Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

doylefe wrote: »
    Not this fog horn

Classy as always doylefe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Film review tonight, Ivan said he never heard of Sharon Tate or Charles Manson.
    He wasn’t joking either, how can he have got to 60 and never heard of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Education, dude, it’s the reason for all this.

Back in the day, people were rounded, they got real education.

Nowadays it’s total bulldust, most of those holders of Masters degrees couldn't tell you what county Kilbeggan was in, where Colombia was on the map, the state capital of Illinois, sheet stuff like that, you see it and hear it every day on radio and television.

So no surprise Ivan never heard of Manson, no surprise at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Education, dude, it’s the reason for all this.

Back in the day, people were rounded, they got real education.

Nowadays it’s total bulldust, most of those holders of Masters degrees couldn't tell you what county Kilbeggan was in, where Colombia was on the map, the state capital of Illinois, sheet stuff like that, you see it and hear it every day on radio and television.

So no surprise Ivan never heard of Manson, no surprise at all.

Yes, but Ivan is 60. He is from 'back in the day'. Yates is just an oaf, probably never reads a book. Irish media is full of oiks like him.

Yes, but Ivan is 60. He is from 'back in the day'. Yates is just an oaf, probably never reads a book. Irish media is full of oiks like him.

Full as a butchers pup Mr Y, full as a butchers pup.

Plenty of examples, mostly in the Independent Stations.

• Advertisement

Successful politician, ran a nationwide chain of betting shops and has had a successful television and radio career.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but far from being an oaf, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Successful politician, ran a nationwide chain of betting shops and has had a successful television and radio career.

That’s a pretty selective phrasing there re. “ran a nationwide chain of betting shops” - how did that work out on the end for the employees, the creditors, the bank, and Ivan?

Cute hoor and mé féiner might be more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

May I direct Yates fans to my listing on Adverts.ie :D

https://www.adverts.ie/biographies/ivan-yates-full-on/16344476

My friend, I’m afraid that’s no qualification in the ‘oaf stakes’ .

We all know ‘successful’ builders who developed and built huge estates of houses, some who could hardly write their own names.

And they were oafs my friend, uber oafs, in this posters opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

Or Roman Polanski. I was fairly gobsmacked by that. Must say also the whole ignorant boor shtick is wearing very thin with me now. Had to switch over when he was in full flow today, and then switched back towards the end of the piece with Dan O'Brien, Joan Burton et al, which sounded moderately interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Del.Monte wrote: »
    May I direct Yates fans to my listing on Adverts.ie :D

https://www.adverts.ie/biographies/ivan-yates-full-on/16344476

I believe we discussed this previously...so to speak. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Only people who try can fail. It's easy to criticize it's hard to do something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Poor Ivan never did the Leaving Cert. In fact he didn't do the Junior Cert either, he did O levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Getting a bit tired of his schtick now, the real and feigned ignorance, the obvious trolling and baiting, I had a welcome break during his absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

Ivan the person probably has heard of them.
    "Ivan" the Hard Shoulder character that he plays, certainly has not. How do folks still not get this??

RINO87 wrote: »
    Ivan the person probably has heard of them.
    "Ivan" the Hard Shoulder character that he plays, certainly has not. How do folks still not get this??

Exactly!! Ivan Yates is no fool and the biggest wind up merchant going! He knew exactly who the movie guy was talking about yesterday - but its more fun to pretend he doesn't. Ditto with the travel slot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭prunudo

I don't know, he seemed to be genuinely clueless of the names. Whether his mind was elsewhere or he didn't put the names to the faces it didn't sound like one of his usual pisstakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Exactly!! Ivan Yates is no fool and the biggest wind up merchant going! He knew exactly who the movie guy was talking about yesterday - but its more fun to pretend he doesn't. Ditto with the travel slot ;)
    he really isn't. I know a few people who have had regular dealings with him and he genuinely is that clueless about many things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I don't listen to him all that often but I thought his interview with Kevin Myers yesterday was interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭Azatadine

washiskin wrote: »
    I don't listen to him all that often but I thought his interview with Kevin Myers yesterday was interesting.

Yes, it was actually. I just wish he would let people finish their sentances/stories without cutting across them. It drives me mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

washiskin wrote: »

It was interesting in spite of Ivan, primary school ignorance of basic words, he didn't know the difference between genocide and murder, he's a worse interviewer than hook in terms of preparation

The piece just now on appropriate working hours really got his back up.

He had Nicky English and DJ Carey on this evening and he just could not stop himself cutting across them when they were.talking. Sometimes guests have interesting stories and he just wont let them finish it if it doesn't interest him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    he didn't know the difference between genocide and murder,

Yeah, even Myers sounded a but gobsmacked by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

heard the replay of Myers interview on Saturday. he's very bitter over what happened to him last year, claiming he was 'lynched'

back to Ivan, i wish he'd give up going on about Man City. I really really really couldn't give a shyte, and it's a great reminder to change station for a while.

heard the replay of Myers interview on Saturday. he's very bitter over what happened to him last year, claiming he was 'lynched'

back to Ivan, i wish he'd give up going on about Man City. I really really really couldn't give a shyte, and it's a great reminder to change station for a while.

The pieces with himself and Mark have no basis in football analysis at this point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Ivan on more about what Man City did over the weekend than about the All Ireland hurling.

These protestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Heard a disgusting specimen of pond life on with Yates today - Brendan O'Neill of "Spiked" - can't say I've ever heard of either before. For somebody whose family, according to him, emigrated to Britain from Ireland 50 years ago he has zero respect for the country he grew up in and its institutions. His anti-monarchist ranting would have him off to the Tower for a terminal visit with barber if I had my way, but I'd settle for having him deported or stripped of his citizenship - assuming he has a British passport. Then again would we really want him here - somewhere like North Korea would suit him better.

As for Yates and his feigned interest in the monarchy, I'd be surprised if he ever heard of them before "The Crown" aired on television. :rolleyes:

It was bad alright. Where did they find that lad. Hung up then when he knew he'd gone too far with the Nazi stuff.

• Advertisement

Surprised ye didn't hear of him when this happened last year.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1058342177607041024

Andrew went on to explain to the Brits just how what we though of what they'd get out of Brexit here.

Advertisement