Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I don't miss many runs but that just because I can't be dealing with the guilt .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

eyrie wrote: »
    Have to stick up a reminder here, for myself as much as anything, that I'm supposed to be running all runs between 140-145 HR, up to max 150 at a push. I completely failed at this so far this week so need to cop on and be more disciplined with it.

Monday 23rd - Pilates + 4.65 miles / 11:49 avg pace / 144 (155) HR avg (max)
    Ran home from work with the backpack. Started fine but felt a bit off from the second mile onwards. Let HR get a bit away from me too. On the bright side, I finally got the nod to move up to intermediate pilates, woo!

Tuesday 24th - 5.02 miles / 11:49 avg pace / 147 (154) HR avg (max)
    Eeek, no excuses for this one. Morning run to work with backpack. Felt pretty awful really, heavy legs and effort way out of proportion to pace. It was windy and humid, and that definitely played a part.

Wednesday 25th - 4.28 miles / 12:05 avg pace / 152 (163) HR avg (max) - !!!
    Failure of technology. At least I think that's the only way to explain this one. HR was a good 15-20 beats higher than normal for the same pace throughout, despite everything feeling mostly very easy. Felt a bit weird/woozy in a few patches but that may have been psychological due to the watch apparently telling me I was about to spontaneously combust!

Thursday 26th - Rest
    After the weirdness of Wednesday I decided to take a rest day. I'm still hoping it was down to watch misbehaviour but given that Monday and Tuesday's runs both felt fairly crap I decided to take a break and reset!

Getting very excited on behalf of everyone running on Sunday! I will be out watching and cheering, and probably getting very carried away imagining myself being on the other side of the spectator line next year! Hoping it's a great day for everyone running :)

I think I'd struggle with that combo in fairness :eek: Well done on listening to your body and taking a bit of break. Weather looks like it will be favourable on Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Catch up time! Didn't realise how long it had been since I updated this last, oops :o

Friday 27th - 5.04 miles / 11:14 avg pace / 145 (155) HR avg (max)
    Felt fine for this one until towards the end, when I started to get a migraine. Home to lie down in the dark!

Saturday 28th - Rest
    Still drowsy and a bit out of it after the migraine, so figured running wouldn't be the best idea.

Sunday 29th - 7.01 miles / 11:15 avg pace / 145 (153) HR avg (max)
    Out to cheer on the marathoners in the morning. Wow! What an atmosphere. Seriously impressed by them all, hope to be attempting it myself next time :)
    Headed out for an easy run in the afternoon, which was lovely. Went along a bit of the marathon route just for the craic.

Weekly mileage: 26 miles

Monday 30th - Rest. Took the bank holiday off to spend time with family.

Tuesday 31st - 4 miles / 11:14 avg pace / 143 (153) HR avg (max)
    Out at lunchtime for this short one. Bit weird, felt like I was flying at the start but then really dragged in the middle, just felt a bit off.

Total for the month of October: 113.5 miles
    Expected this to be worse actually as it felt like a fairly all-over-the-place month, but it's actually not too far behind where I was during training for the half, prior to the peak month when I went a good bit above. Still struggling (actually I should say failing!) to get the mileage up though.

And another one to bring us up to date!

Wednesday 1st November - Pilates + 5.1 miles / 11:55 avg pace / 145 (153) HR avg (max)
    First go at intermediate pilates - not too bad! Then out for an easy run after work. Slowed right down for this one as I was pretty wrecked - very little sleep last night and the legs were tired after pilates. Eyeballed a rat that was in no hurry to run away from me on the canal but otherwise nothing to report from this one.

Thursday 2nd November - Rest. Various things on and no time to fit in a run.

Friday 3rd November - 5.51 miles / 11:27 avg pace / 145 (154) HR avg (max)
    Grand, unremarkable.

Saturday 4th November - 5.53 miles / 11:19 avg pace / 154 (168) HR avg (max)
    Hmm. RHR was +10 bpm higher than normal. Got up and went straight out for this one first thing, and the HR was consistently 10 ish bpm over what I'd expect for the effort/pace.

Sunday 5th November - 6.28 miles / 10:10 avg pace / 158 (170) HR avg (max) :o
    Short on time for a long run, so I let myself up the pace and just enjoy this without obsessing over the watch and trying to keep my heart rate low. As a result I had one of the most enjoyable runs in ages!

Weekly mileage: 26.43 miles

Thoughts: I'm really starting to question this whole HADD training experiment. I don't feel like it's working for me. My heart rate seems to be really erratic and I often feel like I'm getting more sluggish and unfit rather than less. I think I'll start adding in one or two of the slightly higher effort runs he allows and try that for another few weeks, but if that doesn't make any difference I think it'll be time to move on. Disappointing but maybe it's just not for me, or maybe I'm not doing right of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

HADD's tough. I ultimately came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me, mainly because running is a hobby and it's supposed to be enjoyable. I also realised that it would take me half a day to do a long run of any distance, so I canned it once I started half marathon training! I'm a firm believer in HR training, just not as strictly applied as the HADD method.

The discipline to run by heart rate is tough , I couldn't hack it myself , I've tried a few times but there are a few runners here who stuck with it and found it very good, I know anniegetyourrun used it and I think Ososlo did a few years ago too.

If you are running for enjoyment and not enjoying the sessions it doesn't really make sense to stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Thoughts: I'm really starting to question this whole HADD training experiment. I don't feel like it's working for me. My heart rate seems to be really erratic and I often feel like I'm getting more sluggish and unfit rather than less..

HADD (or a similar training) worked very well for me. But you have to take into account that running with a backpack, especially a heavy one, will severely impact on your HR and your effort.

To be honest, when running with a backpack I'd just completely ignore pace and HR and just get the run done while ignoring the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

The Muppet wrote: »
    The discipline to run by heart rate is tough , I couldn't hack it myself , I've tried a few times but there are a few runners here who stuck with it and found it very good, I know annie get your run used it and I think Ososlo did a few years ago too.

If you are running for enjoyment and not enjoying the sessions it doesn't really make sense to stick with it.

I did find it tough for the first few weeks but for me it worked. I wouldn't do it while training for a race though, I used it as a base building / increase my fitness levels before I started Rotterdam training. It's not for everyone though that's true and as TFB has said, running with a back pack will definitely impact the HR.

It's probably a good idea to knock it on the head if you're not enjoying it! There are other ways to train by HR and I'm a big fan of that in general so don't let HADD put you off :).

Huzzah! wrote: »
    HADD's tough. I ultimately came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me, mainly because running is a hobby and it's supposed to be enjoyable.
    It's probably a good idea to knock it on the head if you're not enjoying it! There are other ways to train by HR and I'm a big fan of that in general so don't let HADD put you off :).

Thanks all! I really appreciate the input. Sometimes it feels like messing around in the dark, so it's helpful to hear other people's take on it! To be honest, I don't mind it being monotonous if I felt it was working. It's just that it doesn't seem to be. And you're all right that it's supposed to be enjoyable - it's not like I'm training to break any records or anything! I think I'll give it till the end of the month and reassess, but incorporating a few of his other methods (the slightly higher HR runs, and using 5k pace + 3 mins instead of strict HR numbers) and see if that makes any difference.
    HADD (or a similar training) worked very well for me. But you have to take into account that running with a backpack, especially a heavy one, will severely impact on your HR and your effort.

To be honest, when running with a backpack I'd just completely ignore pace and HR and just get the run done while ignoring the numbers.

That's a good point actually, thank you. I've always noticed a fairly significant difference when I run with the backpack, but didn't really know how much of a factor it should be.
    How long did you do this kind of training for? Did it take long before you started seeing results, do you remember?

• Advertisement

Monday 6th November - 5.22 miles / 11:47 avg pace / 145 (152) HR avg (max)
    Ordered myself a copy of Faster Road Running. Should make for some fun mulling! Ran after work. Ignored the watch and just focused on keeping it relaxed and enjoying it. Pace was slower but effort felt really easy.

Tuesday 7th November - 4.3 miles / 11:11 avg pace / 154 (166) HR avg (max)
    First thing in the morning, having not slept that well.Didn't follow HR as such for this, but opted for the other HADD rule of 5k pace + 3 mins, which was roughly where this ended up.

Wednesday 8th November - 6.32 miles / 11:05 avg pace / 148 (156) HR avg (max)
    A good 'un, this one. Focused on keeping it relaxed and going by feel, instead of watching the watch, so to speak. Felt really fluid and comfortable throughout. Fresh as a daisy at the end! Entered the Raheny 5 mile. An actual race to think about again! The excitement!

Thursday 9th November - 4 miles / 11:10 avg pace / 154 (165) HR avg (max)
    First thing in the morning. Wet and windy. Legs tired from the start. Ignored the watch again, felt like I was going really slowly so surprised by splits. No idea why my heart rate was so high, but apparently it was the same on Tuesday morning when I ran at the same time.

Friday 10th November - 5.9 miles / 11:01 avg pace / 148 (155) HR avg (max)
    Hit 1000 miles for the year!!! Pure lovely run too - lunchtime out by the sea at Sandymount.

Saturday 11th November - 8.33 miles / 11:07 avg pace / 149 (162) HR avg (max)
    Bit tired before heading out for this in the early evening. Few tough hills, hence the HR.

Sunday 12th November - Rest

Weekly mileage: 34.1 miles

Happy with the week overall. It's obvious that I haven't been half as careful with trying to keep the HR in the HADD-prescribed range, but I must say I've enjoyed the running infinitely more by taking a more casual approach to the numbers. And it has all ended up still in line with his 5k + 3 min rule for people who are extra slow, like moi! So I'm going to allow it, and continue on :)

Congratulations on hitting the 1000 miles, no mean feat in itself.

Are you aware of the 1000 Mile challenge thread ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done on hitting 1,000 miles. That is super. I'm at 900 and hoping to make 1, 000 but i'll have to get moving :rolleyes:

Congratulations on hitting the 1000 miles, no mean feat in itself.

Are you aware of the 1000 Mile challenge thread ?

I've seen it but I forgot about it, so thanks! Must go show off there now :pac:
    ariana` wrote: »
    Well done on hitting 1,000 miles. That is super. I'm at 900 and hoping to make 1, 000 but i'll have to get moving :rolleyes:
    If there was a runner's version of rock-paper-scissors I'm pretty sure running a marathon would trump running a thousand miles every time :)

Woot! 1,000 miles!

I'm doing Raheny as well :)

Woot! 1,000 miles!

I'm doing Raheny as well :)

Oooh yay! I swear it wasn't all the talk about the amazing goody bag that made me sign up... :o

Now I just have to find a very short-term training plan to use for it. Current intention is to stick with HADD-esque stuff until the end of November, then I'm away for a week, and that leaves 6/7 weeks ish to train for Raheny. With the small matter of Christmas thrown in in the middle ;)

• Advertisement

Oooh yay! I swear it wasn't all the talk about the amazing goody bag that made me sign up... :o

Now I just have to find a very short-term training plan to use for it. Current intention is to stick with HADD-esque stuff until the end of November, then I'm away for a week, and that leaves 6/7 weeks ish to train for Raheny. With the small matter of Christmas thrown in in the middle ;)

The goody bag is seriously unbelievable.

Maybe try one of the graduate plans drawn up by Testosterscone last year? I've tried linking but I've probably failed :o

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057669356

I followed that very HM plan for my first half last year, and found it brilliant. I did the base building plan before that too if I remember right. And I'm seriously tempted to follow the half plan again for my next one.
    But they're 14 week plans I think so too long for the short stint I'll have to prepare for Raheny. Though the base plan is 6 weeks and could work, I just thought I should be looking for something a bit more focused to the distance, but then again 6 weeks is obviously not enough to do anything very much, so maybe some good general base stuff is the way to go! Ahhh decisions!!

Are you staying with P&L to take you to Raheny yourself?

I followed that very HM plan for my first half last year, and found it brilliant. I did the base building plan before that too if I remember right. And I'm seriously tempted to follow the half plan again for my next one.
    But they're 14 week plans I think so too long for the short stint I'll have to prepare for Raheny. Though the base plan is 6 weeks and could work, I just thought I should be looking for something a bit more focused to the distance, but then again 6 weeks is obviously not enough to do anything very much, so maybe some good general base stuff is the way to go! Ahhh decisions!!

Are you staying with P&L to take you to Raheny yourself?

Maybe someone more experienced than me could advise, but I think so long as you built in an appropriate taper, the fact that the plan is longer than the time you have shouldn't be too much of an issue? You've built up the appropriate base, so you're just looking to sharpen up as the race gets closer. I could be talking through my hat, though!

I haven't a breeze how Raheny fits in to my general plan for next year or the plan that I'm currently on. I seem to have gone on a spree of signing up for races without really giving much thought to how to fit it all in :o

I haven't a breeze how Raheny fits in to my general plan for next year or the plan that I'm currently on. I seem to have gone on a spree of signing up for races without really giving much thought to how to fit it all in :o

Oh I've never done a thing like that, no no no.... :D
    My copy of Faster Road Racing just arrived in the post and it looks very intimidating - I don't know how you keep following it!

My copy of Faster Road Racing just arrived in the post and it looks very intimidating - I don't know how you keep following it!

FRR is like a Ladybird book compared to the Daniels book :confused: Feel free to PM me if you've any questions. It's actually really straightforward once you've worked out your paces/HR for each of the type of runs.

• Advertisement

FRR is like a Ladybird book compared to the Daniels book :confused: Feel free to PM me if you've any questions. It's actually really straightforward once you've worked out your paces/HR for each of the type of runs.

I'm reading it too eyrie and hoping to follow one of the plans (either 10k or the multi distance one) come the new year so maybe we can all help each other :)

I'm reading it too eyrie and hoping to follow one of the plans (either 10k or the multi distance one) come the new year so maybe we can all help each other :)

Sounds like a plan. Chickey2 is following one at the moment and it's really helpful to me to read her updates. I'm also wondering if there's to be a Graduates thread this year? There might be a plan there, which would definitely be worth a gander.

My :confused: refers to the Daniels book, btw, not your comment on FRR - just to be clear :P

Like some kind of running book club/support group! I like it! :)
    My :confused: refers to the Daniels book, btw, not your comment on FRR - just to be clear :P
    Gotcha ;) [note to self: never read the Daniels book, never read the Daniels book!!]

Another week comes, another week goes. Still haven't started my Christmas shopping... :eek:

Monday 13th November - 4.2 miles / 10:59 avg pace / 148 (156) HR avg (max)
    Short one at lunchtime. Felt good to be out and moving again after a rest day the previous day!

Tuesday 14th November - 5 miles / 09:55 avg pace
    Forgot my HR strap. Let myself increase the effort a little, though not too much. But I definitely enjoyed going a bit quicker! The freedom! :D

Wednesday 15th November - Pilates + 4.3 miles / 11:55 avg pace / 148 (156) HR avg (max)
    First thing in the morning, having not slept too well. Took it very slowly, more of a lazy plod than anything. Went to Pilates at lunch.

Thursday 16th November - 6.4 miles / 10:46 avg pace / 151 (162) HR avg (max)
    Oops. HR fail! But in my defense the effort really did feel easy, I could breathe through my nose, etc. Plus it was fun. Went out along the seafront in Sandymount, love that route.

Friday 17th November - 6.35 miles / 11:11 avg pace / 146 (155) HR avg (max)
    And a lovely way to end the work week :)

Saturday 18th November - College all day. No running. Barely any moving!

Sunday 19th November - 9 miles / 11:00 avg pace / 149 (164) HR avg (max)
    Headed to the Phoenix park in the morning. It's been ages! Went for a hilly one so the effort was a bit all over the place, but wow it was nice to be around all those trees. So beautiful right now! Bit tired for the last mile of this one, but felt like I could have kept going if I needed to, so not wiped.

Weekly mileage: 35.25 miles

Fiiiinally up (just!) above 35 miles. I've been noticing this week how good I feel with the running at the moment too. I mean obviously it's still all slow and my mileage is low compared to most people, but this still represents an increase for me and I've felt really good with it, strong. I'd love to push it up further but as ever time is a challenge when you run slowly!

That's a brilliant week Eyrie. You will have a super base for marathon training when the time comes.

That's a brilliant week Eyrie. You will have a super base for marathon training when the time comes.

I hope so!!! But that's so long away I could have gotten completely sick of the whole running lark by then and moved on to extreme ironing, who knows :D

Are you enjoying being back at it now yourself? Just spotted your post in the 2017 Goals thread - we have identical 5k PBs!! Any plans for tackling it again? I'd love to improve mine but I hate the 5k distance with a fiery passion!

I hope so!!! But that's so long away I could have gotten completely sick of the whole running lark by then and moved on to extreme ironing, who knows :D

Are you enjoying being back at it now yourself? Just spotted your post in the 2017 Goals thread - we have identical 5k PBs!! Any plans for tackling it again? I'd love to improve mine but I hate the 5k distance with a fiery passion!

Extreme ironing :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Lol that's mad that we have the same 5k PB! We'll have to compare other distances! My PBs are all over the place to be honest, they don't correlate with each other at all. 10k is 52:02 and HM is 2:09:xx.

I have a love/hate relationship with 5ks. Hate them with a passion when i'm running especially around the 3k mark when i'm desperately seeking out an ambulance but I get such a buzz when they're finished and especially if it's a course pb. There's a few near me every May/June so i'll do those again whether or not i target them and follow a 5k specific plan is still up in the air :confused:

That's a solid week Eyrie, 35 Miles is good milage.

I have a love/hate relationship with 5ks. Hate them with a passion when i'm running especially around the 3k mark when i'm desperately seeking out an ambulance but I get such a buzz when they're finished and especially if it's a course pb. There's a few near me every May/June so i'll do those again whether or not i target them and follow a 5k specific plan is still up in the air :confused:
    Ha, well yes - I love them when they're over too! But god they hurt in the middle :( Still I've only ever done 3 I think, so I think I need to just do a good few more - go for a bit of exposure therapy to take away the fear!
    Thanks! Happy with it, but I'd love to be up much closer to your kind of mileage. Just a pipe dream for the moment though :)

Ha, well yes - I love them when they're over too! But god they hurt in the middle :( Still I've only ever done 3 I think, so I think I need to just do a good few more - go for a bit of exposure therapy to take away the fear!

Thanks! Happy with it, but I'd love to be up much closer to your kind of mileage. Just a pipe dream for the moment though :)

35 miles is a solid week. It's all about consistency (she says having run 0kms this week so far herself :o)

• Advertisement

Cheers ' the longer miles cetainly make a difference.
    Be careful as you increase milage , make it slow and gradual to try avoid overuse injury.

35 miles is a solid week. It's all about consistency (she says having run 0kms this week so far herself :o)

There's plenty of the week left yet! And I'm going to be away for a week with probably zero running from the middle of next week, so I'm trying to make sure I'm consistent up till that point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

And it has all ended up still in line with his 5k + 3 min rule for people who are extra slow, like moi! So I'm going to allow it, and continue on :)

Just means you've more scope for improvement;). I think that a normal thing at the start for everyone, I kind of followed HADD's Easy run guidelines a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how much I needed to slowdown and could barely stay inside that 3 minute window but it does show just how much you can improve if the gap is big.
    Weekly mileage: 35.25 miles

Fiiiinally up (just!) above 35 miles. I've been noticing this week how good I feel with the running at the moment too. I mean obviously it's still all slow and my mileage is low compared to most people, but this still represents an increase for me and I've felt really good with it, strong. I'd love to push it up further but as ever time is a challenge when you run slowly!

Your pace is already coming down a lot over the last few weeks which is telling. Try not to think about it as slow if you can, you're building and well on track by the looks of it. I'm in a very similar position atm, my coach has kept me in base for 6 months and has capped my mileage way below what I would normally do and after finally busting out a speed session last week, he told me that we're going to drop that again and stay in base longer. It was a little frustrating as the temptation is there that more speedwork/volume would gain me a nice chunk of time in a few weeks but I'm running a lot better than I have in years and still progressing a lot just from doing that mileage and intensity so there's no rush. You're building nicely and progressing a lot so you must be on the riight track;)

El Caballo wrote: »
    I'm in a very similar position atm, my coach has kept me in base for 6 months and has capped my mileage way below what I would normally do and after finally busting out a speed session last week, he told me that we're going to drop that again and stay in base longer. It was a little frustrating as the temptation is there that more speedwork/volume would gain me a nice chunk of time in a few weeks but I'm running a lot better than I have in years and still progressing a lot just from doing that mileage and intensity so there's no rush. You're building nicely and progressing a lot so you must be on the riight track;)

Ha, I'm touched and amused that you would describe yourself as in a similar position in any way - you're in a very different league to me! But I know what you mean about the approach. There definitely seems to be something in slow and steady base building alright. I felt like I was getting worse rather than better for a good while, but definitely starting to feel a difference in the last week or two. And as you say, there's no rush ;)
    Good luck with your plan! Great to see the results for all the effort :)

Monday 20th November - 5.15 miles / 11:41 avg pace / 142 (150) HR avg (max)
    Ran by feel and it ended up slow and easy, more of a recovery run. HR stayed comfortably in range the whole time except very briefly a few times going up over bridges on the canal, and even then went right back down very quickly, so I'm happy with that.

Tuesday 21st November - 3.1 miles / 10:37 avg pace / 149 (159) HR avg (max)
    Ended up very squeezed for time, so this was short. Legs felt a bit heavy.

Wednesday 22nd November - Pilates + 4.35 miles / 11:05 avg pace
    Early morning for this one. And what a morning, lashing rain, huge puddles everywhere, couldn't see where to avoid stepping. Definitely a slog. Forgot the HR strap. Pilates at lunch was good though.

