Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I don't mind if the combat is turned based or real-time. The only 'problem' with turn based is the enemies are often just big square hitboxes with stats. This can happen in real-time combat games too though. I really like Dragon's Dogma because enemies actually have critical points (instead of crits just being a % chance). It had a great mix of RPG stats and elements but you could also roll between a large enemy's legs and shoot their eye out with an arrow. You could even pick up enemies and throw them off cliffs or into water which made them more susceptible to certain elements. You could also throw oil, miss your target and end up hitting an ally making them more vulnerable to fire. This kind of dynamic is usually missing from static RPGs where enemies are just a big box with a model sitting inside it.

Anyone played The Messenger? Caught my eye on game pass and looks to me my kind of thing and something I'm in the mood for. Just wondering if it's worth my time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Anyone played The Messenger? Caught my eye on game pass and looks to me my kind of thing and something I'm in the mood for. Just wondering if it's worth my time?

Couldn't get into it on switch but will go back again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah tried getting into it also, was thinking of buying it for months, then realised i already had it, got it for free via twitch apparently.

But eh, wasnt fun enough to keep playing it, very basic, its possible it opens up later but I just wasnt feeling it. I found the likes of Dead cells and Hollow knight a lot better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

nix wrote: »
    Yeah tried getting into it also, was thinking of buying it for months, then realised i already had it, got it for free via twitch apparently.

But eh, wasnt fun enough to keep playing it, very basic, its possible it opens up later but I just wasnt feeling it. I found the likes of Dead cells and Hollow knight a lot better.

I bought it the other day, on the basis that there's a point where the game opens up, conceptually and literally. So far yeah, it's very basic stuff, but it's passingly fun too so can't object too much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I liked The Messenger quite a bit. It does have a pretty significant gameplay shift after a few hours - doesn’t completely nail the balancing act it tries but it comes very close. It’s not the very top tier of recent 2D platformers - I’d recommend Celeste or Hollow Knight over it - but it’s plenty fun and is nicely focused.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sigh. I see Holly Knight, and I see the near endless praise for it but ...eh? I dunno, it's all bugs, man. Yuck :D

• Picked up Binary Domain in the Steam Sale for 4 euro.
    Played it years ago on Xbox 360. Hidden Gem!

Ah I'd for gotten Hollow Knight, thats on game pass too. No excuse for me now not to give it a go and see what the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I'd recommend Bloodstained: Ritual of the night as well, though it's not on gamepass. It's a follow up to Castlevania Symphony of the Night and a very good one.
    PC version can be got for around €30 and it's well worth it imo.

I have downloaded Hollow Knight through game pass and I'll give that a go after I finish off a couple of other games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Picked up Binary Domain in the Steam Sale for 4 euro.
    Played it years ago on Xbox 360. Hidden Gem!

Played it on the 360 after a 'hidden gem' recommendation I saw somewhere else years ago, really an excellent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SomeSayKos wrote: »

I'd still rather trust angry **** over scummy corporations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The ideal scenario is trusting someone who isn't just telling you what you want to hear so they can make money off you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Thankfully those aren’t the only two options available to us :pac:

I'm no CNET fan, but the article is accurate in how it portrays those youtubers for the pathetic human beings that they are

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Thankfully those aren’t the only two options available to us :pac:

We have scummy glorified blogs too.

At least until their parent companies pull their life support :D

The hit pieces are all on chaps who worked hard to make a name for themselves and manage to gather huge audiences without multi-million dollar corporations backing the narrative. The authors of these kind of hit pieces are often mad and jealous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Maybe I'm just getting old but Jesus, I think all those YouTube lads are insufferable pricks.

I find YongYea to be one of the chillest dudes and seems to genuinely love games. That squeaky-voiced pale mess of soy yapping at him is quite insufferable though.

Hahaha, oh god, I can't take seriously anyone who uses "soy" as a legitimate pejorative. Nothing sadder than coopting the angsty language of a petulant American sub culture.

YouTube is a cesspit of gimmick content creators. I'm sure many are legit and honest, but many aren't. Frankly I find the whole sub culture tone deaf and a complete echo chamber. New Media writ large.

Soy? Ah lad, it's far from soy we were raised. Can we lose the language of Yankee outage merchants on here?

I Jason Schreier is an industry treasure. Excellent journalistic integrity imo.

But can he make 16 YouTube videos about one tweet? I think not... Loser!

Schreier once asked twitter what people felt was the biggest ethical issue in game's journalism via twitter. The overwhelming majority responded with publisher/journo relationships and NDAs, something Kotaku was having and continues to have trouble with. His response? It must be review scores that everyone hates, that's the problem! Of course, the site he writes for doesn't even have review scores. Complete denial or a pathological liar who knows

The way him and his cronies get hurt by seeing other outlets' staff enjoying and getting excited for games is sorta sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I'm no CNET fan, but the article is accurate in how it portrays those youtubers for the pathetic human beings that they are

Boogie2988, the most Milquetoast personality on youtube, is an outrage merchant, gerrup orra dat Cynthia

Bambi wrote: »
    Boogie2988, the most Milquetoast personality on youtube, is an outrage merchant, gerrup orra dat Cynthia

I dislike all outrage merchants, regardless of how milquetoast they are or whatever their political leanings are. I think people who solely make negative videos all the time and foster toxic communities need to get in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Bambi wrote: »

Haven't watch one of his videos in a long while.

The amount of weight he's lost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement