Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Hope you enjoy training with Uncle Pete. Some nice options for you to race along the way, too. Good luck with the plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

ariana` wrote: »
    Hi eyrie, congrats on the new goal and plan, you sound like you're really buzzing from it already which is fab! I have that book but haven't managed to follow any of the plans (yet!) - even the lowest mileage ones are too big of a commitment for me at the moment but i'll be following with interest. Have you a target race?
    I felt like the HM plan was definitely too big of a commitment for me, so by contrast the 10k doesn't seem so bad but we shall see!
    Struggling to find a target race actually. I signed up for the Wexford 10k as my goal, but now I'm not sure I can make it. So I may be training for nothing... :eek:
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Hope you enjoy training with Uncle Pete. Some nice options for you to race along the way, too. Good luck with the plan :)
    Ha, Uncle Pete! :D You're clearly on much more familiar terms with him than I will be for a long time yet. Enjoying it so far though. It's quite different to what I'm used to, but then I suppose that's the point!

Catching up on the rest of last week - end of week one of the plan.

Blood test results came back. After almost 6 months of supplementation I have fiiiinally reached the bottom of the 'acceptable' range for my iron stores. Wooo!! But I have to keep taking a reduced dose for another 3 months so it doesn't go backwards again... I swear my diet is not massively deficient, but the GP doesn't trust it to keep me where I need to be apparently :rolleyes:

Thursday 8th Feb - Lactate Threshold: 3 x 8 min @ 8:03 - 8:13 w/ 3 min jog recovery
    7.1 miles / 9:42 avg pace / 154 (183) HR avg (max)
    Splits for LT intervals: 8:10, 8:04, 8:07
    Should have had a rest day before this one but I did it a day early, and the legs were a little tired. All manageable though and hit paces fine. Heart rate got up a bit higher than it should have on the last one, but otherwise all was as it should be. Hard, but satisfying. :)

Friday 9th - Rest

Saturday 10th - Endurance run (Goal: 10:41 - 9:38 pace)
    9 miles / 10:08 avg pace / 147 (170) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:36, 10:46, 10:23, 10:21, 10:07, 9:52, 9:50, 9:41, 9:32
    Hit the hills in the Phoenix Park for this. Haven't been there in a while. Turns out this is also my longest run since November :o Really like the endurance runs on this plan over my usual easy long runs - they're still easy for the most part but you get to steadily increase the pace a little, so it makes it more interesting.

Sunday 11th - Rest

Weekly mileage: 30.3 miles

Feels very weird having so many rest days. I'm used to running 6 days a week and the plan only has 4 at the moment (goes up to 5 in a few weeks). I should probably start doing some cross training on the other days...

A week of two halves, this one. Started out well but then had a fairly crappy session on Friday. I think I probably need to give this cough a chance to clear, but I don't want to miss a run. We'll see.

I'm also torn over what to do more generally now. I had started a 10k plan but now reading some of the comments over on this thread I'm starting to think a solid base building period to get the mileage up might be better. Still not sure really. There's so many different possible approaches and it's so hard to know which one to go for when you're still fairly inexperienced.

Monday
    12th Feb - Speed: 2 sets of 4 x 200m @ 800m to mile race pace (jog 200m recovery and 4 min rest between sets)
    4.5 miles / 155 (190) HR avg (max)
    Splits for 200s:
    53.4, 50.0, 51.7, 50.0, 45.6, 49.2, 47.8, 47.9.
    I'm sure the distance wasn't accurate for these, so hard to judge. Also had to swerve around a walkers a good few times so I definitely need a better place to do these. Effort felt a bit too hard on some, ok on others. Should have been 6 miles altogether but I ran out of time.

Tuesday 13th - Short easy run + 15 mins strength training
    2.2 miles / 10:12 avg pace / 146 (157) HR avg (max)
    Plan called for rest or cross training today so I went for a short warm up run and a (also short) lower body circuit in the gym. Wasn't exactly a serious gym session but it helped to alleviate the guilt of not doing anything!

Wednesday 14th - 8 mile endurance run (goal: 10:41 - 9:38 pace)
    8.1 miles / 10:05 avg pace / 156 (173) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:23, 10:27, 10:30, 10:09, 9:47, 9:47, 9:50, 9:49 (0:39)
    This was into strong wind for the first half, so the effort was a bit higher to keep the pace in range. I thought the second half would fly as it was in the opposite direction (wind behind) but I just felt a bit tired by that stage. All within target though.

Thursday 15th - Rest

Friday 16th - Lactate Threshold: 10 min, 10 min, 8 min @ 8:03 - 8:13 w/ 3 min jog recovery
    8.1 miles / 10:14 avg pace / 161 (184) HR avg (max)
    Pace for LT splits: 8:20, 8:37, 8:42
    Honestly one of the worst runs I’ve ever had. Couldn’t hit the target pace from the start and it got progressively worse. Effort was much higher than it should have been. A few contributing factors: did it as a runmute with a heavyish backpack, and I was wheezing from the start with a chesty cough I’ve been struggling to get rid of. The sensible thing would probably have been to postpone the run, but I’m not very sensible. Not fun. :(

Saturday 17th - College all day. No running.

Sunday 18th - Endurance run (Goal: 10:41 - 9:38 pace)
    8.1 miles / 10:04 avg pace / 157 (173) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:30, 10:32, 10:30, 9:55, 10:20, 9:59, 9:52, 9:41, 9:40, 9:53 (1:12)
    Headed north for a change and went out to Clontarf along the seafront and back. That meant running through the city centre, which is a pure pleasure on a Sunday morning when it's all quiet and sleepy still.
    I was a bit tired for this and still have the cough so not feeling 100%, but it wasn't too much of a struggle either. All splits were in range.

Weekly mileage: 33 miles

eyrie wrote: »
    A week of two halves, this one. Started out well but then had a fairly crappy session on Friday. I think I probably need to give this cough a chance to clear, but I don't want to miss a run. We'll see.

I'm also torn over what to do more generally now. I had started a 10k plan but now reading some of the comments over on this thread I'm starting to think a solid base building period to get the mileage up might be better. Still not sure really. There's so many different possible approaches and it's so hard to know which one to go for when you're still fairly inexperienced.

It's so hard to know, isn't it? When you decide, let me know, so I can copy you :P

This may not be what you want to hear, but if you've a cough, I'd be inclined to hold back on the running a bit.

• Advertisement

It's so hard to know, isn't it? When you decide, let me know, so I can copy you :P

This may not be what you want to hear, but if you've a cough, I'd be inclined to hold back on the running a bit.

I know you're right, I'm just irrationally afraid of missing a run! It's not like the sky will fall or anything... I'm taking today as a rest day and hoping it will be better by tomorrow so I can get back to it. But if it's not I will consider holding off a bit longer. I never thought not running (or even thinking about not running) would be so hard!
    Also I'm aware I'm being a complete eejit complaining about maybe missing a day or two when there's people on here who have serious injury or illness issues and have had to miss way more.

Also I'm aware I'm being a complete eejit complaining about maybe missing a day or two when there's people on here who have serious injury or illness issues and have had to miss way more.

Not at all. It's your log for posting your personal experiences and it gives context to your training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I know you're right, I'm just irrationally afraid of missing a run! It's not like the sky will fall or anything... I'm taking today as a rest day and hoping it will be better by tomorrow so I can get back to it. But if it's not I will consider holding off a bit longer. I never thought not running (or even thinking about not running) would be so hard!

Look at it another way, if you miss a day or two now you can get back to your regular runs fairly quickly - if you don't allow your body to rest now when it (maybe) needs it you could make yourself sicker and end up out for longer...!

Look at it another way, if you miss a day or two now you can get back to your regular runs fairly quickly - if you don't allow your body to rest now when it (maybe) needs it you could make yourself sicker and end up out for longer...!

Oh I know you're right - I didn't say it was logical!!

Oh I know you're right - I didn't say it was logical!!

#runnerslogic :)

• Advertisement

Right, decision made and I'm writing it down here so I don't flip flop even more. 10k plan has been axed for the base building plan from Faster Road Racing instead. That'll get the mileage up a bit without wearing me out while I still have a lot of college stuff going on on top of work, and then I can do a shorter bit of 10k specific training, hopefully.

Monday 20th Feb - Rest. Promised boyfriend I wouldn't run today after coughing and wheezing like someone possessed during the night.

Tuesday 21st - More rest. :mad: Decided the sensible thing would be to try and get rid of whatever kind of infection/bug/etc this is before it keeps me out even longer. Getting twitchy though...

Wednesday 22nd - Easy run
    7.1 miles / 9:50 avg pace / 152 (160) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 9:27, 10:15, 10:09, 9:56, 9:48, 9:39, 9:46 (1:01)
    Gave in to the urge and ran. And oh it was glorious! And I swear my chest was clearer after it, honest ;) Took it totally easy but it was quicker than I was expecting. Often happens when I've had a day or two off .

Thursday 23rd - Easy run + 8 x 100m strides
    7.3 miles / 10:36 avg pace / 150 (179) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:05, 10:22, 10:37, 10:30, 10:26, 10:24 (plus the strides)
    Strides are fun! I had forgotten this. Yay strides! :)

Friday 24th - Easy morning runmute
    7.35 miles / 10:30 avg pace / 152 (169) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 11:08, 10:41, 10:11, 10:25, 10:19, 10:17, 10:07 (3:58)
    Bit tired, and slow to get into this. Effort continued to feel a bit higher than normal for an easy run, but not unusual for first thing in the morning. Lovely morning though.

Saturday 25th - Endurace run (Goal: 10:41 - 9:38 pace)
    10.35 miles / 10:06 avg pace / 153 (184) HR avg (max)
    Splits:
    10:22, 10:28, 10:27, 10:11, 10:14, 10:20, 9:45, 9:45, 9:45, 9:59 (3:29) We were down in Cork for the weekend so I took the opportunity for a run around forest trail paths near the hotel. Found this surprisingly tough. Quite a lot of hills that caused the HR jumps, and the effort was definitely higher than I would have liked throughout. Back in in time to shower and hit the hotel bar! Not too bad really...

Sunday 26th - Rest

Weekly mileage: 32.1 miles

Bit of an all-over-the-place week. Mileage target was 33 so glad I came close enough despite the days off.

I'm itching to race, but nothing planned. I've a good few weekend commitments over the next while and I can't seem to find anything that doesn't clash. Someone put on a lovely flat 10k in Dublin please!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

When are you hoping to get a 10k race?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    When are you hoping to get a 10k race?

Well I was originally planning to properly train for one at the end of April, but I've axed that plan so I'd be happy for a low pressure race or two (5 - 10k really) over March/April roughly. There's lots on but either they're too far away or times/dates don't suit, or the course looks horrific, etc. Basically I'm Goldilocks :D

Well I was originally planning to properly train for one at the end of April, but I've axed that plan so I'd be happy for a low pressure race or two (5 - 10k really) over March/April roughly. There's lots on but either they're too far away or times/dates don't suit, or the course looks horrific, etc. Basically I'm Goldilocks :D

Where's the throw your arms in the air in exasperation emoji when I need it? :pac::pac:

I'd imagine the Great Ireland Run falls into the "horrific course" category, but it might be worth checking out. I also only discovered BHAA races last year: https://bhaa.ie/2018-bhaa-calendar/ I did the K-Club 10k, but there might be some options for you.

We need to get the 2018 races thread up and running!

Where's the throw your arms in the air in exasperation emoji when I need it? :pac::pac:
    Whatever do you mean?? :p
    I'd imagine the Great Ireland Run falls into the "horrific course" category, but it might be worth checking out. I also only discovered BHAA races last year: https://bhaa.ie/2018-bhaa-calendar/ I did the K-Club 10k, but there might be some options for you.
    Oh interesting, thanks! There's one in St Anne's Park that might suit, although there doesn't seem to be any info about it.
    We need to get the 2018 races thread up and running!
    Yes we do! I always feel like no matter where I look I miss some of them.

Monday 26th Feb - Easy run
    6.1 miles / 9:47 avg pace / 152 (162) HR avg (max)
    Splits:
    9:47, 9:40, 9:54, 9:43, 9:55, 9:38, 1:11
    Definitely faster than my easy pace should be, but in my defense it felt very comfortable!

Tuesday 27th - Easy run
    4.2 miles / 9:46 avg pace / 146 (158) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 9:41, 9:52, 9:50, 9:46, (1:20)
    I wonder if the cold weather was helping keep the effort level lower, because this was definitely quicker than easy pace, but again felt super relaxed.

Wednesday 28th - Lactate Threshold: 18 min tempo @ 8:03 - 8:13
    5.2 miles / 9:49 avg pace / 149 (179) HR avg (max)
    Did this on the treadmill due to the arrival of the snow. And then midway through the gym announced it was closing and everyone had to get out, so I finished the tempo section but didn't get a cooldown. Should have been 7 miles. Had to go by effort, couldn't tell what pace I hit for the tempo section but it felt about right.

Thursday 1st - Rest
    Snow day! Work closed, so working from home. This was a planned as a rest day anyway so didn't have to figure out how to run in snow yet.

Friday 2nd - Unplanned Rest
    Chickened out. :(

Saturday 3rd - Easy run
    8.1 miles / 10:23 avg pace
    The gym down the road reopened so I took myself down with a day pass. Forgot the HR strap. Long time to spend on the treadmill. Glad to at least move a bit.

Sunday 4th - Endurance run (Goal: 10:41 - 9:38 pace)11.5 miles / 9:53 avg pace / 149 (163) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:09, 10:06, 10:05, 9:54, 9:44, 9:54, 9:56, 9:41, 9:55, 9:35, 9:52 (4:43)
    Outdoors! Running! Oh the joy! Stuck to a boring route but even still this was pure lovely. Couldn't believe how easy it felt too. That's what being cooped up for a few days will do for you, I suppose.

Weekly mileage: 35.1 miles

Could have been a lot worse, all in all. I ended up only just less than a mile short of the target for the week. Can't complain about that really. Got in a good snowball fight too :) Now back to normality!

A very impressive week with or without the snow.

I meant to do one of these at the end of the month to keep tabs on mileage for the year but I forgot, so here it is belatedly. Comparison between January 2017 and Jan 2018 is amusing :)

| 2017 | 2018
    January | 14.5 | 124
    February | 61 | 121
    March | 90 |
    April | 116 |
    May | 113 |
    June | 114 |
    July | 143 |
    August | 84 |
    September | 104 |
    October | 113 |
    November | 137 |
    December | 36 |

Base building: 5th - 11th March

Monday 5th - Easy run
    7 miles / 10:15 avg pace / 141 (153) HR avg (max)
    Grand, treadmill, boring.

Tuesday 6th - Easy run
    3.1 miles / 10:16 avg pace / 144 (153) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:02, 10:37, 10:14
    Horrible, weird experience. Started to get really dizzy towards the end of the first mile, and everything felt hard even though my HR stayed fairly low. An unsettling feeling, but I made it back and then started to get a migraine, so I guess that was the explanation.

Wednesday 7th - Unplanned Rest
    Was really feeling the hangover from the migraine still, so running didn't seem like a good idea.

Thursday 8th - Easy run + 8 x 100m strides
    7.25 miles / 10:00 avg pace / 144 (181) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 9:26, 9:48, 10:04, 9:52, 10:00, 9:56 (excl the strides)
    Tired. Felt like the legs were really dragging, no power. Still experiencing the dizziness a bit, both beforehand and during the easy miles. Doing the strides seemed to shake it off though. Felt better afterwards.

