Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Ace Combat AH was just horrible IMO, I don't consider it part of the AC franchise at all, especially with that on rails dogfight mode they put in it. Just woeful.

Would love the full Japanese version of AC 3 in English, not the cut down version we got in 1999. It's very different but would love to see the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Play a lot of War thunder for prop planes, but I don't play jets at all there except for the early WW2 German ones occasionally. They've no modern ones just up to initial super sonic jets which I don't play at all.

Might give AC a go as I've VR, a Pro, and PS4 flight stick.

Not sure if I'll wait a bit, the bonuses are until 18/2/2019 none of which I care too much about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »
    How do the AC games actually play?

Growing up I always loved the idea of a combat-orientated flight sim but the reality has never really lived up to expectations. I still have nightmares seeing the Falcon 4.0 manual and watching my cousin try and take off, then F-22 Lightning 3 came out and I thought it was pretty cool - the combat was ace and the nuke gimmick was fun initially - but the flying bits in between were super boring. Crimson Skies ramped things up further but it was the idea of flying modern jets that I wanted. Fast forward to the 360 and while I had an absolute blast with After Burner Climax, I wanted something a little meatier. Then H.A.W.X came along and after trying the demo it they seemed to have simplified things to such an extent that they were as boring as F22.

I do have Ace Combat: Assault Horizon on the PC though and outside of a strong desire to Press X for Simple Minds, is that a decent place to try again?

Don't bother with Assault Horizon.

The AC games are usually more arcady flight sims. You have two control schemes in AC7. One where pressing left or right turns you left or right and a second which is more realistic where left and right rolls and you pitch to turn. So choose whatever fits for you. It's a very simple flight model that's more about making it fun and exhilarating while also giving the player a lot of room to do some advanced techniques. If you want something like crimsons skies go with simple controls and the more realistic ones for a bit of a challenge.

I think you'll enjoy AC7
    Ace Combat AH was just horrible IMO, I don't consider it part of the AC franchise at all, especially with that on rails dogfight mode they put in it. Just woeful.

Would love the full Japanese version of AC 3 in English, not the cut down version we got in 1999. It's very different but would love to see the hype.

AC3 has a fan translation if that's any use to you.

Thinking there today about the next gen consoles, what are the chances they do away with the 3.5mm jacks and replace it with USB C for both. More and More mobile devices are coming out with only USB C now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I wouldn't imagine they'll switch over to USB C myself. The reason that's happening on mobile devices is purely a space consideration - with room inside smartphones increasingly at a premium as they continue to improve in specs and terms of hardwire, the headphone jack was sacrificed. I don't ever see space inside a controller being as important an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I mean it's possible. Both controllers already have an on-board DAC so they could ship with a USB-C port on the controller and a cheap dongle for those wishing to stick with 3.5mm. This allows them to avoid the absolute mess that is the audio over USB-C implementation currently plaguing mobiles.

As super_furry said though, is there an actual need or desire for it?

gizmo wrote: »
    I mean it's possible. Both controllers already have an on-board DAC so they could ship with a USB-C port on the controller and a cheap dongle for those wishing to stick with 3.5mm. This allows them to avoid the absolute mess that is the audio over USB-C implementation currently plaguing mobiles.

As super_furry said though, is there an actual need or desire for it?

My point would be, do they remain with Micro USB or move to USB C and if they do then is there a point in having an additional audio connection when C could be used for both.

On the 4 pole (stereo + mic) Sony changed to the Apple standard for the PS4 while the vita and their older phones used the other standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Picked up assassin's creed odyssey this week.

1st things 1st its not a assassin's creed game of old it's a complate new take of the game and added a lot more into it for the better and it just fells amazing and looks amazing in 4k HDR as well on the Xbox one X.

I did pick up origins last week played it for a few hours and went meh.

I think odyssey because the world is more like black flag with loads of islands and shop battles and then fact I ALLways had a soft spot for greese since god of war....

Hands down 9.5/10 but some how I have a soft spot for ubisoft open world game and rate them a lot more then a rockstar open world game!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Very much enjoying Ace Combat 7. Had to look up how to use countermeasures though which is a bit of an oversight to leave out of the tutorials unless I missed it. Having more fun with the game than Resi 2 so will keep playing it before I go back to a scenario B run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Picked up assassin's creed odyssey this week.

1st things 1st its not a assassin's creed game of old it's a complate new take of the game and added a lot more into it for the better and it just fells amazing and looks amazing in 4k HDR as well on the Xbox one X.

I did pick up origins last week played it for a few hours and went meh.

I think odyssey because the world is more like black flag with loads of islands and shop battles and then fact I ALLways had a soft spot for greese since god of war....

Hands down 9.5/10 but some how I have a soft spot for ubisoft open world game and rate them a lot more then a rockstar open world game!!!

Funny you should say that, because the devs started off with the black flag map and repurposed it for Odyssey :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I saw a game called Punch Club on PS4 today for 3 euro. It looks absolutely class and I can't figure out why I never heard of it before. Has anyone played it? Seems like Punch Club 2 is out this year and fixes the complaints from the 1st game but I'm still very tempted to get it for 3 quid. Any Boards reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I saw a game called Punch Club on PS4 today for 3 euro. It looks absolutely class and I can't figure out why I never heard of it before. Has anyone played it? Seems like Punch Club 2 is out this year and fixes the complaints from the 1st game but I'm still very tempted to get it for 3 quid. Any Boards reviews?

I got it in a Humble Bundle a couple of years back. Never played it on my android phone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I got it in a Humble Bundle a couple of years back. Never played it on my android phone

Might actually suit mobile gaming better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I started playing Dirt Rally 2.0 last night. Career mode is extremely difficult. I haven't a hope in hell of winning a rally in career mode. It will be a big big task even to score a single point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I played Dirt Rally quite a bit and although I made it to the highest/elite career (which I was hopeless at) it was a rare occassion where I won a stage on any of the difficulties. Tough games for sure, a lot of the time my rivals got punctures or gearbox problems which enabled me to finish top 3.

I was really looking forward to 2.0, but they managed to mess up the FFB for wheels. I'm hoping they fix it.
    Personally I'd far rather have the good FFB again and disregard the track degradation stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Also started dirt Rally 2.0 at the weekend, spent a few hours properly setting up my wheel to a point where i felt I was happy with it, and my performance is after improving somewhat to the point where I'm in and around the top 5, Much like the first one however, its very unforgiving, one mistake and you're properly messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sonic the Hedgehog from his new movie.

https://i.redd.it/pb6hke7f47k21.jpg

What an unholy creation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

J. Marston wrote: »
    Sonic the Hedgehog from his new movie.

https://i.redd.it/pb6hke7f47k21.jpg

What an unholy creation.

Ah, that has to be a piss-take. That is terrible looking...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah, that has to be a piss-take. That is terrible looking...

Nope, looks legit according to this site...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It looks like they reimagined Sonic as Ian Watkins...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

First picture of tails has also been released

a3a0ba94450e069bb389a8c27e77074e.jpg

shamelessly stolen from twitter.

I can't wait to get ****ed up and watch this trainwreck.

Really looking forward to Sekiro at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Paradox have been teasing something for a few weeks, that's increasingly looking like it could be a new Vampire: The Masquerade game. Said teasing has largely come from an ARG delivered by fake dating app, Tender. Apparently there'll be a big announcement for whatever it is on Thursday...

Loved bloodlines, the haunted hotel & hospital, and the park. Game doesn't hold up well, feals janky as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Anyone else excited for the game Outward? Its supposed to be released on the 26th I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Varik wrote: »
    Loved bloodlines, the haunted hotel & hospital, and the park. Game doesn't hold up well, feals janky as hell.

For all its faults its probably my favourite RPG. Paradox and White Wolf will make a complete balls of a follow up because they're both terrified of this setting offending the outrage mob. Vampire: The Intersection here we come

• I'm picking up a PSVR this week, finally.

It looks like it's finally starting to look like a worthy purchase. I see alot of people raving about astrobot
    Has anyone any experience with it and also setting it up for use with apps on on PC?

• Advertisement

I'm picking up a PSVR this week, finally.

It looks like it's finally starting to look like a worthy purchase. I see alot of people raving about astrobot

I'd love to play Beat Saber on it. Apparently Superhot is great on it too.
    Has anyone any experience with it and also setting it up for use with apps on on PC?

Huh... didn't even know that was a thing.

Advertisement