Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

pc7 wrote: »
    Is Ivan leaving? Just caught end of his intro and sounded like a goodbye

Yes, Ivan's final edition of "The Hard Shoulder" will be broadcast on Friday 24th July on NewsTalk 106-108 while his last presenting slot on "The Tonight Show" which Ivan co-presents with Matt Cooper on Virgin Media One tv will be on Thursday 23rd July.

Ivan had signalled previously he would be retiring around August and his wife Deirdre has just retired from teaching and they are both leaving their apartment in Dublin to return to the family home in Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford. He mentioned he was now 60 years of age this year and that it would be impossible for him to be commuting between Enniscorthy and Dublin on a daily basis once they return to Wexford.

I wonder what changes will arise following Ivan's retirement from full time broadcasting on both NewsTalk and The Tonight Show formats in the Autumn?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

BPKS just in the OTB thread, I locked it, it was a car crash, so many reported posts and pm’s over it. I haven’t had the time to look, I did put a post in mod section of someone had time to look, but they mustn’t have yet. I’ll try get to it this week, but need to use laptop for mod stuff
    Too hard on phone. If any feels they’d Ike to be a radio mod and help out please drop a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Could he not just stay in Dun Laoghaire? We've enough washed up politicians in Enniscorthy already or if he must return could he be persuaded to drink at home?

https://www.adverts.ie/biographies/ivan-yates-full-on/16344476

Is Ivan leaving? Just caught end of his intro and sounded like a goodbye.

The enigma that is Ivan Yates. Arrogant to the point of being boorish, rudely cutting across his guests and generally inarticulate.

It would be more appropriate if he "retired" to Wales a second time. Unfortunately I feel this will be the long goodbye from Ireland's pre-eminent expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Good.
    Hopefully whoever comes next can only be an improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

who do ye think will replace him, there isnt anybody jumping out at me, i liked Ivan, he was a bit of a rogue, not afraid to speak his mind and was never in to the pc bull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Good.
    Hopefully whoever comes next can only be an improvement.

Whatever you think of him, he is Newstalk's biggest draw. This is a huge hit for the station and there is no obvious replacement. I can't think of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Henwin wrote: »
    who do ye think will replace him, there isnt anybody jumping out at me, i liked Ivan, he was a bit of a rogue, not afraid to speak his mind and was never in to the pc bull

I reckon Ciara Kelly will replace Ivan.

The former news reader one who doesn't like the Rose of Tralee will get the lunchtime gig then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Azatadine

No way will Ciara Kelly get it. Surely not.... That would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Hopefully Ivan will become a regular panelist and contributor in current affairs, a role he's much better at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Henwin wrote: »

Could easily see one of the “breakfast show” goobers being parachuted in.

They could improve the morning show, they could get Susan Keogh or Andrea Gilligan to take the vacation “spot”.

They had Mark Cagney filling in a bit but not sure he’d want to come back full time. Would be awful if they “poached” Matt Cooper from Today FM. Brendan O’Connor wouldn’t be a bad shout, his weekend slot hasn’t been great.

To be honest, I wouldn’t be surprised if Gilligan got it. She’s got a good mix of serious and lightheartedness.

The tide is turning…

Joe Molloy filled in for him recently. I didn't hear him, but there was some positive comments on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

BPKS just in the OTB thread, I locked it, it was a car crash, so many reported posts and pm’s over it. I haven’t had the time to look, I did put a post in mod section of someone had time to look, but they mustn’t have yet. I’ll try get to it this week, but need to use laptop for mod stuff
    Too hard on phone. If any feels they’d Ike to be a radio mod and help out please drop a pm.
    Have you the OTB thread closed permanently or is it just pending a review? I for one enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would be awful if they “poached” Matt Cooper from Today FM.

TodayFM are already an utter mess with zero schedule consistency and no obvious direction so it'd probably make sense in their eyes to remove one of the only three semi stable shows (Matt, Ian, Paul McLoone)
    this was in the phoenix a few months back. maybe bring over matt cooper and leave today fm go with more music?

Would need BAI approval to drop the talk/current affairs; would be a final step away from the Radio Ireland days and would be massively opposed by other music stations including 2FM I'd expect.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

monstermag wrote: »
    Have you the OTB thread closed permanently or is it just pending a review? I for one enjoyed it.

Just for review, I really thought it’s be sorted by now but as smallies at home I just haven’t managed to get to it on laptop. I’ll try get it sorted and open soon.

Ahwell wrote: »
    Whatever you think of him, he is Newstalk's biggest draw. This is a huge hit for the station and there is no obvious replacement. I can't think of one.

I love Ivan and I’ll really miss him. He’s dead right to go at 60 , still lots of time and energy to enjoy life. Radio won’t be as exciting without him. Miss George Hook too. Bland bland bland is what’s left now, imagine if we get Tom Dunne !:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Bring back Dil

Bring back Dil

Ah here!! The fecking forum would melt! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

I’d say they’ll get one of the bedwetters from the morning show to take over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

I’d say they’ll get one of the bedwetters from the morning show to take over.

• Advertisement

I love Ivan and I’ll really miss him. He’s dead right to go at 60 , still lots of time and energy to enjoy life. Radio won’t be as exciting without him. Miss George Hook too. Bland bland bland is what’s left now, imagine if we get Tom Dunne !:eek::eek:

Nah, Tom has had his chance I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Someone has to - I'm sorry for your pain. You don't want to buy a copy of the great man's bio by any chance? Two copies in stock that I can't get rid of and short of offering money with them I guess that's where they will stay. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Mark Cagney could get the gig.

mzungu wrote: »
    Mark Cagney could get the gig.

Yep, he’s good, sharp, he’d be well able for it !

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Dare I say it, will they move “Ciara” to drivetime?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Dare I say it, will they move “Ciara” to drivetime?

No way!!! No way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Anton savage?
    Mark Cagney?

They'll hardly bring back George.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jam17032010

I didn't always agree with him but I respected the fact that he wasn't afraid to argue against popular opinion. Too much group think in media at the moment. This is a big loss to Newstalk IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Anton savage?
    Mark Cagney?

They'll hardly bring back George.

George definitely isn't coming back. He's twitter is entertaining but he's starting to cut loose a bit and that would descend in to a sh*t show which given his previous, the station could not entertain. I remember he considered starting a podcast but pulled back after looking for sponsorship, maybe he realized there isn't support for his angle on today's news amongst business communities.

Maybe Gavin Riley full time but he still strikes me as a bit young for such a role.
    I like Shane Coleman but not sure if he would be suitable either and he seems quite happy where he is and hasn't ever moved to deputise.

Ivan's former co-host, Chris O'Donoghue didn't hold back in greeting the announcement. Some very pointed remarks in his tweet this morning.

• Advertisement

Ivan's former co-host, Chris O'Donoghue didn't hold back in greeting the announcement. Some very pointed remarks in his tweet this morning.

I read that as him joking. It was the kind of relationship they had, he was just taking the piss a bit.

Advertisement