Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 2017-18 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

17-0 after 17 minutes to Scarlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Cheetahs are hopeless today, 7 handling errors already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Cheetahs are hopeless today, 7 handling errors already.

I'm not convinced they're more than a middling team anyway to be perfectly honest. Altitude and heat seems to do them a lot of favours at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Ohhhh my that was quite the individual try from Steff Evans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bazzo wrote: »
    I'm not convinced they're more than a middling team anyway to be perfectly honest. Altitude and heat seems to do them a lot of favours at home.

I think they are a bit better then that. But they have been in the go since early 2017 effectively. Losing a few of their better players after the game might set them back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Not sure if the Scarlets are just playing really well and up for it, or Cheetahs are just useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not sure if the Scarlets are just playing really well and up for it, or Cheetahs are just useless.
    I was only half joking yesterday about the Cheetahs players being ready to start life in the UK. About 10 of their 23 are leaving after this game and I reckon they've no interest in prolonging their season.

Making the playoffs means they haven't shamed themselves. All they want is a break now.

About to be 31-3. Pity to see a solid debut season end like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Scarlets now taking a few starters off. Game is done and dusted. Thankfully there's a Top14 game on in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Isn't the Cheetahs coach Rory Duncan also leaving? Off to Worcester or someone like that.

Disappointing performance given the conditions.

• Advertisement

Scarlets will break 60 here.

Any idea what sort of money difference there will be for SA Super sides and the Pro14 sides?

I'd imagine sponsors like Toyota must be delighted sponsoring the SA sides given the European and SA tv audience.

On a side note Ospreys getting a good player in Scott Williams. I presume he is leaving as Parkes and Jon Davies have 12/13 sewn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

I do wonder if rugby is the most popular sport in Wales as is often claimed. Attendance today was very poor at Parc y empty, although that is the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I do wonder if rugby is the most popular sport in Wales as is often claimed. Attendance today was very poor at Parc y empty, although that is the norm
    National sport. Nobody ever claims it's the most popular. Football is by far the most popular.

I imagine cricket would have strong enough numbers too with the likes of Glamorgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    There's still a great deal of resentment about the regions being set up in competition with the traditional clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Was at the Munster game yesterday, I was in shock at how low the attendance was. Guess no more than 7000. Quarter final of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

razorblunt wrote: »
    Eod100 wrote: »
    Does that mean no Sky from next season? No Champions Cup there either. Guess they will still have Top14 and some internationals..

No more Graeme Simmons, Stuart Barnes, Scott Quinnell, Will Greenwood, Mark Robson, Dewi Morris, Alan Quinlan.

What a time to be alive!

I, for one, welcome our new Eir Sport/Premier Sports overlords.

Alex Payne and James Gemmell are good though. I wonder if either of them will move to Premier Sports.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Was at the Munster game yesterday, I was in shock at how low the attendance was. Guess no more than 7000. Quarter final of the league.

Think official attendance was around 10k but that includes season tickets, whether they were used or not. Not great looking alright for a playoff game. 7k or so at the Scarlets game too, but that is more like their usual home crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Two more SA teams by the season after next, and a 5th the season after that.

Not sure how an odd number of teams would work?

http://www.the42.ie/pro14-rugby-set-for-further-expansion-into-south-africa-3997301-May2018/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

MJohnston wrote: »

http://www.the42.ie/pro14-rugby-set-for-further-expansion-into-south-africa-3997301-May2018/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

Looks like the S Africans want out of Super Rugby.
    Natal Sharks joining from 2019 season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

MJohnston wrote: »

May not be an odd number of teams if it coincides with an American side joining in 2020/21 or someone leaving. I'd say it'd be either 16 or 18 sides.

May not be an odd number of teams if it coincides with an American side joining in 2020/21 or someone leaving. I'd say it'd be either 16 or 18 sides.

6 SA sides make 18 teams, so 3 conferences potentially. Possible end to some derby games.

Play 5 x 2 in your own conference = 10
    Play others once = 12
    Total 22 games

6 SA sides make 18 teams, so 3 conferences potentially. Possible end to some derby games.

Play 5 x 2 in your own conference = 10
    Play others once = 12
    Total 22 games

There won't be an end to derby games, they'll just make the conferences geographical to avoid that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Zzippy wrote: »
    Think official attendance was around 10k but that includes season tickets, whether they were used or not. Not great looking alright for a playoff game. 7k or so at the Scarlets game too, but that is more like their usual home crowd.

Season tickets didn't cover this game. Yesterday was probably the only accurate attendance figure of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's a minor thing, but they'd probably want to rebrand from ProN to something that doesn't include a number, if they're changing so often. Not great for branding!

There won't be an end to derby games, they'll just make the conferences geographical to avoid that.

That's possible I guess.
    6 SA teams
    4 Irish plus Italian plus Scot
    4 Welsh plus Italian plus Scot

That's possible I guess.
    6 SA teams
    4 Irish plus Italian plus Scot
    4 Welsh plus Italian plus Scot

Well no, they wouldn't separate the Scottish or Italian teams for the same reason.

Well no, they wouldn't separate the Scottish or Italian teams for the same reason.

They won't have a choice maybe. They're bringing very little to the competition anyway.
    How else?

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I really hate these formats.

Isn't this nonsense one of the biggest complains with Super Rugby?

• Advertisement

They won't have a choice maybe. They're bringing very little to the competition anyway.
    How else?

It would be massively hypocritical to put the Irish teams together in order to maintain derbies while simultaneously separating the Scottish and Italian teams, when all you have to do is not split them.

Advertisement