Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Midweek update, the excitement of it all! This is what happens when I'm home alone for the evening. And didn't run today so have to use up the nervous energy somehow (physio tomorrow, eeeek!)... :pac:

Monday 19th - Easy run
    9 miles / 10:24 avg pace / 149 (165) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:36, 10:21, 9:49, 10:26, 10:38, 10:13, 10:47, 10:34, 10:16
    First time the weekday runs on the plan have crept up to 9 miles. This was helped by the bank holiday but I'm not sure how I'll manage these on work days. Anyway it was fine, felt great. Amazing how easy this is now compared to a few months ago.

Tuesday 20th - Easy lunchtime run
    4 miles / 10:22 avg pace / 148 (157) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:13, 10:22, 10:18, 10:33
    Tired legs. The niggle in the right hip was back though and moved down the leg a bit, to mid-thigh/above knee. Stretching afterwards helped massively, but it doesn't seem to be improving much overall. Might have to get it looked at, although it still feels very minor.

Wednesday 21st - Easy run
    8.1 miles / 10:35 avg pace / 148 (160) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:36, 10:29, 10:39, 10:31, 10:40, 10:36, 10:47, 10:25 (10:03/1:00)
    Pace is getting slower and the hip is getting niggly-er... :( Supposed to do strides with this but figured I'd better keep it easy and see how I felt. Meh, was the answer. Fairly ran out of energy halfway through too which is weird. Came back and made an appointment with the physio.

Thursday 22nd - Pilates
    Rested the infuriating hip. I had a pilates class already booked so I went along a bit nervously, but I felt a million times better after it, no pain at all.

Feeling a lot more optimistic now after the pilates today, but I'll go along to the physio tomorrow anyway. I'll probably end up feeling like an eejit because it'll be nothing at all, but if that's the case I'll happily cope with a bit of embarrassment over a potential injury. We shall see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

eyrie wrote: »

Thursday 22nd - Pilates
    Rested the infuriating hip. I had a pilates class already booked so I went along a bit nervously, but I felt a million times better after it, no pain at all.

Feeling a lot more optimistic now after the pilates today, but I'll go along to the physio tomorrow anyway. I'll probably end up feeling like an eejit because it'll be nothing at all, but if that's the case I'll happily cope with a bit of embarrassment over a potential injury. We shall see!

Don't be embarrassed. They're used to people going in for general maintenance (makes us sound like a car), so I wouldn't worry about seeing a physio with a niggle. I was mortified when I sprained my back because there wasn't much she could do for me, but she gave me exercises that helped and a guideline on when I could start running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hope the physio goes well Eyrie. Definitely no harm to go occasionally even if it's just for a rub down.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Sorry if this is stupidly obvious but do you foam roll at all? I've gotten rid of so many niggles by using mine.

Sorry if this is stupidly obvious but do you foam roll at all? I've gotten rid of so many niggles by using mine.

No I'm terrible about remembering to do it! I actually have been doing it a bit since this came on, and it has definitely helped a bit. No excuses not to do it regularly now :o

• Advertisement

I feel like I'm in a bit of a no-man's land at the moment, but might as well get back up-to-date here.

The good news is there's nothing serious wrong (didn't think there was, but nice to have it confirmed). Hip joint issues caused by relatively weak glutes apparently, so I need to work on strengthening them. Also need to cut my mileage in half until my right hip is exactly the same as my left (i.e. pain free and same range of motion). Physio estimated 1-2 weeks. Could be a whole lot worse, and reading about other people's injury woes here puts it in perspective.

Still I can't believe how much an enforced reduction has me dying to get out for a longer run, start racing, anything really. I guess that's a good sign. Anyway, I had been planning to do the K-Club 10k since the date change made it a possibility for me, but all thoughts of that have been shelved. Pity, but there'll be others. The physio also suggested I join a running club, so that's something else to ponder...

Friday 23rd - Easy runmute with backpack
    9.05 miles / 10:31 avg pace / 151 (161) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:43, 10:45, 10:53, 10:37, 11:06, 10:35, 10:04, 10:06, 9:58 (9:20/0:21)
    Felt tired and slow for the first half, but it picked up after that.

Saturday 24th - Rest
    Off at a wedding. Incredible day for it!

Sunday 25th - Random run 6.1 miles / 9:47 avg pace / 158 (175) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:20, 10:43, 10:19, 9:12, 8:58, 9:04
    The less said about this the better... :eek: I was in tatters after the night before. Long run was cancelled due to the cutback, so I went for a sort of easy out, steady back effort. It was horrible. Haven't felt so unfit in... I can't remember.:(

Weekly mileage: 36.25 miles

That should have been my highest mileage week ever, and first time to break 40 miles. I briefly toyed with doing the long run anyway and starting the cut back the next week instead, but I gave myself a stern talking to and copped on. I'll get back there eventually.

Eyrie weak glutes seem to be common in these parts :o

1-2 weeks will fly m'dear, honestly it will and the reduced mileage will do you the world of good, you'll be back up to 40 mile weeks in no time. Good luck with the strengthening exercises - if you find any magic bullet do let me know :cool:

ariana` wrote: »
    Eyrie weak glutes seem to be common in these parts :o
    Errrmmm there's no way to make this not sound weird, but I thought of you when I heard that was my problem! :pac:
    ariana` wrote: »
    1-2 weeks will fly m'dear, honestly it will and the reduced mileage will do you the world of good, you'll be back up to 40 mile weeks in no time. Good luck with the strengthening exercises - if you find any magic bullet do let me know :cool:
    Unfortunately I think it's more a "long-term-boring-consistency" kind of solution than a shiny magic bullet one. No fun!

Errrmmm there's no way to make this not sound weird, but I thought of you when I heard that was my problem! :pac:
    Hmmm i would say it's lovely to be thought of but.... :pac:
    Unfortunately I think it's more a "long-term-boring-consistency" kind of solution than a shiny magic bullet one. No fun!
    Yeah, i'm afraid so... But at least we can still run while doing the long-term-boring stuff :cool:

Sorry to hear you’re semi on the bench. Hope it’s closer to the one week rather than the two that you’re running the reduced mileage. No doubt if you keep the Pilates up, it will help the glutes. It’s certainly something I should look into myself.

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you’re semi on the bench. Hope it’s closer to the one week rather than the two that you’re running the reduced mileage. No doubt if you keep the Pilates up, it will help the glutes. It’s certainly something I should look into myself.

Thanks! It's annoying but could be worse. How's yours now - is the niggle better?

Thanks! It's annoying but could be worse. How's yours now - is the niggle better?

Still niggly. Had a tune-up with the physio during the week and he did something unpleasant involving his elbow :eek: Not sure if it helped, if I'm honest.

Still niggly. Had a tune-up with the physio during the week and he did something unpleasant involving his elbow :eek: Not sure if it helped, if I'm honest.

Oh yes, I'm familiar with that particular manoeuvre :eek:

It seems to be a slow niggle to shift, mine's the same. Good to learn the lesson now though and get serious about the strengthening and stretching, etc, well ahead of any thoughts of marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Oh yes, I'm familiar with that particular manoeuvre :eek:

It seems to be a slow niggle to shift, mine's the same. Good to learn the lesson now though and get serious about the strengthening and stretching, etc, well ahead of any thoughts of marathon training.

Eh you're already marathon training! Not the race specific training block but this base you're building is like the foundations of a house. It's invaluable.

Seems I've let this get a bit behind - hard to find the motivation to log when there's not much running happening!

