Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Samaris wrote: »
    I was wondering yesterday if anti-vaxxers, denialism about climate, etcetera, is some sort of weird species-level instinct to screw ourselves in the most ridiculous ways to ensure we don't eliminate controls on our population sizes.

Its an interesting thought alright, some inbuilt stupid switch that triggers to stop us overpopulating the earth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Anti-vaccination and refusing to eliminate dangerous diseases is working-as-intended then. Climate change was a bit of a backfire as it hits many other species too.

Bit of a gloomy thought that we're this programmable though.

Anti-vaccination and refusing to eliminate dangerous diseases is working-as-intended then. Climate change was a bit of a backfire as it hits many other species too.

Not really its kinda similar to genetic memory, "ohhh sh1t weve fcked like bunnies again, time to turn on the stupid to kill X% and save the planet"

Of course that assumes we had done it before, this may be the first run at it so its more like a genetic safeguard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Was reading there about the 1918 Spanish Flu outbreak - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

I knew it was terrible but didn't think it killed 50-100 million. Also didn't know it was a strain of H1N1.

A pandemic again like that would definitely result in a brutal population correction.

But sure who need vaccines. To riff on Monty Python - what has science ever done for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

VinLieger wrote: »
    Not really its kinda similar to genetic memory, "ohhh sh1t weve fcked like bunnies again, time to turn on the stupid to kill X% and save the planet"

Of course that assumes we had done it before, this may be the first run at it so its more like a genetic safeguard

You're giving pharmaceutical companies ideas for a new vaccine :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The planet doesn't really care, it will keep spinning, and in a few million years, we'll be oil for the next civilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Had a look at the Regret Facebook page. Close to 20,000 people like this page, and a lot of them are very vocal. A few snippets

my eldest was very sick for 6 months after hers but we didn't know at the time it was the injection.. so the twins got there's.. no problem with them tg but it's scary to think this is being forced 1f622.png

The HPV vaccine is a multimillion dollar scam and there is no reason to force anyone to get it except for financial gain

Making you and your children ill is their intention, if you're not sick they are losing profits, End of story.

It's a money making scam, as are all vaccines. Non of them immunise! They all cause destruction

And dissenting voices seem to be removed
    Why has Shanes comment been removed. I came to this page to read open opinions. Do you delete those who are questioning your views?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Had a look at the Regret Facebook page. Close to 20,000 people like this page, and a lot of them are very vocal. A few snippets

my eldest was very sick for 6 months after hers but we didn't know at the time it was the injection.. so the twins got there's.. no problem with them tg but it's scary to think this is being forced 1f622.png

The HPV vaccine is a multimillion dollar scam and there is no reason to force anyone to get it except for financial gain

Making you and your children ill is their intention, if you're not sick they are losing profits, End of story.

It's a money making scam, as are all vaccines. Non of them immunise! They all cause destruction

Why has Shanes comment been removed. I came to this page to read open opinions. Do you delete those who are questioning your views?

Paranoid, stupid people. Comments like the ones above come from folks who are wholly unfit to bring up children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That's what they do. Dissent is frowned upon. Their word is law. And [snipped] just deletes comments she disapproves of.

Just FYI [snipped] are the same person. [snipped] has multiple sock-puppet accounts both on Facebook and Twitter. She is also behind the "Blocked by the Irish Cancer Society" facebook/twitter - special kind of paranoia on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Orion wrote: »
    That's what they do. Dissent is frowned upon. Their word is law. And [snipped] just deletes comments she disapproves of.

Just FYI [snipped] are the same person. [snipped] has multiple sock-puppet accounts both on Facebook and Twitter. She is also behind the "Blocked by the Irish Cancer Society" facebook/twitter - special kind of paranoia on that one.[/B].

That's very interesting. It's very concerning that someone like that can influence so many people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

What a charming woman.
    DJBmMh_XoAE_t3Y.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I've been saying this all along - the real driving force behind the HPV fearmongering campaign is sexual conservatism. Sick, evil individuals who believe that STDs are a just punishment for being 'immoral' and invent genuine-sounding health concerns to spread as propaganda to gullible people. I'm quite sure that many of the parents on this bandwagon don't realise that the real motive for those spearheading it is not health but social authoritarianism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Nora Benis is an extremely right wing conservative Catholic Limerick woman. She has been involved with picketing the local family planning clinic and the first "sex shop" in Limerick. She is very much against contraception, divorce, sex before marriage, gay marriage, abortion etc.
    Most people find her a bit of a joke because her views would be considered old fashioned but she does have a following.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Crea wrote: »
    Nora Benis is an extremely right wing conservative Catholic Limerick woman. She has been involved with picketing the local family planning clinic and the first "sex shop" in Limerick. She is very much against contraception, divorce, sex before marriage, gay marriage, abortion etc.
    Most people find her a bit of a joke because her views would be considered old fashioned but she does have a following.

The exact same applies to Fidelma Healy Eames, and she was one of the first high profile politicians to jump on this bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

I've been saying this all along - the real driving force behind the HPV fearmongering campaign is sexual conservatism. Sick, evil individuals who believe that STDs are a just punishment for being 'immoral' and invent genuine-sounding health concerns to spread as propaganda to gullible people. I'm quite sure that many of the parents on this bandwagon don't realise that the real motive for those spearheading it is not health but social authoritarianism.

Personally believe the majority are the usual far left politically arty types rather than the religious right. I think the religious right would be unashamedly up front about their views on the morality of this vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

But is she claimimg that the vaccine is morally wrong and/or that it is the cause of these illnesses?

jh79 wrote: »
    But is she claimimg that the vaccine is morally wrong and/or that it is the cause of these illnesses?

Both from how i read it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

She's claiming it's morally wrong because it allows girls to have sex, and sex is bad. And sex causes the virus.

Bat**** insane, but other, smarter people can hide the insanity better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

She's claiming it's morally wrong because it allows girls to have sex, and sex is bad. And sex causes the virus.

Bat**** insane, but other, smarter people can hide the insanity better.

Not the first time I've come across that attitude, unfortunately.

I wonder... would it actually be possible to vaccinated against STDs like chlamydia and gonhorrea?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I remember that wagon from I think the time of the X-Case and the divorce referendum. I thought she was dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

kylith wrote: »
    Not the first time I've come across that attitude, unfortunately.

I wonder... would it actually be possible to vaccinated against STDs like chlamydia and gonhorrea?
    It seems it's a matter of ongoing research. Perhaps there'll be such programmes in the future.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3067520/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's certainly possible, but it's really a question of whether or not it would be cost-effective -

Cost-effectiveness of Chlamydia Vaccination Programs for Young Women

First vaccine shows gonorrhoea protection

Interesting one about the potential for a gonorrhoea vaccine is that it was discovered as a side-effect of another vaccine -

The vaccine, originally developed to stop an outbreak of meningitis B, was given to about a million adolescents in New Zealand between 2004 and 2006.

Researchers at the University of Auckland analysed data from sexual health clinics and found gonorrhoea cases had fallen 31% in those vaccinated.

The bacterium that causes meningitis, Neisseria meningitidis, is a very close relative of the species that causes gonorrhoea - Neisseria gonorrhoeae.

It appears the Men B jab was giving "cross-protection" against gonorrhoea.

Dr Helen Petousis-Harris, one of the researchers, said: "This is the first time a vaccine has shown any protection against gonorrhoea.

"At the moment, the mechanism behind this immune response is unknown, but our findings could inform future vaccine development."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

mikhail wrote: »
    It seems it's a matter of ongoing research. Perhaps there'll be such programmes in the future.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3067520/

I hope so.

But we'll still have the repressed getting up in arms cos youg people will be having the sex!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Personally believe the majority are the usual far left politically arty types rather than the religious right. I think the religious right would be unashamedly up front about their views on the morality of this vaccine.

Not sure far left describes some of the people I know but I get where you're coming from. The most fervent anti-vaxxers I know are a trio of alternative-medicine-taking, homeopathy-endorsing earth mothers. Their partners are just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I hope so.

But we'll still have the repressed getting up in arms cos youg people will be having the sex!

There's a massive increase in oul wans getting the clap as well, so it's not just the jungwans that have an interest in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No she does not. 673 votes in ge16. I could probably get more than that if i danced naked in my town square.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,265 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No she does not. 673 votes in ge16. I could probably get more than that if i danced naked in my town square.

I believe her people are all shinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

but but , she's nice - according to herself and the IT

NORA BENNIS is nice. You can tell by the smile lines around her 56 year old eyes. And if you still don't believe it she will tell you herself how nice she is.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/you-know-who-i-am-and-what-i-stand-for-1.75740

• Registered Users Posts: 40,324 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

gctest50 wrote: »
    but but , she's nice - according to herself and the IT

I once walked around a pub in temple bar and insisted to everybody that i was quiet and shy. something similar going on there i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vaccines-and-autism-a-new-scientific-review/

And yet again vaccines possible link with autism. The vaccine manufacturers pay for 90% of the research and pay to discredit any study that links there products with the millions of damaged kids. Safer vaccines needed!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement