Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think Mass Effect is way over rated as well :pac: Its grand sure but the wat people got worked up over the generic fantasy storyline with a sci fi skin I found a bit silly. I enjoyed it but didn't love it like much better western RPGs where you choices had actual consequences and it was much more satisfying taking different approaches to scenarios.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I recently tried to replay Andromeda, and only got an hour or so in before i gave up. Enjoyed it for the most part on launch, but it's nowhere near as good as the previous games. Definitely their worst game in a while (at least till Anthem). I'll still give them a few more changes, with DA:Inquisition 2 and whatever they have planned for ME in the future.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think Mass Effect is way over rated as well :pac: Its grand sure but the wat people got worked up over the generic fantasy storyline with a sci fi skin I found a bit silly. I enjoyed it but didn't love it like much better western RPGs where you choices had actual consequences and it was much more satisfying taking different approaches to scenarios.

For me, it was an enjoyable sci-fi opera, with some really interesting companions. Generic enough, but done really well with some good gameplay (after the 1st game). Liara, Garrus, Wrex, Mordin, Grunt...pretty much the entire non-human cast, were excellent, and really tied the game together for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The original Trilogy, even with that ending, were still miles ahead of Andromeda. Like others, I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. I had no interest in the characters or the story, and felt I was just plodding along finishing mission after mission with no effect on me.

Unlike the trilogy, which may be a bit dated today, but they were amazing on release (2 and 3 anyway, I didn't get 1 on release). And you'll never hear people talk about the emotional impact of Andromeda, but everyone has some kind of emotional story from the trilogy. I loved the fact that most people were emotional over Mordin, but I got most emotional over Legion. And that's what I loved about it. Some people didn't get these scene with Legion because of other choices. I didn't feel any of that in Andromeda.

I would give them €100 for the trilogy remastered in modern graphics easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The original Trilogy, even with that ending, were still miles ahead of Andromeda. Like others, I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. I had no interest in the characters or the story, and felt I was just plodding along finishing mission after mission with no effect on me.

Unlike the trilogy, which may be a bit dated today, but they were amazing on release (2 and 3 anyway, I didn't get 1 on release). And you'll never hear people talk about the emotional impact of Andromeda, but everyone has some kind of emotional story from the trilogy. I loved the fact that most people were emotional over Mordin, but I got most emotional over Legion. And that's what I loved about it. Some people didn't get these scene with Legion because of other choices. I didn't feel any of that in Andromeda.

I would give them €100 for the trilogy remastered in modern graphics easily.

I played the entire trilogy at the end of the PS3-360 life cycle and they were grand. 2 is very good but 1 and 3 are kind of shyte tbh. I wouldn't be bothered ploughing through them again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kiith wrote: »
    For me, it was an enjoyable sci-fi opera, with some really interesting companions. Generic enough, but done really well with some good gameplay (after the 1st game). Liara, Garrus, Wrex, Mordin, Grunt...pretty much the entire non-human cast, were excellent, and really tied the game together for me.

Yeah that's a good summary. Generic but done well. Just wasn't as exceptional as say the Black Isle games or Deus Ex.

I think I enjoyed mass effect 3 a lot more because I wasn't invested in the series. It was a good fun game with good gameplay and I enjoyed it even if the ending was garbage. One thing that really annoyed me was the final piece of DLC came out after I had finished the game off and I heard it was really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Wreckfest is coming to PS4 on August 27th. Yurt! I've been waiting for this, following it's progress on Steam since it was 'Next Car Game'. Like others, I would devour a remake of DD2, but this will suffice!

I hope it has cross play as the PC servers have gotten a bit quiet at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Each to their own, it's a game at the end of the day, it didn't kill your dog.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,201 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My dog choked on a copy of Mass Effect 3 an angry fan had hurled out the window in a fit of rage during the end credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm not gonna rag on ya too hard - but that's a weak non-argument.
    It's not a great game, and technology/animation/art/story wise, it's objectively worse than ME3.

If you like it - fine, I can't dictate what you enjoy.
    But Andromeda is not better than ME3.

