Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

skyblue46 wrote: »
    There's no silver bullet that's for sure but your consistency is the most important thing.

Yep, exactly. I have a terrible habit of going back and forth between different methods so that I'm pretty sure I make them all ineffective! But sure it's all running. No doubt it would make a difference at a higher level if you're down to trying to shave seconds off your best possible performance, but I'm a long way away from that kind of fine-tuning :D

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Yep, that's exactly what I was saying. I'm not sure if you've done any of the VO2 Max sessions yet - you'll have ample opportunity to push the effort/pace then. Honestly, the pace and effort will align on the LT runs.

Thanks that's actually really reassuring/helpful! First vo2 hilly session coming up later this week :eek:

Monday 16th - Easy run + physio exercises
    3 miles / 10:04 avg pace
    Treadmill. Forgot the HR strap too. Short on time for this but happy to at least get something in.

Tuesday 17th - Easy run + 6 x 12 sec uphill + 6 x 100m strides
    7.05 miles / 11:03 avg pace / 152 (180) HR avg (max)
    Did this same run back in February and my pace was quicker and heart rate was lower then, so apparently I'm getting worse at running :o In fairness it was very windy and quite warm for this, so I'm hoping that contributed at least a bit...

Wednesday 18th - Rest
    Headed to the gym at lunch to get changed and go out for a run, only to discover I hadn't brought my runners. :(

Thursday 19th - Morning runmute + Pilates
    6 miles / 10:38 avg pace / 158 (170) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:57, 10:42, 10:12, 10:40, 10:37, 10:50
    Crikey! Clearly the combination of early morning, terrible night's sleep, backpack and hot weather is NOT one that works for me. Effort was through the roof for an apparently 'easy' run.
    Good pilates class at lunchtime.

Friday 20th - 6 x 3 min uphill @ 3K - 5K effort
    8.8 miles / 10:44 avg pace / 157 (195) HR avg (max)
    Paces for the intervals: 8:00, 8:14, 8:12, 8:11, 8:10, 7:59
    Garmin gave me a new max HR for this, when I think says it all really. Absolutely brutal workout. Ended up doing it in the baking heat (relatively speaking :D), into fairly strong wind up the Khyber. I've never done extended hill reps before and didn't know what pace to aim for as the hill element obviously throws the 5k pace way off. Went by HR instead and ended up reasonably consistent, apart from the first and last, if slow. Never been so glad to finish a workout, or so close to pulling the plug. Happy to have made it through.

Saturday 21st - Rest
    College day.

Sunday 22nd - Endurance run (Goal: 10:41 - 9:38 pace)
    10 miles / 10:27 avg pace / 159 (176) HR avg (max)

Splits: 10:36, 10:37, 10:49, 10:38, 10:11, 10:15, 10:08, 10:26,10:04, 10:45
    Let's just say the previous night was a lively one, and as a result this was a real struggle. Windy again too, so that gets some of the blame for the much-too-high HR. Made it through and got home and lay on the floor for a while feeling sorry for myself :D

Weekly mileage: 34.85 miles

I feel like I was working too hard in general this week, and I should have been more disciplined with the efforts. No idea why everything seemed much harder overall, but maybe the warmer weather was enough to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

eyrie wrote: »
    Monday 16th - Easy run + physio exercises
    3 miles / 10:04 avg pace
    Treadmill. Forgot the HR strap too. Short on time for this but happy to at least get something in.

Tuesday 17th - Easy run + 6 x 12 sec uphill + 6 x 100m strides
    7.05 miles / 11:03 avg pace / 152 (180) HR avg (max)
    Did this same run back in February and my pace was quicker and heart rate was lower then, so apparently I'm getting worse at running :o In fairness it was very windy and quite warm for this, so I'm hoping that contributed at least a bit...

