Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Bring back George Hook, he couldn't be any worse than the present incumbent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Bring back George Hook, he couldn't be any worse than the present incumbent.

Can't listen to him. A few weeks back he had an interesting guest on, but he rapid fired questions without letting the man speak and inform us.

He can't do funny.

I just avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

2smiggy wrote: »
    Ivan seems to be complaining about his horse racing meets and GAA matches being cancelled as a reason we should all just 'get on with it'. That people who want to go out and do what they want, go ahead, and the elderly and sick can keep cocooning. Similar thinking to Trump , and both managed to go bankrupt in the gambling industry. Can't listen to his rubbish any more.

Good call Migster.... here’s the deal from the meegia, always remember this.
    A certain coterie of the media mind you.

They don’t give a flying fuuherke about horse racing, Gaa, Football, what they want is to do is heap pressure on govt. and thus stoke up the pressure on those already trying resolve the issue

So once Ivan, John, Barry, Fergal.. et al can rack up the pressure in a specific area to jack up Their exposure, bobs your uncle. That’s their job done.

Now they are attacking the govt (Mary Wilson) for the pvt hospitals!!!

All hindsight and it’s not over by a long shot ..... not by a long way.

People need to excoriate these tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Why is it so bad that someone doesn't go with the narrative? Any comparison with Central Europe or New Zealand shows Ireland isn't performing that well (putting it mildly). Germany, Austria or Czech Republic never closed all business activities (production and building) and yet the death rates and infections are lower. I don't agree with what he is suggesting but nobody is asking where the **** up was done. Everyone is just back slapping each other that we are not as bad as British. And anyone questioning is accused of wanting to kill off the elderly.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Why is it so bad that someone doesn't go with the narrative? Any comparison with Central Europe or New Zealand shows Ireland isn't performing that well (putting it mildly). Germany, Austria or Czech Republic never closed all business activities (production and building) and yet the death rates and infections are lower. I don't agree with what he is suggesting but nobody is asking where the **** up was done. Everyone is just back slapping each other that we are not as bad as British. And anyone questioning is accused of wanting to kill off the elderly.

Let’s get the issue sorted out,buddy, then you will have all the time you want to “ask where the **** up was”

Put the fuhhkingg fire out first, then you can find out what caused it and take action.

• Advertisement

Firstly I'm not a buddy and secondly you won't put out any fires if you don't know where the issues are. The fact is we have stricter measures than in Central Europe that are less effective. I'm well aware things can't be detailed overnight but being fobbed off by lets listen to the experts is not enough. Maybe we should listen to the Swedish experts, they seem to achieve the same results without closing the country... (I'm actually not advocating Swedish approach for Ireland because there are cultural differences and I don't think it would work but there is no need for complete overreaction to someone asking a bit more challenging questions).

Firstly I'm not a buddy and secondly you won't put out any fires if you don't know where the issues are. The fact is we have stricter measures than in Central Europe that are less effective. I'm well aware things can't be detailed overnight but being fobbed off by lets listen to the experts is not enough. Maybe we should listen to the Swedish experts, they seem to achieve the same results without closing the country... (I'm actually not advocating Swedish approach for Ireland because there are cultural differences and I don't think it would work but there is no need for complete overreaction to someone asking a bit more challenging questions).

If you just had asked “challenging questions” in a civil way ,one might have understood.

But throwing words like “**** up” at people and comparing other countries to Ireland when you don’t have exact similar statistics, exact similar demographics, is not fair to people who have worked day and night to battle
    this disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I'm all for finding out what we have done wrong and right. Every country is different. I just don't like the attitude Ivan Yates has taken of any healthy just live your normal life, and any one sick or old , cocoon, tough ****e to them basically. As he said himself, because he fancies a few pints watching his horse racing and GAA. More his attitude I have a problem with. I'm all for getting back to some form of normality , and hopefully soon, but not at the expensive at unnecessary deaths so Ivan can have his fun.

2smiggy wrote: »
    I'm all for finding out what we have done wrong and right. Every country is different. I just don't like the attitude Ivan Yates has taken of any healthy just live your normal life, and any one sick or old , cocoon, tough ****e to them basically. As he said himself, because he fancies a few pints watching his horse racing and GAA. More his attitude I have a problem with. I'm all for getting back to some form of normality , and hopefully soon, but not at the expensive at unnecessary deaths so Ivan can have his fun.

