Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 2017-18 season thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

****e news if you're a Virgin Media customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Starting to be become very hard to justify the sky package just for super rugby

Summer tour and the GAA semi-finals then I’ll be dropping Sky. Follow the PL but not enough to not subscribe to Eir for Champions Cup and Pro 14

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The Welch sides, bar Cardiff, are conducting exorcisms. Massive turnover. Dragons has dumped a dozen or so and bringing in 10 or so.
    Scarlets right there too, big clean out and some new players coming in. Ospreys are not quite as active yet. Insane cull, tough being on a Welsh side right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Dubinusa wrote: »
    The Welch sides, bar Cardiff, are conducting exorcisms. Massive turnover. Dragons has dumped a dozen or so and bringing in 10 or so.
    Scarlets right there too, big clean out and some new players coming in. Ospreys are not quite as active yet. Insane cull, tough being on a Welsh side right now.
    Well between retirements and non-renewals, Connacht have lost at least ten players this season too. Ulster can't be far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well between retirements and non-renewals, Connacht have lost at least ten players this season too. Ulster can't be far behind.

12 out I think.

• Advertisement

They're also trying to get airline sponsorship to reduce the costs of travelling to and from SA. According to the Indo, the TV deals add up to about €29 million for the league. That's more than twice what the previous deal was worth (before the Saffers joined).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

They're also trying to get airline sponsorship to reduce the costs of travelling to and from SA. According to the Indo, the TV deals add up to about €29 million for the league. That's more than twice what the previous deal was worth (before the Saffers joined).

Next year has potential to be a really tight league. If Italians can maintain progress, Kings and Dragons can improve even to the level of Zebre it would be a great boost to the league

League needs to consolidate its position now.

The conferences for next season will hopefully have 3/4 sides swapping around to mix it up

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Next year has potential to be a really tight league. If Italians can maintain progress, Kings and Dragons can improve even to the level of Zebre it would be a great boost to the league

League needs to consolidate its position now.

The conferences for next season will hopefully have 3/4 sides swapping around to mix it up
    I've no doubt that the success in Europe has helped. With three Pro 14 teams in the semi-finals, it's an easy sell in terms of quality at the top end. And as you say, the Italian teams making a go of it helps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Eod100 wrote: »
    Does that mean no Sky from next season? No Champions Cup there either. Guess they will still have Top14 and some internationals..

No more Graeme Simmons, Stuart Barnes, Scott Quinnell, Will Greenwood, Mark Robson, Dewi Morris, Alan Quinlan.

What a time to be alive!

I, for one, welcome our new Eir Sport/Premier Sports overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

razorblunt wrote: »
    No more Graeme Simmons, Stuart Barnes, Scott Quinnell, Will Greenwood, Mark Robson, Dewi Morris, Alan Quinlan.

What a time to be alive!

I, for one, welcome our new Eir Sport/Premier Sports overlords.

I will miss scott. Punditry version of James Lowe for enthusiasm

• Advertisement

Quinnell and Greenwood I don't mind. The rest you can keep.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Quinnell and Greenwood I don't mind. The rest you can keep.

Yeah and I actually thin Quinlan has gotten a lot better this season also. Seems more comfortable and his Off the Ball stuff has been fairly decent at times.

Actually, I think I read that wrong. The figure is for next season according to The Indo. I was wondering because Anayi had said that it brought the Pro 14 much closer to the Premiership and €29 million wouldn't be within an ass's roar if it was for three years. The closest I can estimate the Premiership deal to be, is around £45 million a season. So that's a good deal closer alright.

Actually, I think I read that wrong. The figure is for next season according to The Indo. I was wondering because Anayi had said that it brought the Pro 14 much closer to the Premiership and €29 million wouldn't be within an ass's roar if it was for three years. The closest I can estimate the Premiership deal to be, is around £45 million a season. So that's a good deal closer alright.

The figure I've seen everywhere is £90 million over 3 seasons or £30 million a season. The previous deal was supposedly around £12 million per season before the saffers joined.

The figure I've seen everywhere is £90 million over 3 seasons or £30 million a season
    Sorry, but you're confusing me. :confused:

I could assume you're talking about the Pro 14 because the amounts match, but you're stating it in sterling, so...

Edit: Missed your ninja edit. :), so is it sterling or euro?

Sorry, but you're confusing me. :confused:

I could assume you're talking about the Pro 14 because the amounts match, but you're stating it in sterling, so...

Yeah, I'm stating it in sterling because up until now, mainly after the premier sports deal, that's the figure that was reported. It would be a few mill more than the €29 million the indo is going with.

Yeah, I'm stating it in sterling because up until now, mainly after the premier sports deal, that's the figure that was reported. It would be a few mill more than the €29 million the indo is going with.
    In either currency, it's a massive jump. Really good bit of business all round. Over £2 million per team per season. I wonder is there a SA TV deal to follow or is that already tied up?

In either currency, it's a massive jump. Really good bit of business all round. Over £2 million per team per season. I wonder is there a SA TV deal to follow or is that already tied up?

Yeah, huge injection of cash. I think those figures are supposed to include the entire TV deal, South Africa included.

Couple more pieces of news
    Pro14 working 'furiously' to avoid clash of finals with Champions League
    Pro14 CEO Martin Anayi also hopes to see South African teams in European tournaments in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

They were foolish to schedule the final for 6:30. Do they not have sports calendars in their head office!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Peter File wrote: »
    They were foolish to schedule the final for 6:30. Do they not have sports calendars in their head office!!

It wasn't solely down to them. The broadcaster have a big hand in the decision. And there was no way to know how much interest there would have been in the final. Had it been Real vs Roma for example then it wouldn't have been that much of an issue.

Yeah. I think it was sandwiched between the Aviva Premiership final and the Champions League final.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I wonder if we’ll start seeing the big signings soon.

I wonder if we’ll start seeing the big signings soon.
    What? Like Owen Farrell to Ulster? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Not mad keen on Sky coverage.

But it will be a Hay-ooge disappointment not to be seeing as much of Quinnell

Not mad keen on Sky coverage.

But it will be a Hay-ooge disappointment not to be seeing as much of Quinnell
    When these changes happen, I always feel for the commentators and pundits who've made a career from this. It has to be a bitter pill for them to swallow.

It's possible that they'll be picked up by the other broadcasters, but it's not a certainty by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

When these changes happen, I always feel for the commentators and pundits who've made a career from this. It has to be a bitter pill for them to swallow.

It's possible that they'll be picked up by the other broadcasters, but it's not a certainty by any stretch.

Yeah I’m certain Stuart Barnes’ decision to join Twitter this year was driven by a desire to become more attractive to other broadcasters. Not a fan of his commentary but feel for him personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Scarlets team to take Toyota Cheetahs at Parc y Scarlets on Saturday 5th May, kick-off 18:35;

15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Tom Prydie, 13 Scott Williams, 12 Hadleigh Parkes, 11 Steff Evans, 10 Rhys Patchell, 9 Gareth Davies,
    1 Rob Evans, 2 Ken Owens ©, 3 Samson Lee, 4 Lewis Rawlins, 5 Steve Cummins, 6 Tadhg Beirne, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay

Replacements; 16 Ryan Elias, 17 Wyn Jones, 18 Werner Kruger, 19 Aaron Shingler, 20 Will Boyde, 21 Jonathan Evans, 22 Dan Jones, 23 Steff Hughe

Toyota Cheetahs

15 Clayton Blommetjies**
    14 William Small-Smith
    13 Francois Venter ( C)
    12 Niel Marais
    11 Sibahle Maxwane
    10 Johan Goosen
    9 Tian Meyer

1 Ox Nche
    2 Torsten van Jaarsveld
    3 Johan Coetzee
    4 Carl Wegner
    5 Rynier Bernardo
    6 Paul Schoeman
    7 Oupa Mohoje
    8 Uzair Cassiem

16 Jacques du Toit
    17 Charles Marais
    18 Tom Botha
    19 Reniel Hugo
    20 Henco Venter
    21 Zee Mkhabela
    22 Clinton Swart**
    23 Lloyd Greeff

**Player subject to final fitness test.

The following players are not eligible for team selection due to injury:

Dennis Visser (knee), Elandruggett (knee) Ruan van Rensburg (hand), Luan de Bruin (chest muscle), Shaun Venter (knee), Nico Lee (ankle), Luther Obi (knee).

Interesting that the two favourites for the weekend both are likely reeling from disappointing semi final results in the champions cup.

I wouldn't be hugely surprised if there was an upset in one or both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Interesting that the two favourites for the weekend both are likely reeling from disappointing semi final results in the champions cup.

I wouldn't be hugely surprised if there was an upset in one or both.

I think both home teams will win but I think Edinburgh will give it a good rattle. Cockerill has done a great job there and they've become a decent enough side. They've the ability to score a couple of tries even if Munster dominate most of the match.

I can't see the Cheetahs getting too close in Wales. The distance will be an issue along with the fact that half of their starting team hope to start their new lives in the UK straight after the final whistle...

Advertisement