Thursday 23rd November - 6.5 miles / 10:24 avg pace / 151 (160) HR avg (max)
    Same route as same time last week, but pace was slightly quicker for the same HR, so I'm happy with that. Garmin gave me a new VO2 max for this one, though I imagine that's fairly meaningless!

Friday 24th November - 7.1 miles / 10:12 avg pace / 152 (160) HR avg (max)
    You know those ones when you can't help running down the road with a huge smile on your face? Yep, that. :)

Saturday 25th November - Rest, in the library all day :(

Sunday 26th November - 10.1 miles / 10:04 avg pace / 155 (167) HR avg (max)
    Well, I don't know where that came from. This was over a minute per mile faster than a usual LSR, unintentionally. I'm really starting to feel noticeably fitter all of a sudden.

Weekly mileage: 36.3 miles

Felt great this week, particularly the second half. The slightly longer runs are really my sweet spot at the moment, I feel like I can really get into it properly compared to 4 or 5 mile runs where you're just getting going and have to stop. Very happy with how it's all going now, but it's about to be interrupted a bit for a trip abroad so I hope that doesn't set me back too much.

36 miles, 6 days running + 1 pilates class, you're on a roll. Seriously impressive stuff.

36 miles, 6 days running + 1 pilates class, you're on a roll. Seriously impressive stuff.

Plus one to this. Glad you’ve found the love again and that Hadd is coming right for you. Enjoy your trip abroad :)

Plus one to this. Glad you’ve found the love again and that Hadd is coming right for you. Enjoy your trip abroad :)

Thanks you two! Really enjoying it at the moment I must say. I'm kind of hesitant to take a break for a week now, damn holidays getting in the way of running! :mad: :D

Oh, hello log! Sorry for abandoning you for the last 6 weeks or so. :eek: My bad... But I'm back and full of good intentions now, I promise.

So, quick recap to start. I've been running since I last posted here, but far less regularly than I had been. Away in the desert (so couldn't run - well maybe some could but I didn't, didn't want to get weird looks from the camels) at the start of December, and then home but just couldn't get into a proper routine in the run up to Christmas. I ran here and there, but really it ended up being only a couple of times a week. Then Christmas itself, decided to prioritise time with family, then got sick, etc etc and here we are in 2018 getting going again. Happy to be back to it.

2017 summary
    This was the year I got into running, really. I've dabbled before, but I started running consistently in February this year and stuck with it pretty religiously. I was slow back in February and I'm still slow, but I feel I've learned a lot and gotten stronger all the same.

Mileage: 1126 for the year (first time getting near 1000, never mind breaking it)
    Most I managed in a month was 143 miles (August - half marathon training)

Races: I did 4 races (5k, 5 mile, 10k and half marathon) and one parkrun (only one! must do more this year), and all of them were 'PBs' - not hard given I had only ever raced twice before this year.

No races since starting this log, actually, so the PBs in my first post all still stand. It's been all base building since, but it's time for things to get a little more fun now I think ;)

Highlight of the year was definitely doing the half in August. Furthest I had run in training was 12 miles, had no idea what to expect but it was just pure enjoyment from start to finish. Loved, loved, loved it. More please.

Which leads me on to thinking about what I want out of 2018...

• Advertisement

I'm not one for resolutions or major goals really, but I've had this annoying little corner of my brain that's been whispering "marathon, marathon" since reading the novices thread back in 2016. So the vague plan (wild hope?) is to attempt it this year. That said, I'd really like to do another half because I enjoyed the first so much. Oh and there are other helpful aspirations like "run more!", "get faster!" etc.

As I think about all of this I'm struggling a bit with the thought of balance, too. Training for the half last summer, I felt I was constantly saying no to things my boyfriend wanted to do, or missing time with family and friends. This year I've started a masters on top of that. Soooo... I don't know what the solution is (except for the nagging feeling that there probably isn't one, you just do what you can), but I like to run and I want to keep doing it.

Up next - Raheny
    The one thing that is actually happening though, is the Raheny 5 mile at the end of this month. I've already gotten off to a bad start with this one. I signed up for it a little while ago, lured by talk on here of a mouth-watering goodie bag. However, holiday and then Christmas happened, and I never got around to starting training. Or even to keeping up my base running, for that matter. So now I find myself in January, after 5 weeks of pretty scant running, more unfit than I've been in months. Great! Four weeks to cram-train, because I'm sure that works... But feck it, it's one race. At the very least this will hopefully teach me a valuable lesson about preparation. It's felt good being back at it this week.

After that - time to pick a goal, pick a plan, and get going. Happy 2018 all!

I'm not one for resolutions or major goals really, but I've had this annoying little corner of my brain that's been whispering "marathon, marathon" since reading the novices thread back in 2016. So the vague plan (wild hope?) is to attempt it this year. That said, I'd really like to do another half because I enjoyed the first so much. Oh and there are other helpful aspirations like "run more!", "get faster!" etc.

As I think about all of this I'm struggling a bit with the thought of balance, too. Training for the half last summer, I felt I was constantly saying no to things my boyfriend wanted to do, or missing time with family and friends. This year I've started a masters on top of that. Soooo... I don't know what the solution is (except for the nagging feeling that there probably isn't one, you just do what you can), but I like to run and I want to keep doing it.

Once the idea is there then it will just keep niggling at you until you do it so you may as well just bite the bullet and get the monkey off your back ;)

It's a juggling act no matter what. I don't remember saying no to anything big/important while training for DCM. It really opened my eyes that when you want something badly enough there is almost always a way to work around it. It may just involve getting up extra early, giving up TV time, or letting the house work go a bit (ok a lot :eek:).

You hit well over 1,000 miles training this year so you've already got a super base and you're already doing more than the weekly mileage required of a novice plan.

Best of luck with Raheny!

Up next - Raheny
    The one thing that is actually happening though, is the Raheny 5 mile at the end of this month. I've already gotten off to a bad start with this one. I signed up for it a little while ago, lured by talk on here of a mouth-watering goodie bag. However, holiday and then Christmas happened, and I never got around to starting training. Or even to keeping up my base running, for that matter. So now I find myself in January, after 5 weeks of pretty scant running, more unfit than I've been in months. Great! Four weeks to cram-train, because I'm sure that works... But feck it, it's one race. At the very least this will hopefully teach me a valuable lesson about preparation. It's felt good being back at it this week.

After that - time to pick a goal, pick a plan, and get going. Happy 2018 all!

Some nice goals. Plenty of time to get back in the swing before Raheny. Your fitness will come back quickly.

No harm in running the marathon without a time goal. As Ariana says, you're already running as much, if not more, than the novice plans. I understand how tough it is trying to do a masters while working, though!

I've developed a bit of a mental block about this log it seems - knowing it's sitting here horribly out of date but not able to bring myself to update it. So I'll attempt to keep this brief and get caught up.

Started January having done very little running for the previous 5/6 weeks. Raheny 5 mile coming up at the end of the month, so I decided to do the last 4 weeks of a Hal Higdon 8k plan - bit of a mix of the intermediate and advanced plans.

Week of 1st - 7th January

Monday 1st January - No running. Bad start... Went for a nice bracing New Year's walk instead.

Tuesday 2nd January - 5.21 miles / 9:50 avg pace / 165 (180) HR avg (max)
    Tempo run of sorts, which was the middle section of this run, sandwiched between a couple of slower miles.

Wednesday 3rd January - 5.27 miles / 6 x 400 at 5k pace / 157 (192) HR avg (max)
    OUCH. Have done zero speedwork since last August, and this basically traumatised me. Not smart, maybe. Hit goal paces for the intervals but it wasn't fun, which that max HR reading attests to.

Thursday 4th January - 15 mins strength training + 4 miles easy / 10:59 avg pace / 148 (160) HR avg (max)
    Very windy, but kept this nice and easy.

Friday 5th January - 3.62 miles / 10:44 avg pace / 143 (152) HR avg (max)
    Short and easy effort.

Saturday 6th January - 6.12 miles / 09:32 avg pace / 162 (192) HR avg (max)
    Plan was 6 miles w/ 3 at target race pace. Didn't really know what that should be so aimed for 8:00 - 8:25. First mile of the three was too slow, the others were too quick. Very windy. Felt pretty tough.

Sunday 7th January - 6 miles easy / 10:40 avg pace / 148 (159) HR avg (max)
    Short 'long' run.

Weekly mileage: 30.22 miles

Feels good to be back in the habit, but there were a few ropey moments. Can't remember the last time running felt as hard as it did a few times this week. A lot of fitness lost it seems.

Week of 8th - 14th January

Monday 8th - 15 mins strength training + 3.25 miles easy / 10:53 avg pace / 144 (151) HR avg (max)
    Can't remember anything about this, except that kettlebell swings are fun. :D

Tuesday 9th - Tempo: 5.4 miles / 9:37 avg pace / 160 (183) HR avg (max)
    Tempo section in between some slower miles.

