Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vaxxers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

VinLieger wrote: »
    My wife works with someone similar, an announcement went out last week he was talking time off cus his uncle had died from covid, which means he not believing in covid had to tell his bosses that his uncle died of covid, the cognitive dissonance these people are capable of is insane.

It is insane indeed. I feel sorry for people like this! Just so ignorant of scientific evidence and they have to be directly affected in such a serious way to cop on..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

job seeker wrote: »
    I work with someone who claims that the US government "made" Covid19.. It's the funniest thing ever..

lol, it was the Chinese

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Laszlo Cravensworth

It is insane indeed. I feel sorry for people like this! Just so ignorant of scientific evidence and they have to be directly affected in such a serious way to cop on..

A neighbour of mine was in his 70s. He caught covid and sadly died last week. He refused his vaccination. His family are deeply religious and all are anti mask/lockdown/vaccine.

Even now, both his daughters who are in their late forties still refuse to see the benefits of the vaccinations. It is all God's plan, his time etc....

This man could have had another 10 or 15 years of good quality life and seen his grandkids grow up.

It's very sad really

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A neighbour of mine was in his 70s. He caught covid and sadly died last week. He refused his vaccination. His family are deeply religious and all are anti mask/lockdown/vaccine.

Even now, both his daughters who are in their late forties still refuse to see the benefits of the vaccinations. It is all God's plan, his time etc....

This man could have had another 10 or 15 years of good quality life and seen his grandkids grow up.

It's very sad really

This is why I can't find the anti-vaxx thing funny. Whether those spreading it are stupid or malevolent, it's causing real harm. Laughing at it during a pandemic is like laughing at people's deaths IMO.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's very sad really
    Given that the churches all endorse the vaccine, it was pretty stupid of him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

A good friend of mine from college started sending me crazy links stating that the virus and vaccine is part of a global depopulation agenda. The last straw was when he sent me on a link warning pregnant women to stay away from vaccinated people because somehow they can cause miscarriages. I haven't contacted him since.

The same friend's family was involved in the Christina Gallagher House of Prayer cult in Achill Island for years. They utterly lap up conspiracy theories, especially religious ones which predict doom and destruction upon the world. I'd love to help him get away from all that crap but I think he's too far gone. I'm genuinely worried for him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A good friend of mine from college started sending me crazy links stating that the virus and vaccine is part of a global depopulation agenda.
    It's way more lethal for those who have passed their reproductive peak. So that CT fails at the first hurdle.

If you're young and healthy there is no need to risk getting the covid vaccine.

The risk from covid greatly outweighs the risk from the vaccine. So ya, quoting edgy podcasters is a poor argument.

FFS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Laszlo Cravensworth

Given that the churches all endorse the vaccine, it was pretty stupid of him!

Both of his daughters home school their children. He had, and they continue to have a strong dislike of the current pope, because they believe he is not conservative enough. They subscribe to the notion that chemtrails are a real thing and that the government are putting too much fluoride and other chemicals in the water to help keep the population subservient. Oh, and both of them still firmly believe that the MMR vaccination causes children to develop autism.

They all loved Trump too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Is that you Joe?

The risk from covid greatly outweighs the risk from the vaccine. So ya, quoting edgy podcasters is a poor argument.

I wouldn't worry about arguing with a rereg who can't get laid without paying for it if I was you. That they have to pay for it, is probably the only factual thing that they ever post on here.

It's very sad really

That's desperately sad! Imagine having that thought process... Or worse still the grandkids growing up listening to that bull... :rolleyes:

Both of his daughters home school their children. He had, and they continue to have a strong dislike of the current pope, because they believe he is not conservative enough. They subscribe to the notion that chemtrails are a real thing and that the government are putting too much fluoride and other chemicals in the water to help keep the population subservient. Oh, and both of them still firmly believe that the MMR vaccination causes children to develop autism.

They all loved Trump too.

That's nothing about being religious and more about stupidity, and that's a mix of genetics and environmental factors.

This is why I can't find the anti-vaxx thing funny. Whether those spreading it are stupid or malevolent, it's causing real harm. Laughing at it during a pandemic is like laughing at people's deaths IMO.

I just can't imagine how someone can be that deluded and be so against a vaccine without any proof other than some made-up propaganda sh1t.. Come one like..

Thankfully the anti-vax are a small minority.. It's the people who are so careful and sticking to restrictions etc. that end up getting ill or dying from the reckless behaviour of anti-vaxxers is who I really feel most sad/sorry for...

Yes having sex with girls who look models is my cross to bear. But considering I have paid sfa attention to the covid 'rules' and not had so much as a sniffle, why should I bother with the vaccine.

You know if you have to inflate them first it doesn't count right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just can't imagine how someone can be that deluded and be so against a vaccine without any proof other than some made-up propaganda sh1t.. Come one like..

Thankfully the anti-vax are a small minority.. It's the people who are so careful and sticking to restrictions etc. that end up getting ill or dying from the reckless behaviour of anti-vaxxers is who I really feel most sad/sorry for...

You were saying how funny it was not too long ago. It's rarely the anti-vaxxers who pay the price for the bile they spew.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

You were saying how funny it was not too long ago. It's rarely the anti-vaxxers who pay the price for the bile they spew.

I did. Bad choice of words on my account.. I should have used bizarre or a different word. I am well aware that there is nothing at all funny about death and suffering and was not insinuating that there was either.

I have tried talking to my work colleague and there is no reasoning with them at all.

Press Ombudsman dismisses complaint from Jim Corr over Irish Daily Mirror's 'online quack' comment
    Jim Corr said that contrary to what was published in the newspaper column, he was not an ‘online quack’.

i remember reading prior to covid,something like 60% of anti-vax content on facebook could be traced to 120 accounts

60% of that 60% was traced back to 12 accounts/individuals....

Small bit info:https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/544712-twelve-anti-vaxxers-are-responsible-for-two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Press Ombudsman dismisses complaint from Jim Corr over Irish Daily Mirror's 'online quack' comment
    Jim Corr said that contrary to what was published in the newspaper column, he was not an ‘online quack’.

was he objecting to the use of online or the use of quack?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

i remember reading prior to covid,something like 60% of anti-vax content on facebook could be traced to 120 accounts

60% of that 60% was traced back to 12 accounts/individuals....

Small bit info:https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/544712-twelve-anti-vaxxers-are-responsible-for-two
    Facebook are scum. They'll do anything to drive up traffic and hence ad views.

No matter how many people die, do not expect them to change unless legally compelled to or they start loosing revenue.

Facebook are scum. They'll do anything to drive up traffic and hence ad views.

No matter how many people die, do not expect them to change unless legally compelled to or they start loosing revenue.

And yet some people think they're left wing.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ireland needs freedom of speech and freedom of the press.

Never mind some compensation for the insulted ducks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,498 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not surprised Corr doesn't know the difference between having freedom of speech and claiming that he has a "right" to force a third party to publish his speech. Which he doesn't.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Interesting read. Vaccines associated with longer life expectancy in general, not just because of the diseases they present. In this study, children in Guinea-Bissau that are vaccinated live longer in general than those who don't. Dogs have been shown to live longer if they get a rabies vaccine, too, more than would have died due to rabies. Fascinating stuff, this is a non-obvious argument in favor of vaccines, in general.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200915-the-mystery-of-why-some-vaccines-are-doubly-beneficial

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement