Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought that defeated the purpose of them? Thought the click was supposed to be audible to ensure you know you clicked it... But having a quick google, I can see now that's not the case. But I still can't see why, unless you're a professional gamer, membrane wouldn't suit.

It's just a preference thing really, isn't it?

Just feels a hell of a lot better and more comfortable to me. Also helps that I'd do a lot of coding the odd time and it feels so much better. I wouldn't go back to membrane, but then membrane isn't exactly terrible either. Got a decent mouse as well. Not going to turn me into a pro gamer and no intentions of even trying but just nice to have that extra level of comfort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Playing Alien Isolation on the Switch. Really good port, and actually looks better than the other versions, but I'd forgotten I'm such a scaredy cat - that and/or the game really knocks the atmosphere out of the park. The audio design is fantastic and puts you on edge from the get go, while the game really draws out that first encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I thought that defeated the purpose of them? Thought the click was supposed to be audible to ensure you know you clicked it... But having a quick google, I can see now that's not the case. But I still can't see why, unless you're a professional gamer, membrane wouldn't suit.

It's just a preference thing really, isn't it?

It's more the feel of it than the sound.

Anyone pick up the re-release/master of Bayonetta? I was going to but realised I had it on Xbox likely from games with gold and it's backwards compatible and looks and plays fine on One X so kept my money and am replaying it and loving it again.

Pity the others were on Nintendo only :(

Reminds me I also have had Vanquish on my back log for who knows how many years and that got a rerelease today too. I should probably play that next :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Anyone pick up the re-release/master of Bayonetta? I was going to but realised I had it on Xbox likely from games with gold and it's backwards compatible and looks and plays fine on One X so kept my money and am replaying it and loving it again.

Pity the others were on Nintendo only :(

Reminds me I also have had Vanquish on my back log for who knows how many years and that got a rerelease today too. I should probably play that next :o

that was free on gwg not too long ago, and also plays fine on the X too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Has anyone been following Humankind's progress? I've been watching it on and off, but because I haven't played any of the recent Civ games, I'm finding it hard to judge Amplitude's efforts. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 29,678 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Only watched this today and blown away by it. Even if you never played it, this really is worth a watch. Absolutely fascinating inside look at making a game, surprised by how much they showed between the lady almost breaking down about being asked about her family life to the stress behind the e3 reveal. Definitely gonna pick it up again for another playthrough. Every game should come with a doc like this, would make players appreciate it a whole lot more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

pixelburp wrote: »
    Playing Alien Isolation on the Switch. Really good port, and actually looks better than the other versions, but I'd forgotten I'm such a scaredy cat - that and/or the game really knocks the atmosphere out of the park. The audio design is fantastic and puts you on edge from the get go, while the game really draws out that first encounter.

Ah, it's just not the same without the Alien hearing you through your Kinect.......

Needless to say, I turned off that particular option pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ah, it's just not the same without the Alien hearing you through your Kinect.......

Needless to say, I turned off that particular option pretty quick.

Particularly when then wife kept giving my position away... "Do you want a cup of tea?"

ZiabR wrote: »
    Particularly when then wife kept giving my position away... "Do you want a cup of tea?"

Mandatory:
    giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The clickers in The Last of Us are a lovely bunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Decided to crack into Sonic Mania for some unknown reason.

I am officially "Playing Sonic makes me dizzy"-years old

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone else playing Samurai Shodown? Got the switch version and it's easily one of the most fun fighting games I've played in a long time. Prefer it way more than Mortal Kombat and the latest Capcom games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Anyone else playing Samurai Shodown? Got the switch version and it's easily one of the most fun fighting games I've played in a long time. Prefer it way more than Mortal Kombat and the latest Capcom games.

Is that the one that people got free with Stadia Pro one month?
    Couldn't get my head around it at all :(

Probably.

Not that hard to understand. It's like street fighter but more emphasis on big hits rather than combos. Slap them before they slap you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Probably.

Not that hard to understand. It's like street fighter but more emphasis on big hits rather than combos. Slap them before they slap you.

Might give it another go, what's the harm? :)
    I liked that art style, just the move set seemed to be obnoxious to learn.

Maybe I'm just getting too old! Bring back forward, forward, punch :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Might give it another go, what's the harm? :)
    I liked that art style, just the move set seemed to be obnoxious to learn.

Maybe I'm just getting too old! Bring back forward, forward, punch :D

The movesets are small enough but there are some more difficult characters to learn, easy ones as well.

However it is a SNK game, the level of execution is a good bit higher than a standard Street Fighter, and definitely higher than Mortal Kombat which is very simplified.

It's one of the simpler SNK games, I can't even complete the tutorials in their King of Fighters series!

Might be worth looking at then.

Fighting games have gotten incredibly technical; you need to spend a lot of time learning the mechanics before you can properly get into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Fighting games have gotten incredibly technical; you need to spend a lot of time learning the mechanics before you can properly get into the game.

And just like Soccer games, they're not really fun for the vast majority of casual gamers anymore. Soccer games in particular, unless you know all the tricks and skills, you're screwed.

• Advertisement

Fifa was never fun.

No sports games fan but Fifa for me was always dire and just no fun at all. Whereas I recognise games like iss deluxe, sensible soccer etc as being fun to play.

Speaking of which the captain tsubasa game about to be released looks way more fun than it has any right to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Fifa was never fun.

No sports games fan but Fifa for me was always dire and just no fun at all. Whereas I recognise games like iss deluxe, sensible soccer etc as being fun to play.

Sorry, I assumed Fifa was alright at the beginning. Never really played them. Like yourself, soccer games had no appeal to me after ISS Deluxe. I think I might have been mixing ISS Pro up with Fifa.

And while Rise of New Champions does look like crazy Japanese soccer fun, it'll never be as fun as Dead Ball Zone, which badly needs a modern remake! Sunk so much time into that game...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Fifa was never fun.
    I found playing local multiplayer FIFA in the 90s great fun. Especially against my friend who took it way too seriously because he was "good at football" IRL.

"You can't keep mashing triangle and beating my defence!" Yeah, well, check the score Mark, it appears to be working for me.

Found lots of multiplayer games fun in the 90s that weren't. Hell I even found Mortal Kombat games fun. I did play a bit of Fifa back then but the fun is mostly the banter on the couch. Fifa was soon relegated for ISS Deluxe and Sensible soccer because they were actually fun.

Although there was some fun to be had running away from the ref in the first fifa.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven't played a multiplayer game in years at this stage. Too competitive, too intense and just too unfriendly, full of those who take a fun hobby far far too seriously. Last multiplayer I played with any great regularity was TF2 and Starcraft2; the former maintained a broadly fair sense of fun & friendliness to be fair, but the latter became poison.

And said it already before, but the death of Sports Games was graphical fidelity & the sudden desire / marketing need for "realism" in the sports games, rather than "fun".

To change the discussion to an actual fun game.

Since I had the PS4 set up for the FF7 demo I decided to try and game I've had on it for ages. Deception IV: Nightmare Princess.

Talk about a hidden gem. There's no talk or hype around this game but it's insanely fun. It's not a new concept, the series has been around since the PS1 days and had a fantastic entry on the PS2 with Trapt but I forgot how much fun these games were.

Anyway all you do in this game is set up traps and lead AI enemies into them. Sounds basic but the real fun is setting up sequences of traps to create elaborate and ridiculous trap combos. Setting up a bear trap that traps a player to be hit by a giant axe that launches them into a space where a giant pumpkin falls on their head to blind them so they stumble into a giant grinding machine. It's just insanely good fun. It even has a garden rake trap.

So if you see this game I highly recommend picking it up. It has a ridiculous sadistic streak that just makes the game hilarious and fun. It was originally released as blood ties but the one to pick up is Deception IV Nightmare Princess as it has expanded content.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

pixelburp wrote: »
    I haven't played a multiplayer game in years at this stage. Too competitive, too intense and just too unfriendly, full of those who take a fun hobby far far too seriously..

And said it already before, but the death of Sports Games was graphical fidelity & the sudden desire / marketing need for "realism" in the sports games, rather than "fun".

I wish they had a proper ranking system with online gaming tied to your PSN account so that you only ever play against people close to your level, or at least tried harder to keep a roughly even field. This whole notion of get good is not good enough as so many people don't have the time to "get good". Yes, the majority will probably continue to play until there good enough but a minority (which is a huge number) will just move on to another game.

I completely agree with sports games, their too focused on accuracy and realism rather than fun. I've tried to get into PS4 Pro evo's and Fifa's but cant, ISS Pro Evolution on the PS1 will always be my favourite sports game.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I was actually surprised at how well I was able to do in MK11 online, given that I normally avoid online in games like that due to getting crushed by people who study frame data, breakers, zoning and the like. Was getting slightly more wins than losses, but wasn't getting demolished in fights either.

That said, I was pretty much just spamming one or two combos I learned as Shao Kahn. No tactics other than "hope". But yeah, some other games just get crushed in, especially if you're late going into online modes. Injustice I got absolutely and laughably destroyed in any match I tried play online, and a lot of racing/sports games, just not worth it online for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Nintendo World Cup was fun
    To change the discussion to an actual fun game.

Since I had the PS4 set up for the FF7 demo I decided to try and game I've had on it for ages. Deception IV: Nightmare Princess.

Talk about a hidden gem. There's no talk or hype around this game but it's insanely fun. It's not a new concept, the series has been around since the PS1 days and had a fantastic entry on the PS2 with Trapt but I forgot how much fun these games were.

Anyway all you do in this game is set up traps and lead AI enemies into them. Sounds basic but the real fun is setting up sequences of traps to create elaborate and ridiculous trap combos. Setting up a bear trap that traps a player to be hit by a giant axe that launches them into a space where a giant pumpkin falls on their head to blind them so they stumble into a giant grinding machine. It's just insanely good fun. It even has a garden rake trap.

So if you see this game I highly recommend picking it up. It has a ridiculous sadistic streak that just makes the game hilarious and fun. It was originally released as blood ties but the one to pick up is Deception IV Nightmare Princess as it has expanded content.

I remember seeing this in Gamestop one day and since never heard about it before, I googled it. Looks fun but also looks like something that could overstay its welcome.
    Does remind me of Spy vs Spy, I think it was, where you set traps for your opponent

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Nintendo World Cup was fun

I remember seeing this in Gamestop one day and since never heard about it before, I googled it. Looks fun but also looks like something that could overstay its welcome.
    Does remind me of Spy vs Spy, I think it was, where you set traps for your opponent

Its a 12 hour game apparently like previous games but loads.of replayability with setting up high scoring combos. Still having a blast with it anyway!

Advertisement