Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭gandalfio

No, he definetly is.

Yates treated the show as his personal rant - it got old very quickly.

Cagney made the whole show today a personal rant about how the schools should be given an extra 2 weeks to reopen. He couldn't let it go. Won't be tuning back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

gandalfio wrote: »
    Cagney made the whole show today a personal rant about how the schools should be given an extra 2 weeks to reopen. He couldn't let it go. Won't be tuning back in.

I thought he was ok yesterday but annoyed me today, just trying to be controversial or akward.
    Turned over...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Azatadine

gandalfio wrote: »

I happened to hear that myself..... bizarre. Kept pushing one of his gueats to say they would like 2 more weeks.... asked about a few different ways even though the guest wasn't playing that game.

I noted it myself so you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ivan might start a podcast. Something to rival what Eamon Dunphy is doing. His interviews in the past few weeks with people like Sean O'Rourke, Bertie Ahern etc are what he's best at. They were always very interesting, and showed he had a different and more engaging side than the blow hard personality he had cultivated for himself.

I'll admit to missing him, as I did when George Hook left. I'd always listen to radio between 4 and 6, and I found them both an interesting alternative to Mary Wilson and Matt Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Can’t listen to Cagney. Between him and Ciara Kelly I find I am turning the dial a lot and moving away from Newstalk

Enjoyed Ivan. Sometimes I cringed when I heard what he would say but I loved the way he never took himself seriously and I say you could have a good argument with him and you would end up going for a pint afrer it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Ivan might start a podcast. Something to rival what Eamon Dunphy is doing. His interviews in the past few weeks with people like Sean O'Rourke, Bertie Ahern etc are what he's best at. They were always very interesting, and showed he had a different and more engaging side than the blow hard personality he had cultivated for himself.

I'll admit to missing him, as I did when George Hook left. I'd always listen to radio between 4 and 6, and I found them both an interesting alternative to Mary Wilson and Matt Cooper.

If only the big buffoon could have let some of his guests finish their sentences or anecdotes before he charged in with some personal comment or other ..infuriating....but I wonder if he'd had proper media training when he was younger would that have made a difference to his buffoonish interview style? Maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The Buster wrote: »
    Can’t listen to Cagney. Between him and Ciara Kelly I find I am turning the dial a lot and moving away from Newstalk

Enjoyed Ivan. Sometimes I cringed when I heard what he would say but I loved the way he never took himself seriously and I say you could have a good argument with him and you would end up going for a pint afrer it!

As long as you were buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Mark Cagney is far better than yeats.

Seriously???

He's terribly gullible and will not question anything.

I remember him on TV once talking to some eejit that claimed that if you dried your hair too much with a towel, it would fall out.

I fell out of my chair laughing and had to check if April 1st had come early.

Cagney believed her. Utterly embarrassing

Many years later, I still vigorously dry my hair each day and it's all still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Darc19 wrote: »
    Seriously???

I remember him on TV once talking to some eejit that claimed that if you dried your hair too much with a towel, it would fall out.

Many years later, I still vigorously dry my hair each day and it's all still there.

Any chance this might have been a discussion in relation to Alopecia? Because, if so, I'd well believe it.

Any chance this might have been a discussion in relation to Alopecia? Because, if so, I'd well believe it.

No, she was trying to sell some men's hair thickening shampoo.

• Advertisement

What's this about TMH?

In relation to the other comment you're quoting, it was only a couple of years ago i discovered that environment plays next-to no role in hair loss. I have a longstanding paranoia about losing my hair, so I clearly remember Pat Kenny's hair expert rubbishing the idea.

I don't find it very damning that Mark Cagney believed in this idea of hair damage causing baldness. After all, it does have a common-sense appeal. As old wives' tales go, it's not the most outlandish. Lets not hang him on this one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Darc19 wrote: »
    Seriously???

Was that on Ireland AM? If so, I would not pay too much heed. That was most likely a puff piece with somebody flogging their wares. In these cases it's generally accepted that the presenters are not going to interrogate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

mzungu wrote: »
    Was that on Ireland AM? If so, I would not pay too much heed. That was most likely a puff piece with somebody flogging their wares. in these cases it's generally accepted that the presenters are not going to interrogate them.

I'd love to see Yates interview them in that setting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Latest I’m hearing from Marconi House is that ‘The Global Hug’ with Dil Wickremasinghe is not going ahead as Newstalk are not going to issue a public apology to Dil, herself.

Currently the “powers that be” are considering two serious candidates, Stephanie Preissner or Michael Harding.

As much as I enjoy listening to Michael whenever he’s on anything, he might be a bit too “philosophical” for the role.

Haven’t seen too much of Ms. Preissner outside of her appearances on ‘The Cutting Edge’ with Brendan O’Connor but I hear she has a, rather successful, podcast.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Latest I’m hearing from Marconi House is that ‘The Global Hug’ with Dil Wickremasinghe is not going ahead as Newstalk are not going to issue a public apology to Dil, herself.

Who is Dil Wickremasinghe ?

Who is Dil Wickremasinghe ?

Dil Wickremasinghe is a broadcaster and journalist living in Ireland.

According to Google. You should check it out,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I did since my post, I have never ever heard of her so she can't have been on NT unless it was at a very strange time!

I did since my post, I have never ever heard of her so she can't have been on NT unless it was at a very strange time!

She had a popular slot at the weekend called ‘Global Village’. But there was an acrimonious ending due her reaction to their “handling” of George Hook.

Not sure if she quit or was “axed”. Having her on in place of Ivan would have caused quite a stir but she is standing firm.

Preissner might be a way for the station to “attract” a younger crowd.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Currently the “powers that be” are considering two serious candidates, Stephanie Preissner or Michael Harding.

As much as I enjoy listening to Michael whenever he’s on anything, he might be a bit too “philosophical” for the role.

Haven’t seen too much of Ms. Preissner outside of her appearances on ‘The Cutting Edge’ with Brendan O’Connor but I hear she has a, rather successful, podcast.

A public apology for what? It’s hard to believe they would seriously consider giving this shot to Dil. When someone mentioned it a couple of weeks ago, I thought they were joking.

el_gaucho wrote: »
    A public apology for what? It’s hard to believe they would seriously consider giving this shot to Dil. When someone mentioned it a couple of weeks ago, I thought they were joking.

I would maybe think there are some tales being spun....

• Advertisement

She had a popular slot at the weekend called ‘Global Village’. But there was an acrimonious ending due her reaction to their “handling” of George Hook.

Not sure if she quit or was “axed”. Having her on in place of Ivan would have caused quite a stir but she is standing firm.

I liked global village, but I don't think she's suitable for day to day radio esp drive time.

I'd be moving Matt Cooper into the slot and give him a sidekick to inject some lighthearted banter

Zero chance of Michael harding - he still writes for the Irish Times.

Irish times and communicorp do not match

Not sure if you're joking but that's not a bad suggestion at all.

Someone mentioned Karl Deiter earlier. Give him the gig, alongside Preissner. There would be real balance, and very strongly held, if polarised, views.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Giving someone, Presissner, with no radio experience, hosting experience, or current affairs experience a daily 3 hour show is some ask!

Someone mentioned Karl Deiter earlier. Give him the gig, alongside Preissner. There would be real balance, and very strongly held, if polarised, views.

I’m not suggesting anyone head down to the bookies and put their house on it, these are just the “rumours” filtering out of Marconi House.

Would Deiter want to leave his current position for a permanent radio job? He’s co-hosted the Tonight Show before, if I’m not mistaken so wouldn’t rule it out. Haven’t heard his name “mentioned” but that doesn’t mean anything.
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Giving someone, Presissner, with no radio experience, hosting experience, or current affairs experience a daily 3 hour show is some ask!

True but she does have that, fairly successful, podcast so wouldn’t be a stranger to “broadcasting”. Might boost their ratings with younger listeners, who knows?

I, personally, think if Matt Cooper gets the gig I’ll be “switching” to Today FM to listen to whomever has replaced him over there.

I believe I’m only hearing of the “outsiders” in the running, you’d have to imagine they’d be, seriously, considering Gavin Reilly, Andrea Gilligan and Susan Keogh. Among others.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭RINO87

Interesting - I think that could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I hope it's not Cagney. I know it's holiday season but the show is a snooze fest at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

I’m not suggesting anyone head down to the bookies and put their house on it, these are just the “rumours” filtering out of Marconi House.

Would Deiter want to leave his current position for a permanent radio job? He’s co-hosted the Tonight Show before, if I’m not mistaken so wouldn’t rule it out. Haven’t heard his name “mentioned” but that doesn’t mean anything.

True but she does have that, fairly successful, podcast so wouldn’t be a stranger to “broadcasting”. Might boost their ratings with younger listeners, who knows?

I, personally, think if Matt Cooper gets the gig I’ll be “switching” to Today FM to listen to whomever has replaced him over there.

I believe I’m only hearing of the “outsiders” in the running, you’d have to imagine they’d be, seriously, considering Gavin Reilly, Andrea Gilligan and Susan Keogh. Among others.

Andrea Gilligan struggles a bit I feel, shes decent with a side kick but can't see her getting it on her own. Gavin is very polished and possibly a bit to clean to follow Ivan. Cagney isn't the answer, nice enough fella but just not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

meeeeh wrote: »
    I hope it's not Cagney. I know it's holiday season but the show is a snooze fest at the moment.

Given he's officially retired from a breakfast tv show, I'd be surprised if wanted to take over a hi-octane drivetime news programme full-time. Maybe if they were really struggling for a long-term option he might agree to take it on for six months or a year...

what does Karl Deiter actually do, if you know? Presumably he's a CFA. I like him because although he's economically conservative, he isn't one of these guys who is tied-down by ideology: he favours massive investment in house-building, for example.

Anyway, in horse racing terminology, the guy's a bit of a drifter, but an interesting outside prospect. Would love to see him get the gig.

• Advertisement

Also just to say I think we should probably close this thread soon, as Ivan is now off air, should we? Up to you. Get your final praise or criticism in, and a mod shall probably close the thread in the coming days

Advertisement