Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

TitianGerm wrote: »
    When you keep dying I'd say it could be ;)

Absolutely but no need to be 'git gud' smarmy about it.

This is my opinion. It's ****e after a while and the souls formula is in burn out for me.

Consoles issues prevent the enjoyment. The input lag is atrocious. I progressed fairly far into it but get bored about 20 hours in.

Might be unpopular thought for some but Sekiro is overrated. I've played much better games this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Absolutely but no need to be 'git gud' smarmy about it.

This is my opinion. It's ****e after a while and the souls formula is in burn out for me.

Consoles issues prevent the enjoyment. The input lag is atrocious. I progressed fairly far into it but get bored about 20 hours in.

Might be unpopular thought for some but Sekiro is overrated. I've played much better games this year.

Not meant to be smarmy. I've found if I'm patient in my attacks and don't rush into anything I very rarely die, especially with the revive mechanic.

Kept trying to dodge the first boss charge attack but quickly realized if I block the first swipe I can take a step back to avoid the next two in the chain. Once I figured that it was plain sailing.

Similar with the Shinobi hunters. Stopped attacking and just used Mikiri to wear down their stamina.

Not meant to be smarmy. I've found if I'm patient in my attacks and don't rush into anything I very rarely die, especially with the revive mechanic.

Kept trying to dodge the first boss charge attack but quickly realized if I block the first swipe I can take a step back to avoid the next two in the chain. Once I figured that it was plain sailing.

Similar with the Shinobi hunters. Stopped attacking and just used Mikiri to wear down their stamina.
    Fair enough and point taken.

My issue is the clear frame pacing issues and inconstant performance.
    Especially when you rotating the camera in quick succession.
    And there have been so many times I'm certain I'm pressing the block or attack buttons but the reaction is delayed dependent of the split second where the dips in performance has happened.

I find From Software are terrible for after release support. They have yet to fix this months later.
    A simple fix to lock the frame-rate to 30 could stabilize it. And this is on the Xbox One X. Digital foundry analysis shows it can jump from 60 - 30 in a short space of time.
    And their games are held on some weird higher pedestal than everyone else and seem to be immune to criticism at times.

Rant over!

Sekiro was definitely a disappointment for me, I played up until I reached the village, can't recall the name of it, and said I'd take a break for a while as I wasn't really enjoying it and never went back.
    I like the soulsborne formula but Sekiro just didn't click at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

And their games are held on some weird higher pedestal than everyone else and seem to be immune to criticism at times.

Fair enough Fred, sorry i was just genuinely interested on what you found repetitive, i played this particular from software on PC so cant relate to the input lag, i have played all others on PS4 but didnt have input lag issues, just the dips in frame rate.

And on the point above, most of the "immune to criticism" points i see are they were too hard and gave up before learning how to play. Which from what i witnessed, happened a lot more with Sekiro since probably Demon souls i predict.

Which is because they "flipped" the combat formula in this game from "sometimes block and mostly attack" to "mostly block to sometimes attack" to simplify it, which i dont think a lot of soulsborne players grasped before they gave up, was nearly one of them meself :)

• Advertisement

nix wrote: »
    Fair enough Fred, sorry i was just genuinely interested on what you found repetitive, i played this particular from software on PC so cant relate to the input lag, i have played all others on PS4 but didnt have input lag issues, just the dips in frame rate.

And on the point above, most of the "immune to criticism" points i see are they were too hard and gave up before learning how to play. Which from what i witnessed, happened a lot more with Sekiro since probably Demon souls i predict.

Which is because they "flipped" the combat formula in this game from "sometimes block and mostly attack" to "mostly block to sometimes attack" to simplify it, which i dont think a lot of soulsborne players grasped before they gave up, was nearly one of them meself :)
    Just to elaborate here I actually prefer the combat system here but timing is critical.
    It's the performance that doesn't stack up to what it's trying to achieve on console.
    I was left stupidly frustrated not because I was making mistakes but because the technical issues in high intensity fights were causing the problems.
    It was more problematic in certain areas of the game as obviously it runs better or worse in certain sections. Again all performance related.
    I'd probably feel much different if I played at a locked 60fps on PC

On a lighter note, the above. The amount of cringe :pac:

Fair enough and point taken.

My issue is the clear frame pacing issues and inconstant performance.
    Especially when you rotating the camera in quick succession.
    And there have been so many times I'm certain I'm pressing the block or attack buttons but the reaction is delayed dependent of the split second where the dips in performance has happened.

I find From Software are terrible for after release support. They have yet to fix this months later.
    A simple fix to lock the frame-rate to 30 could stabilize it. And this is on the Xbox One X. Digital foundry analysis shows it can jump from 60 - 30 in a short space of time.

Rant over!

Weren't all the DS games built with 60FPS in mind though and a lot of the iFrames were based on that? Think I remember reading something about it before where it was easier to parry on PC than console.

I have Sekiro on PC with a Ryzen 1700 and a RTX2060 and it's 60FPS solid and the highest settings. I have seen a few frame drops to 30 here and there but the strange thing is it's not even in combat it's happening, just when I'm standing still or in the first cutscenes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,199 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Weren't all the DS games built with 60FPS in mind though and a lot of the iFrames were based on that?

Pretty sure it was 30 FPS limit for the first two games anyway (and the games struggled to achieve that :pac:). When DS2 got released on PC the higher frame rate IIRC caused weapons to degrade faster than they would at the lower FPS. Think it was DS3 before we got a PC From title at 60 FPS that worked without any caveats (DS2 and First Sin were OK ports but had issues) or, in the case of DS1, modding.

higher frame rate IIRC caused weapons to degrade faster

That's what I was remembering!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,937 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A lot of people give out to developers for coding to set framerates but it's a lot easier to do that when you are targeting one platform and also easier on performance. I know myself in my stint in games I would code a lot with frame checks, other than collision code which I would code with polygons or vectors to get sub pixel accuracy and no frame check issues. Which was a nightmare to code but just do not like the usual collision engines like box 2D which have frame check issues.

It's just a whole lot easier to do and on resources so no surprise mid tier Japanese developers do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It's a bad habit that you often see Japanese developers do from any tier. It's not really undeserving of criticism when we've got extremely old games that run just fine a triple digit framerates. It's a regression of performance capacity and scaling and that is not something that should be defended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's simply bad design to interlink the game logic and presentation so deeply. Or, more precise, lack of design, and I've seen it first hand too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,937 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a bad habit that you often see Japanese developers do from any tier. It's not really undeserving of criticism when we've got extremely old games that run just fine a triple digit framerates. It's a regression of performance capacity and scaling and that is not something that should be defended.

Japanese developers have been targeting single platforms or a single framerate for years so got into the habit while western developers have mostly been developing for PC and therefore taking into account variable framerates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Japanese developers have been targeting single platforms or a single framerate for years so got into the habit while western developers have mostly been developing for PC and therefore taking into account variable framerates.
    I'm aware of that but doesn't make it not a bad habbit. I think fighting games where the moves are designed around frames is the only time when locked FPS to game logic is acceptable (and even then I'm hoping for a doubler option for multiples of 60 or whatever FPS they set the baseline). That and artistic purposes too of course like in South Park.

Engine choices matter too though. Dead Rising is Japanese made for one platform but eventually scaled to others and unlimited fps on PC. Based MT Framework :D

The engine mostly decides that though. MT Framework was a fantastic engine built for multiple platforms so would have been coded around variable frame rate. The collision engine would be a big part of it.

Dark souls phyre engine is mostly a renderer so you'd have to add your own collision code. You don't just get your collision code for free either. It's the toughest part of coding a game engine and takes up the majority of the time since it's the basis of the game actually working. If you are a small time developer then it makes sense to go for a cheap third party solution or iterate of existing game code which has probably been iterated on since the PS2 era.

It might not be acceptable but in the real world there's budgets and man power to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Friday's Fun Fact: Dark Souls does not use, nor has ever used, PhyreEngine.

https://twitter.com/jasondoig/status/367528002910822400?lang=en

I too believed this for ages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So for anyone lamenting Contra: Rogue Corps, and Konami f'ing it up, you might appreciate this new trailer for indie game "Blazing Chrome". The inspiration is ... subtle ;):D

Blazing chrome looks the part, I just hope they get the design down. Cuphead nailed the contra feel so hope this does as well.

As for Rogue Corps, I still think it could end up good as it's being directed by Nobuya Nakazato who is responsible for contra 3, Hard Corp, shattered soldier, neo contra and Contra ReBirth. He has some old school chops as well as being creative director of the second best Megadrive game ever, Rocket Knight Adventures. He might pull it off despite the low budget.

pixelburp wrote: »
    So for anyone lamenting Contra: Rogue Corps, and Konami f'ing it up, you might appreciate this new trailer for indie game "Blazing Chrome". The inspiration is ... subtle ;):D
    Their last game, Odallus, as an awesome homage to 8-bit Metroidvania. I'm really hoping they keep the bar as high for this 16-bit Run n' Gun'er.

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    Their last game, Odallus, as an awesome homage to 8-bit Metroidvania. I'm really hoping they keep the bar as high for this 16-bit Run n' Gun'er.

Oh, it's the Odallus dev. They nailed that game, very excited for this then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

gizmo wrote: »

Nooo, you said the magic word :D I'm on a bit of a Metroidvania binge at the moment (Bloodstained probably not helping there), so another one goes into the backlog :-) Though the '8 bit' gives pause.

I have a threshold for retro graphics, and 8-bit is that limit; there's a lot of beauty in the limitations of pixel art, but the NES era is the wrong side of ugly for my tastes. The colour palette is too harsh on the eyes & the audio often grates. Still!

Think there's some gorgeous looking NES games. Capcom, Konami and sunsoft made gorgeous looking games and their composers made the soundchip sing. Think you are just playing the wrong NES games!

Odallus is one of those faux 8-bit games like Shovel Knight where it looks how you remember 8-bit games look rather than being totally faithful to the limitations. There's no way a NES could run a game as nice looking as Odallus.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Think there's some gorgeous looking NES games. Capcom, Konami and sunsoft made gorgeous looking games and their composers made the soundchip sing. Think you are just playing the wrong NES games!

Odallus is one of those faux 8-bit games like Shovel Knight where it looks how you remember 8-bit games look rather than being totally faithful to the limitations. There's no way a NES could run a game as nice looking as Odallus.

It's purely a personal preference thing; I find the 256 colour palette too limiting and the contrast it throws up a little harsh; I love how good Shovel Knight plays, but the art-style gives me a headache. The ... I dunno, 'shushing' effect in 8-bit audio also grates. That said, 1-bit isn't so bad: Downwell and Gato Robato I played happily and had no trouble with the art ... so 🤷

16-bit done well I can eat all day, the previous generation, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I see the NYPD found the body of that Etika chap (a youtube streamer). Very sad.
    Took his own life last week. He didn't sound like he was well in his last stream.

https://twitter.com/NYPDnews/status/1143558996172967937

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Anyone on Steam? My app went nuts at about 17.55 and kicked me out, then wouldn't accept login details and now that I'm back in I just keep getting 502 bad gateway messages.

Unless there's any flash sales I'll come back in a few hours

Every year :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Anyone on Steam? My app went nuts at about 17.55 and kicked me out, then wouldn't accept login details and now that I'm back in I just keep getting 502 bad gateway messages.

Unless there's any flash sales I'll come back in a few hours

Every year :pac:

It's the Summer sale, and everything collapsed predictably.

So it seems to have taken awhile (jesus ****ing christ) but A.N.N.E is finally in Early Access with a release date of later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,564 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

A friend gifted me Arkham Knight a while back raving about it, i still havent touched it, i recall talk of bad performance but it is any good?

Advertisement