Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I recognise that "Icebreaker" deal that was mentioned in that. I fell for it with DC Legends. I'm still playing it a year later, although I think I've only put €10 into it since (there's me trying to justify it to myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Maybe I'm just getting old but Jesus, I think all those YouTube lads are insufferable pricks.

Can I also add if your being supported on Patreon by viewers don't put Dollar Shave Club or whatever ads in the middle of your videos. Superbunnyhop did that the other day & I just felt he was having his cake & eating it too.
    I find YongYea to be an outrage junkie. He makes some good content but his channel is depressing.

Other than Kojima stuff your right, I put on a video he did about Pokemon & one of the first things he says he doesn't play them so its obvious he ain't reporting on positives
    He got to move to LA to try pursue a career in voice acting on the back of the support his channel gets. Not sure if I supported him would I feel like that its money well spent. I like to believe those that use Patreon put it towards helping their work not other hobbies or moving to a VERY expensive place to live.
    Maybe people won't agree with me saying that but I dont see it being any different from a developer using a kickstarter to fund more than the development of a single project.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I think people who solely make negative videos all the time and foster toxic communities need to get in the sea.

Know what kills me about a lot of these channels, aside from the usual reactionary ranting? How little talk about actual games there is. Almost as if the games a mere side thought in the endless culture war they’re waging.

When I watch Game Maker’s Toolkit, I get thoughtful, in-depth insights about game design. When I listen to Kotaku or Waypoint podcasts, I get enthusiastic people talking about a whole host of different games (loved hearing the likes of Schreier, Hamilton and Walker having the same wild reaction to Outer Wilds I did over the past few weeks). If I visit Eurogamer or read Edge I’ll see reviews or features for a bunch of different titles, from the smallest to the largest. If I buy the latest issue of Heterotopias (a personal favourite) I get deep, robust criticism and analyses of games. And y’know what: that’s precisely what I want, and what I don’t get from a lot of the foaming-at-the-mouth crowd (and often when they do cover a game it’s so they can weaponise it ideologically).

It’s great that there’s some strong investigative and campaigning journalism happening too in the news space around labour and industry issues, but really I’m all about hearing people just dig in and talk about games that excite them, that annoy them, that interest them. It’s tragic that in all the culture war bull**** that gets lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I dislike all outrage merchants, regardless of how milquetoast they are or whatever their political leanings are. I think people who solely make negative videos all the time and foster toxic communities need to get in the sea.

Have you ever watched a boogie video? I doubt it if you consoder him a rage merchant/toxic.

I dont really watch him but every now and then a topic will come up,recently the epic games store,that i will watch. He made a pretty fair video pointing out the good and bad of the store.

Was called toxic by a bunch of people for even daring to say anything even when his opinions seemed balanced enough to me. Some i agreed with,some i disagreed with.

Try do some research before letting somewhere like CNET spoonfeed you your opinion. Im not saying evryone in the article is not toxic,but i at least like to make my mind up,not have it made up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,350 ✭✭✭✭Penn

EoinHef wrote: »
    Have you ever watched a boogie video? I doubt it if you consoder him a rage merchant/toxic.

I dont really watch him but every now and then a topic will come up,recently the epic games store,that i will watch. He made a pretty fair video pointing out the good and bad of the store.

Was called toxic by a bunch of people for even daring to say anything even when his opinions seemed balanced enough to me. Some i agreed with,some i disagreed with.

Try do some research before letting somewhere like CNET spoonfeed you your opinion. Im not saying evryone in the article is not toxic,but i at least like to make my mind up,not have it made up for me.

Boogie definitely isn't a rage merchant/toxic in his videos. If anything he's permanently on the fence and waits to see how strong the winds are blowing to one side before deciding he'll join that side too. He also doesn't actually play many games, and instead his videos are just based on public opinion he's garnered from his followers and regurgitated.

I used to be a fan of his, but over time I got sick of him and couldn't even really put my finger on why. It was only a few months later I stumbled upon this takedown thread of him on Reddit and a lot of it rang true. It's definitely biased against him, and many of the things highlighted in it (and on that subreddit) by themselves aren't bad. But when viewed as a whole, they paint a damning figure of the guy.

As for the rest, the CNET article is largely right. Even Jim Sterling has said several times that people complain he never does positive videos about the industry, but when he does, they don't even get half the views of the more negative videos he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Boogie himself wasn't portrayed as one of the "angry gaming Youtubers" in the article though. His contribution was instead used for background and more context on the motivations of the principle subjects in the piece, most notably...
    Williams, aka Boogie2988, told me his audience complained to him earlier this year because they'd noticed his news segments were becoming increasingly negative about the games and the companies that make them. So he decided to go a week posting only positive videos about games he liked and what he was playing. The number of views his videos attracted tanked.

"It was one of the worst weeks of views in my life," he said.

Penn wrote: »
    Boogie definitely isn't a rage merchant/toxic in his videos. If anything he's permanently on the fence and waits to see how strong the winds are blowing to one side before deciding he'll join that side too. He also doesn't actually play many games, and instead his videos are just based on public opinion he's garnered from his followers and regurgitated.
    And this particular example is no different. He agreed to take part in the piece, gave what appears to be a rather honest and accurate summation of the situation for it and then, when it was released, hit that big ol' like button for it on Twitter. One could safely assume at this point he didn't really have a problem with it.

Less than a day later, however, he was called out on this by both TheQuartering and another Youtuber in this space. The result? A staggeringly intellectually dishonest video released two weeks later, entitled I Accidently Helped a Youtube Hitpiece Article by Cnet about Angry gamers, where he not only engages in the same misdirection as the other respondents to the piece I outlined in my previous reply to the topic but also goes on to describe the click bait-esque tactics he applies to his own content in order to attract more views and revenue...and then blames Youtube itself for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Theres something odd about boogie since he got his teeth fixed, its like they gave him a set that are a size too big, and I cant get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

(and often when they do cover a game it’s so they can weaponise it ideologically).

Because that's not what your heroes at Kotaku are all about :D

Culture war is over lads, the games journo weirdos on twitter no longer have game makers shaking in their boots that they'll accuse them of toxic whateverness. The weirdos cried wolf too often and are now being thrown to them. Bluff called, spell broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Bambi wrote: »
    Because that's not what your heroes at Kotaku are all about :D

Culture war is over lads, the games journo weirdos on twitter no longer have game makers shaking in their boots that they'll accuse them of toxic whateverness. The weirdos cried wolf too often and are now being thrown to them. Bluff called, spell broken.

Instead they have to contend with hundreds of hours of whiny, bearded lads devoting video after video to giving out about how the feminists are trying to castrate them because a female character was introduced into a games franchise that they don't have the chance to play because they are too busy giving out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Kotaku downplaying domestic terrorist actions. Where's the puke smilie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Instead they have to contend with hundreds of hours of whiny, bearded lads devoting video after video to giving out about how the feminists are trying to castrate them because a female character was introduced into a games franchise that they don't have the chance to play because they are too busy giving out about it.

Y'see that why you lost your culture war, addiction to hyperbole and dishonesty. Only works in the short term, credibility goes out the window after a while :o

Bambi wrote: »
    Y'see that why you lost your culture war, addiction to hyperbole and dishonesty. Only works in the short term, credibility goes out the window after a while :o

It ain't my culture war. I couldn't give a shyte if they eat each other whole... I just want to play some games. The only videos I'm seeing on here, apart from the occasional Jim Sterling rant about micro-transactions, are those godawful Quatering ones that are put up here on a regular basis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The last Jim Sterling video was actually pretty good and serious look at some very disturbing practices from game developers.

I came on here yesterday to post the video. Saw it was already posted. Went to have a look at the discourse and join in and saw we were back to talking about gamergate ****e and that talentless echochamber the Quartering.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This thread really turns to trash at the drop of a hat. Talk of "soys" and "losing" the culture war, Jesus Christ; the speed to adopt the language of American alt-right is kinda sad. As is increasingly is the case, for all the outrage over SJWs infecting their little hobby, it's the outrage bois that seem to make the most noise.

"Hey that's insane how bad the Games Industry is for employees; Kotaku reported tha..."
    "KOTAKU??? WHAT ABOUT ANTIFA!!!!!!!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can we go back to format wars please? All is forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

pixelburp wrote: »
    This thread really turns to trash at the drop of a hat. Talk of "soys" and "losing" the culture war, Jesus Christ; the speed to adopt the language of American alt-right is kinda sad. As is increasingly is the case, for all the outrage over SJWs infecting their little hobby, it's the outrage bois that seem to make the most noise.

"Hey that's insane how bad the Games Industry is for employees; Kotaku reported tha..."
    "KOTAKU??? WHAT ABOUT ANTIFA!!!!!!!"

"I'm not Alt-right or a supporter of them, I just use all their slang, reference their articles and youtubers. Aren't Kotaku a bunch of cucks haha!"

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can we go back to format wars please? All is forgiven.

Said like a true Nintendope...

Sonics2k wrote: »
    "I'm not Alt-right or a supporter of them, I just use all their slang, reference their articles and youtubers. Aren't Kotaku a bunch of cucks haha!"

Occasionally I'll come across a term like 'blue checkmarks' and I'll have to look it up on urban dictionary where it is invariably described along the lines of 'the term is a pejorative, predominantly used by right-wing people...'

I'm not a regressive-leftist or a supporter of them. I just use all their slang, reference their articles and youtubers. Aren't Nichegamer a bunch of sexists haha!"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yer all soy boys*

*I only know soy as in the sauce and not sure if I'm using it right. Apologies if it's very offensive...or not, whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

regressive-leftist

:rolleyes:

Alt-right :rolleyes:

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yer all soy boys*

*I only know soy as in the sauce and not sure if I'm using it right. Apologies if it's very offensive...or not, whatever.

Said like a true soy-boy...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm more a teriyaki man myself.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yer all soy boys*

Nothing worse than an on the fencer. Pick a side you communist Nazi!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I find it hard to believe that a thread about gaming discussion is reminding me how much I despise identity politics.

Alt-right :rolleyes:

To-may-to, To-mah-to, Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to. Let's Call the Whole Thing Off!!!

(Cue outrage videos over LGBT genderqueer lesbian feminists wanting to have safe spaces to use the 'Potahto' pronounciation.)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm more a teriyaki man myself.

Mangina Alert!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Culture war" The self-importance from both sides is funny.

All it amounts to is people on social media being pissy with each other. Some war, lads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kotaku seems to have become gamers' version of TheGuardian; both outlets perform a lot of thorough investigative journalism, but because of a heavy (sometimes clumsy) liberal leaning, with Kotaku folks scream outrage via lazy American pejoratives - rather than, ya know, ignore the obvious clickbait. Everything's a purity test now, including targets of scorn.

Advertisement