Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland SFC Final: Dublin v Mayo. Sunday 17th @ 3:30pm **(MOD NOTE POST#2 #395)**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah have that feeling its Mayos Day

Coming from a jealous Waterford man

Just took 4/1 on a Dublin -9 handicap. 50 blips. feck it ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

blanch152 wrote: »
    Getting back to the match tomorrow, I see some have been giving their predictions for the result.

For me, I can't see Mayo winning it, but Dublin might lose it. Dublin are a far better team 1-15 let alone the substitutes, but like any match, that is only on paper. It all depends on Dublin showing up. If they do, Dublin can win by up to ten points. If they don't, another result is possible.

I really can't see Dublin not turning up so it would take something calamitous - an injury to Cluxton or Kilkenny, a refereeing mistake, and Mayo having the game of their lives to see an upset.

I think Dublin could win it by a large margin as well.

Hope mayo will do it but i think it's Dublin by five at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Panrich

Your premise is false. Dublin getting a narrow victory after under-performing does not necessarily mean that all narrow victories were due to Dublin under-performing.

My premise is based on the evidence of past results. Your premise that Dublin under-performed presents the very basic problem of what evidence you can present that backs that up.

If you believe that Dublin only under-performed last year, then you are positing that Dublin improved by a much greater amount between 2015 to 2016 than Mayo did. There is no direct championship evidence to base that on except sticking your finger in the air and guessing as the games between the teams remain close and do not support that.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

No wonder the bookies are making so much money :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Delusional. The Mayo folk are some people for having a chip on their shoulders towards Dublin when in reality they are from the arse of nowhere. This will be the equivalent of the Tyrone game.
    Truly delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Looking forward to an epic game today. I think it'll be close unless Mayo don't turn up. In this case Dublin will destroy them. If Dublin don't turn up, it'll be a close game and Mayo could well win it. I don't think many people outside of Mayo honestly think Mayo will win if BOTH teams bring their A game.

I'd say there could be an added bit of pressure on Dublin today that could work in Mayo's favour. Firstly, Dublin are going for 3 in a row. Hasn't been done since Kerry finished it off in '86. That's over 30 years ago and there is an opportunity of further greatness for Dublin if they do it today. That comes with pressure. Secondly, this is a better Mayo team, or a least a more confident one (if that was possible!!), than before. Eventually you have to think they'll win one....who wants to be on the team that loses to them in a final?? The team that loses will nearly be as remembered as the Mayo team that win it (think the Kerry team that lost to Offaly and how their legacy was probably damaged even though they already achieved greatness)! That also comes with pressure......but of all the teams out there, you have to think Dublin are best placed to deal with this pressure.

On Mayo, my own view is that they have a great chance but I can't help thinking they are being built up too much on the back of the replay win against Kerry. Mayo deserved to win and were the better team on the day but there's a few things from that semi that should be remembered. Firstly, they were lucky to get the replay, not that they didn't deserve it but more so that they equalized in injury time and sheahan missed that free to win it. Any team that scores an equalizer deep into injury time whether they are the better team or not, are lucky, simple as. Secondly, in the replay, there were 2 key events in the second half which could have changed the outcome. Firstly the DOS black card was the wrong call by the ref. DOS was brought on to run at the mayo defense along with James OD. I thought Kerry came out in that second half with a nothing to lose attitude to run at them and go for goals....that plan probably went up in smoke to a degree with the black card so early in the 2nd half. Secondly, there was a triple save mid way through the half which would have brought it back to a 2 or 3 point game I think and swung things around in Kerry's favour by virtue of the boost it would have given them and natural momentum. Kerry did get to within 4 points at one stage I think in any case. Mayo did great to close out the game comfortably and never really looked like they might blow it but had those two incidents gone in Kerry's favour, I wonder what might have happened. At the end of the day, they only had one score more than Kerry, for all the negative feedback on Kerry, but 2 of those were goals and that made it comfortable.

I cannot see Dublin being as chaotic in defense as Kerry were so its hard to see Mayo having it as handy in attack against Dublin. But Dublin don't do easy final wins so if Mayo perform and believe, it could go either way!! But maybe this Dublin team are due a memorable final performance for the ages??

franklyon wrote: »
    No wonder the bookies are making so much money :pac:

Could be a decent bet but I think that odds of 4/1 are poor.

If the odds were longer I would back it as well.

Think it could be the equivalent of the Tyrone game as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

kala85 wrote: »
    Could be a decent bet but I think that odds of 4/1 are poor.

If the odds were longer I would back it as well.

Mayo -6 @ 20/1 is where the value is.

