Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mayweather DQ
    I think this is being treated a lot more serious than that.

I mean will Floyd claim the 50 if he wins? I think he'll try too which is farcical.

Well he has copyrights/patents out on "50-0" so you better believe he'll be claiming it.

Funnily enough he beat Big Show in WWE at Wrestlemania 24 back in 2008 in a no DQ match. He didn't claim that tho :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I think this is being treated a lot more serious than that.

I mean will Floyd claim the 50 if he wins? I think he'll try too which is farcical.

That really depends who you talk to Tbf.

As I already said, I don't follow the sport so I honestly couldn't answer but sure some football teams claim the community shield makes a treble, it all depends on who wins and who you ask. It's not that deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The best result for both parties is a rematch. Maybe a convenient disqualification for McGregor that still keeps his purse but allows a rematch. Or maybe a dodgy injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

If it's a 12 round war, is it still farcical?

Mayweather in a war are you serious!? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Mayweather DQ
    I agree.

I know plenty that watch the likes of Big Brother, Soaps, Kardashians, Geordie Shore I mean the list goes on and on. As you said people enjoy bad TV and whats interesting to one wont be to another.

I have no problem with what people watch or spend their money on, however I do have a problem with trying to legitimize this as a competitive boxing match when its not. Floyd absolutely does not deserve the 50-0 after this.

This is more akin to WWE or something like that or some other version of tv entertainment.

I think a lot of people are in for a big disappointment.

WWE at least is a spectacle where you are guaranteed say 4-5 hours entertainment at a Wrestlemania for your money.

This could potentially go one of two ways.
    1. It's over super quick
    2. We get a totally one sided defensive match for 12 rounds where Floyd's barely grazed

People are paying $100 on ppv for this or $1,000 for cheap seats so they are expecting a proper fight which could go either way.

Anyone that has doubts about what they are going to see tonight before putting down money should watch Canelo Alvarez and chavez jr back in May. Now remember Mayweather easily beat Canelo and McGregor isn't in same universe of boxer that Chavez jr is

I could see the crowd reacting very badly after tonight's fight. People don't like to be scammed and when you spend thousands that feeling is worse.

• Advertisement

neonsofa wrote: »
    That really depends who you talk to Tbf.

As I already said, I don't follow the sport so I honestly couldn't answer but sure some football teams claim the community shield makes a treble, it all depends on who wins and who you ask. It's not that deep.

Nothing deep about it, Floyd is a professional boxer whio fought and beat 49 previous opponents who were all legit pro boxers, McGregor isn't a boxer, Floyd is one of the all time greats so I don't think he deserves to be 50-0 off this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Mayweather K.O.
    WWE is panto featuring muscled men feigning injury - I'm always bemused that its spectators are mostly adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

WWE is panto featuring muscled men feigning injury - I'm always bemused that its spectators are mostly adults.

67356-90Fr.jpg

"His name is Tom"

At least its honest.

Mayweather K.O.
    At least its honest.

Sure it is, muscled steroid heads pretending to beat each other up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭BQQ

This fight is a farce

Mayweather only got bronze in the olympics
    That means he has lost against an amateur boxer and now he's expected to go up against The GOAT
    He won't even land a punch

Sure it is, muscled steroid heads pretending to beat each other up.

I don't watch wrestling anymore but wrestlers, especially in the past, destroyed themselves in order to entertain.

I mean are you trying to dispute that? The damage and injury's sustained are very real, we all know the the outcomes are scripted but they don't pretend otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't watch wrestling anymore but wrestlers, especially in the past, destroyed themselves in order to entertain.

I mean are you trying to dispute that? The damage and injury's sustained are very real, we all know the the outcomes are scripted but they don't pretend otherwise.

I lost count of how many haircuts Brutus brutalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Nothing deep about it, Floyd is a professional boxer whio fought and beat 49 previous opponents who were all legit pro boxers, McGregor isn't a boxer, Floyd is one of the all time greats so I don't think he deserves to be 50-0 off this fight.

But that's not the fault of mcgreggor fans who are being slagged off for having the audacity to get excited about the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

McGregor DQ
    So the poll is closed and the results are
    119 think Mcgregor will win and
    203 think Mayweather will win
    5 went for a draw.

I must admit I'm surprised. I thought it would be closer than that.

McGregor DQ
    ^^^ Edit- Ha ha - :D

Voting so far:

203: Mayweather

119: McGregor

Tighter odds on the other thread: 74:56 but still in Mayweather's favour

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057773614&page=11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mayweather DQ
    Conspectus wrote: »
    So the poll is closed and the results are
    119 think Mcgregor will win and
    203 think Mayweather will win
    5 went for a draw.

I must admit I'm surprised. I thought it would be closer than that.

Closer!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Great! AH polls are consistently wrong due to the type of people who post here. :D McGregor to win! !

McGregor DQ
    For those who haven't seen this- good discussion worth a watch.

(thanks to Outlaw Pete for original link)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

McGregor DQ
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Closer!?

I suspected Mayweather would win the poll but not by that much.

• Advertisement

Mayweather K.O.

They're actors, bad actors. Sometimes they hurt themselves while they're acting. WWE is just daft, it's not a sport, it's steroid heads doing acrobatic panto.

Drop it.

McGregor DQ
    Great! AH polls are consistently wrong due to the type of people who post here. :D McGregor to win! !

I'd love if he did. And if you asked me yesterday, I would have said McGregor. But today, I'm firmly saying Mayweather. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and like I said, I'm happy been proven wrong- but I do think Mayweather will clinch it- Skills and Experience over Youth and Agility.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

One option not on the poll was one of the boxers retiring between rounds, which I think is actually a more likely option than usual...the corner pulling out a jaded Mayweather/cut and bloody McGregor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

When you don't care what happens you just want to see a good fight and I think it will go 12 rounds which would be a bit embarrassing. Will be interesting to see how Floyd moves about and approaches it.

They're actors, bad actors. Sometimes they hurt themselves while they're acting. WWE is just daft, it's not a sport, it's steroid heads doing acrobatic panto.

Drop it.

Never claimed WWE was a sport, its entertainment, people are entertained by different things, nothing wrong with that.

And as for steroid heads, most if not all top level athletes are enhanced as most of us are aware. Didn't Jon Jones test dirty again?

Its no dafter than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

McGregor DQ
    Can I ask, does anyone else think of this song when this fight is mentioned? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Mayweather DQ

Drop it.

WWE and mma have their origins in the same place. Both originated from the days of Frank Gotch and George Hackenschmidt. In fact the very first 'mma contest' was promoted by the current owner of WWE Vince McMahon back in 1976 and UFC former owners the fertittas make no qualms about the fact they stole Vince's blueprint completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Mayweather DQ
    The MMA thread says 5, the boxing thread 4. A poster in that thread said 4.30. Sky says 12 but they want me to watch their ads. Does anybody really know what time the fighting in the ring will actually start at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

The MMA thread says 5, the boxing thread 4. A poster in that thread said 4.30. Sky says 12 but they want me to watch their ads. Does anybody really know what time the fighting in the ring will actually start at?

No-one can tell exactly unfortunately. Dana White has already said that as happened in the Mayweather Vs Pacquaio fight, they will delay the start if there's a massive rush to buy the fight late on and the phones/online systems can't process the backlog quick enough....every 10min delay probably makes them ridiculous money with the extra PPV's so I'm sure both fighters will wait

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement