Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I'll miss Ivan. He had a devilish streak in him and you never knew whose nose he was going to knock out of joint.

As previously mentioned, it had occurred to me that Matt Cooper might move over to Newstalk, but his numbers are decent on Today FM.

What about Gavan Reilly? He's an impressive media performer, but perhaps too straightlaced for that slot.
    Some decent new journalists coming through like Richard Chambers and Sean Defoe. Might be a bit early for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Bring Back George

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Seve OB wrote: »
    Bring Back George

Good god no, if ever there was a douchebag of a presenter....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I wouldn't mind seeing Shane Coleman doing it to be honest, he is good on breakfast but he is fighting a losing battle against Morning Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

I wouldn't mind seeing Shane Coleman doing it to be honest, he is good on breakfast but he is fighting a losing battle against Morning Ireland.

I used to listen to Newstalk in the morning, gave up despite the fact that I think I probably lean politically in a similar direction to Shane.

Morning Ireland is so much better because, for the most part, it's less about the opinions of the presenters and more about the news.

I'd prefer if they got somebody that was less about the personality and more about the matters at hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,538 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Won’t miss his cartoonish persona at all - yes it was an act, but it grates after a while

I’ll miss his political analysis, he was usually on the ball there.

He was very wrong about the timing of the 2016 election, but I am deeply suspicious that he knew he was wrong. His bookie friends must have made a major killing from his relentless campaign on the radio to convince people there would be a November 2015 election. And by extension his listeners who were foolish enough to believe him lost money.

https://www.thejournal.ie/when-is-the-general-election-2-2357918-Sep2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

As much as he could be full of crap at times, I will miss his show. He really came into his own in the drivetime slot and was a worthy successor to George Hook (who I still think got completely and unfairly shafted by Newstalk).

I only agreed with him about a third of the time but his show was a bit of craic, his sense of humor was entertainingly mischievous and his political coverage (particularly when he went into the granular at election time) was excellent. I wish him well on his retirement.

Only question now is who will they get to replace him? Can't think of any of the current presenters at NT who would want to or be able to do it (and I swear to jaysus if they put Ciara Kelly there I'll be turning the dial back to Radio One for good).

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I caught but a few minutes of the show yesterday when he was interviewing Bertie. I had to laugh as he asked "with your accountancy background would you consider going on Boards"? (I'm paraphrasing I'm sure but certainly words to that effect). :pac:

From the tone of the admittedly very small segment I heard I got the feeling Ivan had some admiration for Ahern. Possibly all he got away with? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,538 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    As much as he could be full of crap at times, I will miss his show. He really came into his own in the drivetime slot and was a worthy successor to George Hook (who I still think got completely and unfairly shafted by Newstalk).

I only agreed with him about a third of the time but his show was a bit of craic, his sense of humor was entertainingly mischievous and his political coverage (particularly when he went into the granular at election time) was excellent. I wish him well on his retirement.

Only question now is who will they get to replace him? Can't think of any of the current presenters at NT who would want to or be able to do it (and I swear to jaysus if they put Ciara Kelly there I'll be turning the dial back to Radio One for good).

I happen to know a bit about Longford Westmeath and by chance I heard him the day he covered it. A complete load of nonsense, just reading from a script and not even knowing who he was talking about. And the script managed to misplace Longford based candidates into Westmeath and vice versa.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seve OB wrote: »
    Bring Back George

He's 79; its quite likely he's not physically up to doing that type of show full-time anymore. He moved to a more sedate show some time ago, then weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Another waste of space who never researches anything properly. He is/was a dire print journalist too. Dil or George or maybe that daft bint Lisa Smith (ex.Army/ISIS). :D

aw wrote: »

What about Gavan Reilly? He's an impressive media performer, but perhaps too straightlaced for that slot.
    Some decent new journalists coming through like Richard Chambers and Sean Defoe. Might be a bit early for them.
    It's only a matter of time until Richard Chambers gets his own programme at Newstalk, I reckon he'll end up in RTE sooner or later. Excellent journalist.

Gavan Reilly, too, but doesn't seem as comfortable outside of political news.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This endless tribute to Ivan is All a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

"I swear to jaysus if they put Ciara Kelly there I'll be turning the dial back to Radio One for good)."

The thought's of her, I turn her over or off these days..

Having said that I do put on Matt Cooper in the evenings as I found Ivan too much of a WUM...

This is all a bit much. You would think Yates was someone of the standard of pat Kenny when in reality he was a chancer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

This endless tribute to Ivan is All a bit much

I turned it off...

.. I had arrived home though and had to bring in the shopping :)

Turning it off, way over the top

Ivan ya made me tune over to Boucher Hayes and that’s some achievement

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This is all a bit much. You would think Yates was someone of the standard of pat Kenny when in reality he was a chancer

Ah would you stop. He was easily their most successful presenter both when he was on Breakfast and drive.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Ah would you stop. He was easily their most successful presenter both when he was on Breakfast and drive.

That says a lot about Newstalk !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Faugheen wrote: »

Found his presenting and interviewing skills second to none.

Any current affairs topic he argued from the non PC stance so to speak, but in an intelligent albeit aggressive manner.

He just wasn't prepared to take the populist route that many presenters built their careers upon, and thats all thats left on radio and tv.

He was also rather personable and I'll miss him on the show,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'll miss Yates.

Irish media without him will just be a far left snowflake echo chamber .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Who is taking up his slot does anyone know?

Both Ciara Kelly and Yates have a wonderful propensity for talking over their guests/callers it drives me insane. Let. Them. Talk. Whew.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I'll miss Yates.

Couldn't agree more here.

An echo chamber of the perpetually offended

Both Ciara Kelly and Yates have a wonderful propensity for talking over their guests/callers it drives me insane. Let. Them. Talk. Whew.

The thing is though, lots of the people being interviewed will talk their way out of difficult question, Ivan had a knack of cutting out the bull.

A yes or no answer will often suffice to a direct question

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The thing is though, lots of the people being interviewed will talk their way out of difficult question, Ivan had a knack of cutting out the bull.

A yes or no answer will often suffice to a direct question

I'm not talking about decisive questioning, I was referring to those who just talk over someone who is trying to answer. Yates' interview with Frank McDonald yesterday was a total farce for the winding up. In fairness McDonald was well able for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Even though his show isn't all that serious, Niall Boylan isn't afraid to speak his mind and put it up the the permanently outraged.

Particularly about immigration and traveller issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

They don't seem to have decided yet. Mark Cagney is filling in for the next months

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I'll miss Yates.

First Vinny Brown and now Yates. A huge loss to media.

First Vinny Brown and now Yates. A huge loss to media.

And a huge loss to democracy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I wish him all the best for the future.

He was a good presenter but not the best.

I met him a few times when he was in politics and he was impressive and professional.

I suppose to sum up "he never achieved his full potentiality".

Advertisement