Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesports

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It may be showing up as 52556

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It may be showing up as 52556

Found it. Cheers.
    I used the 'Find' button and typed in that number and it is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,042 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The advert for Freesports, if that is any indication, does have a brief GAA - hurling & football - piece.

I hope they consider upping the resolution on launch .... presently SD ... 720x576

It is run by setanta/premier sports to get more subscribers so it will not be in HD for free

• Registered Users Posts: 22,042 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If you are looking for this on Freeview it will be had to find as it is only on the HD transmitters and that is only in Belfast here in the North

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

One thing that has struck me since seeing the trailer is that it could be used to show Eir Sport 1's slate of Allianz League games that Premier Sports have the rights to but don't show in Great Britain (on TV).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,881 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you are looking for this on Freeview it will be had to find as it is only on the HD transmitters and that is only in Belfast here in the North
    Freeview light transmits from Strabane and has 5 channels in HD. Im sure Limavady is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Freesport would be the perfect sports channel for Saorview but we all know that's not going to happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Freesport would be the perfect sports channel for Saorview but we all know that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Totally agree in HD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Indeed, in theory is there anything to stop it joining the platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Indeed, in theory is there anything to stop it joining the platform?
    Dublin city council or an Bord pleanala
    https://www.google.ie/amp/amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/setanta-threatens-to-leave-ireland-over-planning-row-457693.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

All Freeview transmitters have BBC 1, 2, ITV, Ch. 4, & Ch. 5 HD channels. You're thinking of those with the extra COM 7 & 8 muxes (Freesports on COM 8), & indeed Divis is the only one of those giving regular reception on this island.

COM 8 is on UHF ch. 34, & won't be subject to interference like COM 7 on ch. 33, so should be more receivable further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Freesports TV?

what are we talking about here?? live Darts from Khakisthan and the like?

Mostly Australian Rugby League, ice hockey, and some continental and South American football.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nah i'll give it a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Rubbish that's what it's going to be.

Setanta 2.0 or should that be 3.0 now?

Go bankrupt start new channel the next day... Rinse and repeat.

Tennis, Aussie rugger, ice hockey, Portuguese, Belgian, Spanish, Argentinian and Irish football, monster trucks, NASCAR, Speedway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Tennis, Aussie rugger, ice hockey, Portuguese, Belgian, Spanish, Argentinian and Irish football, monster trucks, NASCAR, Speedway.

...... with the hope they might add some other sports in the future, like European handball, squash, table tennis and so on.
    Those additions would make it even more attractive.

To be clear, the Australian rugby on the channel is rugby league (NRL), a different sport to the game of rugby union which Irish people will be familiar with. Sky have the rights to Australian rugby union.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Hopefully people might watch rugby league and see it's not a bad sport. Too many dismiss it without giving it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

lertsnim wrote: »
    Hopefully people might watch rugby league and see it's not a bad sport. Too many dismiss it without giving it a chance.

I prefer it ...... less brute force and just as much skill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

And tractor pulling

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

...... with the hope they might add some other sports in the future, like European handball, squash, table tennis and so on.
    Those additions would make it even more attractive.

There is talk of the basketball and handball Champions Leagues being signed up, which would fill Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights, along with occasional Belgian games on midweeks and Fridays.

Sadly it looks like the channel is too late for EuroBasket (the European Basketball Championships getting underway next week), EuroVolley (currently underway) and the ISTAF athletics meeting in Berlin tomorrow, that used to be in the Golden League.

Hard to know if it's only the eirSport LOI games they have, or if they're allowed access to the RTE games also. Premier used to show these for a couple of years.

Essentially, the events that people pay a subscription to Premier for - NHL, NRL, NASCAR, speedway and GAA - will all stay on Premier.

Rights they have that don't drive significant subscriber numbers for them (football, athletics, cycling, triathlon) will all move to FreeSports, as well as events that clash among Premier's subscriber-driven sports.

They're apparently going for Copa Libertadores which has been on Setanta channels since 2007, but which has dropped off a lot of European channels this year due to a major change of format to an all-year competition. It definitely had a following, but problem was last time Premier had the rights it was always playing second fiddle to the ice hockey, so if they get this, you would think it would certainly all be on the free channel.

Tractor pulling was one of these things that used to show up on World of Sport once a year in the 70s and once a year of Eurosport in the early 90s. I don't think I've seen it since 1994. Don't expect to see it anywhere soon.

I hope they have the rights for the Rachau Hill Climb! ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,953 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

lertsnim wrote: »
    I prefer it ...... less brute force and just as much skill.

Darn tootin. :cool: It's a brilliant game, much freer flowing than union. But then I would say that. :pac:

Coming toward the end of the season now in Australia. Eir/Premier also show Toronto Wolfpack games in English League One and onto super 8s. Only fly in the ointment is Premier's current deal with the NRL finishes this year, no sign of renewal yet.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I hope they have the rights for the Rachau Hill Climb! ;) :pac:

I used to watch that every year!! Again, probably haven't seen that on TV since around 1996.

Sadly it's no longer running - they ended it in 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Some of this sounds like old skool Eurosport.

:D

They have U21 football between the Netherlands and England on Friday. 5pm.

Some Irish events on over the weekend too.

First three days of the schedule are here - https://sportonfreeviewuk.wordpress.com/2017/08/27/freesports-is-coming-to-freeview/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I see Barca TV is part of their nightly line up. I watched it when I was in Barcelona on holidays and found it Interesting as they showed a lot of accadamy games even though the commentary was in Spanish. I Don't think many will tune in if Freesport link up with Barca TV and the programmes are broadcast in Spanish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

According to Wikipedia they broadcast in English.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Barça TV (Catalan pronunciation: [ˈbarsə ˈte ˈβe]) is a Spanish television channel operated by FC Barcelona. The channel is available in Catalan, Spanish and English. It is located at the Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona.

But their channels on 19 East and 30 West have only Spanish and Catalan audio options. They are encrypted. Most TV's and satellite boxes should have an Audio selection where you can look for options. For instance the GAA games on RTE 2 are in English and Irish.

Advertisement