Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Also just to say I think we should probably close this thread soon, as Ivan is now off air, should we? Up to you. Get your final praise or criticism in, and a mod shall probably close the thread in the coming days

I think it is interesting to discuss his replacement, and then close it? No?

Re Karl Dieter, etc, I guess it depends if people want a "presenter presenter" or a potential maverick like Ivan was. One thing I liked about Ivan was his lack of polish and that he wasn't samey samey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think it is interesting to discuss his replacement, and then close it? No?

Re Karl Dieter, etc, I guess it depends if people want a "presenter presenter" or a potential maverick like Ivan was. One thing I liked about Ivan was his lack of polish and that he wasn't samey samey.

But he also knew his stuff, or most of it; IMO he was as well up as any Irish radio presenter on the key fields of politics, business and sport.
    I mean, Peter Casey would certainly be a maverick but I don't think he would succeed as a radio presenter on that basis alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Also just to say I think we should probably close this thread soon, as Ivan is now off air, should we? Up to you. Get your final praise or criticism in, and a mod shall probably close the thread in the coming days

the hard shoulder is still going. maybe change the thread title?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

the show is still on the air and not due to be replaced for another month

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

https://www.newstalk.com/news/newstalk-new-weekday-schedule-1056236

“ Newstalk today revealed its new weekday schedule, which will start on 31st August.

Ciara Kelly, who has presented Newstalk’s Lunchtime Live for nearly three years, will join Shane Coleman as the new co-anchor on Newstalk Breakfast.

Kieran Cuddihy trades early mornings for evening drivetime as the new presenter of The Hard Shoulder and Andrea Gilligan is announced as the new host of Lunchtime Live.”

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

So Kieran Cuddihy is taking over from Ivan. Strange one in my opinion. Ciara Kelly moving to the breakfast show.

Bizarre moving Cuddihy and not Coleman to Ivan’s “slot”.

I like Andrea Gilligan but would have preferred Susan Keogh taking over from Dr. Ciara Kelly. But, again, the presenter isn’t the “issue” with ‘Lunchtime Live’, it’s the format.

Not really a fan of the breakfast show and not sure moving Dr. Kelly over will have me switching off Marty in the Morning.

The tide is turning…

Bizarre moving Cuddihy and not Coleman to Ivan’s “slot”.

I like Andrea Gilligan but would have preferred Susan Keogh taking over from Dr. Ciara Kelly. But, again, the presenter isn’t the “issue” with ‘Lunchtime Live’, it’s the format.

Not really a fan of the breakfast show and not sure moving Dr. Kelly over will have me switching off Marty in the Morning.

It just shows the real dearth of talent at the station that moving these guys around is the best they can do. Remember Coleman originally came in as a 'political analyst'/stand-in presenter but they realised they needed him presenting one of the big news shows, beize and all as he is, because they had so few alternatives with his knowledge/experience.

I presume they're moving Ciara Kelly to breakfast because they need their biggest guns where the biggest potential audience is?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Cuddihy is a strange choice. I don’t rate him so I’ll be switching to Matt Cooper. Then again, his show has gone downhill in recent years so maybe I’ll try Mary Wilson.

I remember Susan Keogh stood in for Matt Cooper on the Last Word a couple of years ago and I thought she did well. I think she would have been a better choice from the current Newstalk crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

“ Newstalk today revealed its new weekday schedule, which will start on 31st August.

Ciara Kelly, who has presented Newstalk’s Lunchtime Live for nearly three years, will join Shane Coleman as the new co-anchor on Newstalk Breakfast.

Kieran Cuddihy trades early mornings for evening drivetime as the new presenter of The Hard Shoulder and Andrea Gilligan is announced as the new host of Lunchtime Live.”

Lots of questions and surprise moves there.

Nice to see Gilligan get a chance to front a show on her own.

I’m surprised that it was Cuddihy and not Coleman that got the drive time gig. I’m not a massive fan of either, but I do think Coleman is an awful lot better than Cuddihy.

Kelly previously presented the Breakfast Show for a while with Coleman before getting lunchtime, and from memory he enjoyed teasing her in the same way he used to tease Williams. She wasn’t great (from memory) on the meatier and political topics but maybe she’ll provide balance to Coleman.

Is this a demotion for Kelly? Part of me thinks so. Or are they putting her with Coleman for experience before letting her fly solo on Drivetime in a year or two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I’m surprised that it was Cuddihy and not Coleman that got the drive time gig. I’m not a massive fan of either, but I do think Coleman is an awful lot better than Cuddihy.

Kelly previously presented the Breakfast Show for a while with Coleman before getting lunchtime, and from memory he enjoyed teasing her in the same way he used to tease Williams. She wasn’t great (from memory) on the meatier and political topics but maybe she’ll provide balance to Coleman.

Is this a demotion for Kelly? Part of me thinks so. Or are they putting her with Coleman for experience before letting her fly solo on Drivetime in a year or two?

I think it’s a demotion for Kelly and a promotion for Cuddihy. Who on earth would want to get up at 4.30 in the morning.I can’t see it working (I find her annoying) and would say she’s on the way out. I like Shane though and hope she doesn’t drag the show down. Doubt if he’s thrilled about it.

Cuddihy is smarter than Coleman,a little bit off beat sometimes and not as strait laced, a bit more personality.I like him and hope it works.

I don’t think Andrea knows much about anything but is likeable so can only be a lightweight show which is what it was anyway.Have yet to hear an original thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I like Cuddihy. I like his sarcasm and less nicey nice approach. I find Gilligan awful when she has to do Lunchtime (she is grand for news type programs). Kelly and Coleman could be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I’d say Cuddihy is glad that he doesn’t need to get up at 4am every morning to drive from KK to Dublin.

I wouldn’t see it as a demotion. Breakfast and “drivetime” are the two biggest shows a station can have. Sure, she’s lost her own lunchtime slot but she’ll be reaching a, much, bigger audience on the breakfast show.

The tide is turning…

One thing it probably will do is revive the almost extinct Newstalk Breakfast Show Thread I guess......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Wasn't the drivetime slot NT's way of being a little more controversial or, dare I say, slightly right of the extreme left wing approach of the station? George Hook and Ivan Yates always gave me that impression when they, even jokingly, would take on the status quo of things. Listening to them getting a rise out of guests used to often provide me great entertainment on the drive home.

That's what makes me warey of Kieran Cuddihy. In my opinion he's very similar in style to Chris Donoghue - is it too soft an approach? I would have liked to have seen Andrea Gilligan get the drivetime slot as she's far more down the middle and imo very good with current affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭hamburgham

FGR wrote: »
    Wasn't the drivetime slot NT's way of being a little more controversial or, dare I say, slightly right of the extreme left wing approach of the station? George Hook and Ivan Yates always gave me that impression when they, even jokingly, would take on the status quo of things. Listening to them getting a rise out of guests used to often provide me great entertainment on the drive home.

That's what makes me warey of Kieran Cuddihy. In my opinion he's very similar in style to Chris Donoghue - is it too soft an approach? I would have liked to have seen Andrea Gilligan get the drivetime slot as she's far more down the middle and imo very good with current affairs.

Andrea is very likeable but a lightweight.
    Don’t think Kieran is the total wet blanket that Chris was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Demotion for Ciara Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I like Kieran too and think he is another Ivan in the making.
    Where is Chris Donohue now? He was a bore in my view although he worked well with Ivan

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Where is Chris Donohue now? He was a bore in my view although he worked well with Ivan

Went off to work for Fine Gael.

• Advertisement

He's an advisor to Simon Coveney.

I wouldn’t see it as a demotion. Breakfast and “drivetime” are the two biggest shows a station can have.

This is what I think too. Lunchtime is a backwater in comparison. Don't think sharing top billing is necessarily a downgrade either; I'd say she'd be relieved that a 'politics wonk' like Shane will be covering some of the heavier stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not bad work by NT management there. Kieran Cuddihy is quite capable and is motivated to voice his own opinion as Ivan and George were albeit maybe will be more left of centre than right of centre.

Glad to see Andrea get her own major show, she put it in a lot of effort with her early morning show so is finally getting her chance in a major slot.

Ciara moving to Breakfast is curious, will be a lifestyle change as well for someone who still has school going children and I suspect herself and Shane might butt heads a bit but will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

always found Andrea Gilligan more likable than Ciara Kelly when she stood in for her. As for Cuddihy on his own, those reports that Barry Whyte does where he makes you feel bad for getting up and going to work while someone else doesn't have a job will be a serious downer. I don't think Ivan paid too much attention to him, but have a feeling Cuddihy will.

8radio for me after 4 for now maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Ciara moving to Breakfast is curious, will be a lifestyle change as well for someone who still has school going children and I suspect herself and Shane might butt heads a bit but will see.

I think you're right. I remember them both being on a weekly slot on the Right Hook. They don't agree on a whole lot of things.

Ahwell wrote: »
    I think you're right. I remember them both being on a weekly slot on the Right Hook. They don't agree on a whole lot of things.

Coleman would regularly take the proverbial out of Kelly when they co-hosted breakfast for a short time a few years ago (pre her getting the lunchtime show).

the hard shoulder is still going. maybe change the thread title?
    Yeap, good idea. There's hardly any point having a new thread in the interval. —Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Have they said who’s getting the gig? Ciara Kelly is easter doing a phone in show, if she does go to mornings she’s have to rein in the rants a bit and up the professionalism but no better women

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

cudlihy is as PC as they come, how might he be an "Ivan in the making "?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    cudlihy is as PC as they come, how might he be an "Ivan in the making "?

He’s really not. He has zero time for the unions from what I can see. That’s not very PC or ‘woke’ as other Americanised posters like to put it.

Is he left of centre? Sure, but he isn’t this Ultra-lefty that others like to portray him as here.

Advertisement