Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***The Official CAO Offers Thread 2017*** (R1 points in first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

ScummyMan wrote: »

Trying to get the hang of this new points system is some pain.

2.30am at home so I'm sure my sister is asleep, but I cant feckin remember if she got 519 or 521 and it's the difference between getting the course and not. Trying the various grade combinations that I'm pretty sure she got to see which number I can arrive at :pac:

Just for some closure on this, it was 521 in the end thank God :P

Well done to everyone on surviving this circus in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

@Randylonghorn,

As the mother of 3 students who have gone through the torture of leaving cert / CAO offers etc I'd just like to say thank you very much for all the time and effort you put into this section of Boards.

You've shown great patience & kindness to the Boardsies and have helped make sense of the complicated world that is Leaving Cert year.

Thanks for everything, over and out :D

PS Spurious, you're in there too! Thanks for all the helpful posts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Oh sheesh!! :o:o

Lots of good people around here to share the load! ;)

Thank you for the kind words, wishing all three both success and enjoyment in college! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Oh sheesh!! :o:o

Lots of good people around here to share the load! ;)

Thank you for the kind words, wishing all three both success and enjoyment in college! :)

One's finished, one's halfway through & the youngest is about to start. Now if you happen to have the Lotto numbers, that would be great!

Lol, given my luck with such things, whatever numbers I gave you, AVOID like the plague! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Lala1639

4 points off my course in Limerick :(

How many points do you think it will decrease by on second round offers?

Last year they usually went up or down 5 points, do you think I might have a chance in second round if I'm 4 points off?

This year's R1 points:

*click*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Are all CAO offers released together in one bulk at 6am or do they get released throughout the day?

I completed my leaving certificate last year and applied this year for two courses that I had enough points for, yet it says online that I've no offers at this time? Very worried.

Lala1639 wrote: »
    4 points off my course in Limerick :(

How many points do you think it will decrease by on second round offers?

Last year they usually went up or down 5 points, do you think I might have a chance in second round if I'm 4 points off?
    Last year they could only drop in increments of 5, this year isn't as simple.

Did that course drop last year?

All we can really say to you is that you're at least in the ballpark .... ;)
    Are all CAO offers released together in one bulk at 6am or do they get released throughout the day?

I completed my leaving certificate last year and applied this year for two courses that I had enough points for, yet it says online that I've no offers at this time? Very worried.
    All in one go at 6 am, but you're the second person did your LC last year with that story on this thread in last hour, which suggests there may be a problem linking last year's results.

Email them! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

I did my LC two years ago. Got an offer for the course I wanted :D

• Advertisement

Jaysus, they're all coming out of the woodwork!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Jaysus, they're all coming out of the woodwork!! :pac:

We lie hiding in plain sight for the day we get called into action

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Lala1639

Last year they could only drop in increments of 5, this year isn't as simple.

Did that course drop last year?

Sorry, I meant down by 5, don't know why I said up or down.

It dropped 5 points last year.

Don't know what to do about accommodation, I got offered my course in Dublin but it's Limerick I want. I'm on the waiting list for accommodation in Limerick and Dublin.

If limerick contacts me asking if I want accommodation what do I say as there's a chance I might get it in second round but I don't know what to do. If I refuse I won't have any accommodation if I get offered it in second round.

I don't think Limerick will offer you accom unless you have a current offer there tbh, but I'm open to correction on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 qK0ng

I don't think Limerick will offer you accom unless you have a current offer there tbh, but I'm open to correction on that.
    Do you know what time they send out the accom offer? Because I've been freaking out a bit since I accepted my offer and no accommodation in sight atm.

qK0ng wrote: »
    Do you know what time they send out the accom offer? Because I've been freaking out a bit since I accepted my offer and no accommodation in sight atm.
    Not a clue, but I would be surprised and mega-impressed if it had appeared by now!!! :D

In fact, I'd be pretty impressed if you get an accom offer to-day!

Accom offices do NOT have the resources of the CAO or anything like them!

So chill for the moment, you've got over the important hurdle ... ;)

Thanks, I'd be a little more relieved but they've sent me emails saying I'll get it some stage today, and it has to be accepted by noon tomrrow :O so I'll try to stay hopeful and optimistic.

I did my LC two years ago. Got an offer for the course I wanted :D

I got nothing at all and have enough points for the two I put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Overslept by an hour...but I checked there and I got my course.

Thanks again to all the fellow LCs and mods here on the forum. This was really the only forum I used, and it's sad in some ways that I won't really have a reason to post here anymore, but regardless, it's been good, might bump into a few of you in Galway, unbeknownst to myself.

qK0ng wrote: »
    Thanks, I'd be a little more relieved but they've sent me emails saying I'll get it some stage today.
    You can pretty much guarantee that was a pre-set automated email, and there isn't actually a living human in the office yet! ;)

I'm actually kinda impressed they're THAT organised tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Hulgerx10

Well, it seems like miracles do happen.

Thanks everyone,especially Randy. It's been crazy.

Overslept by an hour...but I checked there and I got my course.
    No, no good, I cancelled it when you weren't there to accept it right away!!! :pac: :pac:

/runs
    Thanks again to all the fellow LCs and mods here on the forum. This was really the only forum I used, and it's sad in some ways that I won't really have a reason to post here anymore, but regardless, it's been good, might bump into a few of you in Galway, unbeknownst to myself.
    Congrats on picking my much-loved alma mater! ;)

And we might find a way to keep regulars in touch .... watch this space! ;)

You can pretty much guarantee that was a pre-set automated email, and there isn't actually a living human in the office yet! ;)

I'm actually kinda impressed they're THAT organised tbh!

Ok that's a much bigger relief :D thanks mate I'll try and keep my focus off of it until I get an email or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Soolander

So after two hours thinking my life is over I think I might have realised the mistake I made. Seeing as I didn't even get an offer for my level 7 I have a feeling it is not an issue with points. I have my examination number filled in correctly but I didn't add the school I attended last year. I didn't think it was necessary as I only studied one subject there 3 days a week. Could it be that I was supposed to add the school and they send my results to the CAO? If so is all hope lost or could I send them my results?

Soolander wrote: »
    So after two hours thinking my life is over I think I might have realised the mistake I made. Seeing as I didn't even get an offer for my level 7 I have a feeling it is not an issue with points. I have my examination number filled in correctly but I didn't add the school I attended last year. I didn't think it was necessary as I only studied one subject there 3 days a week. Could it be that I was supposed to add the school and they send my results to the CAO? If so is all hope lost or could I send them my results?

You mean you didn't list anything under the "Secondary Level Schools Attended" column? I have mine listed there but still didn't get an offer. I definitely have enough points for at least one of my choices so I'm seriously confused.

I have my original school that I attended for 6 years but I don't have the school that I repeated in.

Soolander wrote: »
    I have my examination number filled in correctly but I didn't add the school I attended last year. I didn't think it was necessary as I only studied one subject there 3 days a week. Could it be that I was supposed to add the school and they send my results to the CAO?
    Nope, CAO and SEC communicate directly, schools are not in the middle.

Well now I'm really confused lol. So since I have the correct points, achieved the minimum entry requirements and given the correct examination number for the correct year I should be ok in the sense that maybe this is an error on the cao side?

You have given them both exam numbers? (for both years?)

If you have, I'm inclined to think it might be ... they're not infallible, tho' given the numbers they deal with, they're pretty damn good!

Email them / phone them! ;)

I suspect there is someone there by now, or soon will be ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mary674

I achieved 461 and was hoping for Business in DCU which was 470. It dropped to 466 in first round. Is it likely it will drop again in the next round?

Advertisement