Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

FIFA is one of my favourite RPG's :D My friends and I have various manager modes on the go for the last 5 years.

There's the "take a bottom of the ladder in the lowest league and give them a £50m injection and go win the Champions League" standard model (last performed with Wexford Youths and some dodgy Mick Wallace and NAMA funding). Only allowing yourself to play academy players and so on, great craic.

Then there's Spite Mode where one person picks a club to manage (anyone of their choice) and everyone else plays their league or cup competition. Some days you're Spurs, other days you're Accrington Stanley, but the "host" manager is always their team. The "guests'" objective, is, of course, to get them sacked and/or injure the star they spent 100m buying :D

If you indulge in that Ultimate Team nonsense, you're only going to get frustrated I think.

Shiminay wrote: »
    FIFA is one of my favourite RPG's :D My friends and I have various manager modes on the go for the last 5 years.

There's the "take a bottom of the ladder in the lowest league and give them a £50m injection and go win the Champions League" standard model (last performed with Wexford Youths and some dodgy Mick Wallace and NAMA funding). Only allowing yourself to play academy players and so on, great craic.

Then there's Spite Mode where one person picks a club to manage (anyone of their choice) and everyone else plays their league or cup competition. Some days you're Spurs, other days you're Accrington Stanley, but the "host" manager is always their team. The "guests'" objective, is, of course, to get them sacked and/or injure the star they spent 100m buying :D

If you indulge in that Ultimate Team nonsense, you're only going to get frustrated I think.

"Accrington Stanley, who are they?"

Exactly!

zhrt1w.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Shiminay wrote: »

I listen to a RPG podcast with Kat Bailey. She loves RPGs but she also loves sports games as thinks of them as RPGs with a sports battle system.

They're great cause they're so flexible that way. As long as you're not playing against someone who's just WAY better than you, it's almost always fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just can't get into them. The core gameplay is just anti-fun to me. I think realistic soccer just doesn't translate into fun gameplay unlike something like Ice Hockey or Basketball. It needs to be looser like ISS Deluxe or Sensi. (I'd like to also say American Football but going by the newer games I don't find Madden as fun as it used to be).

Yea, I don't fault your logic really, but I guess I've been playing FIFA for so long that I've come to grips with some of its foibles and behaviours, so it's less of a concern. Haven't bought the last 2 versions mind you cause they just keep focussing on Ultimate Team which I simply have no interest in and they make no real improvements to manager mode. With all the nastiness going down between EA and the "community" of competitive people too, it seems to be all a bit too much nonsense to be giving any serious thought to the 21 edition that'll appear this year either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Pro Evolution 4 was the peak. I don't think I've ever played one as much since.

So Deception IV has gone from a game I thought I'd enjoy to the most fun I've had with a game since Ace Combat 7.

Just having a blast setting up insanely stupid traps. There's some really nice touches like the three demons giving you specific optional options during stages that give you an incentive to be creative with your traps instead of falling back on ones you know work.

There is a story, not sure what it is. It's just an excuse to send more idiots after you into your elaborate death traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So Deception IV has gone from a game I thought I'd enjoy to the most fun I've had with a game since Ace Combat 7.

Just having a blast setting up insanely stupid traps. There's some really nice touches like the three demons giving you specific optional options during stages that give you an incentive to be creative with your traps instead of falling back on ones you know work.

There is a story, not sure what it is. It's just an excuse to send more idiots after you into your elaborate death traps.

Sounds a bit like Lemmings?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Pro Evolution 4 was the peak. I don't think I've ever played one as much since.

6 was for me...

4 and 5 were very good but i think 6 was the first year most of my mates had it so had better memories of tournaments and that on it with them

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Sounds a bit like Lemmings?

No very different game. There's really nothing else like it outside of the deception series. You're creating traps rather than saving people.

I think the closest might be the incredible machine games???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

No very different game. There's really nothing else like it outside of the deception series. You're creating traps rather than saving people.

Anything like Orcs Must Die?

MOH wrote: »
    Anything like Orcs Must Die?