Here's two weeks back:

Monday 26th - Easy run + physio exercises
    3 miles / 10:07 avg pace / 146 (157) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:10, 10:08, 9:54
    Got a migraine straight after this one, second time in the last few weeks. Not a development I'm enjoying! :(

Tuesday 27th - Easy run
    2 miles / 10:11 avg pace / 146 (153) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:05, 10:01
    Barely worth getting changed for this! Hip was annoyingly sore in the morning but after doing the stretches and the short run it improved.

Wednesday 28th - Easy run + 15 mins strength training
    4.5 miles / 10:18 avg pace / 150 (160) HR avg (max)
    Splits:
    9:34, 10:33, 10:23, 10:07 (10:41/5:20)Felt really unfit during this, seemed to be working much harder than I should have been. At least the hip was almost fully fine. Warmed up properly beforehand, and did some glute activation. Definitely helps.

Thursday 29th - Rest
    Whole right thigh felt fairly sore all day. Annoyed now, it really doesn't seem to be improving.

Friday 30th - Runmute
    5.12 miles / 10:17 avg pace / 152 (165) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:06, 10:16, 10:08, 10:26, 10:17
    Enjoying being off work but still had an appointment so I decided to run home from it. Felt a little better than the last few. HR looks high but I was on the phone for part of this so I'm blaming that ;)

Saturday 31st - Easy run
    6.11 miles / 10:28 avg pace / 1 (1) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:28, 11:04, 10:29, 10:28, 10:13, 10:09 (10:32/1:05)
    Studying all day (all weekend really :(), so got out for a welcome break.

Sunday 1st - 30 mins strength training
    And that was it for the week!

Weekly mileage: 20.7 miles
    Lowest mileage week I've had in a long time. I wish I could say it was making a dramatic impact on the hip niggle, but so far... nothing :(

Somehow despite the low mileage this week, March actually ended being the highest mileage I've run in a month ever!

| 2017 | 2018
    January | 14.5 | 124
    February | 61 | 121
    March | 90 | 152
    April | 116 |
    May | 113 |
    June | 114 |
    July | 143 |
    August | 84 |
    September | 104 |
    October | 113 |
    November | 137 |
    December | 36 |

Monday 2nd April - Easy run + physio exercises
    5 miles / 10:23 avg pace / 148 (158) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:19, 10:44, 10:31, 10:27, 10:01
    Better. Muscles a bit sore from strength training the day before, so this was still slow but felt a bit more normal.

Tuesday 3rd - Easy run + 15 mins strength training
    3.3 miles / 10:26 avg pace / 141 (151) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:41, 10:22, 10:23 (10:05/3:04)
    Finally the effort came down, which was very welcome.

Wednesday 4th - Easy lunchtime run
    4.1 miles / 10:16 avg pace / 150 (160) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:01, 10:27, 10:19, 10:19 (9:47/0:49)
    Felt good again on this one.

Thursday 5th - Rest

Friday 6th - Easy run (treadmill) + physio exercises
    3 miles / 10:29 avg pace / 146 (156) HR avg (max)
    Hip sore again. Planned 4 or 5 miles but I couldn't make myself stay on the treadmill.

Saturday 7th - Rest
    Doing college work all day. Planned to get out for a run to break it up but it never happened.

Sunday 8th - Easy run
    8.2 miles / 10:19 avg pace / 153 (165) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:25, 10:15, 10:37, 10:19, 10:31, 10:33, 9:51, 10:01
    Very overdressed for this! Warm out there. Felt very comfortable. Longest run since the visit to the physio. Hip was bothering me in the morning but was perfect on the run, so that's positive.

Weekly mileage: 23.6 miles

So the advice from the physio was to cut my mileage in half for 1-2 weeks until the right hip felt exactly the same as the left. It's been two full weeks, and to be honest it still doesn't feel the same, which is a bit frustrating. At the moment it feels fine when I'm running though so I think I'm going to start slowly building the miles back up a bit, and see how that goes. I'll back off if it makes it worse, but I do need to get back up to normal if it's manageable.

No hurry, m'dear. You're still getting 20 miles a week in, which isn't bad at all. Take your time to allow the hip heal and build strength. It sounds like it's getting there - maybe another week might see you right?

I'm still not 100% back to normal, but I'm starting to feel like I'm getting there at least. I decided to cautiously increase the mileage a little bit last week and see what happened. Dipped my toe back in the waters of 10k training, but only barely. Some of it went ok, some not so ok. But the hip is holding up so that's great. I foam rolled semi-regularly (something I never do!) and I'm convinced it made a major difference, so definitely need to be doing more of that.

Monday 9th - Easy run
    4.5 miles / 10:21 avg pace / 147 (159) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:04, 10:30, 10:35, 10:11 (10:47/5:18)
    Bit of a struggle, this one. For no apparent reason! Just felt tired. Also got a throbbing pain in my right mid-thigh towards the second half of the run.

Tuesday 10th - Easy run + Strength training
    3.5 miles / 10:20 avg pace / 152 (161) HR avg (max)
    Foam rolled last night and the leg is perfect today. Might be a lesson in that... Ran on the treadmill and then did 20 mins of strength training stuff - goblet squats, kettlebell deadlifts, planks, etc.

Wednesday 11th - Pilates
    First time the intermediate class felt fairly easy/enjoyable! Think doing all the exercises prescribed by the physio is having an effect :)

Thursday 12th - Endurance run (Goal: 10:41 - 9:38 pace)
    8 miles / 10:06 avg pace / 151 (162) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:09, 10:19, 10:44, 10:21, 9:48, 9:38, 9:40, 10:05
    First run in ages that was anything other than purely easy. Found the first half a real struggle but I settled into it. Enjoyed picking up the pace a bit in the second half, and it felt comfortable.

Friday 13th - Lactate Threshold: 10 min, 10 min, 8 min (3 min jog recovery)
    8.3 miles / 9:54 avg pace / 159 (185) HR avg (max)
    Paces for LT Splits: 8:33, 8:12, 8:11
    This one didn't go well. Target pace for LT intervals was 8:13 - 8:03. I was way off for the first repeat so kept the effort in range instead. Focused on hitting the pace for the second two, which meant the effort was way above what it should be. I'm not sure if I can blame it on tired legs from yesterday given that I'm out of practice with this stuff now, or if my LT pace should be slower.

Saturday 14th - Endurance run (sort of)
    9.1 miles / 10:16 avg pace / 155 (170) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:14, 10:50, 10:37, 10:10, 10:26, 10:30, 9:46, 9:59, 9:56 (9:30/0:54)
    Didn't have a proper plan for this so it was a bit all over the place. Started off feeling really tired but once again got into it halfway through. Fairly windy in patches and the terrain very up and down, so both pace and HR were erratic. Still shouldn't have let it get that high though. But on the bright side my right leg felt perfect.

Sunday 15th
    - Rest
    Essay writing all day. Barely looked up from the laptop. :(

Weekly mileage: 33.4 miles

That's a great weeks work. I think your threshold pace is pretty spot on, in fact nearly all your paces are. Keep churning out weeks like that and you'll be ready for anything this year. Have you any races planned?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    That's a great weeks work. I think your threshold pace is pretty spot on, in fact nearly all your paces are. Keep churning out weeks like that and you'll be ready for anything this year. Have you any races planned?

Ages ago I signed up for the dunshaughlin 10k (I hear it's the place to be :P) and a 5k in May - possibly the Bob Heffernan one? If that's in May I think that's the one, must dig out my confirmation emails. Dying to have a go at a race or two to be honest, though I'll have missed a few weeks of the training plan for it now, and I feel very behind! :eek: Stamina seems to have gone out the window

• Advertisement

Ages ago I signed up for the dunshaughlin 10k (I hear it's the place to be :P) and a 5k in May - possibly the Bob Heffernan one? If that's in May I think that's the one, must dig out my confirmation emails. Dying to have a go at a race or two to be honest, though I'll have missed a few weeks of the training plan for it now, and I feel very behind! :eek: Stamina seems to have gone out the window

Yeah I'm hoping to do the Bob Heffernan as well. I wouldn't worry about the few weeks missed, it's still 6 weeks to that and another 4/5 until Dunshaughlin. If you're worried about endurance just lengthen the long run gradually and slow it down a wee bit ;)

I'm still not 100% back to normal, but I'm starting to feel like I'm getting there at least. I decided to cautiously increase the mileage a little bit last week and see what happened. Dipped my toe back in the waters of 10k training, but only barely. Some of it went ok, some not so ok. But the hip is holding up so that's great. I foam rolled semi-regularly (something I never do!) and I'm convinced it made a major difference, so definitely need to be doing more of that.

Monday 9th - Easy run
    4.5 miles / 10:21 avg pace / 147 (159) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:04, 10:30, 10:35, 10:11 (10:47/5:18)
    Bit of a struggle, this one. For no apparent reason! Just felt tired. Also got a throbbing pain in my right mid-thigh towards the second half of the run.

Tuesday 10th - Easy run + Strength training
    3.5 miles / 10:20 avg pace / 152 (161) HR avg (max)
    Foam rolled last night and the leg is perfect today. Might be a lesson in that... Ran on the treadmill and then did 20 mins of strength training stuff - goblet squats, kettlebell deadlifts, planks, etc.

Wednesday 11th - Pilates
    First time the intermediate class felt fairly easy/enjoyable! Think doing all the exercises prescribed by the physio is having an effect :)

Thursday 12th - Endurance run (Goal: 10:41 - 9:38 pace)
    8 miles / 10:06 avg pace / 151 (162) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:09, 10:19, 10:44, 10:21, 9:48, 9:38, 9:40, 10:05
    First run in ages that was anything other than purely easy. Found the first half a real struggle but I settled into it. Enjoyed picking up the pace a bit in the second half, and it felt comfortable.

Friday 13th - Lactate Threshold: 10 min, 10 min, 8 min (3 min jog recovery)
    8.3 miles / 9:54 avg pace / 159 (185) HR avg (max)
    Paces for LT Splits: 8:33, 8:12, 8:11
    This one didn't go well. Target pace for LT intervals was 8:13 - 8:03. I was way off for the first repeat so kept the effort in range instead. Focused on hitting the pace for the second two, which meant the effort was way above what it should be. I'm not sure if I can blame it on tired legs from yesterday given that I'm out of practice with this stuff now, or if my LT pace should be slower.

Saturday 14th - Endurance run (sort of)
    9.1 miles / 10:16 avg pace / 155 (170) HR avg (max)
    Splits: 10:14, 10:50, 10:37, 10:10, 10:26, 10:30, 9:46, 9:59, 9:56 (9:30/0:54)
    Didn't have a proper plan for this so it was a bit all over the place. Started off feeling really tired but once again got into it halfway through. Fairly windy in patches and the terrain very up and down, so both pace and HR were erratic. Still shouldn't have let it get that high though. But on the bright side my right leg felt perfect.

Sunday 15th
    - Rest
    Essay writing all day. Barely looked up from the laptop. :(

Glad the hip is better and boo on the essay writing. At least the weather was perfect for it ;)

Weekly mileage: 33.4 miles

I'd agree with all of this, except the LT point. If the effort is too high on an LT run, then it's not an LT run, it's something else. Pfitz gives you HR zones, I'd be inclined to stick to them. You'll soon find the paces will fall where they should. Just my opinion - it's not necessarily correct.

I'd agree with all of this, except the LT point. If the effort is too high on an LT run, then it's not an LT run, it's something else. Pfitz gives you HR zones, I'd be inclined to stick to them. You'll soon find the paces will fall where they should. Just my opinion - it's not necessarily correct.

Ah sorry, I was unaware Eyrie was training by heart rate or what particular plan she is following. I'm too old school for that sort of stuff and basic numbers like max and average HR are irrelevant in isolation. I was just basing my comment on the fact that most training pace calculators would give that sort of pace based on the Raheny 5 pace even allowing for the subsequent training and the recent slight fall off.....but that may also be incorrect :eek:

basic numbers like max and average HR are irrelevant in isolation. I was just basing my comment on the fact that most training pace calculators would give that sort of pace based on the Raheny 5 pace even allowing for the subsequent training and the recent slight fall off.....but that may also be incorrect :eek:

Oh, you’re right. Those numbers don’t mean anything in isolation. I just assumed that’s what Eyrie meant when she said the effort was too high. Anyway, it was unfair of me to debate a comment on someone else’s log, so apologies.

Sorry for the log hijack, Eyrie. Looking forward to seeing how you get on when you race :)

Anyway, it was unfair of me to debate a comment on someone else’s log, so apologies.

Ah I hope she won't mind. Personally I have learnt more about training and racing from reading debates on discussion on logs here than anywhere else.

Ah I hope she won't mind. Personally I have learnt more about training and racing from reading debates on discussion on logs here than anywhere else.

Ha of course I don't mind! Debate away! It's useful if anything.
    Oh, you’re right. Those numbers don’t mean anything in isolation. I just assumed that’s what Eyrie meant when she said the effort was too high. Anyway, it was unfair of me to debate a comment on someone else’s log, so apologies.

Sorry for the log hijack, Eyrie. Looking forward to seeing how you get on when you race :)

Yep, you're completely right. My heart rate was getting up a fair bit higher than the prescribed zone for the pace, from Pfitz. I kind of wanted to try pushing it to hit the pace and see what happened, but fundamentally I think it's better to keep the effort where it's meant to be for the workout, which is what you're saying (I think!). Ideally those two would magically align of course, but I might be asking for unicorns there... :roll eyes:

Thanks for the input both of you :)

Interesting...from reading about the number of outside influences that can cause heart rate to fluctuate I have shied away from it as a training tool. Do you use just max HR to calculate your zones or the HRR?

Ha of course I don't mind! Debate away! It's useful if anything.

Yep, you're completely right. My heart rate was getting up a fair bit higher than the prescribed zone for the pace, from Pfitz. I kind of wanted to try pushing it to hit the pace and see what happened, but fundamentally I think it's better to keep the effort where it's meant to be for the workout, which is what you're saying (I think!). Ideally those two would magically align of course, but I might be asking for unicorns there... :roll eyes:

Thanks for the input both of you :)

Yep, that's exactly what I was saying. I'm not sure if you've done any of the VO2 Max sessions yet - you'll have ample opportunity to push the effort/pace then. Honestly, the pace and effort will align on the LT runs.

Interesting...from reading about the number of outside influences that can cause heart rate to fluctuate I have shied away from it as a training tool. Do you use just max HR to calculate your zones or the HRR?

Yep and the plan I'm following at the moment would agree with you. I just feel no method is absolutely perfect. Using pace also has drawbacks and it's just a matter of preference. For me, I do a lot of hilly runs, so what might be an easy pace for me according to a calculator won't be according to effort. Hopefully, as we become more experienced, we can dial into effort.

• Advertisement

Yep and the plan I'm following at the moment would agree with you. I just feel no method is absolutely perfect. Using pace also has drawbacks and it's just a matter of preference. For me, I do a lot of hilly runs, so what might be an easy pace for me according to a calculator won't be according to effort. Hopefully, as we become more experienced, we can dial into effort.

Ah yes hilly runs would make running by pace tricky alright. I did a run in Cruagh Woods recently and paces were all over the place! There's no silver bullet that's for sure but your consistency is the most important thing.

Advertisement