Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Even though his show isn't all that serious, Niall Boylan isn't afraid to speak his mind and put it up the the permanently outraged.

Particularly about immigration and traveller issues.

At this stage, going by the latest CSO figures, the permanently outraged are located on Boards giving out about feminists, liberals, homeless, social welfare recipients, immigrants, radio/TV hosts and politicians.

A lot there to be vexed about to be fair, if you are that way inclined.

elperello wrote: »
    I wish him all the best for the future.

He was a good presenter but not the best.

I met him a few time when he was in politics and he was impressive and professional.

I suppose to sum up "he never achieved his full potentiality".

I'd say we could see him back for election specials, or one off features, or I'd wager, a newspaper column.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd say we could see him back for election specials, or one off features, or I'd wager, a newspaper column.

I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Even though his show isn't all that serious, Niall Boylan isn't afraid to speak his mind and put it up the the permanently outraged.

Particularly about immigration and traveller issues.

Maybe they could get Boylan and Ian O’Doherty to “buddy up” and do a show together? Could go on before Dil.

Would need to take an hour off OTB to facilitate it.

The tide is turning…

Maybe they could get Boylan and Ian O’Doherty to “buddy up” and do a show together? Could go on before Dil.

Would need to take an hour off OTB to facilitate it.
    Ian O'Doherty is too busy being silenced in the indo and silenced in his semi-regular fixture on the famously far-left Pat Kenny Show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I don't get the love????

He and the wife screwed the Irish tax payer, went to the UK to bankruptcy so it was only 12 months, left huge debts never to be paid and live the high life and kept the farm all this time....

Very smart white collar crime comes to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

This is all a bit much. You would think Yates was someone of the standard of pat Kenny when in reality he was a chancer

Pat Kenny is only a jumped up disc jockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Del.Monte wrote: »
    excellent command of the english language, but wouldnt be my cup of tea..... Yates was good on certain topics but overall he winging a bit and his past left a bad taste in your mouth

At this stage, going by the latest CSO figures, the permanently outraged are located on Boards giving out about feminists, liberals, homeless, social welfare recipients, immigrants, radio/TV hosts and politicians.

A lot there to be vexed about to be fair, if you are that way inclined.

I think you've the wrong end of the stick there old bean. The permanently offended are the ones that give out about the N word, BLM, statues that need tearing down, Enid Blyton children's books, not enough women in the Dail, LGTB issues......etc.....

Oh oh controversy alert :)

Pat Kenny was a great disc jockey who became a really great radio presenter.

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    Oh oh controversy alert :)

Pat Kenny was a great disc jockey who became a really great radio presenter.

You win, I'm too hot to argue and my cider's running out. Time for Netflix. :D

I think you've the wrong end of the stick there old bean. The permanently offended are the ones that give out about the N word, BLM, statues that need tearing down, Enid Blyton children's books, not enough women in the Dail, LGTB issues......etc.....

So, are you permanently offended, or are you ok with use of the N word?

I don't get the love????

He and the wife screwed the Irish tax payer, went to the UK to bankruptcy so it was only 12 months, left huge debts never to be paid and live the high life and kept the farm all this time....

Point taken but this is the Radio forum.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I love him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

They don't seem to have decided yet. Mark Cagney is filling in for the next months

I like Mark Cagney...might be a bit too congenial though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Yates was one of the few broadcasters to defend McCabe when the man was being targeted by a corrupt Garda management/force.
    Thankfully the truth came out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Yates was one of the few broadcasters to defend McCabe when the man was being targeted by a corrupt Garda management/force.

Exactly. And many thought he was playing devils advocate at the time.

Ill miss the mad bas#ard

Mick Clifford was the other one.

Hard to believe it now, but so was Gemma O'Doherty before that train left the rails. Many who were involved in ventilating rumours (passed off as fact) are still in senior positions.

As far as Ivan Yates goes, this is definitely one of the positive aspects of his broadcasting career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I don't get the love????