Mayo -6 @ 20/1 is where the value is.

That will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

As said earlier, the difference between these teams is, more or less, that if Mayo under-perform they will be hammered. However an under-performing Dublin could still (and probably will) win. Personally, I'm fed up feeling sorry for Mayo and think this Dublin team might deserve all the accolades of greatness. I'm still unsure who I'll be shouting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Panrich wrote: »
    My premise is based on the evidence of past results. Your premise that Dublin under-performed presents the very basic problem of what evidence you can present that backs that up.

Best check who you are replying to, I never presented any premise. I simply pointed out that what you posted was faulty logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Prove it.

Why respond like that, I would suspect that quite a lot of people can see a comprehensive Dublin win on the cards? I certainly do, and threw a few bets on it myself.

Any one have the schedule for the day arrival times of teams etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Why respond like that, I would suspect that quite a lot of people can see a comprehensive Dublin win on the cards? I certainly do, and threw a few bets on it myself.

Because that poster talks out of his hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

Think we need a good final today to save a very poor championship bar a few early rounds. Mayo v kerry (draw) only came that sounds out in latter rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Panrich

Best check who you are replying to, I never presented any premise. I simply pointed out that what you posted was faulty logic.

Occam's Razor FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    I'm confident
    Why wouldn't I be ?
    I'll say it again
    There will some amount of revisionism again Monday morning .
    Weren't Kerry supposed to be playing Dublin ?
    Lots on here "couldn't see past a Dublin Kerry final "
    But then Kerry just "didn't perform "
    Like Jim Gavin said Dublin didn't last year in the final
    Why is that?
    Were both teams playing A vs B games or was there another team involved ?

See ye tomorrow boys
    We are waiting

Delusional. The Mayo folk are some people for having a chip on their shoulders towards Dublin when in reality they are from the arse of nowhere. This will be the equivalent of the Tyrone game.
    What part of my post is delusional ?
    What part points to me having a chip on my shoulder about Dublin ?
    I have nothing but grudging admiration for this team and have not to distant memories of a couple of big victories over other Dublin teams .
    Dublin might win. Mayo might win . Barring one team going down to 13 players there will be little more than a kick of the ball in it either way.
    Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional

• Site Banned Posts: 103 ✭✭UncleAlbert00

David Clifford looks like he's grown by a foot since the semi-final. What a talent Kerry have on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

David Clifford looks like he's grown by a foot since the semi-final. What a talent Kerry have on their hands.

Thankfully Fitzmaurice is so thick headed that he didn't throw him in this year.

Hopefully he gets splinters up his hole next year in the senior panel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

David Clifford is like that Fifa player you create who's about two foot taller than everyone else and is 99 in every attribute. That pass for the third goal is as good a pass you'll ever see.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,673 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Mark Harte is doing the co-commentary on TG4. No falling out between Tyrone and TG4?

• Site Banned Posts: 103 ✭✭UncleAlbert00

Thankfully Fitzmaurice is so thick headed that he didn't throw him in this year.

Have to laugh every time someone says this. You're no longer allowed to play county minor and senior in the same year.

Educate yourself.

Have to laugh every time someone says this. You're no longer allowed to play county minor and senior in the same year.

Educate yourself.
    And white rightly so
    He is a big boy for his age
    But he is a boy
    He is time enough yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Derry are better than this but look like a team who didn't believe they could win today. Kerry better organised defensively as well as opposed to Derry who are very open at the back which is criminal against a talent like Clifford.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,531 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Surely the only way Mayo wins is if Dublin literally don't. A win by default?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,673 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Surely the only way Mayo wins is if Dublin literally don't. A win by default?

That's two ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Sad reality is that he'll probably be playing Aussie football by then. It'd be a huge loss to the GAA but there's no way there aren't teams over there with a huge interest and the prospect of getting paid 9 figures (average wage in the league is well over 300k) after finishing a rookie contract and some of the finest weather in the world is very tough to turn down for even the most loyal young players.

No doubt Kennelly has been chatting away to him, no matter how often he denies it.

martyos121 wrote: »

Sad reality is that he'll probably be playing Aussie football by then. It'd be a huge loss to the GAA but there's no way there aren't teams over there with a huge interest and the prospect of getting paid 9 figures (average wage in the league is well over 300k) after finishing a rookie contract and some of the finest weather in the world is very tough to turn down for even the most loyal young players.

No doubt Kennelly has been chatting away to him, no matter how often he denies it.
    Scholarship in UL and accommodation paid maybe might tip the balance .........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Is this another Sky Sports job today?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement