Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi A1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Supposed to be a Google phone!

So after agonising and following various threads here for over a year I finally went with a Chinese phone. And it looks like it might have turned out the way I feared! Damn it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

2 resolutions in the google help thread:
    1. Please try updating the language to US English on your Google Assistant and check if the issue continues to persist.
    2. Please try Settings > Search Trust agents> Disable smart Lock

and
    Some other forum suggested to clear cache and data of "Launcher3" by going to Settings\Apps\Launcher3\Storage. Now its working smooth with no lag at all. Hope this helps you guys as well.

Finally some other suggestions to use Microsoft Launcher.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭g0g

Anyone had trouble with screen protectors? My wife has tried two different glass ones and both times it's fine in the centre but around the edges it never seals properly and looks rubbish. Are you better using a film shield? Is this a known problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

g0g wrote: »
    Anyone had trouble with screen protectors? My wife has tried two different glass ones and both times it's fine in the centre but around the edges it never seals properly and looks rubbish. Are you better using a film shield? Is this a known problem?

Screen protectors are unnecessary IMHO. The glass it tougher than anything you can stick on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

DPD have managed to lose mine since it arrived into their Athlone Depot On Wednesday, Not a happy muppet this morning

• Advertisement

I've installed nova launcher on mine and got rid of the search bar. Working fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭ra0044

The Muppet wrote: »
    DPD have managed to lose mine since it arrived into their Athlone Depot On Wednesday, Not a happy muppet this morning

Hi.

I feel your pain. They did the same with mine earlier this month. I have heard of a couple of other people who have had the same happen to them in the last couple of months.

I hope you have more luck sorting it out than I did. Between DPD and eglobal central who I ordered mine from they possibly have the worst customer service i have had the misfortune of coming across.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted.

ra0044 wrote: »
    Hi.

I feel your pain. They did the same with mine earlier this month. I have heard of a couple of other people who have had the same happen to them in the last couple of months.

I hope you have more luck sorting it out than I did. Between DPD and eglobal central who I ordered mine from they possibly have the worst customer service i have had the misfortune of coming across.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted.

ooh it was eglobal , i went with the insured delivery so hopefully it will be sorted , did you get sorted for yours?

mine was scanned into DPD's athlone hub on wednesday evening at 9 pm and then vanished into thin air, no photos of it taken , I wonder is it a usual occurance down there given your experience ?

ooh it was eglobal , i went with the insured delivery so hopefully it will be sorted , did you get sorted for yours?

Had to do a credit card chargeback in the end. I made the rookie mistake of using the standard free delivery not the insured one.

Eglobal just stopped answering e.mails and DPD stated it wasn't my issue but eglobal so they wouldn't answer my issues.

Hopefully the insured option is more sucsessfull . I learned a lesson for sure.

Good luck

Had to do a credit card chargeback in the end. I made the rookie mistake of using the standard free delivery not the insured one.

Eglobal just stopped answering e.mails and DPD stated it wasn't my issue but eglobal so they wouldn't answer my issues.

Good luck

Oh I paid by debit card so not sure of the charge back option open to me on that , off to check that out now.

Thansk for

• Advertisement

Oh I paid by debit card so not sure of the charge back option open to me on that , off to check that out now.

Thansk for

Good luck.

Good luck

Out of interest did yours arrive into DPD . Did they scan it ? they did scan mine soit deginitely arrived there . I would not accept it if they claimed no responsibilty if it came down to that .

To be fair to eglobal they do say on their site if you don't take the insured delivery option you have to claim from the courier if it goes missing.

Out of interest did yours arrive into DPD . Did they scan it ? they did scan mine soit deginitely arrived there . I would not accept it if they claimed no responsibilty if it came down to that .

To be fair to eglobal they do say on their site if you don't take the insured delivery option you have to claim from the courier if it goes missing.

Mine arrived in to Athlone and was scanned and a photo taken of the parcel. It " was lodt" sometimes after that.

Eglobal do say you have to claim off the courier and that they will help with any info etc that the courier needs. What they didnt mention is that the courier wont deal with you as there cobtract is with eglobal. I asked eglobal for a couple of bits of info regarding dates podted and packing details as well as a note saying to deal with me but nothing but silence.

I assume eglobal claim against dpd themselves as the package was insured by eglobal. I got that much out of dpd.

Thanks , that's very helpful. I will go the charge back route if I gat any of that messing .

Sounds like there could possibly be something sinister happening this end , phones can't be just vanishing onto thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭corkie

January 2018 Security Patch Reportedly Rolling out to Mi A1 Oreo Beta Testers
    If you missed out on the Oreo beta sign-up, good news: There’s a way to install the Oreo beta without losing data.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So my girlfriend got her Mi A1 on Christmas day and it's fantastic. A really lovely device. It feels great in the hand with lovely materials all over. The stock android experience is perfect and it seems to be just an amazing phone for the price. The battery life is amazing too. Last night the battery was showing 76% with 2.5 hours of screen on time, I'd say it'll last 3 days between charges at this rate!

I just wish the flipping thing had NFC. Knowing Xiaomi there will probably be a new version in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭g0g

I know asked a million times, but current best price to buy from or via EU? I bought my wife's from HK Goldway who no longer offer that route. Mi Global Store on Ali Express are offering the same option, but mad price for black. eglobal seem to have mixed reviews on here. I was on the verge of buying from geekbuying DE warehouse for € 210, then they advise it's another € 15 shipping and takes up to 15 days (which suggests to me that they might not even physically have it in stock in Germany). There's one on adverts for 220 but it's gold and I need black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

g0g wrote: »
    I know asked a million times, but current best price to buy from or via EU? I bought my wife's from HK Goldway who no longer offer that route. Mi Global Store on Ali Express are offering the same option, but mad price for black. eglobal seem to have mixed reviews on here. I was on the verge of buying from geekbuying DE warehouse for € 210, then they advise it's another € 15 shipping and takes up to 15 days (which suggests to me that they might not even physically have it in stock in Germany). There's one on adverts for 220 but it's gold and I need black.

Geekbuying are usually accurate with their stock notices if they didn't have it it would say 'in stock notice'.
    Very few options available for the black and prices have one up a good bit in the last month. I'd go with Geekbuying

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Mine arrived 2 days ago and I'm thrilled with it. A definite step up from the previous redmi note 4 I had. I haven't had a chance to try out the camera much, but so far so good! The only bad bit is that it is quite slippy! I've ordered a case so I just have to not drop it until that arrives :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Really loving this phone. Great piece of kit.

Has anyone came across any edge to edge screen protectors yet? I'm just using one that came with the phone and it looks awful.

• Advertisement

Anyone else having problems this morning? I was prompted for an update first thing this morning. Since then, using the fingerprint scanner crashes the phone...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,138 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Anyone else having problems this morning? I was prompted for an update first thing this morning. Since then, using the fingerprint scanner crashes the phone...

No problems here.

On android 7.1.2,
    December 1st security patch.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    No problems here.

On android 7.1.2,
    December 1st security patch.

I updated to 8.0.0 the this morning and fingerprint scanner is crashing the phone! I've just turned it off for now after numerous reboots. I'll try it again in a few days, see if it has sorted itself out.

I updated to 8.0.0 the this morning and fingerprint scanner is crashing the phone! I've just turned it off for now after numerous reboots. I'll try it again in a few days, see if it has sorted itself out.

Got the notification to update this morning but haven't done it yet. Think I'll wait now. Keep us updated!

Got the notification to update this morning but haven't done it yet. Think I'll wait now. Keep us updated!

2 more crashes since, bth related to pressing the power button quickly after the screen went to lock screen.

2 more crashes since, bth related to pressing the power button quickly after the screen went to lock screen.

Wonder is anyone else having issues. Don't want to update if it's full of bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

Updated to 8.

Seems to be very fast but haven't done any scientific before and after measurements.

No problem with fingerprint but my favorite fast no tracker browser Ghostery keeps hanging.

I wouldn't be in any rush to update.

There is a cost to being an early afaptor!

I noticed a bit of a twist in the chassis of my a1 yesterday. Thought I was imagining it at first but when I placed it face down on a flat surface it was definitely there! Not good.

Bahanaman wrote: »
    I noticed a bit of a twist in the chassis of my a1 yesterday. Thought I was imagining it at first but when I placed it face down on a flat surface it was definitely there! Not good.

Battery swollen do you reckon?

Updated to Oreo and everything seems to be working fine. Haven't noticed any bugs yet.

Haven't managed to get the picture in picture working yet but haven't had much time to mess around with it.

• Advertisement

Updated to Oreo and everything seems to be working fine. Haven't noticed any bugs yet.

Haven't managed to get the picture in picture working yet but haven't had much time to mess around with it.

Battery swollen do you reckon?

Dunno. Battery seems to be holding its charge OK still and there hasn't been any overheating. There seems to have been other examples of bending on mi forums. It is a thin phone. I definitely wouldn't be carrying it around in my back pocket.

I haven't had any notice of the oreo update yet.

Advertisement