Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi A1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

This is off topic but does anybody understand how the DHL no VAT/duty offer works.
    I did a search but couldn't find any explanation.

I think Vat on mobiles is 23% so how can they ship via DHL from China to Ireland and not pay the VAT?
    You'd expect the straight shipping cost to 20 eurots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

paddy19 wrote:
    This is off topic but does anybody understand how the DHL no VAT/duty offer works. I did a search but couldn't find any explanation.

I'm fairly sure they ship to a European country first then on to Ireland so as far as Irish customs are concerned the item has come from within the E.U

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

NATLOR wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure they ship to a European country first then on to Ireland so as far as Irish customs are concerned the item has come from within the E.U

Yes - but they never actually pay VAT (in most cases - not saying this is what happens for this specific seller but yes VAT & DHL shipping fees + collection costs for VAT would be over 50€ on most phones delivered from China).

In most cases the goods arrive in an EU port with a destination of a company in another EU country (where the VAT is due) - however they essentially disappear and the company often doesn't exist - so this VAT is never paid anywhere.

This situation won't last forever - I predict within 24 months we will be paying full VAT on everything coming from Chinese sellers - this is fraud on a huge scale.

The 20€ is to cover the cost of posting via DHL and keeping this scam running rather than actually paying the VAT

I'm sorry for dragging this way off topic.
    If anyone knows a better home for this discussion please let me know.

WOW, its weird that DHL are part of this.
    I thought the couriers were legally responsible for ensuring the VAT and duty were paid.
    I think they must be trans shipping into Europe and handing to DHL within the EU.

Fugee can you check the DHL tracking log for your shipment and publish it here?

http://www.dhl.ie/en/express/tracking.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

paddy19 wrote: »
    I'm sorry for dragging this way off topic.
    If anyone knows a better home for this discussion please let me know.

WOW, its weird that DHL are part of this.
    I thought the couriers were legally responsible for ensuring the VAT and duty were paid.
    I think they must be trans shipping into Europe and handing to DHL within the EU.

Fugee can you check the DHL tracking log for your shipment and publish it here?

http://www.dhl.ie/en/express/tracking.html

Ask in the Gearbest forum - they recently posted about some new post method to Ireland where you don't need to pay taxes, but couldn't really say who paid these taxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Has anyone encountered a decent case or cover for this yet? Preferably in UK or Ireland. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭davegilly

Has anyone encountered a decent case or cover for this yet? Preferably in UK or Ireland. Thanks.

The one I ordered from geekbuying is ok. It took 7 weeks to get here though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

How long does delivery usually take from China?

Ordered a Note 4 and a Mi A1 from Ali Express (HK Goldway) on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭fugee

Ordered M1 from Goldway 7th and it arrived on the 14th

davegilly wrote: »
    The one I ordered from geekbuying is ok. It took 7 weeks to get here though :(

Sounds great. Thanks. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

I received one today from the ebay seller, took less than a week from the uk and is now selling them 210euro free delivery
    Link page 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

onlyme! wrote: »
    I received one today from the ebay seller, took less than a week from the uk and is now selling them 210euro free delivery
    Link page 4

Does it have a UK or EU power adapter? Considering getting one for my wife as an upgrade from the moto g 4 plus.

fugee wrote: »

Ordered M1 from Goldway 7th and it arrived on the 14th

I ordered one on November 11th. Got a DHL tracking code but it hasn't changed from 'shipment information received' since Monday. Starting to get worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

PaulKK wrote: »
    onlyme! wrote: »
    Link page 4

Does it have a UK or EU power adapter? Considering getting one for my wife as an upgrade from the moto g 4 plus.
    It came with one of them uk adapters so inside will have a foreign charger.... haven't opened yet because its sealed and a xmas pressie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Be great to hear some reports from the people who've received their phones..
    I'm hovering over buying one this last while..

Would also like to hear feedback on decent cases people have found if you don't mind.

Is the phone the same as any of the Redmi range?
    I'd really rather an Otterbox-type case - not sure if this model alone would warrant them making one..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Anyone found this for close to the € 200 mark incl customs or shipped within EU? Wife is looking for new phone and think i'll offer her one of these else use myself if she doesn't like it. Tough choosing between Aliexpress (HK Goldway I assume), eglobalcentral (just came across them but know nothing about them) or some other option?

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Be great to hear some reports from the people who've received their phones..
    I'm hovering over buying one this last while..

Would also like to hear feedback on decent cases people have found if you don't mind.

Is the phone the same as any of the Redmi range?
    I'd really rather an Otterbox-type case - not sure if this model alone would warrant them making one..