Wednesday 10th - Rest
    Schedule didn't allow for any running today so moved the planned runs around.

Thursday 11th - 4.05 miles easy / 10:31 avg pace / 147 (155) HR avg (max)
    Easy run in the evening.

Friday 12th January - 4.02 miles easy / 10:42 avg pace / 146 (157) HR avg (max)
    Wasn't feeling great for this, but it was short and easy so no complaints.

Saturday 13th January - 5.1 miles / 09:11 avg pace / 170 (194) HR avg (max)
    5 miles w/ 3 at target race pace. Massive improvement on the same workout last week, at least in terms of how it felt. Still hard, but more manageably hard, if that makes sense. Splits: 8:06, 8:07, 8:03

Sunday 14th January - 8.05 miles / 10:16 avg pace / 149 (157) HR avg (max)
    Pretty windy. Felt good and easy, so I was surprised to find I was pretty tired later on. Fitness still not back, obviously.

Weekly mileage: 29.89 miles

Second week back was a bit better than the first week back, so baby steps :)

Alright then, time to get this back up to (almost) the present! Here's last week

Week of 15th - 21st January

Monday 15th - 10 mins strength training + 3 miles easy / 9:53(?) avg pace / 147 (157) HR avg (max)
    Treadmill run and I don't quite believe the pace my watch reported! But no matter, it was an easy run and the effort felt right. Ran out of time for my strength training at the end so this was very minimal :o

Tuesday 16th - 5.1 miles easy / 10:14 avg pace / 151 (161) HR avg (max)
    Snow! Out at lunchtime for this. Blaming the weather for the increased HR :)

Wednesday 17th - 6 x 400 @ 5k pace
    4.1 miles / 157 (187) HR avg (max)
    Aimed for 7:55 pace for the intervals but ran all of them a bit quicker. Oops.

Thursday 18th - 6.1 miles easy / 11:01 avg pace / 147 (156) HR avg (max)
    First runmute (with the backpack) in a very long time! Pace was slower but this actually enjoyed this one, took it easy.

Friday 19th January - 5 miles w/ 3 at 'pace'
    5.1 miles / 167 (192) HR avg (max)
    Had to do this as a run to work with the backpack too which wasn't ideal. I assumed that would mean the 'pace' miles would be slower, but they ended up fairly bang on - 8:13, 8:11 and 8:01 (goal was 8:10 ish).

Saturday 20th January - Rest
    In college all day.

Sunday 21st January - 8 miles / 10:43 avg pace / 145 (158) HR avg (max)
    Into strong wind for a lot of this. Tried to keep the effort low and not push against it too much.

Weekly mileage: 31.4 miles

Fairly happy with the week, I feel like I'm slowly getting back into the swing of it. Pity there aren't a few more weeks before Raheny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Pity there aren't a few more weeks before Raheny!

Yeah, I hear you! Looks like you've been consistent for the last three weeks so that will stand to you. Good luck!

chickey2 wrote: »
    Yeah, I hear you! Looks like you've been consistent for the last three weeks so that will stand to you. Good luck!

Ha thank you, I'd love to think my three weeks of consistency would be enough but somehow I don't really! However I keep reminding myself of this epic goodie bag at the end that everyone keeps talking about, so curiosity/greed will get me there if nothing else does!

Good luck to you too! Hopefully we get a good day for it :)

Best of luck on Sunday :)

Good luck Eyrie!!!

Quicky recap for last week before getting to the fun stuff (race! woo!)

Monday 22nd - 3 easy miles / 10:44 avg pace / 140 (152) HR avg (max)
    Hit the treadmill at lunchtime. Short, easy, nothing more to say :)

Tuesday 23rd - 4 easy miles / 10:44 avg pace / 145 (154) HR avg (max)
    Lunchtime again but made it outdoors this time. Still windy out there!

Wednesday 24th - 4.3 miles / 10:32 avg pace / 152 (184) HR avg (max)
    5 x 400 at 5k pace. All in order.

Thursday 25th - 3.1 miles / 11:17 avg pace / 146 (162) HR avg (max)
    Ran home from work with the backpack. Makes a definite difference to pace relative to effort.

Friday 26th January - 3.1 miles / 11:17 avg pace / 144 (153) HR avg (max)
    Morning runmute this time. Exact same pace as yesterday interestingly, though franctionally lower HR for it.

Saturday 27th January - Rest
    Planned to do a short recovery run and a few strides ahead of the race the next day, but I was feeling crap so just rested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement