Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭moonage

Two mice who are friends meet up.

First mouse says to the other: ”Are you getting the Covid jab?” Second mouse says: ”You are joking, aren’t you? No way....they’re still testing it on humans!”.

We're back to dumping links, then.

Back on repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

not just dumping links but dumping links to something everybody is well aware of and doesn't contain any new relevant information.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

not just dumping links but dumping links to something everybody is well aware of and doesn't contain any new relevant information.

Yep. When all else fails, treat narcolepsy sufferers as subhuman pawns.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I'm just pointing out that there can be down sides to vaccines.

Does that make me "anti vax" ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Big Gerry wrote: »

You wheel this tiresome disingenuous tangent out every so often because it's all you have.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why else would you bother to post it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

moonage wrote: »
    Two mice who are friends meet up.

First mouse says to the other: ”Are you getting the Covid jab?” Second mouse says: ”You are joking, aren’t you? No way....they’re still testing it on humans!”.

Don't worry, mice aren't susceptible to COVID-19 and don't need a jab.

Humans are susceptible to COVID-19 and do need a jab.

It's good that all our jabs have full regulatory approval after a full testing regime leaving anti-vaxxers on the edge of society trying to make pithy jokes.

Vaccines are not always good.

[url][/url]

Dentistry is not always good then.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-02-09-me-41415-story.html

Whats your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

job seeker wrote: »
    I just can't imagine how someone can be that deluded and be so against a vaccine without any proof other than some made-up propaganda sh1t.. Come one like..

Thankfully the anti-vax are a small minority.. It's the people who are so careful and sticking to restrictions etc. that end up getting ill or dying from the reckless behaviour of anti-vaxxers is who I really feel most sad/sorry for...

It's true that anti-vaxxers aren't just engaging in harmless common or garden gobsh1tery like the 911 inside job or faked moon landings; the anti-vax stance has real consequences for innocent people. Thankfully, the perception that it's a widely-held attitude is artificially inflated by social media, and the reality is that these clowns are part of a very small minority. Most people who don't have a problem with vaccines don't spend timing posting about it, making the anti's seem more numerous than they really are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

There's downsides to all drugs, paracetamol and the birth control pill will cause a higher rate of blood clots than the covid vaccine, a simple anesthetic can kill some people, my own sister is allergic to penicillin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

"I'm just concerned about vaccine safety"

"I'm just asking questions about 9/11"

"I'm just saying some things don't make sense about the moon landings"

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hazemat

I saw somebody post an anti-vax thing on Facebook recently. Source was the Tucker Carlson (yeah I know!) show on Fox News.

Very thin on detail and skewed science/facts.

Scary when you see people in your social circle whom you thought were intelligent, lapping this stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,498 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why are women more hesitant to get the Covid-19 vaccine?
    Online spaces which tend to be more popular with women, such as yoga, wellness and homeopathy communities, have become a hotbed of Covid misinformation, said Cécile Guerin, a researcher with the Institute for Strategic Dialogue, which works to counter online disinformation.

There is even a word for it: “conspirituality”, which Guerin, who is also a qualified yoga teacher, described as the “intersection of spirituality and conspiracy theories”.

Anti-vaccination sentiment has always been present in such communities, she said.

“New-age thinking has built itself around transgression and going against the norm. And transgression today is embodied by conspiracy theories and being anti-vaccination and anti-lockdowns.”

But such groups had seen a surge in misinformation and conspiracy theories since Covid, and particularly since the summer when adherents of the QAnon conspiracy theory started to infiltrate them, said Ms Guerin.

“It took a darker turn. People’s fears about vaccine side effects were being hijacked by conspiracy theorists claiming global elites were using vaccinations to restrict our freedoms.”

“Conspiracy theorists in the yoga and wellness world have also become quite good at co-opting the language of feminism,” she said. “For instance one of the slogans that’s always used with reference to vaccines is ‘my body, my choice’.”
    There is ample evidence of the prevalence of anti-vaccination sentiment in new-age groups in Ireland, although adherents who spoke to The Irish Times stressed it remains a minority position.

Earlier this week businesswoman Carina Harkin, who describes herself as a naturopath, an acupuncturist and a homeopath, stood in Eyre Square in Galway telling a small crowd that Covid deaths in India are being faked and that the country’s soaring death rate is a result of lockdowns. “Who cares about India, I want to be free,” she said.

Ms Harkin’s Galway-based business advertises consultation costing up to €250 and homeopathic kits for children costing €150 – the kit contains 18 ingredients which she claims will protect against polio, smallpox and dengue fever, among other ailments. A disclaimer at the bottom states the substances are not an alternative to vaccinations.

Grifter making false medical claims.
    Naturopath? more like a sociopath.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Not just a Naturopath, also a homeopath. The Paltrow is strong in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Kill me

[QUOTE
    Ben Franklin
    2 days ago
    I wonder how humans survived thousands of years without vaccines.... hmmm][/QUOTE]
    Ben Franklin
    Ben Franklin
    1 day ago
    Yeah sure. Bodies have been stacking in the streets from recurring plagues. Again. How has humanity survived without vaccines for thousands of years?

Highlighted reply
    Ben Franklin
    1 hour ago
    People like you love claiming correlation doesn’t imply causation. If that’s the case then how do we know any vaccine that’s ever been used has actually worked and it’s not just natural herd immunity? 🤯

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I have to say ..there is such a thing as toxic masculinity. But if there is ..then there is also such a thing as toxic femininity.

Its not JUST post covid. https://www.livescience.com/61305-most-online-anti-vaxxers-are-women.html

It was before covid too.

I think i can explain why ..(or at least my opinion on why).

I like yoga etc ..and alternative spirituality

And most of these spaces tend to be very female dominated. These spaces also tend to be full of alternative health gurus. Women are drawn to it for good reasons ..but absorb a lot of bad things.

Men seem to be less drawn to these 'gurus' etc.

I think that is where the anti vax stuff is coming from.

Plus ..i have a theory ...that women tend to think ...it takes a village to raise a child ...in that they usually tend to think they should interfere in how people should raise their own kids ...or what they should do. Thus the SHARING of this info ..rather than simply keeping it to themselves and making their own decision.

The thing is anti vaxxers are not simply stating its THEIR choice. They are actively spreading information and attempting to change the minds of others around them.

Side note ..i think its a fact that women are drawn to these alternative health things that also created diet culture which women also propagate online.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ms Harkin’s Galway-based business advertises consultation costing up to €250 and homeopathic kits for children costing €150 – the kit contains 18 ingredients which she claims will protect against polio, smallpox and dengue fever, among other ailments. A disclaimer at the bottom states the substances are not an alternative to vaccinations.

I'm just gonna say, as a gambler and a business person perspective, I mean thanks to vaccinations, what are the chances the small number of people who will buy your BS will ever get any of those if they never leave Ireland?

It'd be very hard indeed to get smallpox, given that it's been eradicated... by vaccination.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

In fairness you see a lot of similar stuff on some of the threads in the Christianity forum on here with a few posters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It'd be very hard indeed to get smallpox, given that it's been eradicated... by vaccination.

while not totally eradicated you would have to really go out of your way to catch polio as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭paul71

Yes it does.

So did asking where all the autistic people in Ireland were when you were growing up.

So did asking how the human race survive 10s of thousands of years without vaccines.

So did posting a picture of a nurse fainting because of a normal needle phobia after receiving a vaccine.

You trawl the internet looking for falsehoods to repeat, and rehash them here until shot down and then disappear until you find the next lie.

Lies that have killed people by reducing vaccination rates and ensuring that humanity still has the gifts of measles and polio instead sending them way we sent smallpox.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,356 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

At least admit you are.

Own your opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yes yes it does!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have to say ..there is such a thing as toxic masculinity. But if there is ..then there is also such a thing as toxic femininity.

Its not JUST post covid. https://www.livescience.com/61305-most-online-anti-vaxxers-are-women.html

It was before covid too.

I think i can explain why ..(or at least my opinion on why).

I like yoga etc ..and alternative spirituality

And most of these spaces tend to be very female dominated. These spaces also tend to be full of alternative health gurus. Women are drawn to it for good reasons ..but absorb a lot of bad things.

Men seem to be less drawn to these 'gurus' etc.

I think that is where the anti vax stuff is coming from.

Plus ..i have a theory ...that women tend to think ...it takes a village to raise a child ...in that they usually tend to think they should interfere in how people should raise their own kids ...or what they should do. Thus the SHARING of this info ..rather than simply keeping it to themselves and making their own decision.

The thing is anti vaxxers are not simply stating its THEIR choice. They are actively spreading information and attempting to change the minds of others around them.

Side note ..i think its a fact that women are drawn to these alternative health things that also created diet culture which women also propagate online.

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion around here, aside from the 'toxic masculinity' part.

I think you are dead right about the herd mentality among women, but it equally applies to men. It just happens to be in different interests. Women have vagina steaming, crystals, angel cards and moon godess stuff. Men have incel culture, fascism and football.

Maybe we should switch to 'toxic humanity', as it affects all genders.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Couldn't possibly be that women, especially younger women, appear to be over represented when it comes to negative side effects.

Check out the reddit board, full of pro vax people, which has been inundated with reports of changes to women's periods or post menopausal women getting heavy periods.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CovidVaccinated/

Here's just the latest one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CovidVaccinated/comments/n98pzs/do_menstrual_cycles_eventually_normalize/

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Anyone who thinks Reddit or any social media site is a useful source of medical information is an idiot.

And one of the anecdotes there - for anecdotes is all they are - for example says their unusual activity happened a month after the vaccine. And that is just one example of how problematic such anecdotes are.

Over a large population - where there are millions of people - there is a continuously varying level of everything from biological processes to illness and disease to just feelings of mental health and well being. These things change constantly all the time. Quite often we do not even notice it - because we have no reason to.

But bring in something like a mass inoculation with a vaccine and suddenly all the variance - previously noticed or not noticed - gains a narrative. In a population that large over the space of a month you are going to get people experiencing anecdotes of little or no note. But suddenly now they will have a reason to note it. And as soon as someone posts something like "Oh I just had a weird period" you will get a host of "Oh me too!" people - and it suddenly looks like something is happening when in fact it is not.

This is similar to what happened with the falsely manufactured Autism scares around MMR. There was pretty much nothing but a few "me too" anecdotes supporting anything now disgraced people like Wakefield were pushing at the time.

So no - if there as a menstrual or other issue affecting women disproportionately related to any or all of the vaccines I will wait for actual data on the matter - rather than anecdotes on a site like Reddit. Until then we would have no basis to put any stock in a sentence like "women, especially younger women, appear to be over represented when it comes to negative side effects."

Couldn't possibly be that women, especially younger women, appear to be over represented when it comes to negative side effects.

Check out the reddit board, full of pro vax people, which has been inundated with reports of changes to women's periods or post menopausal women getting heavy periods.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CovidVaccinated/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CovidVaccinated/comments/n98pzs/do_menstrual_cycles_eventually_normalize/

More dumping, basically of anecdotes which suit your agenda.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Brian? wrote: »
    I don't think that's an unpopular opinion around here, aside from the 'toxic masculinity' part.

I think you are dead right about the herd mentality among women, but it equally applies to men. It just happens to be in different interests. Women have vagina steaming, crystals, angel cards and moon godess stuff. Men have incel culture, fascism and football.

Maybe we should switch to 'toxic humanity', as it affects all genders.
    Both genders, but yep, pretty much, though there are some broad differences along gender lines. But both BroScience and ChickThink are based in ignorance and groupthink reinforcing said ignorance. It's hard to say which gets more traction in current western society. It could be argued that because more women are in media ChickThink has the upper hand, but then you have Fox news and Joe Rogen...

On incel culture, fascism and football? Incels are more likely among men because of the nature of the mating game. Their opposite number could be described as women looking for relationships but only getting offers of sex. Fascism or any political ism really is just as much bought into by both genders. Indeed when an ism is in play as the majority politic women are as likely if not more likely to be supporters of it and rebels against it are more likely to be male*. I would contend that women are more the foot soldiers when it comes to the daily nitty gritty of supporting the status quo of societies.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement