Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Penn wrote: »
    Interesting that that guy when reading Jim Sterling's response, chose to omit the word "homophobic". Seems like an important word given the context of the argument.
    These keywords flag your video for higher chance of demonitisation so he skips them or says them differently so as to not trigger them. A poor attempt to make it out as if he's trying to hide that part of it when he's showing it clearly unfiltered on screen to hundreds of thousands.

Here's a reminder of Sterling agreeing with Sessler supporting doxing for hate speech.
    Penn wrote: »
    He mentions it or at least alludes to it in his intros and outros of the Jimquisition videos every so often.
    Its been years since I watched any of his stuff from start to finish but I always thought it was just part of some character he was playing. It came across as clownish. That said it really doesn't matter because Sterling is a hypocrite who is fine with deplatforming and demonetising of different opinions. Which way he swings won't change that. I do remember him saying he's fine with his wife sleeping with other people, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

These keywords flag your video for higher chance of demonitisation so he skips them or says them differently so as to not trigger them. A poor attempt to make it out as if he's trying to hide that part of it when he's showing it clearly unfiltered on screen to hundreds of thousands.

Okay, in fairness I didn't know simply mentioning those words can lead to demonitisation, would have thought it would have to be manually flagged and looked at. And listening again, after the guy says harassment, he does mumble "phobic". So I'm happy to retract that point.
    That said it really doesn't matter because Sterling is a hypocrite who is fine with deplatforming and demonetising of different opinions.

"Different opinions" does not equal homophobic harassment of an individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Even when it's not about games journalism, it's still about ethics in games journalism...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,199 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Even when it's not about games journalism, it's still about ethics in games journalism...

Important to remember that ‘ethics’ is used as a synonym for ‘non right wing voices’.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Seeing all this conversation really solidifies my stance on not watching any YouTubers. I was never into watching them, but seeing this kind of toxicity means I'm missing absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭Cordell

The late Totalbiscuit was the only youtuber actually focused on games and consumer interests during his game reviews. Now, when I need to find out something about a game I look at raw gameplay capture videos rather that listen to their ramblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Seeing all this conversation really solidifies my stance on not watching any YouTubers. I was never into watching them, but seeing this kind of toxicity means I'm missing absolutely nothing.

There's plenty out there that are normal people. Just they get drowned out by bigger channels and YouTube drama.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,937 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's good ones there in the sea of utter ****e.

There's stuff like Superbunny hope and Jeremy Parish that are worthwhile informative content.

It's just knowing who to subscribe to.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I watched that Crowder video and I think he should be deplatformed 100%. Enough of this toxic crap already

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I like Jim in small doses. Being reminded from time to time about how EA etc are big bastards is healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

His shtick grates on me which is a shame because I agree with a lot of what he says but I just can't watch much of it. Any games coverage I tend to watch on youtube is solely focused on games with little or no 'culture wars' activity as it's mindnumbingly painful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,937 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He often does good stuff but I find a lot of his videos he says in 10 minutes what could have been said in a minute and a half.

In case anyone still cares, Ouya servers are being shut down on 25th of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He often does good stuff but I find a lot of his videos he says in 10 minutes what could have been said in a minute and a half.

They seem to be getting longer too. Used to be 10-13 minutes, now seem to be 16-20 some weeks (and that's without add-ons featuring Ubisoft or Konami he occasionally did).

On actual gaming stuff, I started Nioh about a year ago and dropped it after an hour or two. Didn't like it at all. Felt like store brand Dark Souls.

Picked it up again recently and funnily enough, now I love it. I wish more games had combat systems like it with the stances and individual weapon movesets. Plus the refashion and skins options make Fashion Souls far better!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    In case anyone still cares, Ouya servers are being shut down on 25th of June.

Pour one out for the dead platform :(

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

J. Marston wrote: »
    On actual gaming stuff, I started Nioh about a year ago and dropped it after an hour or two. Didn't like it at all. Felt like store brand Dark Souls.

Picked it up again recently and funnily enough, now I love it. I wish more games had combat systems like it with the stances and individual weapon movesets. Plus the refashion and skins options make Fashion Souls far better!

Have you played Sekiro? Combat is really satisfying in it. Kinda reminds me of Ninja Gaiden in a strange way.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Have you played Sekiro? Combat is really satisfying in it. Kinda reminds me of Ninja Gaiden in a strange way.

Waiting for it to get a bit cheaper but hearing how you can't power level past a problematic boss like in Dark Souls is worrying. I'd actually have to....git gud.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Cordell wrote: »
    The late Totalbiscuit was the only youtuber actually focused on games and consumer interests during his game reviews. Now, when I need to find out something about a game I look at raw gameplay capture videos rather that listen to their ramblings.

He went heavy during US presidential, among other things took a swing at 3rd party voters (ie not Republican or democrat) and then put up a few public apologies to his wife after shock horror the libertarian voted for Gary Johnson. Gonna guess they made up after.

https://twitter.com/GennaBain/status/796224800377057280

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭Cordell

His political and personal opinions are of no interest to me, I only watched his gaming-related videos, which were quite free of the aforementioned afflictions :)

• Advertisement

Cordell wrote: »
    His political and personal opinions are of no interest to me, I only watched his gaming-related videos, which were quite free of the aforementioned afflictions :)

Said rant started out on on of his stream, before continuing out onto twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,564 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Some chap in England decided to use GDPR to gain all the info EA had on him. He was shocked to discover he had spent 16 thousand dollars in Fifa ultimate team over 2 years ....

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1141713747251277829?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

How do you spend that much money without realising it :pac:

eyerer wrote: »
    How do you spend that much money without realising it :pac:

Catch 22,if you're dumb enough to spend that much then you're dumb enough to not know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Man, the AIB quarterly fees annoy me but this guy takes the piss. How can you be allowed to spend that much without your bank asking hey are you doing spending this or is someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

eyerer wrote: »
    How do you spend that much money without realising it pacman.gif
    Varik wrote: »
    Catch 22,if you're dumb enough to spend that much then you're dumb enough to not know it.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Man, the AIB quarterly fees annoy me but this guy takes the piss. How can you be allowed to spend that much without your bank asking hey are you doing spending this or is someone else

It's almost a year old story
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-23-fifa-player-uses-gdpr-to-find-out-everything-ea-has-on-him-realises-hes-spent-over-usd10-000-in-two-years-on-ultimate-team#comments
    but I somewhat recall from reading the dudes Reddit post, that he is/was on mental level money so for him, dropping £150-200 a week just wasn't a big deal.

Disaster Report 4 coming to the West for PS4, Switch and PC

J. Marston wrote: »

Personally tired of the formula. Nioh was good when i played it closer to when it launched but just so many clones now. Sekiro has too many issues on console and the repetition is grating after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Sekiro the repetition is grating after a while.

WHAT!? :eek:

The feck are you playing thats "less" repetitive? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

nix wrote: »
    WHAT!? :eek:

The feck are you playing thats "less" repetitive? :pac:

When you keep dying I'd say it could be ;)

Advertisement