Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximizing the current Rail Infrastructure

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

loyatemu wrote: »
    I think it isn't currently laid out for northern line trains to use it (though presumably that would be simple to fix).

You are right, but northern lines are linked to the docks. I think it'd be a very quick fix to get a line running into docklands. Maybe 200m of rail to be laid?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Euppy wrote: »
    Could we put a second platform at the docklands and terminate some of the trains coming from Drogheda there. It would free up the Connolly area which has been a mess since the Park Tunnel was re-opened.

Some of those Drogheda trains already terminate in Connolly, Docklands offers commuters the same access to IFSC as those trains plus it is a short walk to GCD.

I've read that docklands will be a hub for westbound trains only, but this seems a waste.

Any obvious downsides I don't see?
    The trains must run to the city centre brigade will certainly have issues with it.

The trains must run to the city centre brigade will certainly have issues with it.

Would the objections really be that bad?

Train delays have gotten so bad in the connolly area that you'd arrive in dockland mins earlier than connolly currently and then its only a 15min walk to connolly. So a small loss of 10mins on only maybe two trains in the morning.

Plus it would arguably be quicker for people who work near Pearse and GCD.

Would the objections really be that bad?

Train delays have gotten so bad in the connolly area that you'd arrive in dockland mins earlier than connolly currently and then its only a 15min walk to connolly. So a small loss of 10mins on only maybe two trains in the morning.

Plus it would arguably be quicker for people who work near Pearse and GCD.
    Jump back about 100 posts in this thread and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Could we put a second platform at the docklands and terminate some of the trains coming from Drogheda there. It would free up the Connolly area which has been a mess since the Park Tunnel was re-opened.

Some of those Drogheda trains already terminate in Connolly, Docklands offers commuters the same access to IFSC as those trains plus it is a short walk to GCD.

There is already second platform, both sides can take an 8 car dmu.

The problem is that people taking trains to town want to arrive in the city centre, either for business or making transfer to other trains, buses and trams.

A few years ago, when the off-peak Dunboyne trains continued to Docklands, a driver would shout at people on the platform, "this is not your train". He had probably got so much abuse from passengers arriving in Docklands, that he tried to have them wait for the following Maynooth - Pearse train. I only got on the Docklands train for the experience, as a rail enthusiast, I felt quite intimidated boarding against the driver's advice.

• Advertisement

tabbey wrote: »

A few years ago, when the off-peak Dunboyne trains continued to Docklands, a driver would shout at people on the platform, "this is not your train". He had probably got so much abuse from passengers arriving in Docklands, that he tried to have them wait for the following Maynooth - Pearse train. I only got on the Docklands train for the experience, as a rail enthusiast, I felt quite intimidated boarding against the driver's advice.

I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

Running extra carriages would surely be a way to maximize the infrastructure. I imagine there’s not much lying around spare during the week but I’m sitting on the 13:00 to Cork ex Heuston and it’s a five carriage train. Standing room only

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

howiya wrote:
    Running extra carriages would surely be a way to maximize the infrastructure. I imagine there’s not much lying around spare during the week but I’m sitting on the 13:00 to Cork ex Heuston and it’s a five carriage train. Standing room only

Do they still do peak pricing? So if the 1 O clock to Cork is peak make sure there's a price differential between that and off peak... Are the free travel brigade "steered" to off peak?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Markcheese wrote: »
    Are the free travel brigade "steered" to off peak?

the peak restrictions were abolished a long time ago.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

howiya wrote: »
    I’m sitting on the 13:00 to Cork ex Heuston and it’s a five carriage train. Standing room only

Do you mean a five coach ICR, or a Mk IV with a coach missing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

tabbey wrote: »
    Do you mean a five coach ICR, or a Mk IV with a coach missing?

likely a 5 car ICR. mk4 are 7 car i think.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Was a five car ICR. Another thing I thought was strange was that at Thurles they announced, change here for Limerick. Thurles was the first stop so would have assumed anyone wanting to go to Limerick would have waited in Dublin for the 13:25. Maybe just covering themselves as the 13:00 to Cork wasn't stopping at Limerick Junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

"free travel brigade"?
    Not a very nice remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Normally a Mark IV, engineering works required a switch. Poor planning the day after a Rugby match all the same.
    Was a five car ICR. Another thing I thought was strange was that at Thurles they announced, change here for Limerick. Thurles was the first stop so would have assumed anyone wanting to go to Limerick would have waited in Dublin for the 13:25. Maybe just covering themselves as the 13:00 to Cork wasn't stopping at Limerick Junction.

Passengers are really stupid, they see Cork and assume it serves where they want as most services do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

"free travel brigade"? Not a very nice remark.

Wasn't meant as anything offensive...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Markcheese wrote: »
    Do they still do peak pricing? So if the 1 O clock to Cork is peak make sure there's a price differential between that and off peak... Are the free travel brigade "steered" to off peak?

Lets let him ask a simple question, people are too afraid to ask questions now lest they get their head torn off, but we only learn if we exchange information and we can't do that if were leaping down peoples throats

You would think such restrictions would free up a lot of space but Seamus Brennan got rid of them around the same time FT was expanded to all-Ireland travel, for a couple of reasons:

1. They realized most FT users don't travel at rush hour anyway, and try to avoid it for obvious reasons (seniors and people seriously ill don't wanna stand on a train mashed into someones back choking on Lynx and hairspray)

2. Those who did either have no choice as they're working (people transitioning off disability usually start back with PT work and like anyone else their shift might start at 9am) or going to a hospital appointment. Many consultants clinics are blocked together v early or v late in the day and they do their rounds in between during the transport off peak hours. So you might get a letter from the hospital to come in for 8am and be sitting there while they work through patients until 10:30, which means you have to be on a 7am train, or earlier.

3. There was many many cases of utter farce when busses were late say, a bus meant to be there at 16:50 get there at 17:01 and the old lady can't be let on or people were rushing out of work or appointments and doing sprints to the train station or bus stop frantic hoping to make it time.

I remember when I was laid down with cancer and pretty massive depression I did my best to avoid rush hour services like the plague because it meant you didn't get a seat, and while a senior might be offered a seat people would look at me, an apparently healthy fit 23 year old who nothing obviously wrong (which led to many a smart remark by CIE staff when they saw my pass, which caused a kind cold burning rage in me I can't describe), probably too pale but that's not unusual in Ireland, so I'd be standing, in fact if I got the seat first and someone remotely pregnant or with the slightest wrinkle came alongside I'd get dirty looks if I didn't stand up - people totally oblivious to what was happening on the inside of me unaware of the nausea, muscle soreness, catastrophic energy drain, acid reflux, cramps, dizziness and lack of sleep.

They should IMO have a poster campaign same as they do with other things like bags on seat, earphones, urging FT users to avoid peak travel if they can avoid it. Won't always be possible though

For the purposes of balance currently sitting on the 15:00 service to Cork waiting to depart Heuston and there’s any amount of spare seats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

http://www.irishrail.ie/news/newtimetable2017

I thought we were due reductions of about 15 minutes for intercity trips or are there more improvements due?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There will likely be another revision mid year to add extra services on dart and off peak commuter so some may have been held back to see if real world performance matches expectation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

2 1/2 hours Cork to Dublin is nothing to be proud of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Isambard wrote: »

Just like the late 1980s schedule so - well worth all the money spent and disruptions in recent years. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

Isambard wrote: »

I heard that in the voice of Adam Ant singing Prince Charming -

‘Irish Rail, uh oh, Irish Rail, 2 1/2 hours Cork to Dublin is nothing to be proud of’ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

Heard Barry Kenny on Newstalk this afternoon. It looks like they have some agreement with the drivers' unions to allow training and mentoring to go ahead while talks continue. This should allow preparation for the 10-minute DART timetable frequency to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Oh great. The dart I get every morning at Kilbarrack comes from Howth and is 10 minutes after a previous Howth train. The new super duper '10 minute' service means trains every 20 minutes from Howth/Malahide which means my train will be twice as busy. Can't wait.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Oh great. The dart I get every morning at Kilbarrack comes from Howth and is 10 minutes after a previous Howth train. The new super duper '10 minute' service means trains every 20 minutes from Howth/Malahide which means my train will be twice as busy. Can't wait.

Where did you read this?

Seanmk1 wrote: »
    Heard Barry Kenny on Newstalk this afternoon. It looks like they have some agreement with the drivers' unions to allow training and mentoring to go ahead while talks continue. This should allow preparation for the 10-minute DART timetable frequency to begin.

And the tail continues wag the dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Decuc500 wrote: »

God bless ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Where did you read this?

If it's the same timetable they wanted to bring in two years ago it's a departure from Howth and Malahide every 20 minutes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-rail-curtailed-essential-engineering-work-to-fund-pay-rise-1.3466262?mode=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true
    Irish Rail curtailed essential engineering work to pay for a pay rise for its staff last year, the company has told Minister for Transport Shane Ross

Guessing it wasn't all that essential then. The mind boggles at IÉ

• Advertisement
Advertisement