Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Back in December, Ars Technica launched a Youtube series called War Stories which features interviews with a number of developers talking about some memorable experiences they had while working on some of their most noteworthy projects. I'm enjoying it so far so thought I'd share it here since I've not heard much buzz about it elsewhere.

Here's the latest episode featuring Glen Schofield, who served as Executive Producer on the original Dead Space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Playing Assassin's Creed Revelations at the moment. Ezio Auditore da Firenze is a favourite of mine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tempted by Ace combat 7 after all the positive reviews. Not played a good arcade flight simulator in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Evade

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Tempted by Ace combat 7 after all the positive reviews. Not played a good arcade flight simulator in a long time.
    I'm on mission 11, it's good so far but one or two missions have kind of confusing objectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I heard it was a bit ruff and you would be barking to play it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Skerries wrote: »
    I heard it was a bit ruff and you would be barking to play it ;)

Too soon... RIP Dog.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Logged into Steam today and a game called Thief Simulator was recommended to me. €20.

The name gives it away. Sandbox game where you burgle houses. Story isn't anything terribly earth-shattering but the gameplay is pretty interesting. A lot of detail gone into the burglary aspect. You need to learn different skills, pawn stuff you steal, buy better tools, escape the cops, "case the joint" (e.g. watch and learn people's routines), make a getaway, make sure you're not spotted by people doing suspicious stuff, etc.

Indifferent ways, it reminds me of GTA and Driver and Tenchu and Manhunt for the stealth aspects. Had quite an enjoyable time. The car handling is pretty crap but, thankfully, you don't need to drive too much. Gameplay and realism is very good. Defo recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Same here, a skeleton waves from an Afterburner cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Logged into Steam today and a game called Thief Simulator was recommended to me. €20.

Looked it up on youtube. Got a laugh from the black van being driven away along a sunny road.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I know on Steam, you can see the number of players playing a certain game but are you able to see how many people played a certain game during a certain time period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I know on Steam, you can see the number of players playing a certain game but are you able to see how many people played a certain game during a certain time period?

Using https://steamspy.com you can check CCU hourly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ace Combat 7 finally released on PC last night and I got to play it and it's absolutely glorious.

Think I might prefer it over the Resi 2 remake.

Off to a good start and only just out of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Think I might prefer it over the Resi 2 remake

Say what now? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ace Combat 7 finally released on PC last night and I got to play it and it's absolutely glorious.

Oh cool, I might give this a blast myself.
    Where did you pick it up, if you don't me asking? :)

• Is ace combat on console?

Is ace combat on console?

It is indeed. PS4 and Xbox One.

• ZiabR wrote: »
    It is indeed. PS4 and Xbox One.

FML

Now I'm going to have to buy it

FML

Now I'm going to have to buy it

Whoops.... :D Sorry about that :D

ZiabR wrote: »
    Say what now? :eek:

Yeah, it's a lot of fun. Early days but had a blast with it last night.

Soundtrack is fantastic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Apparently the VR missions (on PS VR) are really good in it too.

• Advertisement

PS4 seems like the best version in a way as you get 3 VR missions and also Ace Combat 4 remaster which looks like it won't be sold separately.

But I've only got a base Ps4 and it runs at an unstable framerate at around 30 fps so went for PC. Runs beautifully in 1440p, but doesn't support 21:9.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

PS4 seems like the best version in a way as you get 3 VR missions and also Ace Combat 4 remaster which looks like it won't be sold separately.

But I've only got a base Ps4 and it runs at an unstable framerate at around 30 fps so went for PC. Runs beautifully in 1440p, but doesn't support 21:9.

Runs good bit better on PS4Pro than the base model.

I'm spending most my time playing the AC5 port. Loved that on the PS2 back in the day. The flight model is actually better than AC7. You don't end up a the silly silly crazy speeds in 5 that you do in 7. 7 feels even more arcadey than in flight model.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can't check now but Xbox gets another AC game but I think both were just for preorders/special editions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

also Ace Combat 4 remaster which looks like it won't be sold separately.

Hang on, what!? Didn't realise they were remastering 4, or that it was available with this. Any word on a 5 remaster? I'd obviously prefer them on the PC, but I'd go out and buy a PS4 today if they were to release them both.

4 and 5 are two of my favourite games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Kiith wrote: »
    Hang on, what!? Didn't realise they were remastering 4, or that it was available with this. Any word on a 5 remaster? I'd obviously prefer them on the PC, but I'd go out and buy a PS4 today if they were to release them both.

4 and 5 are two of my favourite games.

PS4 preorders got a AC5 port.
    Xbox got a AC6 port.

No remasters here. I'd love a remaster of 4,5 and Zero. The Holy Trinity of AC games.

Playing AC5 all week, filling up all the kill rates to get all 57 odd planes.

Was there a 4 port? They'll have to release them again, right?

Too late to pre-order it now, but i'd pay good money to play them both (6 not so much).

Varik wrote: »
    Can't check now but Xbox gets another AC game but I think both were just for preorders/special editions.

Xbox gets AC6 but it's on Backwards compatibility.

AC5 on PS4 looks like it won't be released outside of the preorder bonus.

You can still get it as the digital version comes with AC5 up until mid February.

Kiith wrote: »
    Was there a 4 port? They'll have to release them again, right?

Too late to pre-order it now, but i'd pay good money to play them both (6 not so much).

I meant AC5 in my original post, sorry. No AC4 port.

Ah ok, i actually preferred 5, but still love 4. Can't beat that music during the Megalith raid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

How do the AC games actually play?

Growing up I always loved the idea of a combat-orientated flight sim but the reality has never really lived up to expectations. I still have nightmares seeing the Falcon 4.0 manual and watching my cousin try and take off, then F-22 Lightning 3 came out and I thought it was pretty cool - the combat was ace and the nuke gimmick was fun initially - but the flying bits in between were super boring. Crimson Skies ramped things up further but it was the idea of flying modern jets that I wanted. Fast forward to the 360 and while I had an absolute blast with After Burner Climax, I wanted something a little meatier. Then H.A.W.X came along and after trying the demo it they seemed to have simplified things to such an extent that they were as boring as F22.

I do have Ace Combat: Assault Horizon on the PC though and outside of a strong desire to Press X for Simple Minds, is that a decent place to try again?

Advertisement