Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-Ireland SFC Final: Dublin v Mayo. Sunday 17th @ 3:30pm **(MOD NOTE POST#2 #395)**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

kala85 wrote: »
    The players are the most important and as a supporter I completely respect them. They put their lives on hold and give the sacrifices.

Supporters turn up at the match and follow the teams but it's the players who train and play so hard that makes the team successful.

Without a good team and a reasonably successful one people won't go to the games and follow them.

Without people willing to attend the players don't put in the effort in the first place.Nobody playing football and hurling at home in their garden dreaming of playing for their county dreams of going on to play in an empty stadium.

The reason why winning the all ireland matters is because people care about it if nobody in ireland cared about the all ireland championships they wouldn't have the appeal they have and therefore players won't make the sacrifices they make in order to win the all ireland.

The fans of each county through paying for ticket etc subsidize the county team so that they are able to play intercounty football/hurling in the first place.

At club level the players are the most important stakeholders but at county level the supporters are the most important people involved in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

km79 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say the team is glued to this thread tonight
    Hope those 2 young ladeens ye have named in the half forward line are tucked up in bed tonight and ready for the mayo half back line ;)

This thread is only reflective of the general mood out there. I have never met so many Mayo people so confident. In other years it was bad, but this year, the comedown when they lose will be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The supporters are far more important to Intercounty GAA than the players are. Intercounty GAA exists as an entertainment vehicle and without the people who go to matches it doesn't exist.

If you want to know just how wrong this is try going to watch some lower level womens intercounty games, played in front of negligible crowds and yet year on year they continue on, fulfilling their fixtures and representing their counties.

Thats one end of the scale, but long before you get from there to the big boys in the AI final there are hundreds of intercounty games at all levels that most supporters wouldn't even dream of going to watch. I'm really sure its the supporters keeping the Nicky Rackard cup going alright. :rolleyes:

There are thousands of Gaelic games played where the supporters are numbered in the tens, which makes it very silly to start claiming that without the supporters intercounty games wouldn't exist. They do exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

Last September final tomorrow for 3 years at least. I for one will miss the September build up and the GAA are selling themselves short imo. Anyway may the best team win tomorrin gw, It's hard to look by Dublin but there might be one big finish in this mayo team. There on the go since 2011 and deserve one
    But sport can be cruel

People slating pitch invasions and so on, yet they seem to be fine at provincial grounds. Either enforce it or not at all grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

It seems like a lot of people are hopeful for Mayo this year. I'm not much of a GAA fan but I love beating culchies in finals because so many of them hate us. Up the Dubs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

If you want to know just how wrong this is try going to watch some lower level womens intercounty games, played in front of negligible crowds and yet year on year they continue on, fulfilling their fixtures and representing their counties.

Thats one end of the scale, but long before you get from there to the big boys in the AI final there are hundreds of intercounty games at all levels that most supporters wouldn't even dream of going to watch. I'm really sure its the supporters keeping the Nicky Rackard cup going alright. :rolleyes:

There are thousands of Gaelic games played where the supporters are numbered in the tens, which makes it very silly to start claiming that without the supporters intercounty games wouldn't exist. They do exist.

But those things don't matter compared to the all ireland football and hurling finals.Players at the lower levels don't make anywhere near the sacrifices players at the top level make, nowhere close to it. Kilkenny fielded a football tam for years but they were never any good because nobody in the county cared about the sport and so players weren't willing to put in the same efforts to drive themselves to become better, same applies for the smaller hurling counties.

The all ireland finals in football and hurling really matter to people and it drives everything behind them and drives people to want to play for their county and make the sacrifices they do.

But those things don't matter compared to the all ireland football and hurling finals.Players at the lower levels don't make anywhere near the sacrifices players at the top level make, nowhere close to it. Kilkenny fielded a football tam for years but they were never any good because nobody in the county cared about the sport and so players weren't willing to put in the same efforts to drive themselves to become better, same applies for the smaller hurling counties.

The all ireland finals in football and hurling really matter to people and it drives everything behind them and drives people to want to play for their county and make the sacrifices they do.

You are forgetting about the club.

Even someone like Alan Brogan, with all his medals, really regrets the lack of success with his club. The heartbeat of the GAA is the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

It seems like a lot of people are hopeful for Mayo this year. I'm not much of a GAA fan but I love beating culchies in finals because so many of them hate us. Up the Dubs!

Even if Mayo lose, they still can console themselves with the fact that they don't have to live in Dublin ;)
    Mayo is a beautiful county.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

blanch152 wrote: »
    This thread is only reflective of the general mood out there. I have never met so many Mayo people so confident. In other years it was bad, but this year, the comedown when they lose will be something else.

Don't know who all these Mayo people that you have met that are so confident,I've haven't met them and I'm living amongst them.

• Advertisement

What utter bullshit. Never mind the quickly shifted goalposts, the very moving of which really show up how weak your argument was in the first place, but trying to claim players at the lower levels don't make as much sacrifices as the big boys is complete and utter bullshit, and further evidence that you don't know what you are talking about.

"Intercounty GAA exists as an entertainment vehicle and without the people who go to matches it doesn't exist."
    "But the vast majority of intercounty games have negligible support yet continue on anyway..."
    "They don't matter"

I believe I will give any further posts from you the respect they deserve.

Getting back to the match tomorrow, I see some have been giving their predictions for the result.

For me, I can't see Mayo winning it, but Dublin might lose it. Dublin are a far better team 1-15 let alone the substitutes, but like any match, that is only on paper. It all depends on Dublin showing up. If they do, Dublin can win by up to ten points. If they don't, another result is possible.

I really can't see Dublin not turning up so it would take something calamitous - an injury to Cluxton or Kilkenny, a refereeing mistake, and Mayo having the game of their lives to see an upset.

Up for the match needs to be axed. Would be great if they could anyalyse the match in depth and key match ups rather then taking absolute gibberish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Even if Mayo lose, they still can console themselves with the fact that they don't have to live in Dublin ;)
    Mayo is a beautiful county.

I'm a city person, couldn't live anywhere else in Ireland. And it rains something like twice as much over there, I can barely handle the weather in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

seligehgit wrote: »

Don't know who all these Mayo people that you have met that are so confident,I've haven't met them and I'm living amongst them.
    I'm confident
    Why wouldn't I be ?
    I'll say it again
    There will some amount of revisionism again Monday morning .
    Weren't Kerry supposed to be playing Dublin ?
    Lots on here "couldn't see past a Dublin Kerry final "
    But then Kerry just "didn't perform "
    Like Jim Gavin said Dublin didn't last year in the final
    Why is that?
    Were both teams playing A vs B games or was there another team involved ?

See ye tomorrow boys
    We are waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

seligehgit wrote: »

I'm confident
    Why wouldn't I be ?
    I'll say it again
    Why is that?

See ye tomorrow boys
    We are waiting

an injury to Cluxton or Kilkenny,

This is the problem though. An injury to O'Shea, Moran, Keegan or any of their top players and you will see a lot of worried Mayo faces.

If Kilkenny gets injured? That just means Connolly, Flynn or some other all star coming into the team. Kilkenny plays a vital role but I have little doubt that Dublin could suffer the loss immeasurably better than Mayo would. Cluxton may be the only Dublin player that isn't easily replaced but thats one player, in a position I would imagine is very much less susceptible to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I write us off every year though I did think we would beat Donegal in that final, I've a feeling this will be our year esp after beating kerry....don't ask me why please :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Getting back to the match tomorrow, I see some have been giving their predictions for the result.

For me, I can't see Mayo winning it, but Dublin might lose it. Dublin are a far better team 1-15 let alone the substitutes, but like any match, that is only on paper. It all depends on Dublin showing up. If they do, Dublin can win by up to ten points. If they don't, another result is possible.

I really can't see Dublin not turning up so it would take something calamitous - an injury to Cluxton or Kilkenny, a refereeing mistake, and Mayo having the game of their lives to see an upset.

Christ, you've an awful short memory.

Panrich wrote: »
    Christ, you've an awful short memory.

Well, over the last four seasons, I remember only one championship defeat for Dublin, a day they didn't turn up, panicked, had a few poor refereeing decisions and resulted in them losing. Donegal didn't win that game, Dublin lost it. Same for tomorrow, Mayo can't win but Dublin might lose. Very unlikely though.

Sure I can remember back before then, but that was back before Gavin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Well, over the last four seasons, I remember only one championship defeat for Dublin, a day they didn't turn up, panicked, had a few poor refereeing decisions and resulted in them losing. Donegal didn't win that game, Dublin lost it. Same for tomorrow, Mayo can't win but Dublin might lose. Very unlikely though.

And let us not forget how after 20min it was just about to turn into a procession

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I have a feeling in my waters that the years of excuse making may be at an end- Mayo by 2 for me.

*feeling in waters may be linked to Red wine consumption

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Best of luck to both sets of players & supporters for today, hope it's a great game! Up the Dubs!!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I just hope the likes of McMahon, Cooper, the O'Connors and AOS play football instead of their marker to be honest. Sick of the nonsense they get up to.

Best of luck to both sides.

Jim Gavin is usually a consummate operator in the media but I feel that he has dropped a bit of a clanger in the run-up this time by announcing that Dublin under-performed in both finals last year and the media and Dublin fans have lapped that up without question (as per the highlighted above).
    Now you could make a case for that if those two games were outliers in an overall trend on Dublin thrashing Mayo in championship, but that has not been the case for the past 5 years.
    If Dublin under-performed last year, then they also under-performed in 2015, 2013 and 2012 against Mayo. So either Dublin always under-perform against Mayo or they are two evenly matched teams. Either way, he is heaping pressure on his own players to put in a bigger performance today than they have been capable of so far in his reign. As I said, that is unlike him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

km79 wrote: »
    I'm confident
    Why wouldn't I be ?
    I'll say it again
    Why is that?

See ye tomorrow boys
    We are waiting

Delusional. The Mayo folk are some people for having a chip on their shoulders towards Dublin when in reality they are from the arse of nowhere. This will be the equivalent of the Tyrone game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Jim Gavin is usually a consummate operator in the media but I feel that he has dropped a bit of a clanger in the run-up this time by announcing that Dublin under-performed in both finals last year and the media and Dublin fans have lapped that up without question (as per the highlighted above).
    Now you could make a case for that if those two games were outliers in an overall trend on Dublin thrashing Mayo in championship, but that has not been the case for the past 5 years.
    If Dublin under-performed last year, then they also under-performed in 2015, 2013 and 2012 against Mayo. So either Dublin always under-perform against Mayo or they are two evenly matched teams. Either way, he is heaping pressure on his own players to put in a bigger performance today than they have been capable of so far in his reign. As I said, that is unlike him.
    rubbish, Dublin took their foot of the pedal last year and Mayo nearly slipped in. End of!

rubbish, Dublin took their foot of the pedal last year and Mayo nearly slipped in. End of!

And 2015 when they were brought to a replay?
    Or 2013 when they won by a point?
    Or 2012 when they lost?

More pedal trouble?

Your premise is false. Dublin getting a narrow victory after under-performing does not necessarily mean that all narrow victories were due to Dublin under-performing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah have that feeling its Mayos Day

Coming from a jealous Waterford man

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement