Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I didn't always agree with him but I respected the fact that he wasn't afraid to argue against popular opinion. Too much group think in media at the moment. This is a big loss to Newstalk IMO.

Ivan has no genuine opinions on anything and totally overplayed the devil's advocate role resulting in him coming across like an overblown oaf. As for being a loss to Newstalk - who cares except Denis O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Ivan clearly built up a large audience during his various stints on numerous shows on NewsTalk - Breakfast / Sunday Morning / Drivetime. He enjoyed played the "Devil's Advocate" to spice things up although; there were times when it became a bit too predictable. Looking to the Autumn - perhaps Mark Cagney will go full time on Drivetime or else Cagney may enter the weekday schedule full-time and allow another presenter like Shane Coleman to replace Ivan going forward. Cagney was for so many years doing early breakfast with "Ireland AM" on TV3 that a breakfast slot might work best for both him and NewsTalk as they may want to do a wider refresh on the station with Ivan departing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Ivan has no genuine opinions on anything and totally overplayed the devil's advocate role resulting in him coming across like an overblown oaf. As for being a loss to Newstalk - who cares except Denis O'Brien.

Probably Newstalk Management who are losing their second biggest player.
    Probably show researchers who may be out of a job.
    Probably some of the 160k plus listeners
    Probably some of those commenting on it on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Del.Monte wrote: »

I would have thought that if you accept Denis O'Brien cares, then it logically follows that he cares for a reason.

The only reason he would care is that the show's, and station's ratings will decline.

This in turn means that they will possibly lose a lot of listeners, meaning that a lot of people care.

You're welcome.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Gavan Reilly was my first thought as well. I think his Sunday show is one of the best on the station, behind Ivan.

Sean O’Rourke was on with Ivan a few weeks ago saying he wasn’t done with broadcasting. Could be a hint of what’s to come possibly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I think Joe Molloy would be a great choice if he wanted to move away from sports broadcasting. He was a fine replacement for Ivan the time he filled in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

He really is leaving? Hurrah, good news! Haven't tuned in for two weeks - or is it three.

Ivan's just been going through the motions for months. Probably on the wind-down.
    NT need to do some external recruiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I like the idea of a seasoned professional like Sean O'Rourke then again anytime Shane Beatty has stepped in he has done a very good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

redbuck wrote: »
    I think Joe Molloy would be a great choice if he wanted to move away from sports broadcasting. He was a fine replacement for Ivan the time he filled in for him.

If you want a vanilla sandwich made from pure vanilla, with a side of vanilla, then Joe is your man... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't mind Sean O'Rourke or Mark Cagney but pensioner RTE (or tv) presenter position is already filled by Pat Kenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

sean o rourke always had the air of a sold reliable multi decade civil servant

not sure he,d be the right fit for private radio

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just a thought, would Pat move to Drivetime and they backfill the morning slot? Probably an easier task.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Here’s a wild one. Frank Greaney?

He’s filled in on the Last Word a few times and is probably one of the most highly regarded journalists in the country. Anytime he’s discussing a big case with Pat Kenny he’s brilliant.

Would probably be a stretch but surely not the wildest in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Ciara Kelly has been on the show again, what is her fee for that 40 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just read Chris tweet about Ivan.

he says it’s a shame the listenership was pulling away from Ivan

He has some neck. Yates had an audience that Donoghue would dream of!

Chris was and is a failed national broadcaster yet he gives Ivan sly digs.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Yates had an audience that Donoghue would dream of!

I’m not that big a fan of Ivan, but at least he was entertaining. Something Chris definitely wasn’t. If opinions were people, Chris would be the Vatican.

He has some neck. Yates had an audience that Donoghue would dream of!

What constitutes a 'failed national broadcaster'? Even having national in that term would imply a degree of success as the person made it to a national station as opposed to local or podcasts or whatever. He was on the morning show for a couple of years and then was given a prime time slot? Is that a failure?

I suspect that he may feel aggrieved that Ivan may have told NT that he was interested in returning and so Chris and Sarah got the road but again, does that mean he is a failure?

Many people would like to fail in this way if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

I like that Ivan was not everyone's cup of tea. He was different, and had a unique approach. Not afraid to go against the tide, even if only to be provocative, it's a welcome alternative.

Always liked his ability to call out bull****.

I'd love Sean O'Rourke in his place. Or Pat. But please not Coleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Who is actually a very fine broadcaster is Richard Chambers of virgin media.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Who is actually a very fine broadcaster is Richard Chambers of virgin media.

Is he a broadcaster? I've only heard him reporting. He's the complete opposite of Ivan, cut from the same cloth as Chris Donoghue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Tuned in to pay closer attention to the Sunday morning presenters as a possible replacement. TBH I confuse GavanR and VincentW. (One of whom often seems too keen to ingratiate himself with interviewees)

But I find Sean Dafoe instead this morning. Very capable, has potential for the role. I think I'd be inclined to tune in to him.

Not opinionated and self-important enough for the Ivan fans I'd say though.
    BTW NT seem to be short of woman contender for the role.

Tuned in to pay closer attention to the Sunday morning presenters as a possible replacement. TBH I confuse GavanR and VincentW. (One of whom often seems too keen to ingratiate himself with interviewees)

But I find Sean Dafoe instead this morning. Very capable, has potential for the role. I think I'd be inclined to tune in to him.

Not opinionated and self-important enough for the Ivan fans I'd say though.
    BTW NT seem to be short of woman contender for the role.

Sarah McInerney has started with pretty good reviews on her Radio 1 show.
    I think that and Ivan announcing he is leaving could put her in a strong position when talking with either, all though conversely, if NT have decided they aren't interested in talking to her again, it might raise a red flag for RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I'd have thought McInerney would be unlikely to leave RTE now that she has a full-time gig there?
    I could see Andrea Gilligan moving full-time to the breakfast show, if one of the current presenters (most likely Coleman) were to move to Drivetime.
    There's a few from Virgin TV that could be an outside bet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I read your post and had a look up on Chris Donoghue's Twitter page - something I never thought I would ever do. This is the full tweet.
    This is Ivan’s 5th retirement, his 3rd in the time I’ve known him. My thoughts with Deirdre who’ll have him under her feet. But it’s a real shame, his listenership was pulling away.
    -Never shy
    -Never boring
    -Never quiet
    -Often wrong
    -Never admit it

I think in the context of the full tweet the statement is different. The tone of the full tweet is jocose and joshing. I've never been a fan of Chris, but I think his hands are clean on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Picture this: Ivan lines up his next piece, a interview with Martin Shanahan, CEO of IDA Ireland, to discuss investment prospects for Ireland post covid. He gives his big spiel and then welcomes Martin who is on the line.
    Silence for a few seconds before Martin Shanhan sheepishly says to Ivan that "this is Martin Shanahan of Fishy Fish in Kinsale". A few more seconds of silence and Martin says "I'll have a chat with you if you want"

:D

I clearly remember logging into this website a few days after Sean O'Rourke announced his retirement, expecting to see a massive thread about his impact on public service broadcasting, the show's highlights, and so on. If my memory serves me correctly, there were about a dozen posts over a few days. O'Rourke's retirement had minimal impact on the Radio Forum.

Ivan Yates has a smaller listenership, but the reaction to his departure has been significant, and everyone is really engaged. Why is this? (That's not a pointed question, I'm being curious)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I clearly remember logging into this website a few days after Sean O'Rourke announced his retirement, expecting to see a massive thread about his impact on public service broadcasting, the show's highlights, and so on. If my memory serves me correctly, there were about a dozen posts over a few days. O'Rourke's retirement had minimal impact on the Radio Forum.

Ivan Yates has a smaller listenership, but the reaction to his departure has been significant, and everyone is really engaged. Why is this? (That's not a pointed question, I'm being curious)

At a guess, Sean O'Rourke's retirement had been expected for awhile and had been discussed at various times in the thread before it was actually announced, whereas the news about Yates came completely out of the blue.

Ahwell wrote: »
    At a guess, Sean O'Rourke's retirement had been expected for awhile and had been discussed at various times in the thread before it was actually announced, whereas the news about Yates came completely out of the blue.

Do you think it says anything about the Radio Forum, and whether its demographics are perhaps misaligned with that of the general population?

I suspect that's part of the reaction. But I also agree with you on the point that O'Rourke's departure was somewhat anticipated. There may be other factors... was Yates simply more charismatic as a presenter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

On the political stuff Ivan Yates was brilliant. He could call on his own experience and cut through a lot of spin.

However at times I got the feeling he was simply playing the role of the grumpy old man, it was almost like a character.
    He was too intelligent to be unaware of some of the things he claimed to not understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Do you think it says anything about the Radio Forum, and whether its demographics are perhaps misaligned with that of the general population?

I'm not sure tbh, in general the Sean O'Rourke thread was much more active than The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates thread. It had daily posts, whereas The Hard Shoulder thread was dormant most of the time.

Advertisement