Friday 9th - Easy runmute with backpack
    8 miles / 10:25 avg pace / 146 (156) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 11:05, 10:25, 10:05, 10:23, 10:41, 10:11, 10:19, 10:02
    Early morning for a change. Tired again. Legs distinctly lacking in energy again. Remembered I haven't been stretching at all though so that could be partly to blame. Otherwise fairly ok. Frosty out. Did some stretching later.

Saturday 10th - Endurance run (Goal: 10:41 - 9:38 pace)
    11 miles / 10:06 avg pace / 151 (169) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 11:00, 10:31, 10:05, 10:18, 10:26, 9:50, 9:57, 9:44, 9:38, 9:33, 10:09
    Much warmer than it looked, so ended up carrying my hat and gloves within 5 minutes of setting out. Headed to the Phoenix Park but went up the other side to usual, past the zoo. Nice for a change. Felt like I was hobbling around a bit, the legs were very creaky and tired but they got me through.

Sunday 11th
    - Rest
    If you can call a trampolining party for a 7 year old's birthday rest...

Weekly mileage: 36.35 miles

It was a strange week and I didn't feel quite right for a lot of it, but hopefully everything's coming back to normal now. There's a slight mileage increase due this week - only 3 miles but it has me wondering how I'll fit it in. Most of the runs will now be pushed beyond what I can fit into my lunchtime, so will have to have a bit of a think...

Getting excited about running in shorts again soon :)

• Advertisement

Mind yourself - dizziness doesn't sound good. Hope you're feeling better.

I've never worn shorts before and have decided to brave them once or twice already this year. I might need to invest in some more.

Good points both, I'll ask about it. I tend to avoid the doctor as much as possible! Or I should say I've been lucky enough to be able to.

*cough cough* weren't you going to look into that dizziness eyrie.....Maybe it was the migrane, maybe not, maybe it's nothing but maybe it's not and surely worth investigating on the basis that the sooner you get it fixed the better :)

*cough cough* weren't you going to look into that dizziness eyrie.....Maybe it was the migrane, maybe not, maybe it's nothing but maybe it's not and surely worth investigating on the basis that the sooner you get it fixed the better :)

+1 to this :cool:

+1 to this :cool:

I know, I know! I am a major heel-dragger when it comes to going to the doctor, particularly with this as it seems really vague and not even an issue 90% of the time. But I'll do it, if only to avoid the shame of mentioning it on here again without having done anything about it! :o
    I've never worn shorts before and have decided to brave them once or twice already this year. I might need to invest in some more.

Ooooh you're way ahead of me so. I find it soooo much nicer running in shorts (when it's not freezing that is). Tell me if you find any good ones!

I know, I know! I am a major heel-dragger when it comes to going to the doctor, particularly with this as it seems really vague and not even an issue 90% of the time. But I'll do it, if only to avoid the shame of mentioning it on here again without having done anything about it! :o
    !

:D no shame intended, just a friendly reminder!

The week of the hip! :( Picked up some kind of weird niggle across the front of my right hip early in the week and then it seemed to come and go over the remainder of the week. Wasn't really sure if I should rest it or not since it wasn't sore, just, well, niggly. Has made me very aware of the importance of stretching and how lazy I am about this usually - lesson (hopefully) learned! Next lesson: get back to some strength training/pilates/somesuch pronto.

Monday 12th - Easy run
    5.1 miles / 10:00 avg pace / 148 (157) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:01, 10:19, 10:07, 9:49, 9:35 (1:25)
    Out at lunch and felt like I was dragging myself around a bit. Picked up in the last mile and a half and felt much better. Hadn't slept well at all so probably just that.

Tuesday 13th - Easy run
    4.15 miles / 9:54 avg pace / 149 (158) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 9:37, 9:55, 9:46, 10:10 (1:31)
    Felt better out there today but still not very fluid... Noticed a tiny bit of a niggle in right hip joint, hmmm...

Wednesday 14th - Lactate Threshold: 20 min tempo (8:03 - 8:13)
    8 miles / 9:44 avg pace / 158 (185) HR avg (max)
    Tempo splits: 8:17, 8:25, (8:03 pace for last 0.4 mile)
    Brutal weather. Really strong wind and rain, the kind where the wind whips the rain into your face so hard it hurts. No point sticking to paces given the conditions, but tried to keep effort right. Ended up close enough I think, and felt manageable throughout. Hip twinged a bit at start but was otherwise fine until after tempo section, when it started to get quite noticeable. Came home and stretched and it felt a bit better.

Thursday 15th - Rest
    Hip sore again so rested. Stretched regularly and it seemed to help.

Friday 16th - Morning runmute with the backpack
    8.24 miles / 10:41 avg pace / 149 (165) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 11:01, 11:04, 10:40, 10:59, 10:37, 10:27, 10:35, 10:22 (10:11/2:08)
    The niggly hip felt better so I got back to it. I could feel it again when I started running but it wasn't sore really, and felt fine by the end. Took it slowly to be on the safe side. Felt a little sore when I stopped but much better after stretching.

Saturday 17th - Endurance run (Goal: 10:41 - 9:38 pace)
    11.15 miles / 10:02 avg pace / 149 (165) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:35, 10:56, 10:16, 10:26, 10:22, 9:48, 9:59, 9:34, 9:32, 9:09, 9:50 (8:58/1:25)
    Celebrated national drinking day by studying and going for my long run in the Phoenix Park. Wild! :cool: This was nice though, apart from incredibly strong wind at times which definitely affected a few of the splits (in both ways). Surprisingly tired after it but that could just have been down to a very late night on Friday.

Sunday 18th - Recovery run 2.5 miles / 11:12 avg pace / 152 (162) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:58, 11:19 (11:08/5:34)
    Return of the snow! Got out early when it was still very pristine and easy to run on, but it started coming down really heavily and the wind was strong again so what was supposed to be a recovery run ended up being significantly harder. Called it quits when I could hardly see what was in front of me.

Weekly mileage: 39.14 miles

The week of the hip! :( Picked up some kind of weird niggle across the front of my right hip early in the week and then it seemed to come and go over the remainder of the week. Wasn't really sure if I should rest it or not since it wasn't sore, just, well, niggly. Has made me very aware of the importance of stretching and how lazy I am about this usually - lesson (hopefully) learned! Next lesson: get back to some strength training/pilates/somesuch pronto.

Weekly mileage: 39.14 miles

Meet your sister. Except my right hip is the niggler. Sounds pretty much where yours is. Pigeon pose seems to help, but, yeah, niggly.

Meet your sister. Except my right hip is the niggler. Sounds pretty much where yours is. Pigeon pose seems to help, but, yeah, niggly.
    Oh no! You too? Yep I've found that helps, but then it seems to come back after a while.
    Are you going to do anything about yours? Or does the stretching seem to be helping enough on its own?

D'uh, my left hip.
    Oh no! You too? Yep I've found that helps, but then it seems to come back after a while.
    Are you going to do anything about yours? Or does the stretching seem to be helping enough on its own?

I'm currently managing it with a mixture of pigeon pose and ostrich pose - the latter being where I stick my head in the sand and pretend it's not there :o

I'm just trying to manage it for the moment. Like you, it's not actually sore *touches wood*. I've a tune up booked with the physio in April.

• Advertisement

D'uh, my left hip.
    So between us, we'd make a mean three-legged race competitor :D
    I'm currently managing it with a mixture of pigeon pose and ostrich pose - the latter being where I stick my head in the sand and pretend it's not there :o

Ha! Brilliant. You know, I've been doing this too and I didn't even realise it had a fancy yoga name :p It's doing my hair no favours though, think I might give in and go to a physio soon :rolleyes:

Advertisement