Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi A1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Was planning on posting this evening to see if there were any recommendations for a case/cover for the mi a1. But then disaster struck, my mi a1 got knocked to the floor and the screen got badly cracked/shattered. Have it about 2 months and it's been a brilliant phone and the stock android is great. Great bang for the buck.

Could I get the screen fixed. I guess I can't walk into a shop and get it replaced as it's unlikely they would have a replacement screen?

Would it be possible to source and change the screen myself. Anyone done this?

Or am I better to take the hit and replace the phone with another mi a1 or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just buy the screen and replace it yourself - Google and Youtube is your friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

gooner99 wrote: »
    Was planning on posting this evening to see if there were any recommendations for a case/cover for the mi a1. But then disaster struck, my mi a1 got knocked to the floor and the screen got badly cracked/shattered. Have it about 2 months and it's been a brilliant phone and the stock android is great. Great bang for the buck.

Could I get the screen fixed. I guess I can't walk into a shop and get it replaced as it's unlikely they would have a replacement screen?

Would it be possible to source and change the screen myself. Anyone done this?

Or am I better to take the hit and replace the phone with another mi a1 or similar?

Contact Xaoimi for a warranty replacement and see what they quote. I know I got the screen on a OnePlus repaired by the manufacturer for 80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Just been prompted to do the oreo update. Wondering whether to go ahead or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I did a factory reset last night, let the update install and all good now, lock screen and fingerprint scanner issues resolved - phew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Just been prompted to do the oreo update. Wondering whether to go ahead or not...
    I haven't noticed any issues/bugs with my update yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

My camera wouldn't open, but a restart fixed it. No other issues I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭paddy19

"Just been prompted to do the oreo update. Wondering whether to go ahead or not..."

My advise, resist the temptation and wait.

A fair chance that one of your apps may not work.

It's a right pain to downgrade to Nougat.

Too late! I couldn't help myself.... Thankfully there hasn't been a problem so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Got the update notification today too. Gonna give it a while in case there are any bugs. Had a bad experience with a Samsung S3 update a number of years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

no problems at all with the 8 update

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

What updates were made?
    Updated myself but don't notice anything different......:o

Some small changes in appearance. Call making screen has changed also. Some apps disappeared from the home screen and had to be replaced there. Also the call and contact icons disappeared from the bottom bar for some reason. Again I just put them back and everything seems to be working grand!

the biggest change i see is the 'settings' interface... been tidied up a fair bit

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rahern

Where's the best place to buy this at the moment to recieve within 2 weeks thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

rahern wrote: »
    Where's the best place to buy this at the moment to recieve within 2 weeks thanks

Also wondering, looking for special red edition one, Im upgrading from r3 note and its a bug Rom on it, anyone any experiance like this on the this model?

Since the oreo update, every time I lose phone signal I get a sound and vibration notification. It happens quite often where I live and is becoming annoying! I've looked all through the settings and can't find a solution. Has anyone any ideas?

Just noticed new nicer style emojis on my SwiftKey keyboard. Dunno if that's a result of the oreo update or not.

Since the oreo update, every time I lose phone signal I get a sound and vibration notification. It happens quite often where I live and is becoming annoying! I've looked all through the settings and can't find a solution. Has anyone any ideas?

inversely, that used to happen with mine under android 7, but has actually stopped under 8

:)

anyway, i think the answer is this:
    go to settings -> Apps and notifications -> notifications -> on the right corner click on ... and select show system apps. Find Phone Services app , click on Alerts - importance, select medium/ no sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭NATLOR

My O/H got the update the other day but held off installing now its gone,checking for updates just says phone up to date :confused:

• Advertisement

NATLOR wrote: »
    My O/H got the update the other day but held off installing now its gone,checking for updates just says phone up to date :confused:

Weird, I was holding off too and had just left the notification there. Read your post and just went to check, and exact same thing here.

Weird, I was holding off too and had just left the notification there. Read your post and just went to check, and exact same thing here.

Did a quick google and seemingly if you dont accept the update after a certain time its moved on to someone else but is issued again in the next batch of roll
    outs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Also looking to get on the brigade and am wondering where is the best place to pick one of these up.

I got 2 just before Christmas. One from Geekbuying using the Italian warehouse option (only 4 euro for DHL delivery) 2nd one from MI global store on Ali express (20 euro extra for DHL delivery but no customs guaranteed)

Both orders were processing for about a week then took 3 days to land at my door so would recommend either option if available

Did a quick google and seemingly if you dont accept the update after a certain time its moved on to someone else but is issued again in the next batch of roll
    outs

Probably a good thing. It'll stop me updating when I really want to wait a little while just in case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Just bought from honorbuy based on looking back through the thread. Worked out at €211.64 after using code "honorbuy", ships from Italy so should have it next week. You can probably get it cheaper from Hong Kong on another website but I wanted it soon.

https://www.honorbuy.com/199-xiaomi-mi-a1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Are there any reputable EU sellers offering this? Amazon Spain haven't sold it directly for a few weeks

I'd like to buy two for my company, but I doubt any of the Chinese sellers are paying VAT, even with EU warehouses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I'd like to buy two for my company, but I doubt any of the Chinese sellers are paying VAT, even with EU warehouses

They pay the VAT when it's imported to the EU shop. That's why shipping from China is initially cheaper.

Looks like the update has been pulled and to be re released shortly

http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1316545&extra=page%3D1&mobile=2

• Advertisement

Looks like the update has been pulled and to be re released shortly

http://en.miui.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1316545&extra=page%3D1&mobile=2

Wonder why it was pulled and what the bugs are? Must be significant if they pulled the update. Can't find any more info online.

Advertisement