Do most people not realize that Ivan Yates is the biggest wind up merchant on Irish Radio? You can hear it in his voice ! He thrives on sarcasm and irony. He knows by saying he wants to get back to the pub it will drive people insane and he’s right! But he is very articulate and has a good handle on both the political and media circles in this country having worked in both , something that is rare.

He is dead right to be asking hard questions of our “experts”! We live in a democracy, we are not sheep ! Dr Tony Holohan does not have an unblemished record.......just ask Vicky Phelan .

I do not agree with crippling the entire country when most of the issues here are with nursing homes, healthcare workers and within Dublin city . My own mother is in one of these nursing homes and yes I’m very concerned but equally I don’t believe everyone has to pay the price of this lockdown.

The economy is not going to recover from this even if we end restrictions today.
    Ivan Yates has my full support in asking these questions, somebody needs to!

Remember this next year when you’re all crying about tax increases on everything, increased USC , cuts to welfare payments in 2021 to pay for €350 Covid payments to part time students now !
    We will have huge increases on carbon levies as we are bottom of the class in Europe and this has to be paid for by us too !

I’ll put it this way, if I want someone to manage a pandemic I’ll chose a fully qualified practitioner in the discipline rather than Ivan Yeates.

Ivan hasn’t an unblemished record in life either, very few have, maybe the Pope or the Queen or someone like Fintan O’Toole or someone....

Lot of hurlers on the ditch about these days....

• Advertisement

I’ll put it this way, if I want someone to manage a pandemic I’ll chose a fully qualified practitioner in the discipline rather than Ivan Yeates.

Ivan hasn’t an unblemished record in life either, very few have, maybe the Pope or the Queen or someone like Fintan O’Toole or someone....

Lot of hurlers on the ditch about these days....

.....but Ivan Yates as a radio presenter is not trying to "manage a pandemic". He is simply asking questions of those who are! They are very relevant questions and a lot of us are asking those same questions too.

.....but Ivan Yates as a radio presenter is not trying to "manage a pandemic". He is simply asking questions of those who are! They are very relevant questions and a lot of us are asking those same questions too.

Of course Maggie of course...

However there are those stults who seem to think that folk like the media shunt out have more knowledge .

Maggie it’s like the lads on the ditch at the side of the pitch ‘know everything and the ref. knows nothing’

I always back the guy who’s trained and qualified ,rather than some slack jaw shooting his mouth off .

Of course questions can be asked, but let’s not let the tools and crusts start trying to run the show.

:P. get me dhhrift.

Of course Maggie of course...

However there are those stults who seem to think that folk like the media shunt out have more knowledge .

Maggie it’s like the lads on the ditch at the side of the pitch ‘know everything and the ref. knows nothing’

I always back the guy who’s trained and qualified ,rather than some slack jaw shooting his mouth off .

Of course questions can be asked, but let’s not let the tools and crusts start trying to run the show.

:P. get me dhhrift.

Nah I don't really get your drift.
    So Simon Harris is trained and qualified in what? He is 33 and he dropped out of college. Its the decision by Simon Harris to completely close private hospitals and cancel all treatments, operations and consultations for tens of thousands of NON COVID patients that was Ivan Yates is having issues with.

I would argue that Ivan Yates at the age of 60 and having spent 3 years as a Government Minister and many more in politics is as qualified as 33 year old Simon Harris.

I have no issues with Simon Harris on a personal level and he is certainly trying to do his best in this situation. However he is not above being questioned on many of his recent decisions. People need questions asked about the devastation of the Irish economy. Ivan Yates is well capable of doing this and I am 100% in favour of it.

Nah I don't really get your drift.
    So Simon Harris is trained and qualified in what? He is 33 and he dropped out of college. Its the decision by Simon Harris to completely close private hospitals and cancel all treatments, operations and consultations for tens of thousands of NON COVID patients that was Ivan Yates is having issues with.

I would argue that Ivan Yates at the age of 60 and having spent 3 years as a Government Minister and many more in politics is as qualified as 33 year old Simon Harris.

I have no issues with Simon Harris on a personal level and he is certainly trying to do his best in this situation. However he is not above being questioned on many of his recent decisions. People need questions asked about the devastation of the Irish economy. Ivan Yates is well capable of doing this and I am 100% in favour of it.

Maggie.... have to say very disappointed with your argument .... completely implausible.

Simon Harris is trained in what......

Mary Lou McDonald is trained in what

Brid Smith is trained in what....

Geno Kenny is trained in what......

So toss that auld crap into the trash can Maggie...

Now.... don’t know about you,Maggie, but I have been listening to ads importuning folk, begging them Maggie, to understand that normal non c-19 care is ...well going on normally.. come in we are ready for you!!!

Maggie... I have no problem with people asking questions but, as I said previously, if I want a a situation handled, I would prefer the most qualified person to do that.

Simon Harris seems, by your assessment, to be running the show himself.

He’s not, he’s running it in conjunction with the best qualified medical personell in this country.

I’d back those before Ivan Yeates on this issue any day Maggie.

Of course he can ask questions but here’s the thing.

You can either let the disease run wild and devastate the population

You can fight the disease and save lives at the expense of damage to the economy.

That’s how it rolls Maggi..... bit of reality for you.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

FYI Brendan Bendar, your style of posting is coming across as very condescending.

Just letting you know, it's hard to read your posts and not envisage some elderly old style politician in a crumpled suit waffling on and telling someone from the electorate to pipe down.

FYI Brendan Bendar, your style of posting is coming across as very condescending.

Just letting you know, it's hard to read your posts and not envisage some elderly old style politician in a crumpled suit waffling on and telling someone from the electorate to pipe down.

:eek:

Just tooken a serious loafer in the nut sack!!

Goin to lie down for a while........

Extremely condescending.... but I’m not too worried about the opinions of someone whose main interests revolve around taking a dump and describing it in detail on Boards.ie. (see “what’s the etiquette here “ thread)

If you just had asked “challenging questions” in a civil way ,one might have understood.

But throwing words like “**** up” at people and comparing other countries to Ireland when you don’t have exact similar statistics, exact similar demographics, is not fair to people who have worked day and night to battle
    this disease.

If everyone had your attitude we would be still in the stone age. Only when things are questioned, progress is made and those on the front line don't need to work night and day.

Also politicians and elected (well sort of) to run the country and they have to take into account different options and make decisions. In every country experts and politicians made mistakes, it just seems they were more costly in Ireland than in some other countries. Not questioning what could be done differently is intentionally staying ignorant so this can go on longer and more people die or are affected in different ways.

Btw wearing face coverings is perfect example. I know that in Slovenia they were made mandatory with explanation that the expert opinion is divided, WHO don't recommend them yet but if we look at a lot of countries which are more successful at dealing with the issue and people there are wearing masks. That's the difference between science and politics. Science waits until there is conclusive evidence, supported with the studies, politics goes out on the limb. We still don't know if face coverings work but Slovenia had higher increases at the beginning of crisis than Ireland and are now at around 10 to 15 cases per day (2 million population). Sometimes speed and decisiveness trumps science as long as you are brave enough to realize things can go wrong too.

Edit: I'm sorry for the deviating from the topic. I don't even think Yates is asking very relevant questions but he found his niche approaching it from certain position. As someone said he loves winding up people and it's actually funny how quickly some bite. In the end you can listen to him or don't but don't call for people you disagree with to change their approach.

this disease.
    If everyone had your attitude we would be still in the stone age. Only when things are questioned, progress is made and those on the front line don't need to work night and day.

Also politicians and elected (well sort of) to run the country and they have to take into account different options and make decisions. In every country experts and politicians made mistakes, it just seems they were more costly in Ireland than in some other countries. Not questioning what could be done differently is intentionally staying ignorant so this can go on longer and more people die or are affected in different ways.

Btw wearing face coverings is perfect example. I know that in Slovenia they were made mandatory with explanation that the expert opinion is divided, WHO don't recommend them yet but if we look at a lot of countries which are more successful at dealing with the issue and people there are wearing masks. That's the difference between science and politics. Science waits until there is conclusive evidence, supported with the studies, politics goes out on the limb. We still don't know if face coverings work but Slovenia had higher increases at the beginning of crisis than Ireland and are now at around 10 to 15 cases per day (2 million population). Sometimes speed and decisiveness trumps science as long as you are brave enough to realize things can go wrong too.

Edit: I'm sorry for the deviating from the topic. I don't even think Yates is asking very relevant questions but he found his niche approaching it from certain position. As someone said he loves winding up people and it's actually funny how quickly some bite. In the end you can listen to him or don't but don't call for people you disagree with to change their approach.

An eminent medical person made the very same point as my post this morning.

Referring to campaigns as ‘**** ups’ when they are patently not, kind of wrecks an argument,poster.

Reverting to personal abuse by another poster doesn’t help it either.

An eminent medical person made the very same point as my post this morning.

Referring to campaigns as ‘**** ups’ when they are patently not, kind of wrecks an argument,poster.

Reverting to personal abuse by another poster doesn’t help it either.

An excuse British Government are putting out is we are following the science. You will have to explain who the eminent medical person is and what they actually said or you just using British government tactic of using phrase we are following the science when some one asks a hard question.

As for personal insults I think your reply is prime example of can dish it but can't take it.

• Advertisement

An excuse British Government are putting out is we are following the science. You will have to explain who the eminent medical person is and what they actually said or you just using British government tactic of using phrase we are following the science when some one asks a hard question.

As for personal insults I think your reply is prime example of can dish it but can't take it.

Following science when managing a pandemic isn’t“ an excuse.“

You see ,there again that’s where people fail to make a coherent argument.

Unfortunately there are folk out there who try to politicise and make political capital from situations like this.

You remind me of a “cornerperson “ in a boxing match, when your fighter is under pressure and tired,you are haranguing him and asking questions when he has enough to do to stay upright.

The time for in depth analysis is after the fight.

Following science when managing a pandemic isn’t“ an excuse.“

You see ,there again that’s where people fail to make a coherent argument.

Unfortunately there are folk out there who try to politicise and make political capital from situations like this.

You remind me of a “cornerperson “ in a boxing match, when your fighter is under pressure and tired,you are haranguing him and asking questions when he has enough to do to stay upright.

The time for in depth analysis is after the fight.

So there is no medical eminent person who agrees with you.

Anyway I will finish because this is becoming tit for tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Azatadine

He is doing my head in at the moment both on his radio show and the TV programme, with his crusade against restrictions.

As far as I can see, almost all of his guests seem to be hand picked to agree with his views on the restrictions. Not enough balance and he starts mocking the odd guest who doesn't agree with his views.

I agree with some of his views but his crusade is grating.

Azatadine wrote: »
    He is doing my head in at the moment both on his radio show and the TV programme, with his crusade against restrictions.

As far as I can see, almost all of his guests seem to be hand picked to agree with his views on the restrictions. Not enough balance and he starts mocking the odd guest who doesn't agree with his views.

I agree with some of his views but his crusade is grating.

Ivan is not on his own anymore, the tide is definitely turning. The country is crying out for restrictions to be eased at this stage especially as we've ticked every box we were asked to tick. WHO are saying schools in Ireland need to open in the next few weeks. Ivan was mild compared to the Lunchtime with Ciara Kelly these last few days. She's also on the crusade and I have to say I'm fully with her (& Ivan) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

More commentators in UK now identifying the spin element of the manta "led by the science".
    One cynical observer described it as part of a ploy to set-up the scientific advisors (Witty and Valance) as the fall guys when the inevitable public enquiry takes place.

Also using "unprecedented" to suggest "impossible to predict" when UK experts warned a pandemic was inevitable and identified shortcomings in preparation.

Sounds like Ivan has found a campaign issue. One that will generate lots of text messages to the show.

Today's Ivanism: Suggesting divers take jewellery and bodies from the site of the Titantic.

Last week's Ivanism:
    Joking about journalists being assassinated.
    "There're a few wafflers and blowhards here that could be taken out" (Note: pot and kettle!)
    In response to a report of Duterte advocating assassination for certain journalists.

But then Ivan doesn't have any regard for journalists.
    Ivanism: "Oh no, I'm not a journalist, I'm an entertainer."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ivan is a middle aged Irish shock jock. It’s an act. I’ve met him socially and he admitted as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Ivan is a middle aged Irish shock jock. It’s an act. I’ve met him socially and he admitted as much.

Of course it's an act - the guy was a politician and hasn't an original thought in his head and he has a streak of selfishness which is off the scale.

Sure, but not entirely an act. Or only partially an act. Much of what he says is instinctive and clearly coming from his own point of view.
    When he's hamming it up it's quite obvious.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Of course it's an act - the guy was a politician and hasn't an original thought in his head and he has a streak of selfishness which is off the scale.

I often think with a sense of astonishment: "this man was actually Minister of Ag."

To quote Dr Cara A.:
    "Oh come on , you were Minister of Ag." (barely surpressed tone of frustration.)
    Ivan didn't know what a pollinator does, apart from produce honey.

(I have a collection of Ivanisms. )

Advertisement