Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Muahahaha wrote: »
    god I hope she doesnt end up on The Hard Shoulder. One thing I cant stand about her is after she does her opening monologue for five or six minutes she always says 'text us in now, we want to hear YOUUUURRR opinion, we want to know what YOOOOOUUUUUU think' and then she'll say it multiple more times throughout the program.Theres a real bang of desperation off it, its almost as if the station manager has taken her into the office and said she needs to generate X amount of 30 cent texts per day to pay her wages and she wasnt hitting her targets so now she is almost begging for people to text in.

If Dr. Ciara Kelly were to move to ‘The Hard Shoulder’ would they move that, dreadful, phone in “format” with her?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Muahahaha wrote: »

Anyway like others I'l miss Ivan, there was a great sense of mischievousness about him and he always loved poking bears to get a laugh. Was listening to him during the week when they did a slot about the pedestrianisation of a street in Malahide and Ivan introduced the reporter Henry McKean as "our northside reporter" before going on to say "Malahide, better known as the poor mans Dalkey":D I've a sister who lives in Malahide so I'll definitely be using that one.

I think that sums it up for me, I think he just took great fun in winding anybody up about anything if he thought he could get a reaction - Northsiders, anybody other than Man City fans, snowflakes, etc, etc. If you are getting wound up by him, more the fool you!

But then he knew when to be serious about something as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

We always seem to be obsessed with tv and radio presenters, and who should be taking over this or that show, as if it's important.

When I did work, I would have had Ivan Yates on the radio driving home but would turn over to Matt Cooper or even Radio 1 depending on what they were talking about. I never really thought much about any of them, just wanted to get the day's news.

Yates seemed to have a sense of humour which came across over the airwaves, and a sense he didn't take much of this that seriously.

It is important though, there are some presenters who I just would not listen to no matter what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I don't get the love????

He and the wife screwed the Irish tax payer, went to the UK to bankruptcy so it was only 12 months, left huge debts never to be paid and live the high life and kept the farm all this time....

Very smart white collar crime comes to mind...

This is a bit simplistic isn't it? Didn't Yates offer to pay the bank a very high percentage of what he owed and they wouldn't play ball with him? I also understand that he was exceptionally good to his staff and was an excellent employer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

DeanAustin wrote: »
    This is a bit simplistic isn't it? Didn't Yates offer to pay the bank a very high percentage of what he owed and they wouldn't play ball with him? I also understand that he was exceptionally good to his staff and was an excellent employer.

People who never created anything or took risk starting a business always find it easy to criticise anyone who tries and sometimes fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

DeanAustin wrote: »

Could say same about Quinn but at the end of the day they left us all with huge debts and they still live the high life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Could say same about Quinn but at the end of the day they left us all with huge debts and they still live the high life.

How did Yates leave us with huge debts?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Synode wrote: »
    How did Yates leave us with huge debts?

The wife and himself claimed bankruptcy, they left for 12 months and still managed to keep the farm and house and didn't have to pay anything back....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The wife and himself claimed bankruptcy, they left for 12 months and still managed to keep the farm and house and didn't have to pay anything back....

Irish law facilitates people separating their personal belongings and that of their business. It is so that people will literally not lose the roof over their head as a result of their business failing.

However bad 2008-2012 was in Ireland, it would have been a whole lot worse if this was not in place.

Now, maybe Yates had put this property up as collateral in order to gain funding for his business but I don't understand that he had and so, as a consequence he operated entirely within the law in the same way anyone else in his position was, and is, entitled to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Cal4567 wrote: »
    We always seem to be obsessed with tv and radio presenters, and who should be taking over this or that show, as if it's important.

When I did work, I would have had Ivan Yates on the radio driving home but would turn over to Matt Cooper or even Radio 1 depending on what they were talking about. I never really thought much about any of them, just wanted to get the day's news.

Yates seemed to have a sense of humour which came across over the airwaves, and a sense he didn't take much of this that seriously.

The users on this forum love **** off over certain presenters and putting others down. Its a strange forum

They've literally reached a settlement with AIB. Please dont make things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I'll miss Yates.

Irish media without him will just be a far left snowflake echo chamber .

I hope this is sarcasm... but I suspect it isn't.

If you think Irish media is far left, I think you may not know what far left actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

s8n wrote: »
    The users on this forum love **** off over certain presenters and putting others down. Its a strange forum

It’s a fascinating insight into a strange substrata of society.