I just liked that it was so vast. I was a fan of DA Inquisition so I warmed to it. It's not a bad game by any means. Gamers are very entitled bunch. Would you go and "give 2 middle fingers" to a chef who because you didn't like his sauce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Correct me if I'm wrong but K.O.Kiki seemed to suggest he felt it was more like they took a shyte on his plate rather than the sauce was bad. Personally for any series I just don't play the ones whose quality is worse than a predecessor. I didn't touch Andromeda.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Would you go and "give 2 middle fingers" to a chef who because you didn't like his sauce?

Yes, 100% I would. But I wouldn't eat in places where you're eating the food the chef wants you to eat, rather than what I want to eat. But only if he was a dick when I told him I didn't like it, like that thread in AH where the chef said to the customer something along the lines of 'I take it this is your first experience of fine dining'. I'd give him the 2 middle fingers and a few choice words too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,350 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The more important question is; does EA own the restaurant?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,201 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The chef is BioWare, the sauce is Anthem, and the restaurant is hell itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anthems good food served on a plate of ****e in a restaurant of more ****e.

The Combat part: :cool:

Anthem I can understand 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I know there was a recent discussion about sucky youtubers but i recently watched a Girlfriend Reviews video and it was brilliant, highly recommend it whether you're looking for an actual review (her Spiderman PS4 review was spot on) or since light hearted banter. They just seem like a genuine nice couple who enjoy playing games together. But then, i thought Boogie was a nice chap until Penn made me realise he's basically A slimy ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I know there was a recent discussion about sucky youtubers but i recently watched a Girlfriend Reviews video and it was brilliant, highly recommend it whether you're looking for an actual review (her Spiderman PS4 review was spot on) or since light hearted banter. They just seem like a genuine nice couple who enjoy playing games together. But then, i thought Boogie was a nice chap until Penn made me realise he's basically A slimy ****.

Why is boogie a slimy ****? Not that i watch him, but he seemed alright on a h3 podcast i watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

nix wrote: »
    Why is boogie a slimy ****? Not that i watch him, but he seemed alright on a h3 podcast i watched.

Penn had posted a reddit link recently (huuuge info dump containing previous tweets, social media contents and specific parts of videos )which paint a nasty picture. Summertime going to this much length might be biased against him but shed a whole new light on him in my eyes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SamandTolki/comments/ajzm5h/the_hidden_truth_boogie_doesnt_want_you_to_know/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I enjoy Girlfriend Reviews. Though some are better than others and more meme heavy.
    There is a video where they explained who they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Penn had posted a reddit link recently (huuuge info dump containing previous tweets, social media contents and specific parts of videos )which paint a nasty picture. Summertime going to this much length might be biased against him but shed a whole new light on him in my eyes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SamandTolki/comments/ajzm5h/the_hidden_truth_boogie_doesnt_want_you_to_know/

Against my better judgement i looked at about half that link. By the time i got to that point i felt like a lot of the stuff that was presented as evidence was just interpretation at best,flat out exageration and manipulation to suit an agenda at worst.

So im not really convinced really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

EoinHef wrote: »
    Against my better judgement i looked at about half that link. By the time i got to that point i felt like a lot of the stuff that was presented as evidence was just interpretation at best,flat out exageration and manipulation to suit an agenda at worst.

All these hit pieces tend to be a mix of conjecture and deliberately out of context "evidence"

Says more about the people who lap that stuff up tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 33,350 ✭✭✭✭Penn

EoinHef wrote: »

I fully agree that a lot of that is very biased and the worst interpretations, and that many of those things viewed on their own prove nothing about him at all.

But when viewed as a whole and when you start seeing the patterns in his behaviour, it really shows him up as a huge arsehole. I used to be a fan and went off him. Just got sick of him. Extremely passive aggressive and his own worst enemy. I ignored him for a while before coming across that megathread takedown of him.

There's definitely stuff on it I disagree with, and they bitch about every single tweet and video he makes. But I think there's a lot of truth in what they say of him, some of which I felt myself anyway, and some of which I wasn't aware of before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The entire point of that subreddit is to **** on youtubers and such. no one goes there looking for a balance discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

River City Girls looks slick!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

looks like an old newgrounds game

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    River City Girls looks slick!

Could have done without the music.

Varik wrote: »
    Could have done without the music.

Could have done without the game as well.

Could have done without the game as well.

Good thing you're not being forced to buy it.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Good thing you're not being forced to buy it.

Ah, lighten up...

Advertisement