Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Whay was the jist of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Ivan is great a stirring shıt. Earns a living as a political commentator, does worse than a monkey throwing darts at a board with political predictions, calls it a win.

People go nuts of course, but all you can really do is laugh.

https://twitter.com/IvanYatesNT/status/1227263140708200448

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

BillyBird wrote: »
    Ivan is great a stirring shıt. Earns a living as a political commentator, does worse than a monkey throwing darts at a board with political predictions, calls it a win.

People go nuts of course, but all you can really do is laugh.

https://twitter.com/IvanYatesNT/status/1227263140708200448

I think he gets a share of the income generated from the texts and is just trolling people to seed the text line...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

zell12 wrote: »

So that’s a room full of accountants!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I think he gets a share of the income generated from the texts and is just trolling people to seed the text line...

second captains posted a background photo years ago of the studio in newstalk. they're all encouraged to give out the text number as much as possible with the cost to generate income for the station, so it pays to have someone deliberately spout sh1te on every show.

second captains posted a background photo years ago of the studio in newstalk. they're all encouraged to give out the text number as much as possible with the cost to generate income for the station, so it pays to have someone deliberately spout sh1te on every show.

Been a long time since I was involved with premium SMS but even then it was very difficult to make money on the lower end. VAT at 21% comes off first. What's left is split three ways between the mobile operator (e.g. Vodafone, 3, etc.), the company operating the premium number (who also took a fixed fee) and the radio station.

Last time this came up somebody with more recent experience said it had gotten worse - can't find that thread.

My guess is that text messages are cost neutral and/or used to back up advertising sales pitches i.e. we can demonstrate an engaged audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

BillyBird wrote: »
    Been a long time since I was involved with premium SMS but even then it was very difficult to make money on the lower end. VAT at 21% comes off first. What's left is split three ways between the mobile operator (e.g. Vodafone, 3, etc.), the company operating the premium number (who also took a fixed fee) and the radio station.

Last time this came up somebody with more recent experience said it had gotten worse - can't find that thread.

My guess is that text messages are cost neutral and/or used to back up advertising sales pitches i.e. we can demonstrate an engaged audience.

There is no way the 30c texts are cost neutral. Dinny knows too much about telecommunications to be doing something where he isn't the main beneficiary...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Anyone hear paddy Agnew on yesterday talking about the virus in Italy? He was obviously heavily intoxicated. Yeats didn't seem to notice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Horse84 wrote: »
    Anyone hear paddy Agnew on yesterday talking about the virus in Italy? He was obviously heavily intoxicated. Yeats didn't seem to notice at all.

That's the way he speaks all the time.

He has a slight lisp.

Unless, of course he's permanently pissed.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    That's the way he speaks all the time.

He has a slight lisp.

Unless, of course he's permanently pissed.

This was more than a lisp. He was slurring and talking ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Meant to comment on this myself. He sounded drunk as a drunk skunk. I know what he normally sounds like but he really was drunk I'd say. Mixing up and mispronouncing words and everything.

Yates noticed. He asked 'do you think you have caught the virus yourself?'

Yates noticed. He asked 'do you think you have caught the virus yourself?'

I heard that but then he kept going with the piece for a good while and asked him a lot of questions afterwards. Surely if he suspected he was drunk he’d have shut it down or else gave some glib remark. He did neither

• Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I heard that but then he kept going with the piece for a good while and asked him a lot of questions afterwards. Surely if he suspected he was drunk he’d have shut it down or else gave some glib remark. He did neither

If you want a rambling disjointed report on...well anything, get Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He's recovering from a brain haemorrhage, he mentioned it on Dunphy's podcast.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    He's recovering from a brain haemorrhage, he mentioned it on Dunphy's podcast.

Seriously? That explains that so. I wasn’t aware. He did sound absolutely hammered however lol. Thanks for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Seriously? That explains that so. I wasn’t aware. He did sound absolutely hammered however lol. Thanks for info.

Oh yeah absolutely.
    I was about to give up on the podcast to be honest before he just casually threw it in when discussing the Italian health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Is that that spanner Michael Graham again?

For some reason it occurred to me the other day that I hadn't heard his imbecilic nonsense for years.

Radio off, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ol' Donie wrote: »

For some reason it occurred to me the other day that I hadn't heard his imbecilic nonsense for years.

He was giving out about healthcare being denied from people because of Covid-19 and letting them die. Bet he isn't in favour of Bernie Sanders wanting to give people healthcare to prevent them from dying.

He said a positive from this whole thing will be the end of the EU, and that will make the world a safer place.