You haven't answered the question. How did he leave us with massive debts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I hope this is sarcasm... but I suspect it isn't.

If you think Irish media is far left, I think you may not know what far left actually is.

When i hear the snowflakes calling for protest marches to the Chinese Embassy for their incessant atrocities, you may have the slightest glimmer of a point. Until then you're simply wrong my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭bmc58

Synode wrote: »
    You haven't answered the question. How did he leave us with massive debts?

And took a year off for a road trip around the US.A genius at playing the system available for the rich.Suffer a few months of discomfort and come back as if nothing ever happened.

bmc58 wrote: »
    And took a year off for a road trip around the US.A genius at playing the system available for the rich.Suffer a few months of discomfort and come back as if nothing ever happened.

Would you like him to wear a bell or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

And a huge loss to democracy

I wondered where General Gerry had gone!

Would this be the farm and house that I am 99% sure he didn't even own? His mother owned Blackstoops in Enniscorthy. The bank would have had to wait for her to die and the court of local opinion in Enniscorthy meant nobody would have bought it.
    The bank had no option but to play ball with him, let him work his ass off to pay the value of the collateral which the house covered. He did more to pay his way out of it than most.
    Having said that, that is my basic understanding of the situation. Might not be 100% correct.
    Also - say what you like but people who have the balls to give a business a go should be encouraged. Ivan could have sat in Dail Eireann for another 20 years, and would have cost you and I far more than he has in the last 20 years.

• Advertisement

bmc58 wrote: »
    Celtic Bookmakers went tits-up 10 years ago. Since then, Yates has been through bankruptcy, his family were dragged through years of costly litigation in the High Court, and he has managed to reach an agreement with the bank. None of this is really any of our business, but since Yates put it in the public domain himself, it's worth pointing out that it was more than "discomfort" and it was a decade, not a few months.

I don't understand this angry desire to see people punished when a business fails. In many ways, Yates was treated harsher than most people (private citizens) whose businesses got into financial difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ivan could have sat in Dail Eireann for another 20 years, and would have cost you and I far more than he has in the last 20 years.

Probably work out around the same plenty of people have tried and haven’t got support that Ivan has got on their downfall.

Anyway who’s taking over on Monday?

Elmo wrote: »
    Probably work out around the same plenty of people have tried and haven’t got support that Ivan has got on their downfall.

Did you read anything else in my post? I wonder what support you think he got - the chance to pay some of what he owed back rather than the bank waiting until somebody with a life interest died to then take it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

On the suggestion of what Ivan would have cost as a TD if he stayed on - if he had unretired and run for FG in 2011 he'd probably still be a TD now. FG were stupidly overconfident and ran 3 candidates; they'd easily have been convinced to run 4 if a 'celeb' former TD turned up and he would have scooped up votes and got in ahead of one of the two that did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Elmo wrote: »

Mark Cagney filling in for the next month or so, seemingly pending a major reshuffle of the schedule

I would say Ivan realised he could earn as much in the real world rather than listening to Paddy Murphy wanting his medical card or planning permission or going to funerals of people he never met.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I can't remember exactly now but I think the bank went after him a lot harder than they could have. I remember thinking that some of the big fish in Ireland aren't getting away with anything.

In the grand scheme of things what he owed to the bank wasn't that much, yes it was a few million (around 4) but not 100's of millions. It was the money he owed to AIB which did him too.

Celtic Bookmakers had a turnover of nearly 200 million at one stage so if you were to add up the taxes he paid throughout the years I'd guess he was a massive contributor to Irish society, even when you factor in his debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I'll miss Yates.

Irish media without him will just be a far left snowflake echo chamber .
    First Vinny Brown and now Yates. A huge loss to media.

ah yes, the famously right-wing Vincent Brown :pac::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

going to funerals of people he never met.

Did he not have a handy get-out from most of that?:p

10919_697181277020415_84171432891747831_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=85a577&_nc_ohc=3NSa-mtl6usAX-L0NyR&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=282419b9c71017e421b49af8482e567a&oe=5F42D4FA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Celtic Bookmakers had a turnover of nearly 200 million at one stage so if you were to add up the taxes he paid throughout the years I'd guess he was a massive contributor to Irish society, even when you factor in his debts.

Would he still be a massive contributor when you factor in the near €1,500 a week pension he has been on since the age of 42? He's received about €1.4 million in pension payments so far by my calc.

Advertisement