Wednesday 18th - Rest
    Headed to the gym at lunch to get changed and go out for a run, only to discover I hadn't brought my runners. :(

Thursday 19th - Morning runmute + Pilates
    6 miles / 10:38 avg pace / 158 (170) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:57, 10:42, 10:12, 10:40, 10:37, 10:50
    Crikey! Clearly the combination of early morning, terrible night's sleep, backpack and hot weather is NOT one that works for me. Effort was through the roof for an apparently 'easy' run.
    Good pilates class at lunchtime.

Friday 20th - 6 x 3 min uphill @ 3K - 5K effort
    8.8 miles / 10:44 avg pace / 157 (195) HR avg (max)
    Paces for the intervals: 8:00, 8:14, 8:12, 8:11, 8:10, 7:59
    Garmin gave me a new max HR for this, when I think says it all really. Absolutely brutal workout. Ended up doing it in the baking heat (relatively speaking :D), into fairly strong wind up the Khyber. I've never done extended hill reps before and didn't know what pace to aim for as the hill element obviously throws the 5k pace way off. Went by HR instead and ended up reasonably consistent, apart from the first and last, if slow. Never been so glad to finish a workout, or so close to pulling the plug. Happy to have made it through.

Saturday 21st - Rest
    College day.

Sunday 22nd - Endurance run (Goal: 10:41 - 9:38 pace)
    10 miles / 10:27 avg pace / 159 (176) HR avg (max)

Splits: 10:36, 10:37, 10:49, 10:38, 10:11, 10:15, 10:08, 10:26,10:04, 10:45
    Let's just say the previous night was a lively one, and as a result this was a real struggle. Windy again too, so that gets some of the blame for the much-too-high HR. Made it through and got home and lay on the floor for a while feeling sorry for myself :D

Weekly mileage: 34.85 miles

I feel like I was working too hard in general this week, and I should have been more disciplined with the efforts. No idea why everything seemed much harder overall, but maybe the warmer weather was enough to do it.

Nice week. I'd say the warmer weather plus wind plus backpack made everything harder.

I went back to my log to see what I wrote for that/a similar session:

"This was a new kind of torture wrought upon me by Pfitz. Found it tough. Doubted my ability to continue after the first one but stuck at it. The splits are closer to 5k pace than 3k pace. I only included three-minute recoveries when I set the workout up, but I took a wee bit longer. I also walked some of each recovery."

Nice week. I'd say the warmer weather plus wind plus backpack made everything harder.

I went back to my log to see what I wrote for that/a similar session:

"This was a new kind of torture wrought upon me by Pfitz. Found it tough. Doubted my ability to continue after the first one but stuck at it. The splits are closer to 5k pace than 3k pace. I only included three-minute recoveries when I set the workout up, but I took a wee bit longer. I also walked some of each recovery."

Thanks - nice to know I'm not the only one who found it tough! I was VERY glad (when I got home and looked at the plan again) to see that this particular workout isn't repeated at any stage! So at least it's just a painful memory now :o

• Advertisement

Think I'd like to chalk this one down and forget about it as quickly as possible!

Monday 23rd
    - Strength training
    30 mins of squats, lunges, planks, etc.

Tuesday 24th - Easy run + 6 x 12 sec hill sprints
    5.2 miles / 10:46 avg pace / 148 (178) HR avg (max)
    Should have done a set of strides too and brought this up to 7 miles, but I didn't have time. Heavy legs from the gym session yesterday, but the hills felt great!
    Ordered new runners last week which arrived today. Looking forward to trying them out!

Wednesday 25th - Easy run + Pilates
    6 miles / 10:32 avg pace
    Splits: 11:16, 10:57, 10:19, 10:22, 10:13, 10:14
    Morning runmute with backpack. Felt very tired at initially but got more and more into it and ended up really enjoying it. Forgot HR strap. The new runners seem to do their job though. Pilates was good, though I got weirdly dizzy after it.

Thursday 26th - Easy runmute
    4.55 miles / 10:58 avg pace / 150 (166) HR avg (max)
    Evening runmute this time, in the opposite direction. Super slow but still felt like I was struggling a bit. Haven't been sleeping well all week.

