but there are wires at track level (return bonds) which take the return current from the train back to the power source.

One of these could have been cut or damaged by the trains wheels and come in contact with the ground. 1500v at 1000's of amps... Goodnight Vienna.

Not to mention the signaling cables that carry hundreds of volts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Its DC so unlikely to arc from the overhead lines, but there are wires at track level (return bonds) which take the return current from the train back to the power source.

One of these could have been cut or damaged by the trains wheels and come in contact with the ground. 1500v at 1000's of amps... Goodnight Vienna.

Not to mention the signaling cables that carry hundreds of volts as well.

Exactly and there is a 1500V feeder cable passing almost directly under the derailment location

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Typically speaking, what can cause a derailment like this?

How frequent do derailments happen in Ireland?

How is the train rerailed? Is that even a word?

Thanks.

Any number of things can cause a derailment including track spreading due to rotten sleepers, points set wrong way, stones in check rails etc. but thankfully serious derailments are few and far between. Likewise there are numerous ways of rerailing depending on how serious ia derailment, location etc. The usual way with minor derailments is to pull the offending vehicles back the way they came off, or to jack them up rerail or lift with a crane - overhead wires in this case will probably mean jacking.

Advertisement