Actually yeah it's a bit like that. But I think it's way better. It's not really a defense game. The enemies are after you. Also there's plenty of sub objectives to create really stylize trap combos and you can even capture enemies on low health to get extra exp to spend on more traps. Some will try to escape on low health as well which makes it more interesting.

It's more about creating combinations of traps rather than just defending an area like a tower defense and you've no direct method of attack, just traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Deception IV: Nightmare Princess.

It sounded familiar so I googled, and the first game was the more familiar 'Devils Deception' in the EU. Remember playing that and thinking it was fun, but my brain back then was into action and button mashing so it didn't last long for me.

But did remind me of another game around then that needs to be brought out again. Kurushi! Loved that game. Pretty sure I completed it all back in the day.

And Devil Dice! Why are all these memories coming back now...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So did I miss something with all these subforums suddenly appearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

CastorTroy wrote: »

What sub forums?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

CastorTroy wrote: »

There was a cleanup of the sub forums, as there were a few that didn't really have the traffic to warrant their own forum. They've been merged into the main forums now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Does anyone know if I can switch my CEX credit into cash?
    I'm after trading in stuff at the weekend & think I've made a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

probably not, they tend to offer more credit than cash on trades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Pretty sure they don't allow that, at least not directly. And if they do you will get less cash than your credit back.

Here's an idea, though; Ask about their returns policy. If they allow cash returns even if something is working you could buy an item of closest value to how much credit you have, then return it saying you just found out your girlfriend (or whatever) already bought it. Perhaps they'll allow it returned if the item doesn't even leave the store. Normally you'd not need such messing around but CEX are pretty strict about their policies so it might be the only way. Everytime I'm in there I see some old couple asking why they got swindled on some kind of trade and the workers look a little more dead every time they have to turn them away.

Another option is if you have anyone you know who is going to CEX anyway you could ask them to do you a solid and trade their cash for your store credit. If they're already buying something it's no loss but it's also no gain hence why it'll rely on friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Was there a thread in general gaming earlier for the new COD battle royale? Can't seem to find it and not moved to COD forum either. Wouldn't mind seeing some feedback before giving it a download.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think it was just a post in the news thread about it. Looks interesting, at least it is free so no harm giving it a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think it was just a post in the news thread about it. Looks interesting, at least it is free so no harm giving it a blast.

Ah sound, i thought it had it's own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Was there a thread in general gaming earlier for the new COD battle royale? Can't seem to find it and not moved to COD forum either. Wouldn't mind seeing some feedback before giving it a download.

Chatting about it here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057873614&page=66

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

College and work off for the foreseeable future so decided to play some games. Nothing to play so tried PS Now's free trial. My eyes lit up when I saw the MGSHD Collection is on there.

After 10 minutes I realise the button presses on the PS4 controller don't support pressure sensitive controls so you can't interrogate/CQC at all. It's a small thing but something I really enjoyed from the games and now I don't really want to play it.

Will try Control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

J. Marston wrote: »

Will try Control.
    Thats a great game...play with headphones if thats an option :)

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

J. Marston wrote: »
    College and work off for the foreseeable future so decided to play some games. Nothing to play so tried PS Now's free trial. My eyes lit up when I saw the MGSHD Collection is on there.

After 10 minutes I realise the button presses on the PS4 controller don't support pressure sensitive controls so you can't interrogate/CQC at all. It's a small thing but something I really enjoyed from the games and now I don't really want to play it.

Will try Control.

Can you remap to the shoulder buttons? L1, L2, R1 and R2 are still pressure sensitive.

But yeah, play Control. It's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Looked at the gameplay video of this and I honestly missed it when it was released....looks like good fun and siomething different but what is it about Japanese games where the women are hyper sexualised and look very very young.

I've seen some weird japanese games in my steam discovey queue.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Never heard of that game either. Looks absolutely mental! Wish it was available on PC, only getting PS4 results? Reminded me how that dude died in the end of the movie Con Air. I remember me and my sis could not stop f'ing laughing at this :D

And yeah Japan likes youth (age of consent is 13). But as long as we're having fun shooting people in the head in every FPS or eating humans in Fallout then it's pretty whatevs to me.

Advertisement