Friday 27th - Failed VO2 Max session :(
    6.5 miles / 10:46 avg pace / 159 (196) HR avg (max)
    3 x 1k repeats (pace per mile): 7:35, 7:38, 7:44
    Well. The first time (I think) I've not finished a workout. To be totally honest, I just wasn't able for this. I've no idea why it felt so tough, but it did from the very outset, and it didn't get any easier. Plan was 5 x 1k at 3k - 5k pace. I barely managed the third repeat as the pace dropped, before stopping and having to sit down. Felt really dizzy. Garmin gave me another new max HR (second in two weeks). I'm fairly disgusted with this, and don't understand what happened. It does suggest that I'm not in shape for the paces I've been aiming for though, so might need a rethink.

Saturday 28th - Recovery run
    3.75 miles / 11:27 avg pace / 150 (161) HR avg (max)
    Up and out before breakfast. Lovely sunny morning. Took it slower than I've run in a very long time, but it didn't feel like a recovery effort.

Sunday 29th
    - LSR
    11.05 miles / 10:27 avg pace / 154 (177) HR avg (max)

Splits: 11:01, 10:24, 10:25, 10:19, 10:44, 10:20, 10:26, 10:19, 10:18, 10:27, 10:31
    Headed north out along the seafront for this. What a day for it! Beautiful. I enjoyed this but I felt unusually tired towards the end of it, seemed to take more out of me than usual.

Weekly mileage: 37 miles

Not a week I feel good about, frankly. Nothing felt quite right, and Friday's session was one of the worst running experiences I've had. Everything seems to be both slower AND harder than it should be. I have no idea why. I'm hoping it's just tiredness as I haven't been sleeping well, but that doesn't really seem like enough of a reason. I somehow seem to have lost fitness and I can't understand it. Yes I had an interruption in the plan due to the glute issue, but that only involved a step back for two weeks, so it shouldn't have major consequences. It's a puzzler, and an annoying one! But there's far worse problems out there, so not worth stressing about.

Still a good week, though. Sorry to hear the dizziness is back.

You're about halfway through the plan, right? That could explain the slower/harder feeling. Also, maybe now you're back at the gym, you're not as fresh as you were.

I'm rubbish at VO2 Max workouts. I did one the last time I followed a Pfitz plan, failed another and bailed on the rest. I think I need to join a club if I'm to try these again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Don't be too hard on yourself. There is generally a reason behind the feeling you had on Friday. Often times it's just a bad day. How often in logs here do you read about someone feeling really terrible on a run only to be back in form in no time at all.

I won't mention the dizziness and the idea of going to a GP anymore lol.

You mentioned not being in shape for the paces you are aiming for. What paces are they?

Do you mind if I ask what your resting HR is?

On an unrelated topic, delighted to see you post on the novices thread. Is that a statement of intent? :-)

Thanks for the encouragement/reassurance you two!
    You're about halfway through the plan, right? That could explain the slower/harder feeling.
    Not even! I'm only 4 weeks in! :eek:
    I'm rubbish at VO2 Max workouts. I did one the last time I followed a Pfitz plan, failed another and bailed on the rest. I think I need to join a club if I'm to try these again.
    Strongly considering this myself at the moment. If I can work up the courage I'm going to go check one out next week.
    Don't be too hard on yourself. There is generally a reason behind the feeling you had on Friday. Often times it's just a bad day. How often in logs here do you read about someone feeling really terrible on a run only to be back in form in no time at all.

I won't mention the dizziness and the idea of going to a GP anymore lol.

You mentioned not being in shape for the paces you are aiming for. What paces are they?

Do you mind if I ask what your resting HR is?

I swear the dizziness had stopped completely or I would have gone to the doctor! If it comes back again I'll go, it's annoying me now.

