Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hard Shoulder with Ivan Yates (interregnum)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I generally like Ivan but he drove me mad this evening when interviewing Michael Lyster. He just kept cutting across him when he was trying to explain issues relating to heart health and to explain the differences between things like heart failure vs heart attack etc......he asked questions but didn't have the patience to wait for the answer so he tried to answer his own questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Azatadine wrote: »
    I generally like Ivan but he drove me mad this evening when interviewing Michael Lyster. He just kept cutting across him when he was trying to explain issues relating to heart health and to explain the differences between things like heart failure vs heart attack etc......he asked questions but didn't have the patience to wait for the answer so he tried to answer his own questions!

I personally like Ivan and enjoy listening to him however you have pointed out one of his worst traits.

He always does this no matter who he is speaking with.

Cutting across the answers or when someone is generally speaking is rude IMO.

I don't think he means to cut across but maybe he is trying to direct the conversation but he does it by cutting across people all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

wally1990 wrote: »
    I personally like Ivan and enjoy listening to him however you have pointed out one of his worst traits.

I don't think he means to cut across but maybe he is trying to direct the conversation but he does it by cutting across people all of the time.

He just loves to hear the sound of his own voice. Usually BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I think the Phil Thompson segment is a complete waste too. Ivan clearly knows very little about soccer and tries to have some banter with Thompson for a few mins and then runs him off the line after a few mins.

I'm far from a Phil Thompson fan but he is a respected (if biased) former pro and commentator and it just seems like a waste to me. You can sense that Thompson is happy to have a more in depth conversation but Ivan dumps him off like a hot potato sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭fire_man

I used to enjoy his show but starting to get tiresome.Not allowing guest to finish,knowing very little about certain topics,smart talk etc.

• Advertisement

wally1990 wrote: »

I think Ivan thinks he’s funny . He’s not . He does it to his contributors too , Jess Kelly & especially the travel one , he’s always interrupting her, talking about Deirdre etc . It’s getting very annoying at this stage !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Very interesting topic this evening which was on the report that single women with no children are the happiest demographic in society.
    Mostly interesting because Mary O'Rourke had absolutely no time for it and flat out said that any woman without a child feels unfulfilled even if they don't admit it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

I love Ivan but I don't get to listen all that much. Delighted to switch over last Friday for the long drive home....Susan Keogh was hosting....

I love Ivan but I don't get to listen all that much. Delighted to switch over last Friday for the long drive home....Susan Keogh was hosting....

Susan actually does quite well when she stands in I think. Ivan was in on Saturday for the counting of local election votes special.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Gotta agree on Susan - she is coming into her own now with her own show & when she steps in for Ivan on his, I like her more on Newstalk than I did when she used to step in for Matt on TLW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

Very interesting topic this evening which was on the report that single women with no children are the happiest demographic in society.
    Mostly interesting because Mary O'Rourke had absolutely no time for it and flat out said that any woman without a child feels unfulfilled even if they don't admit it.

And Mary would know this how exactly? :rolleyes: All the 'experts' must be worn out after the Elections seeing as they had to call on Mammy Mary for an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Radio5 wrote: »
    And Mary would know this how exactly? :rolleyes: All the 'experts' must be worn out after the Elections seeing as they had to call on Mammy Mary for an opinion.

I think she had trouble to conceive. I think her husband and her adopted one child and she gave birth to another one. I didn't hear the segment but I suspect her opinions were affected by her own experience of trying for a child. I probably wouldn't agree with her opinion but there is no point to be outraged about it or dismiss her experience as irrelevant.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think she had trouble to conceive. I think her husband and her adopted one child and she gave birth to another one. I didn't hear the segment but I suspect her opinions were affected by her own experience of trying for a child. I probably wouldn't agree with her opinion but there is no point to be outraged about it or dismiss her experience as irrelevant.

That's just it, all she was giving was 'an opinion'. I found it very interesting because it was so strongly held. I wonder if some of her friends were listening how they would have felt about it.

It really is one of these questions which there is no definitive answer because it is such a subjective topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

I'm looking for an interesting interview with Ivan about two weeks ago. He was interviewing someone who sounded like an American, but who also seemed to be involved in the Green party, or possibly some environmentalist. Does that make any sense to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm looking for an interesting interview with Ivan about two weeks ago. He was interviewing someone who sounded like an American, but who also seemed to be involved in the Green party, or possibly some environmentalist. Does that make any sense to anyone?

http://www.caraaugustenborg.com/

As Del.Monte said, it was like Cara.

She can be on a couple of times a week depending on Green topics in the news so it might take a bit of digging to find the interview you are looking for.

In his piece on Wexford and the Normans tonight he was at his boorish best playing the complete ignoramus - he doesn't to work very hard at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Del.Monte wrote: »
    In his piece on Wexford and the Normans tonight he was at his boorish best playing the complete ignoramus - he doesn't to work very hard at it.

I love him in that form, think he's hilarious.

He gave Bobby Kerr an awful time the other night over Bobby's advice to a fella to leave the family business for more money. Started playing the "stab his family in the back" and "no loyalty" argument when you know that Yates would stab his granny in the back for a few quid.

He also nailed John Kelleher last week for plugging a movie that turned out his mate was involved in.

He's one of the best wind-up merchants on tv or radio today and long may it continue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Ivan sticking his head above the parapet here, the "right on" brigade will be out for his head.

The concept that the children came up with this proposal is nonsense. Who came up with the question in the first place. Someone pushing an agenda I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

doylefe wrote: »
    Ivan sticking his head above the parapet here, the "right on" brigade will be out for his head.

The concept that the children came up with this proposal is nonsense. Who came up with the question in the first place. Someone pushing an agenda I'd guess.

Wish all those phoney University degrees were defunded, how much do these soft sciences mind poison hustlers cost the tax payer?

• Advertisement

doylefe wrote: »

Why is it nonsense that children came up with the proposal? There was a representative group made up of children from the school it seems.
    They aren't saying that they want to force any gender selection issue, it seems it originated from them saying that girls should have the choice to wear trousers.

It seems to be similar to the abortion discussion, proponents are saying they just want choice, others, not affected, are saying that there must be an agenda.

First time that I can remember agreeing with Ivan in a long time, just a pity he didn't finish the job. All this agenda driven, liberal, pc bs has to be called out for what it is - a tiny tail wagging an enormous dog!

Just because - apparently - the nonsense in Greystones came unprompted from the students does not make it right. Up next will they be deciding that they only attend school when they feel like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Why is it nonsense that children came up with the proposal? There was a representative group made up of children from the school it seems.
    They aren't saying that they want to force any gender selection issue, it seems it originated from them saying that girls should have the choice to wear trousers.

Oddly it ended up being about if boy's wanted to wear skirts. Girls had always wanted to wear trousers, from what I remember.

Children are influenced by what's said to them. Girls wearing trousers isn't as big a deal.

But if you wanted a truly gender neutral uniform, both boys and girls would be required wear the exact same uniform, in other words all would wear dresses, all would wear short trousers, all would wear trousers or all would wear skirts.

Instead if someone wants to wear the school uniform with any of the above the can, this is not a uniform nor is it gender neutral.

"It helps you emit the turd with the most frightful efficiency!" barracks David Norris, pronouncing on the best stance to adapt when on the toilet

*Finger hovers over the off-switch"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

LOL did ye hear that with Brendan Griffin???

is there historic bad blood there or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Corbother

sydthebeat wrote: »
    LOL did ye hear that with Brendan Griffin???

is there historic bad blood there or what??

What did I miss?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Corbother wrote: »
    What did I miss?

griffin on to talk about the ryder cup coming to adare....

but when ivan asks him anything about how public money is to be spent, basically griffin doing his best to fill the time blustering by throwing out anodyne statements over and over....

yates keeps badgering to answer the simple question put to him...

eventually ivan tells him to "grow up" and griffin response with "you grow up" LOLLLL

but when ivan asks him anything about how public money is to be spent, basically griffin doing his best to fill the time blustering by throwing out anodyne statements over and over....

eventually ivan tells him to "grow up" and griffin response with "you grow up" LOLLLL

Entertaining all right.
    Griffin said it fairly pointedly that as the interviewer, he should led his guests answer the question before butting in with another point.

Thought Ivan was going to tell him he was finishing the interview seeing as Griffin didn't seem to want to answer what Ivan wanted him to.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Corbother

Good ould Yates great man to cut through the sh**e talk but no better man to talk it for hours on end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

It's only a small thing but most times Ivan signs off on the radio he mentions that he'll be on the tv tonight with Matt Cooper, Cooper on the other hand never mentions Ivan. He is so insecure that he doesn't want to mention the competition. Ivan is great except he cuts across his guests and hurries them up, it can annoy. Imo he has no competition, TLW is a diluted piss poor effort of mostly dead air and fluff

Advertisement