I'm very happy with mine. The only gripes so far (very minor) are that the the back button is on the right hand side, away from my thumb, and slow-mo video struggled to focus, but that could have been the conditions I tested it in. Finger print unlock is great, standard Android too. Optical zoom using the second camera is very handy. A new feature I haven't seen before is a timer to switch the phone off at night and back on again in the morning.

Mine came with a free clear, glossy, gel case (not bad) from The Solution Shop but I also bought this which is much better IMHO - https://www.ebay.ie/itm/For-Xiaomi-Mi-A1-Carbon-Fibre-Gel-Case-Cover-Brushed-Shockproof-Hybrid/142573010798

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Would the 4g/32gb model be sufficient if I added an SD card? I don't need a second Sim and don't download movies. Photos and some music only
    Thanks!

dedaw wrote: »
    Would the 4g/32gb model be sufficient if I added an SD card? I don't need a second Sim and don't download movies. Photos and some music only
    Thanks!

I think it's only available 4/64.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Thanks for that. Eglobal is working out at 206, honor buy at 210 with a voucher on each.
    Will the price drop any more?
    Which should I buy from? Who would have fastest delivery?

• Advertisement

dedaw wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Eglobal is working out at 206, honor buy at 210 with a voucher on each.
    Will the price drop any more?
    Which should I buy from? Who would have fastest delivery?

Do you have a link for that price on Honorbuy. Showing as €223 for me (including delivery to Ireland)

There is a 32g version on Aliexpress @€;195 including duty free DHL delivery

https://es.aliexpress.com/store/product/Global-Versi-n-Xiaomi-mi-A1-MiA1-4-GB-32-GB-Snapdragon-625-FDD-Octa-Core/3010045_32840537416.html?spm=a219c.12010615.0.0.277a8aeeLzy7wP

NATLOR wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that price on Honorbuy. Showing as €223 for me (including delivery to Ireland)

There is a 32g version on Aliexpress @€;195 including duty free DHL delivery

https://es.aliexpress.com/store/product/Global-Versi-n-Xiaomi-mi-A1-MiA1-4-GB-32-GB-Snapdragon-625-FDD-Octa-Core/3010045_32840537416.html?spm=a219c.12010615.0.0.277a8aeeLzy7wP

That could be a mistake. I can't see any official specs for a 32gb model.

That could be a mistake. I can't see any official specs for a 32gb model.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-a1-32gb

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭adam240610

g0g wrote: »
    Anyone found this for close to the € 200 mark incl customs or shipped within EU? Wife is looking for new phone and think i'll offer her one of these else use myself if she doesn't like it. Tough choosing between Aliexpress (HK Goldway I assume), eglobalcentral (just came across them but know nothing about them) or some other option?

I got an LG v20 through eglobal, no customs charges. You'd probably get stung using aliexpress though.
    delivery took 7 working days

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

I'm very happy with mine. The only gripes so far (very minor) are that the the back button is on the right hand side, away from my thumb, and slow-mo video struggled to focus, but that could have been the conditions I tested it in. Finger print unlock is great, standard Android too. Optical zoom using the second camera is very handy. A new feature I haven't seen before is a timer to switch the phone off at night and back on again in the morning.

Mine came with a free clear, glossy, gel case (not bad) from The Solution Shop but I also bought this which is much better IMHO - https://www.ebay.ie/itm/For-Xiaomi-Mi-A1-Carbon-Fibre-Gel-Case-Cover-Brushed-Shockproof-Hybrid/142573010798

How was your experience with the solution shop? Any customs, how long did it take to come etc? Had an order on amazon.es but taking far too long! It's.gone back to not available!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I've ordered one from eglobal for my wife.

There was a discount code online giving 5.99 off over 200 so basically got it for approx 202 with the insured shipping.

Expensive day as I ordered a 5t for me :-)

How was your experience with the solution shop? Any customs, how long did it take to come etc? Had an order on amazon.es but taking far too long! It's.gone back to not available!

Great. Ordered Wednesday evening and arrived Friday morning, DHL with tracking. 2 year warranty and free (basic) cover. That's from UK so no taxes.

I ordered from Amazon.se on 9 Nov promised delivery 22 Nov.

Now pushed out to 30 Nov. :mad:

Still waiting on mines from HK Goldway. No sign of it coming yet :(

Ordered on 11th and tracking still hasn't updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

paddy19 wrote: »
    I ordered from Amazon.se on 9 Nov promised delivery 22 Nov.

Now pushed out to 30 Nov. :mad:

Very same with mine and was hoping on delivery today or tomorrow. :mad:

Just cancelled the order with Amazon and bought it through HonorBuy instead.
    Came to €218.51.
    Code for another $5 off : PPLWARE
    Lets hope for a quick delivery!

Advertisement