The 5k pace I've been using for training is a good bit faster than I've ever run a 5k (haven't raced one in almost a year), but it's the time suggested off my Raheny 5 mile result. So should be manageable I would have thought, but I definitely didn't manage it last week. 7:30 - 7:40 p/m ish.

No idea what my resting HR is! I think it's fairly high, because it always seems to be when I try to measure it, but then trying to measure it makes me anxious so that probably drives it up... :o
    On an unrelated topic, delighted to see you post on the novices thread. Is that a statement of intent? :-)

Ah sure I suppose I might as well have a go... :pac:

Thanks for the encouragement/reassurance you two!

Not even! I'm only 4 weeks in! :eek:

Ah sure I suppose I might as well have a go... :pac:

Four weeks is halfway in Pfitz terms :p The plan gets easier around the time of the tune-ups, so weeks 4-6 are the toughest (at least in my experience).

Woot to DCM :D

• Advertisement

Somehow we're now well into May (:eek: :eek:), so I might as well recap April! Despite cutting my mileage in half for two weeks due to a niggly hip/right leg, it ended up being my second highest mileage month of the year. Which is possibly not a good thing, but here we are...

| 2017 | 2018
    January | 14.5 | 124
    February | 61 | 121
    March | 90 | 152
    April | 116 | 129
    May | 113 |
    June | 114 |
    July | 143 |
    August | 84 |
    September | 104 |
    October | 113 |
    November | 137 |
    December | 36 | Last week was a step back/recovery week, which I thoroughly enjoyed :D I had a work trip at the end of the week anyway so it fitted in nicely.

Monday 30th April - Rest
    Nothing planned for today but I vaguely intended to get out for a recovery run. I was dead tired though, and given how crappy most of the previous week's running was I though an aul' rest might be the best thing.

Tuesday 1st May - Speed session: 2 sets of 4 x 200m (800m - mile pace) w/ jog recoveries + 3m runmute
    7.3 miles @ 10:36 avg
    Splits: Set 1: 47 seconds, 50, 49, 52. Set 2: 49, 51, 53, 52
    FINALLY! A workout that felt good! Easy even. Needed this. Prescribed pace would have these at 54 seconds a repeat, and they all ended up being too fast. Deliberately slowed down for the last two to try and hit the target. Felt very comfortable. Granted it's not a very hard session anyway, but a much-needed little boost all the same.

Did that at lunchtime and then finished the day with a runmute home to bring up the mileage.

Wednesday 2nd - Easy run + Pilates
    6 miles @ 10:41 avg / 150 (164) HR avg (max)
    Runmute into work in the morning with the backpack. Surprisingly enjoyable actually, despite a late night last night. Easy pace is definitely slower lately, which fits with the general lack of running energy, but that's probably to be expected to balance out the harder work.

Thursday 3rd & Friday 4th - Rest
    Work travel, no chance to run.

Saturday 5th - Easy run
    8.7 miles / 10:18 avg pace / 156 (167) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:43, 10:44, 10:41, 10:48, 10:42, 10:01, 9:19, 9:42 (10:02/6:55)
    A little longer than planned because I got lost. Was trying to get home to get ready for a hen party that afternoon, so preparations ended up being fairly rushed :o

Sunday 6th - Easy run
    8 miles / 10:21 avg pace / 155 (166) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:28, 10:38, 10:43, 10:35, 10:12, 10:10, 9:56, 10:04
    Followed almost the same route as previous day. What a day for it! Glorious to be out.

Weekly mileage: 30 miles

Ended the week feeling a lot better than I started it, so I guess the step back did its job :)

Any idea of what tune-up races you'll do?

Any idea of what tune-up races you'll do?

I'm only planning one at the moment - the Bob Heffernan 5k in two ish weeks (which I'm massively regretting signing up for, I do NOT want to race a 5k any time soon!! :eek:)
    I might do a parkrun around the time the second tune up is called for, but I've nothing specific planned.

What about you?? How soon does the marathon plan start for Berlin?

