Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesports

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

According to Wikipedia they broadcast in English.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Barça TV (Catalan pronunciation: [ˈbarsə ˈte ˈβe]) is a Spanish television channel operated by FC Barcelona. The channel is available in Catalan, Spanish and English. It is located at the Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona.

But their channels on 19 East and 30 West have only Spanish and Catalan audio options. They are encrypted. Most TV's and satellite boxes should have an Audio selection where you can look for options. For instance the GAA games on RTE 2 are in English and Irish.

Thanks for that Info. If they broadcast in English this could prove very popular with Barca fans like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

muffler wrote: »
    Freeview light transmits from Strabane and has 5 channels in HD. Im sure Limavady is the same.

I mixed up my terms freesports will be on HD muxes as they are called and the only one in Northern Ireland is in Belfast.

Yes Derry and Strabane have freeview light and get just the 5 basic channels in HD. Limavady has full freeview but they do not transmit the HD mux so will not have this channel.

Dindane wrote: »
    There is talk of the basketball and handball Champions Leagues being signed up, which would fill Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights, along with occasional Belgian games on midweeks and Fridays.

Sadly it looks like the channel is too late for EuroBasket (the European Basketball Championships getting underway next week), EuroVolley (currently underway) and the ISTAF athletics meeting in Berlin tomorrow, that used to be in the Golden League.

Hard to know if it's only the eirSport LOI games they have, or if they're allowed access to the RTE games also. Premier used to show these for a couple of years.

Essentially, the events that people pay a subscription to Premier for - NHL, NRL, NASCAR, speedway and GAA - will all stay on Premier.

Rights they have that don't drive significant subscriber numbers for them (football, athletics, cycling, triathlon) will all move to FreeSports, as well as events that clash among Premier's subscriber-driven sports.

They're apparently going for Copa Libertadores which has been on Setanta channels since 2007, but which has dropped off a lot of European channels this year due to a major change of format to an all-year competition. It definitely had a following, but problem was last time Premier had the rights it was always playing second fiddle to the ice hockey, so if they get this, you would think it would certainly all be on the free channel.

Tractor pulling was one of these things that used to show up on World of Sport once a year in the 70s and once a year of Eurosport in the early 90s. I don't think I've seen it since 1994. Don't expect to see it anywhere soon.

The channel is owned by Premier Sports, they have all those rights already.

This will be used for over spill showings so it can show more live content like the clashing between the South American football and the NHL.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I mixed up my terms freesports will be on HD muxes as they are called and the only one in Northern Ireland is in Belfast.

Yes Derry and Strabane have freeview light and get just the 5 basic channels in HD. Limavady has full freeview but they do not transmit the HD mux so will not have this channel.
    I scanned for the channel a couple of days ago (Strabane transmitter) but nothing showing for me on Freeview. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

According to this they are using Com8 multiplex so not on Freeview light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

The channel is owned by Premier Sports, they have all those rights already.

This will be used for over spill showings so it can show more live content like the clashing between the South American football and the NHL.

What exactly is it that you are trying to contradict?

muffler wrote: »
    I scanned for the channel a couple of days ago (Strabane transmitter) but nothing showing for me on Freeview. :(

Yea if you want to see it outside of Belfast and don't have Sky you need to have freesat

What exactly is it that you are trying to contradict?

You are saying that NHL and Rugby League will stay on premier only when they have already advertised that they will be showing NRL games live and at least 3 NHL games a week when the season starts up again in October.

They will also be showing speedway and other motorsport.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/new-free-sports-tv-channel-11076516

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

good morning - where are people finding the tv listings? thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Yea if you want to see it outside of Belfast and don't have Sky you need to have freesat

Freeview COM 7 & 8 muxes are available well outside of Belfast, & COM 8 won't be interfered with by the 3 Rock transmitter.

You realise that the Divis transmitter services more than the city of Belfast?

• Advertisement

Thurston? wrote: »
    Freeview COM 7 & 8 muxes are available well outside of Belfast, & COM 8 won't be interfered with by the 3 Rock transmitter.

You realise that the Divis transmitter services more than the city of Belfast?

I know, just comparing how Derry and Belfast are compared, like Derry does not even have full freeview just freeview lite.

Most people in the North who would be interested in the LOI will not get this channel unless they have sky or freesat

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

kooga wrote: »
    good morning - where are people finding the tv listings? thank you

Largely from UK viewers with seven day EPGs who have posted them to UK websites. Incidentally that is my cue to remind readers that we can't allow posting of full TV listings, because they are copyrighted and strictly speaking if you post a listing here Boards then has to pay royalties to the copyright owners. I know there's a lack of any sources for these listings at present but I can't really allow it to continue.

Incidentally Setanta/Premier have failed to agree a deal with Virgin Media UK for carriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Re: Freesports carriage on Virgin Media UK

The channel was due to make a deal with Virgin but it is apparently delayed until further notice.

Virgin Media's logo is still there on the FreeSports website as of today with the letters TBC underneath it.

Seemingly it has failed to appear on the UK Sky EPG this morning, though can be manually tuned. Not sure what the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

According to a user on Digital Spy, Sky are holding things up.

On a FTA box is freesports tv coming up as the channel name or is it the 52556 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

The picture quality is dire. They really would want to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Picture quality is horrific, most dodgy streams are better than that, and I am by no means a picture quality snob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

kooga wrote:
    On a FTA box is freesports tv coming up as the channel name or is it the 52556 etc

V

Came in as FreeSports on a walker combo

Quite a few chances to the opening week's schedule.

Junior Tour of Ireland cycling is currently on instead of the FA Cup programme, but that's alright for me. They're showing it before TG4, who normally have it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I suspect they'll only turn up the PQ when it's on the SKY/Freesat epg.

now up on sky uk epg according to their twitter page.

https://twitter.com/FreeSportsUK

You are saying that NHL and Rugby League will stay on premier only when they have already advertised that they will be showing NRL games live and at least 3 NHL games a week when the season starts up again in October.

They will also be showing speedway and other motorsport.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/new-free-sports-tv-channel-11076516

My phrasing may have steered you in the wrong direction, so to be clear -

As per Wikipedia, Premier Sports has rights to 15 NHL games a week.

However, due to slots available Premier are only ever able to show 12 of these live. The other three have traditionally just been shown on a delay, But now, these additional three games can be shown on FreeSports.

The usual main 12 picks will remain on Premier, the extra three games go onto Freesports.

NRL will remain on Premier, save for occasional simulcasts like this morning. There won't be a 50-50 split, and they won't be moving one of their strongest subscriber performers off Premier onto a free channel.

NRL, NHL, NASCAR, GAA and (to a lesser extent) speedway are the sports that drive subscriptions for the channel, and won't be moving across. Even freeview periods get heavily criticised by subscribers.

If they get the rights to Copa Libertadores, then this will live on FreeSports, as there will not be people signing up to Premier to watch it. The Copa Lib did spectacularly for Premier when they had the rights first, around 2010-12, but with matches delayed due to NHL for their second spell as rights-holder over the last two years, the competition generated little interest.

For various reasons, Premier/Setanta been able to pick up rights to sports outside of these, either due to convenience, the channel owner's preferences or a side-deal alongside their providing of world feeds for different sports.

These events will be on FreeSports, and will yield an audience there that they would not be able to on Premier.

Re: Freesports carriage on Virgin Media UK

The channel was due to make a deal with Virgin but it is apparently delayed until further notice.

Virgin Media's logo is still there on the FreeSports website as of today with the letters TBC underneath it.

All mentions of Virgin Media now removed from the website.

Loving the ice hockey - game on premier sports as well but different commentators

Loving the ice hockey - game on premier sports as well but different commentators

Cardiff-Liberec? They sound Welsh, but not strongly-accented and they're excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Its a different game on Premier Sports, Cardiff.

My phrasing may have steered you in the wrong direction, so to be clear -

As per Wikipedia, Premier Sports has rights to 15 NHL games a week.

However, due to slots available Premier are only ever able to show 12 of these live. The other three have traditionally just been shown on a delay, But now, these additional three games can be shown on FreeSports.

The usual main 12 picks will remain on Premier, the extra three games go onto Freesports.

NRL will remain on Premier, save for occasional simulcasts like this morning. There won't be a 50-50 split, and they won't be moving one of their strongest subscriber performers off Premier onto a free channel.

NRL, NHL, NASCAR, GAA and (to a lesser extent) speedway are the sports that drive subscriptions for the channel, and won't be moving across. Even freeview periods get heavily criticised by subscribers.

If they get the rights to Copa Libertadores, then this will live on FreeSports, as there will not be people signing up to Premier to watch it. The Copa Lib did spectacularly for Premier when they had the rights first, around 2010-12, but with matches delayed due to NHL for their second spell as rights-holder over the last two years, the competition generated little interest.

For various reasons, Premier/Setanta been able to pick up rights to sports outside of these, either due to convenience, the channel owner's preferences or a side-deal alongside their providing of world feeds for different sports.

These events will be on FreeSports, and will yield an audience there that they would not be able to on Premier.

Yea I say it will be fine during the season for NHL, I will be glad to see them but playoffs will not be on it so that will be a major loss for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

thanks to digitalspyforums

Full list of their current rights;

Football
    Portuguese Primeira Liga- 2 games a week
    Belgian Pro League – 3 games a week
    Spanish La Liga 2 - 1 game a week
    Superliga Argentina - 2 games a week
    Barca TV - full game from La Liga and Champions League
    Dortmund TV - 1 hour weekly game highlights
    Bayern TV - full game from the Bundesliga and Champions League
    AC Milan TV full game from Serie A and Europa League

Motorsport
    Australian V8 Supercars live
    NASCAR Cup Highlights
    NASCAR Xfinity series live
    NASCAR Truck series live
    Swedish Speedway live in 2018
    Monster Jam highlights
    Arena Cross highlights
    Formula Drift highlights
    FIA World Rallycross Championships highlights
    On the Limit Sport magazine show

Ice Hockey
    National Hockey League – 3 games a week that can’t go live on Premier
    International Ice Hockey Federation – 20 live games from Championships and 5 GB games from Div1A
    Champions Hockey League – 20 live games
    Swedish Hockey League – 2 live games a week
    Spengler Cup live semi's and final

Rugby League
    50% of NRL live until the end of 2017
    Select games from the Rugby League World Cup live
    Championship Rugby League – Toronto matches in England live
    NRL Full-Time
    The NRL Footy Show
    Rugby League Back Chat

Other Sports
    ATP 250 – 25 events mostly live
    New York, Berlin and Melbourne Marathons
    IAAF Athletics
    Spanish Basketball League and Copa Del Rey final stages
    FEI Nations Cup
    One Championship
    World Series of Fighting
    FIS Magazine show
    Transworld Sport
    Drone Champions League
    Weight Lifting World Championships
    Pro Bull Riding
    Golfing World
    Crankworx World Tour

Bike TV is up for sale, wonder if Freesports will look to add the rights they had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Bike TV is up for sale, wonder if Freesports will look to add the rights they had.
    Mainly CX and MTB this year - they didn't have all the road races they had in 2016.

Advertisement