Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm gonna make a suggestion here. Can we have a separate thread for the "culture war" and Gamergate stuff, ie: the stuff that doesn't specifically relate to a game, but rather the industry as a whole? Keep this for discussing general games and gaming, rather than the politics that goes with it? I'm getting lost with all these new words, terms, and fake offence that it makes me not want to check out this thread again. Call it 'Gaming Scandels' or some such crap. Make it "soy", whatever that means (when did it change to not mean a food?).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,352 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm gonna make a suggestion here. Can we have a separate thread for the "culture war" and Gamergate stuff, ie: the stuff that doesn't specifically relate to a game, but rather the industry as a whole? Keep this for discussing general games and gaming, rather than the politics that goes with it? I'm getting lost with all these new words, terms, and fake offence that it makes me not want to check out this thread again. Call it 'Gaming Scandels' or some such crap. Make it "soy", whatever that means (when did it change to not mean a food?).

The trouble is these things always start off with some form of news or genuine item of discussion but gets linked spuriously with a political or social agenda which gradually then derails into crap. I'm not sure it can be separated from genuine news/discussion threads because no-one would want to enter the dumpster-fire that would be a Gamergate/culturewar type of thread, so it'll keep getting shoehorned into the main threads regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

icon14.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that a thread about gaming discussion is reminding me how much I despise identity politics.

All the more reason to shoot identity politics in the kneecaps, send it crawling back to college campuses and leave us to play games that aren't being policed by weirdos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Bambi wrote: »
    All the more reason to shoot identity politics in the kneecaps, send it crawling back to college campuses and leave us to play games that aren't being policed by weirdos

All I can think of is Jason Stratham's character in Spy when reading that.

• Advertisement

Well, if the mods are up for it i'm all up for moving any political conversations into it's own thread! Give me the power!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,904 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Occasionally I'll come across a term like 'blue checkmarks' and I'll have to look it up on urban dictionary where it is invariably described along the lines of 'the term is a pejorative, predominantly used by right-wing people...'

I thought blue check mark had something to do with Twitter people who are well known or something :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Regressive left sites get linked all day, corrupt journos get praised as the saviors of the industry, gamers are shat on constantly as toxic and people don't even want to be called gamers because it's bad word that should be spat instead of said. But as soon as there's pushback to this shyte narrative mods need to do something about it.

Not against the thread idea though. I really don't care if there's another thread but man this forum takes bloody ages to get to anything you care about; it's so dated. I have to use bookmarks to make it effecient. I guess it's a bit off topic but anyone else feel the same way about this? Other forums seem way better.
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    I thought blue check mark had something to do with Twitter people who are well known or something
    It used to be an identity verification but since Twitter removed it from users they didn't like it instead became "seal of approval". If you're right of the far-left people find it harder to get the badge of dishonor and so it's synonymous with blue-haired dopes who spend their whole life on twitter and have pronouns in their bio getting offended by everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This thread is just a mess of American outrage buzzwords and conspiratorial ranting. Oh the liberals! The LIBERALS!!1!.

I'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Talking about actual games would be a great thing. Talk about youtube outrage geeks in another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's weird to see sites, Youtubers, journos and game devs laughed about or criticised like they are in a far away land. Stuff like 8chan was being defended on here not too long ago by some, and puke like that was rightly criticised by others. But it's never too far away.

I played Maximum Action on PC yesterday. It's currently in alpha and the folks who made Dusk (recently completed, fantastic shooter) have joined the team.
    Great fun, but currently light on content. Looking forward to seeing what the Dusk dev team do with the concept.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played Maximum Action on PC yesterday. It's currently in alpha and the folks who made Dusk (recently completed, fantastic shooter) have joined the team.
    Great fun, but currently light on content. Looking forward to seeing what the Dusk dev team do with the concept.

Speaking of which, has anyone played Amid Evil? I think some of the Dusk team are involved. It looks like it's to Heretic/Hexen what Dusk is to Quake. Getting great reviews as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also just saw a new Descent is coming out. Loved these games in the 90's but they disappeared for ages. Now with The original descent trilogy rereleased, the Forsaken rerelease, Sublevel Zero, Overload and this it's like we are being spoiled with them.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Speaking of which, has anyone played Amid Evil? I think some of the Dusk team are involved. It looks like it's to Heretic/Hexen what Dusk is to Quake. Getting great reviews as well.

It's in the steam sale also. I nearly pulled the trigger on it. Will wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They should reboot Dead Space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

J. Marston wrote: »
    They should reboot Dead Space.

Loved Dead Space 1 and 2. Great games. Proper horror. Very Resident Evil style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

ZiabR wrote: »
    Loved Dead Space 1 and 2. Great games. Proper horror. Very Resident Evil style.

Dead Space 3 had some proper horror in some of its story DLC. Too short, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

EA wouldn’t take a risk on something like Dead Space now unfortunately. Probably for the best to when you see what they do with established AAA franchises like Mass Effet these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

GRID delayed until October 11th (or 8th if you're getting the Ultimate Edition): https://twitter.com/gridgame/status/1146337491496165377

New gameplay footage was released recently. I like seeing the AI make errors (and thankfully they confirmed that you can turn off the display of those race points)

Havana (ooh-na-na) is a new track too: https://twitter.com/gridgame/status/1144553619930472448

🤪

• Advertisement

Found Dead Space way over rated.

Eurogamer gets shafted for giving the first it 7/10 but I think they are bang on the money. the game never really evolved past it's opening 3 hours and got very samey fast. The only thing outstanding about it was the sound design. It's grand but felt like a poor mans Resi 4 mixed with a poor mans system shock 2. Had some good horror moments but it wasn't particularly scary.

Dead Space 2 then went for more action and replaced the horror with jump scares and gore. Good fun but again never reached the heights of Resi 4.

It wasn't a bad series but I wouldn't be screaming out for a series I find quite forgettable, especially after the Resi 2 Remake is so much better than anything the Dead Space series did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

EA wouldn’t take a risk on something like Dead Space now unfortunately. Probably for the best to when you see what they do with established AAA franchises like Mass Effet these days.

Andromeda was f'n great, I don't get the hate for it. Seems to be internet band wagonning. It's about 700,000 better than ME3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I would literally kill for a good remake/remaster of Demolition Derby. I loved that game so much and just the madness to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I would literally kill for a good remake/remaster of Demolition Derby. I loved that game so much and just the madness to it.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/228380/Wreckfest/

It's not a remake but it's the same idea and I loved Wreckfest

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Andromeda was f'n great, I don't get the hate for it. Seems to be internet band wagonning. It's about 700,000 better than ME3

Mass Effect 3 as a game was great. The dodgy ending just clouded everyone’s impressions of it.

Andromeda was the one thing you could never accuse any other Mass Effect game of being – dull. It was mostly alright to play through but jaysus you had to force yourself. Then there was the way they just cut their loses and abandonned the game, never finishing the planned story DLC or properly supporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It wasn't the ending of ME3 that annoyed me. We were being constantly told that losses on Earth every day are catastrophic but side missions involve travelling the galaxy to fetch a trinket for an Elcor on the Citadel. But if you want the "best ending" you have to do those missions. It takes you out of the plot.

Sonics2k wrote: »

Strange that no-one has done it already. It's basically a battle royale, pump out loads of cosmetics for your car, quick gameplay loop.

It's a microtransaction wet dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

J. Marston wrote: »

Strange that no-one has done it already. It's basically a battle royale, pump out loads of cosmetics for your car, quick gameplay loop.

It's a microtransaction wet dream.

C'mon and we'll go make a Kickstarter, be racking in the cash before EA buys us out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Andromeda is a POS and I will never, ever forgive Bioware/EA for the way they handled it.

It took me 15hrs to realise the game was so bad, it had killed the franchise.
    I stuck with it just out of desire to hope that, somehow, it would redeem itself in the end.
    ~100 hours later - it had not.

It never rose past mediocrity (except for, maybe, the final assault mission).
    Characters were flat, dialog was woeful, animation was stilted, and level design was plain boring.
    I can't even remember half my crew's names, much less their personalities!

The way they introduced the Angara, I thought it had skipped an important mission or 3.

Even the interesting twin-dynamic was completely underutilized.

Compared to ME3?
    ME3 is a rollercoaster - of both emotion (with some of the most impactful lines & deaths in the franchise, if not gaming) and action - so many insane set pieces, tied together with shooting mechanics that possess variety (so many cool gun designs & mods!) and depth (combo attacks which are actually easy to pull off consistently).
    Many prefer ME2, but ME3 is both my most-loved & most-played, by far.

N7 Day, 2017 is when I gave my final salute to ME.
    From now on, all Bioware/EA will be getting from me is 2 middle fingers.

Wreckfest is coming to PS4 on August 27th. Yurt! I've been waiting for this, following it's progress on Steam since it was 'Next Car Game'. Like others, I would devour a remake of DD2, but this will suffice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Andromeda is a POS and I will never, ever forgive Bioware/EA for the way they handled it.

Agreed, I hated the bandwagon hate this got on release for crappy animations and such as it overshadowed the main problem, it was just a really bad game. So boring compared to the trilogy, didn't care about any of the character bar Suri but you had to play as a lesbian to get further convo's out of her. Restarted my game just to go down this path. 'Witcher 3-like' sidequests my hole! I got about half way through each playthrough before giving up.

Bioware/EA, you can redeem yourselves with a Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster!!!

Advertisement