I'm only planning one at the moment - the Bob Heffernan 5k in two ish weeks (which I'm massively regretting signing up for, I do NOT want to race a 5k any time soon!! :eek:)
    I might do a parkrun around the time the second tune up is called for, but I've nothing specific planned.

What about you?? How soon does the marathon plan start for Berlin?

In a couple of weeks, but I'm on holiday from Saturday until June with no running possible. Think I'll miss the first couple of weeks of the plan, but they're low enough mileage wise and there aren't any sessions.

I had sneakily entered the Le Chéile 5K, which was on last night and had pacers, but couldn't get away. Busy work = very little running at the moment. I was raging I couldn't get away but like you, the thoughts of racing a 5k wasn't too appealing in reality.

It's one of my favourite features of Pfitz plans: lots of racing opportunities. I think you might surprise yourself (but none of us) at Bob.

In a couple of weeks, but I'm on holiday from Saturday until June with no running possible. Think I'll miss the first couple of weeks of the plan, but they're low enough mileage wise and there aren't any sessions.

I had sneakily entered the Le Chéile 5K, which was on last night and had pacers, but couldn't get away. Busy work = very little running at the moment. I was raging I couldn't get away but like you, the thoughts of racing a 5k wasn't too appealing in reality.

It's one of my favourite features of Pfitz plans: lots of racing opportunities. I think you might surprise yourself (but none of us) at Bob.

Hope you're going somewhere nice on your holidays! I'm away for just over a week at the end of the month and the thought of how to fit in my running with it without driving my fellow traveller nuts is stressing me out no end :rolleyes:

What a start to the week with that incredible weather for the bank holiday. Someone should really introduce the four-day work week as a regular thing.

Monday 7
    th May - Rest
    A short hike in the sunshine for the bank holiday.

Tuesday 8th - Speed: 2 sets of 5 x 200m (jog 200m recoveries)
    8.6 miles / 10:36 avg pace / 149 (186) HR avg (max)
    Set 1 (seconds): 49, 54, 50, 54, 49. Set 2 (seconds): 49, 49, 52, 51, 52
    Same as last week but with one more rep per set. I like these. Into strong wind for every second one, but all still within target range so I'm happy with how it went.

Wednesday 9th - Easy runmute + Pilates
    8.5 miles / 10:15 avg pace / 153 (168) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:48, 10:59, 10:29, 10:15, 10:03, 9:41, 9:44, 10:04 (10:12/5:06)
    Ran in to work in the morning. Managed it without the backpack this time and it's so much more enjoyable! I started to tire towards the end which is odd, but maybe having done the session the night before contributed.

Thursday 10th - Recovery
    3 miles / 10:58 avg pace / 133 (140) HR avg (max)
    Short recovery run on the treadmill. Felt quite refreshed after it!

Friday 11th - LT Session: 12 min, 10 min, 10 min @ LT pace (8:03 - 8:11) w/ 4 min jog recoveries
    8.05 miles / 9:40 avg pace / 161 (186) HR avg (max)
    LT intervals: 12 min @ 8:10, 10 min @ 8:08, 10 min @ 8:04
    After how the last few of these had gone I was nervous about this, but it was great! Hit my targets and actually really enjoyed it, didn't feel tough at all. I was working but not too hard, and could definitely have kept going.

Saturday 12th - Rest
    Down the country for a christening. Lots of sitting around plus eating and drinking,

Sunday 13th
    - Endurance run (Goal: 10:41 - 9:38 pace)
    11 miles / 10:00 avg pace / 156 (168) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:07, 10:16, 10:00, 10:14, 10:21, 10:23, 9:50, 9:58, 9:50, 9:41, 9:18.
    Lots more sitting around on the drive back to Dublin and I was half asleep heading out for this, but felt great once I started moving. One of those runs where you just pure love running. Legs felt really fresh too. Maybe sitting around all weekend helped!

Weekly mileage: 39.15 miles

Very happy with the week overall. Felt really good throughout, much better than I have for a few weeks, and managed to get the mileage back up too. I was worrying a bit a week or two ago, so it's reassuring to feel things starting to pick up again.

The good feels seem to be continuing, maybe it's down to the sunshine or something? Whatever it is, I'll take it!

Monday 14th - Easy runmute home from work with the backpack
    7 miles / 10:54 avg pace / 142 (155) HR avg (max)
    Kept this super easy. Warm evening. I didn't try and count the amount of bugs that flew into me as I ran, but there were a lot. I think they probably came out of the encounter worse off than I did.

Tuesday 15th - Easy lunchtime run
    5.1 miles / 10:23 avg pace / 142 (153) HR avg (max)
    Felt a bit tired on this but it was nice and easy all the same. Bit humid.

Wednesday 16th - Race pace session: 4 x 1200m + 2 x 1000m @ 10k pace (jog recoveries 50% of interval time)
    9 miles / 10:12 avg pace / 161 (189) HR avg (max)
    Paces for intervals: 7:51, 7:43, 7:48, 7:49, 7:46, 7:46 (Target: 8:01 - 7:46)
    I was quite worried/apprehensive about this session if I'm honest, it looked super intimidating on paper. But as soon as I started the first rep I knew it would be ok - the pace just felt comfortable. It got harder for the last couple but never overly so. Absolutely delighted with it overall, though I have a slight fear I can't entirely trust it as my garmin measured all the laps slightly out. First time trying out running on a track too! Well a grass track - hit the Trinity one for this. No one else using it!

Trying to squish a few things into the early part of this week because I'm away at a wedding this weekend, and there won't be any running happening!

Aaaand here's the rest of the week:

Thursday 17th
    - Endurance runmute in the morning with backpack
    11 miles / 10:05 avg pace / 151 (165) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:50, 10:28, 10:35, 10:14, 10:02, 10:24, 9:58, 9:57, 9:40, 9:26, 9:56
    I was very much in two minds about whether this was a good idea or not after the session the previous evening, and I've never done such a long run as a runmute either. But I decided to give it a go and cut it short if the body was complaining too much. Surprisingly it was really enjoyably. Legs were most definitely tired, but in a satisfying way rather than a "I want to stop" way.

Friday 18th - Very easy run + a few strides
    6 miles / 11:25 avg pace / 142 (165) HR avg (max)
    Super slow easy run with a few strides thrown in too. Legs definitely tired from the week.

Saturday 19th - Rest
    Away at a wedding. No running but much dancing! :D

Sunday 20th - Recovery run
    2.5 miles / 11:06 avg pace / 141 (150) HR avg (max)
    Short and sweet recovery, just to get the legs moving a bit again.

Weekly mileage: 40.6 miles

And that concludes my first ever 40 mile week! Have to say it was a very satisfying week's running. Felt really good throughout and enjoyed the work. I'm just hoping it won't have me too tired for a 5k this Tuesday, which will be my first race since January! :eek:

Great week! I share your fears about racing on Tuesday after a couple of tough weeks. Looking forward to it at the same time though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great week Eyrie, 40 miles wow.

Best of luck on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Nice work, well done!

How did the race go Eyrie?

ariana` wrote: »
    How did the race go Eyrie?

Thanks for asking! I'll write it up and post it in a bit. Can't say I enjoyed it, but I got a new PB out of it all the same. Congratulations on your new one too ;) Looking forward to hearing the details :)

Thanks for asking! I'll write it up and post it in a bit. Can't say I enjoyed it, but I got a new PB out of it all the same. Congratulations on your new one too ;) Looking forward to hearing the details :)

I just saw it on Strava. Well done on the PB. I'm looking forward to reading the report.

And thanks :cool:

Monday 21st - Recovery run
    3 miles / 11:22 avg pace / 139 (149) HR avg (max)
    Conscious that I haven't been the smartest in terms of tapering for the race tomorrow, I kept this to a gentle recovery run too.

Tuesday 22nd - Race Day! Bob Heffernan 5K
    8 miles including warm up and cool down

What a glorious evening to be out running. Arrived and was amazed at how many of the runners were wearing club gear and, well, looking like real runners. Started to feel a bit out of my depth, if I'm honest. But what of it, we were all there to run and no one was going to be paying any attention to me anyway.

The Race

I somehow thought that this race went by gun time so I started my watch as soon as the gun went off, resulting in my Garmin being out for the whole thing. Nearly tripped over a shoe that someone had lost at the start line (tough break for whoever that was!).

Straightaway the effort seemed high. Too high? I wasn't sure if it was tiredness, or just that a 5K should be hard from the start. I wasn't really feeling it, but I knew I'd be disgusted with myself if I gave in, so I tried to hold the pace at least. It was pretty manageable for about the first 3km or so and then I started to feel it, and the doubts/thoughts of slowing down started to creep in. Strangely the legs felt perfect, just had no spring in them. The breathing was getting tough though. This seems to be par for the course for me, when I struggle it's aerobically more than anything. I think I more or less kept the pace fairly steady despite this, but the Garmin was all over the place.

Passed a few people. I had been shoulder-to-shoulder with another woman since just after the start, and she fell slightly behind me but kept close. Coming into the last 500m she pulled beside me again and then moved on.

I had no kick whatsoever, I've never felt so flat in a race. Saw the clock and pushed as best I could, thinking I had just barely missed my target. Came through and found a grassy corner to sit down on for a few minutes, felt fairly wobbly. Quickly settled though, and once I'd eaten a very welcome free granola bar I actually felt great doing my cool down jog a little later.

So, the target going in had been 23:30. I thought crossing the line I had missed this by a couple of seconds, but then it turned out the race was chip timed after all. Woop!

Official time: 23:23 (PB)
    Previous race PB was 25:44 (a year ago), though I did a park run in 24:36 last summer.

I guess I'm pleased? I dunno, this one feels a bit anticlimactic. I guess racing when coming off my highest mileage week ever wasn't going to be brilliant anyway. But it wasn't a goal race, and I got the time I was aiming for, I just didn't feel good out there. Felt a bit like my body was stuck in a lower gear or something.

Mostly I'm reminded of how completely not enjoyable 5Ks are, which makes me wonder why do more of them? At the same time, I have somehow developed the lofty notion that I want to see a 22:xx 5k time beside my name some time in the future. Oh and if I can have a unicorn too I'd take it ;)

It was a great run, well done. 5k's may be painful but will be a huge benefit to you. I wouldn't worry about feeling flat, it's easy to feel that way in the midst of such a quality field and after a week of heavy training. Will you be doing some sort of taper for Dunshaughlin?

You're so right about the "real runners" thing. I thought I was the only non club runner there. :o

Great report and great running Eyrie. I have no doubt you have more in you when you're feeling less flat. 22:xx isn't too far away. Nothing wrong with lofty notions - train hard and dream big ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats on the PB! 22:xx is far from a "lofty notion". Great to see the mileage paying off. Plenty more improvement to come :)

Thanks a million for the well wishes folks! Much appreciated :)
    Will you be doing some sort of taper for Dunshaughlin?
    Yep, definitely. Dunshaughlin will be the culmination of the plan I'm following now, and there's a decent taper for it.

ariana` wrote: »
    Great report and great running Eyrie. I have no doubt you have more in you when you're feeling less flat. 22:xx isn't too far away. Nothing wrong with lofty notions - train hard and dream big ;)
    Congrats on the PB! 22:xx is far from a "lofty notion". Great to see the mileage paying off. Plenty more improvement to come :)

Thanks for the votes of confidence there! I suppose it should be achievable in theory with some focused 5k training. I just really hate 5Ks...:rolleyes: :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Well done on the PB! Flying it!

Advertisement