He appeals to the stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

He appeals to the stupid.

Quite the opposite, but the irony will be lost on you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Quite the opposite, but the irony will be lost on you

Well they think they're smart but I'd call them stupid too....

• Advertisement

Well they think they're smart but I'd call them stupid too....

Why? :confused:

So, are you permanently offended, or are you ok with use of the N word?

No, I'm not permanently offended except by pc bull****. I don't use the N word but I'm happy to admit to using words like knacker, junkie and scumbag - awful aren't I? :rolleyes:

I also read Enid Blyton as a child and to my own children..............oh the shame of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I see Make Ireland White Again crowd found it's way out of AH.

Anyway I will miss Yates, he was great fun and he knew good bit about how politics is done. He couldn't be accused of supporting Greens and yet his slots with Cara Augustenborg were engaging (credit to Cara too).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I'll miss Yates.

Irish media without him will just be a far left snowflake echo chamber .

I'm sure Pay Kenny will be surprised to hear he is a far left snowflake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I could never warm to Pat Kenny, he is a bit too prim and pomp for me.
    I liked Ivan, he over stepped the mark at times but some people on these shows were so long winded we'd still be listening to them now if he didn't tell them to get to the f'n point!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Moncrieff has done a good enough job of that.

Ivan once called Moncrieff, to his face, 'Newstalk's expert on all things genital.':D

meeeeh wrote: »
    I see Make Ireland White Again crowd found it's way out of AH.

Anyway I will miss Yates, he was great fun and he knew good bit about how politics is done. He couldn't be accused of supporting Greens and yet his slots with Cara Augustenborg were engaging (credit to Cara too).

At least I won't have to feel embarrassed for her any more if she appears on the show with the new host. How she and Éanna Ní Lamhna put up with Yates is beyond me - his ignorance of environmental matters was not feigned.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

At least I won't have to feel embarrassed for her any more if she appears on the show with the new host. How she and Éanna Ní Lamhna put up with Yates is beyond me - his ignorance of environmental matters was not feigned.

Ah Eanna Ní Lamhna was great when she was on with Ivan. She’s mad as a box of frogs herself and the pair of them bounced really well off each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Very true and Maurice seemed very grateful to Yates for backing him througout the scandal in the interview the other day. The two Garda mouthpieces Paul Reynolds and Paul Williams spent the best part of three years trying to get the boot into Maurice, whatever spin the Garda Press Office gave against McCabe the two Pauls would publish it verbatim. If McCabe hadnt of had support from other sections of the media like Yates, Clifford, Katie Hannon then the two Pauls might have succeeded and stopped him fighting for what was right.
    So again we’re back to any criticism of Ciara Kelly is because she’s a woman and her critics are sexist. Ok, great debate.

god I hope she doesnt end up on The Hard Shoulder. One thing I cant stand about her is after she does her opening monologue for five or six minutes she always says 'text us in now, we want to hear YOUUUURRR opinion, we want to know what YOOOOOUUUUUU think' and then she'll say it multiple more times throughout the program.Theres a real bang of desperation off it, its almost as if the station manager has taken her into the office and said she needs to generate X amount of 30 cent texts per day to pay her wages and she wasnt hitting her targets so now she is almost begging for people to text in.

Anyway like others I'l miss Ivan, there was a great sense of mischievousness about him and he always loved poking bears to get a laugh. Was listening to him during the week when they did a slot about the pedestrianisation of a street in Malahide and Ivan introduced the reporter Henry McKean as "our northside reporter" before going on to say "Malahide, better known as the poor mans Dalkey":D I've a sister who lives in Malahide so I'll definitely be using that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yeah..not the worst...personally I felt he squeezed a lot of moolah out of the Irish state and wasn’t shy about it.

Seemed to enjoy waving it in our faces,and boasting he isn’t done yet.

“Not retiring just rewiring.”

Jeez man..just fade away dude, don’t be like Mary O’Rourke, or Mary Hannafin.

You have got enough out of us.

Advertisement