Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Mick Heaney gave him quite a complimentary send-off recently. link

I pounced on this sentence.
    [Yates' high ratings is] an impressive achievement for a broadcaster whose approach at times seemed to consist of little more than pouring derision on his guests and grouching about liberal shibboleths.

Heaney didn't repeat an earlier description that sticks in my mind, "bloviating".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Did he not have a handy get-out from most of that?:p

10919_697181277020415_84171432891747831_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=85a577&_nc_ohc=3NSa-mtl6usAX-L0NyR&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=282419b9c71017e421b49af8482e567a&oe=5F42D4FA

Not unless that is all he wanted to vote for him.....not enough of them in Enniscorthy to get him over the line!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

BillyBird wrote: »
    Would he still be a massive contributor when you factor in the near €1,500 a week pension he has been on since the age of 42? He's received about €1.4 million in pension payments so far by my calc.

I don't know the numbers but yeah I'd imagine so.

Celtic Bookmakers employed around 250 people at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Cagney on for next 4 weeks he says

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Gavan Reilly would be a good choice to replace Ivan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

I think he said on the living with Lucy show that his house was safe, but I think and I could be wrong that the land isnt. I suppose he has done more than a lot of celebrity types who have gotten massive write downs on their debt.
    I did like him on the radio, in a sea of same old same old pc correctness gone mad presenters, he didn’t give 2 hoots what anyone thought of him and often made for entertaining listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Dutchie

I have had to turn-off Cagney, he has stuttered and stammered his way through all of the topics covered so far.

To be fair to the guy I feel he is better suited to vacuous morning television , he lacks the bite or personal interest to really drill down into the subject matter he is covering on a show like the 'Hard Shoulder'

BillyBird wrote: »
    Would he still be a massive contributor when you factor in the near €1,500 a week pension he has been on since the age of 42? He's received about €1.4 million in pension payments so far by my calc.
    Don't forget that a substantial amount of that went straight back to the Exchequer, so it would be a lot less than 1.4 million. Combine that with obligations from his broadcasting career and Celtic Bookmakers (which was never in trouble with the taxman, it has to be said), and I'd be shocked if Yates was 'in the red'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Gavan Reilly would be a good choice to replace Ivan.
    I feel he'd be too similar to Cooper? Yates was a bit of a court jester compared to Cooper, so I'd imagine they'll want someone with a small bit of contrast to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I feel he'd be too similar to Cooper? Yates was a bit of a court jester compared to Cooper, so I'd imagine they'll want someone with a small bit of contrast to him.

Not another high pitched scone is he.

We have enough of these Cooper / Eamon Ryan types surely?

Drive the listener bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Dutchie wrote: »
    I have had to turn-off Cagney, he has stuttered and stammered his way through all of the topics covered so far.

To be fair to the guy I feel he is better suited to vacuous morning television , he lacks the bite or personal interest to really drill down into the subject matter he is covering on a show like the 'Hard Shoulder'

Spot on ..turned it off after a while ..Cagney has all the appearance of a guy just doing a job as opposed to being genuinely interested in the topics and the guests.

Surely they can get somebody with a bit more fizz and not somebody who sounds a if he is just going thru the motions ?

Whilst enjoying a nice ice cream this household found Cagney a breath of fresh air today

Rather than IY trying at every opportunity to awkwardly shoehorn in his “opinions”(which we all know is an act), Cagney steered the ship professionally and with tact

More of Cagney please NT, we do approve

Found Cagney a breath of fresh air today

Rather than IY trying at every opportunity to awkwardly shoehorn in his “opinions”(which we all know is an act), Cagney steered the ship professionally and with tact

More of Cagney please NT, we do approve

Very good point Beech.

Yates was just an act, on a flagship news prog.thats not what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not another high pitched scone is he.

We have enough of these Cooper / Eamon Ryan types surely?

Drive the listener bonkers.

What's with this 'scone' thing?

Are 'fruitcakes' more to your taste?

What's with this 'scone' thing?

Are 'fruitcakes' more to your taste?

I’d steady up a bit there,dude.

Things could get a bit nasty.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I’d steady up a bit there,dude.

Things could get a bit nasty.....

I still don't know what a scone is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

I can't stand Cooper. I like G.Reilly. Don't see the similarity. It will be impossible to find someone with Ivan style.

Can see rating on his TV and radio slots dropping off quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Matt Cooper is the human equivalent of a Marietta biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I still don't know what a scone is :(

Probably the same sort of coin that plays the auld soldier act, Te...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Thought about his replacement and maybe a longshot could be Karl Dieter. He has filled in for Cooper, not afraid to give his views, just needs to be a bit more polished, but worth a shot

• Advertisement

omerin wrote: »
    Thought about his replacement and maybe a longshot could be Karl Dieter. He has filled in for Cooper, not afraid to give his views, just needs to be a bit more polished, but worth a shot

I don't want polished though. What I loved about Ivan was his lack of polish. Polished presenters are 10 a penny on every station. Ivan could be serious or having a laugh or somewhere in the middle and that was what was great about him.

There is nobody like him on any other station really.

I don't want polished though. What I loved about Ivan was his lack of polish. Polished presenters are 10 a penny on every station. Ivan could be serious or having a laugh or somewhere in the middle and that was what was great about him.

There is nobody like him on any other station really.

Thank God for that.

Pure chancer, not credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

As my fans know I have a low opinion of the bould Ivan but he was stellar compared to the woeful Mark Cagney - and as the latter told us on Monday, he's there for at least 4 weeks! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Del.Monte wrote: »
    As my fans know I have a low opinion of the bould Ivan but he was stellar compared to the woeful Mark Cagney - and as the latter told us on Monday, he's there for at least 4 weeks! :eek:
    Just heard a bit of Cagney there, talking about the fallout from the Pandemic, and is getting all of this 'EU Money'..... He does realise we're paying in more than 3 times what we'll be getting back in this tranche of EU money?

Thank God for that.

Pure chancer, not credible.

Depends if you want samey same old or something a bit different. I always enjoyed his show. However, I could never watch him on TV. Him and Matt Cooper were like an old farts club.

Depends if you want samey same old or something a bit different. I always enjoyed his show. However, I could never watch him on TV. Him and Matt Cooper were like an old farts club.

Cooper way too high -pitched for my ears, I’m afraid.

Way too reedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Mark Cagney is far better than yeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Mark Cagney is far better than yeats.

You've some sense of humour! :D

omerin wrote: »
    Yeah, great idea. He's smart and articulate and can often surprise with some of his views, ie not predictable (Ivan was probably becoming a parody of himself).

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You've some sense of humour! :D

No, he definetly is.

Yates treated the show as his personal rant - it got old very quickly.

Advertisement