He said that come the US election in November, that if there aren't a total of 1M deaths, it's a sign that Trump actually did well.
    Christ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Whatever about Michael Graham. I cannot understand why serious regular guests like Cara Augustenborg and Éanna Ní Lamhna continue to come on the show at all only to be treated to a series of infantile comments by Yates every week. The eejit is sixty but behaves like he hasn't reached puberty. An empty vessel makes the most noise. I wrenched the radio plug out of the wall this evening during a discussion about whales.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't usually tune in, but, I didn't realise Ivan was such a pain in the arse to listen to on the radio until I listened to his conversation earlier with Sam McConkey - surely the nicest and most agreeable infectious disease expert in the country - which consisted of Ivan ploughing headfirst against expert opinion with a series of bar-stool hot-takes. You'd wonder why the guests bother appearing. Surely it must hurt their brain to fight against such hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Have only heard him once, or twice, since Hook went off the air. I think he’s a great “guest”.

Granted, I’d be over on the other side of the spectrum regarding his political “beliefs“ but he makes for good radio.

Having said that, Yates came across as a bit of a nut harping on about the lack of “transparency“ and the lockdown.

The tide is turning…

Have only heard him once, or twice, since Hook went off the air. I think he’s a great “guest”.

Granted, I’d be over on the other side of the spectrum regarding his political “beliefs“ but he makes for good radio.

Having said that, Yates came across as a bit of a nut harping on about the lack of “transparency“ and the lockdown.

Same boat, opposite end of the spectrum, but he's not the worst.

That said he needs somebody on the other end of the phone to challenge his nonsense. Otherwise it's just two codgers waffling on together.

Graham should be challenged more than someone hinting that actually, they have a point. Thinking back on it, Grahams statement that the world without the EU would be a much safer place really annoyed me that it wasn't challenged.

What evidence could a conservative American offer to support that statement with the sh*tshow their ideals helps to contribute to both at home and abroad.

Who is replacing Ivan when he retires in August?

Who is replacing Ivan when he retires in August?

Not sure. Don't think it has been announced.

Would Shane Coleman or Kieran Cuddihy move from the breakfast show? Not sure either could handle it on their own as Ivan has done. Maybe Shane could.

Could Gavin Reilly? Any female candidates whose name could be in the hat?

Ivan will be a big loss to the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not sure. Don't think it has been announced.

Would Shane Coleman or Kieran Cuddihy move from the breakfast show? Not sure either could handle it on their own as Ivan has done. Maybe Shane could.

Could Gavin Reilly? Any female candidates whose name could be in the hat?

Ivan will be a big loss to the station.

They seemed to be “priming” Mark Cagney for awhile there, he was filling in for everyone.

Wouldn’t be keen on either of the two “breakfast” lads. And I think if they went with one of them they’d lose a chunk of listeners who want to hear someone “tell it like it is”.

Jonathan Healy seems more suitable for replacing Moncrief, when the time comes and Susan Keogh for Dr. Ciara Kelly.

Would Cagney be too “woke” for the more crotchety listener?

Could Newstalk actually pull off a stroke of marketing genius by bringing back someone like Dil Wickramasinghe and actually increase the listenership due to the number of irate, and hateful, listeners tuning in, and “listening back”, just to complain aggressively somewhere like here?

Only time will tell.

The tide is turning…

They seemed to be “priming” Mark Cagney for awhile there, he was filling in for everyone.

Wouldn’t be keen on either of the two “breakfast” lads. And I think if they went with one of them they’d lose a chunk of listeners who want to hear someone “tell it like it is”.

Jonathan Healy seems more suitable for replacing Moncrief, when the time comes and Susan Keogh for Dr. Ciara Kelly.

Would Cagney be too “woke” for the more crotchety listener?

Could Newstalk actually pull off a stroke of marketing genius by bringing back someone like Dil Wickramasinghe and actually increase the listenership due to the number of irate, and hateful, listeners tuning in, and “listening back”, just to complain aggressively somewhere like here?

Only time will tell.

Jesus even I wouldn't be able to call for objectivity if that came to pass. Think it would be more likely they would get Niall Boylan in than going that route.

Cagney is 4 years older than Ivan, not impossible, but would seem like a somewhat regressive step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Ivan seems to be complaining about his horse racing meets and GAA matches being cancelled as a reason we should all just 'get on with it'. That people who want to go out and do what they want, go ahead, and the elderly and sick can keep cocooning. Similar thinking to Trump , and both managed to go bankrupt in the gambling industry. Can't listen to his rubbish any more.

Advertisement