Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earning my go-faster stripes...

Options
  • 18-08-2017 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭

After much lurking, I'm dipping my toe in this running log business. I've learned so much from reading many of the logs here already, and it's time to start properly tracking what I'm doing and where it gets me (or doesn't).

Quick background: I'm female, early-ish 30s, with no real history of sport/exercise at all bar going to the gym a bit and walking practically everywhere I go. I've dabbled in running a few times previously (the typical couch to 5k stint on a couple of occasions) but it never stuck until about 9/10 months ago when I got the bug badly, and so far it has stuck. I've been running 5 days a week, lately around the 30 mile a week mark, give or take a few.

I'm slow, but I enjoy training and when I pick a plan I stick to it, to the point where in the last 6 months I haven't missed a single planned run. Recently I started experiencing bouts of extremely low energy and some dizziness, and my paces got even slower. Took myself off to the GP and was told I have practically no iron at all, so I'm now dosing myself with the stuff and hoping my paces start to improve a bit.

My first real running goal was to complete a half marathon, which I finally did last weekend (the Rock 'n' Roll Half) in the pleasantly-surprising-to-me time of 1:57:5x. Now that that's done I'm keen to think about what's next.

Current PBs

5K | 24:36 | August 2017 (Parkrun) or
    | 25:44 | April 2017 (race)
    5 mile | 43:16 | May 2017
    10K | 53:00 | June 2017
    HM | 1:57:5x | August 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Let's kick this off with a recap

13/08/2017
    My first half marathon. I followed a Boards graduate plan for this (despite not being a marathon graduate) Training had gone well but I had no idea what kind of time to aim for, never having run a long race before. I had dreams of going sub 2:00 but didn't think that was remotely realistic with how bad I had been feeling lately, and on a hilly course too. So I thought 2:10 was more realistic, and that would have been fine with me. But I told myself that if I felt good on the morning I'd start off just behind 2 hour pace and see how it felt. And it turned out that it felt pretty good. And somehow, it continued to feel pretty good for the rest of the race.

I posted here a while back asking for advice on pace, and got great advice, especially from Testosterscone (author of the very plan I was following) who suggested starting out at 9:10 pace for a few miles and picking it up if I could after that. So that's what I did.

First half (ish)
    Miles 1-7 - 9:11, 9:07, 8:56, 9:40, 8:57, 8:48, 8:55

Bit messy at the start - I couldn't find the 2 hour pacers so entered a corral beside the 55 min 10k pacers. Eventually saw the 2 hr sign a corral or two back but it was too late to move. Figured I'd slow down and catch them on the way. Stupid. Luckily I realised in time that that would put me well over 2 hours as I would have started before them, so I just set off on my own and winged it.
    I kept an occasional eye on my watch to make sure I wasn't starting off too fast, but for the most part I just went by feel. And it felt good. I couldn't believe how comfortable I felt out there. Running through the city was lovely. High-fived a few kids - great boost that.

My lovely boyfriend had gotten up early to drop me to the start, and then went back to cheer me on at various points. Saw him for the first time at Heuston, and ran over to high-five him too (it was the order of the day). On from there up the hill to the Royal Hospital. I though this would be a killer, but it was fine. Onwards! Chatted to a few people along the way which really made the day for me. I love the camaraderie of runners.

Got through Chapelizod and heard the announcement for the 10k runners to separate off, where it almost went horribly wrong for me as I have trouble telling my left from right at the best of times, so when I heard the announcer clearly say "10k runners stay left and half marathoners to the right" I started to obediently trot over to the park side of the road before realising in time that no, right was the other way.

Second half
    Miles 8 - 13.1 - 9:20, 9:26, 8:24, 8:37, 8:57, 8:32 (+ 1:04 for the last 0.1 miles)

This was where it was supposed to get interesting (i.e. hills for days). I slowed a bit coming into the park and up Chesterfield Ave, but got back on track fairly quickly. I had run this part of the route several times in training and I knew those hills in the park could hurt, but somehow they didn't bother me at all in the race. I saw lots of people walking up them but I didn't feel any urge to walk. I didn't even seem to slow down much. Passed my one-man support team here again and shouted at him to get off his bum. He shouted back that I should stop chatting and put the effort into running. Fair point. But I was enjoying myself... :) At this point I knew the end wasn't too far away and I didn't really want it to be over.

Mile 12 was really the only point in the whole race where it felt like an effort, though still manageable. I had none of the evil thoughts about stopping, or slowing, that I usually get at some point during a race. Swallowed a fly around this point - sneaky little creature attempted to throw off my whole race. Started coughing like a maniac which caused a few alarmed glances from the two lads either side of me.

I knew I had more in me towards the end, but was afraid of calling on it too early. I was a bit too cautious maybe. Waited until I turned the last corner back onto Chesterfield when the finish line was just up ahead to go for it, passing a few people on my way. Crossed the line and couldn't believe it when I looked at my watch. I knew by that stage that I had managed sub 2 hours, but I was astounded to see 1:57:59 once I'd stopped my watch.

Official chip time: 1:57:5x. Happy out.

Final thoughts:
    I had been really unsure about how this would go, so I was cautious and kept waiting for some awful suffering that never came. In the end I felt so comfortable throughout that I finished wondering if I could have (should have?) pushed harder and tried to go a bit faster. Then again, maybe if I had it would all have fallen apart. Who knows. I thought all along that I would have to choose between enjoying my first half marathon (by taking it easy) and running a time I wanted (by pushing myself). In the end I managed to both enjoy it and finish faster than I ever hoped. So really I couldn't have asked for better. I'll take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Welcome to the logs :) Your times are very similar to my PB's, will be following with interest :) Well done in the R&R and best of luck with your next goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Best of luck! I have very similar times to you, and I plan to do the same next year once I finish with this final marathon training cycle! I'll follow with interest!

Welcome to the logs :) Your times are very similar to my PB's, will be following with interest :) Well done in the R&R and best of luck with your next goal.

Thank you! Your log is one of the ones I've been following for a good while now!

chrislad wrote: »
    Best of luck! I have very similar times to you, and I plan to do the same next year once I finish with this final marathon training cycle! I'll follow with interest!

I'm dying to try a marathon some day (some day = hopefully Dublin 2018). Even more so now that I've done the half. Good luck with the rest of your marathon training!

• Advertisement

eyrie wrote: »
    Thank you! Your log is one of the ones I've been following for a good while now!

:o:o You won't learn anything over there though, unless you can learn from my mistakes :D.
    I'm dying to try a marathon some day (some day = hopefully Dublin 2018).

See you there so ;). It's great that your marathon goal is over a year away, it's more than achievable and with tons of time to build up to it you'll have a fantastic debut. I presume you're following the novices thread too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

5K | 24:36 | August 2017 (Parkrun) or
    | 25:44 | April 2017 (race)
    5 mile | 43:16 | May 2017
    10K | 53:00 | June 2017
    HM | 1:57:5x | August 2017

Well, you're definitely not slow! I shall be following your log with interest as your times are ones that I would aspire to (loonnnngg term). I also have half an eye on DCM 2018 ;)

Have you any goals in the shorter term?

Best of luck with the log :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Your 5k, 5m and 10k times are very similar to mine also. Your HM time however is 12 mins faster so you've given me something to shoot for lol!! And I had a similar experience with almost non existent iron reseeves recently enough as well. It's no fun :(

Best of luck with the log & the running! I'll be following with interest :)

:o:o You won't learn anything over there though, unless you can learn from my mistakes :D.
    Ah now! You've done plenty that I can only dream of!
    See you there so ;). It's great that your marathon goal is over a year away, it's more than achievable and with tons of time to build up to it you'll have a fantastic debut. I presume you're following the novices thread too?
    Oh only a bit obsessively ;) It was the novices thread last year that really gave me the bug!
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Well, you're definitely not slow! I shall be following your log with interest as your times are ones that I would aspire to (loonnnngg term). I also have half an eye on DCM 2018 ;)

Have you any goals in the shorter term?

Best of luck with the log :)
    Thank you! Ah I always feel slow, particularly because my easy run pace is crazy slow. Yesss - get on the DCM '18 train!
    ariana` wrote: »
    Your 5k, 5m and 10k times are very similar to mine also. Your HM time however is 12 mins faster so you've given me something to shoot for lol!! And I had a similar experience with almost non existent iron reseeves recently enough as well. It's no fun :(

Best of luck with the log & the running! I'll be following with interest :)
    Well my HM time was much faster than I was expecting too! So I'm sure you're well able. Mind you I wasn't training for a marathon at the same time, so that makes it easier ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Thank you! Ah I always feel slow, particularly because my easy run pace is crazy slow. Yesss - get on the DCM '18 train!

Don't worry about that. My easy pace on my first marathon was close to 11:40 for the long, long runs. It's 10:20 this year. I would say it gets easier in time, but it doesn't really, you just get faster :D

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    Don't worry about that. My easy pace on my first marathon was close to 11:40 for the long, long runs. It's 10:20 this year. I would say it gets easier in time, but it doesn't really, you just get faster :D
    Ha, thanks for the encouragement... kind of :) But actually it's really good to hear that - my easy pace is often right around your old easy pace, so it's good to know improvement is possible. Often feels like nothing is changing.

Looks like I picked a great time to start a training log - i.e. the time I have done the least actual running I've done in over a year. Hmmm...
    Sure we'll forget about last week (we can do that, right? ;) ) which was lost to post HM recovery, brief sickness, and putting in long overdue time with family and friends instead of going out running.
    So onto this week! Plan was to get back in the swing properly, albeit a bit more gradually if needed. I haven't got any particular plans/goals at the moment, but I'm thinking of targeting a 10k in 6/8 weeks as a start.
    With that in mind, I set my alarm for early this morning and headed out for 45-60 mins easy running. Except that 15 mins in I thought I was going to puke and had to crouch down on the side of the road until my stomach settled enough to gingerly walk back home. Not a good start! Lesson learned: don't take iron tablets on an empty stomach and go straight out for a run, especially when said stomach was already fairly dodgy the night before. Will do better tomorrow. :(

Looks like I picked a great time to start a training log - i.e. the time I have done the least actual running I've done in over a year. Hmmm...
    Sure we'll forget about last week (we can do that, right? ;) ) which was lost to post HM recovery, brief sickness, and putting in long overdue time with family and friends instead of going out running.
    So onto this week! Plan was to get back in the swing properly, albeit a bit more gradually if needed. I haven't got any particular plans/goals at the moment, but I'm thinking of targeting a 10k in 6/8 weeks as a start.
    With that in mind, I set my alarm for early this morning and headed out for 45-60 mins easy running. Except that 15 mins in I thought I was going to puke and had to crouch down on the side of the road until my stomach settled enough to gingerly walk back home. Not a good start! Lesson learned: don't take iron tablets on an empty stomach and go straight out for a run, especially when said stomach was already fairly dodgy the night before. Will do better tomorrow. :(

Oh god love ya! I find the iron tablets really really hard on my stomach too. I take Ferrograd C and the only way i can tolerate them is to take them at night, last thing before i go to bed, so far i've been fine to run the next morning. They make me puke when i take them in the morning even without running after :rolleyes:

On the positive side though well done on getting up early :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Welcome !! Ferrograd C for me as well ! The joys of low iron ! We have similar times as well and I also have my eye on DCM 2018.

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Welcome !! Ferrograd C for me as well ! The joys of low iron ! We have similar times as well and I also have my eye on DCM 2018.

Oooh running twins! :P Except actually your times are faster than mine ;) Like you I would LOVE to get sub-50 for a 10k, but it seems like a pipe dream! I've only run one 10k race though, so I suppose in time maaaaaybe? Good luck with yours!

Finally got back to a bit (just a little bit) of actual running this week, woo! It started badly with the near-vomiting on Tuesday's run, but began to settle back into normal after that. I read a document that was posted in the main forum here about HADD training (heart rate training with mostly easy running for an extended phase) which was fascinating, and thought about giving it a go. So I played around with it for my three remaining runs this week. I'd love to try it out properly, but I'm not sure now is the time. Hmmm...

Wednesday 23rd August (morning)
    4.25 miles easy - 12:31 avg pace - 141 (149) HR avg (max)

Slow. So slow. But I was determined to keep heart rate below 142 and apparently this is what it took.

Thursday 24th August (morning)
    5 miles easy - 12:02 avg pace - 142 (150) HR avg (max)

Same deal as yesterday, but the pace ended up a tiny bit quicker. Still glacial. Felt nice though if I'm honest, very relaxing.
    Made it back to the gym for some strength training too. Legs have lost a lot of strength in the 3 weeks since I've last been (stayed away in the lead up to and after the half marathon).

Friday 25th August (morning)
    4.5 miles - 10:18 avg pace - 158 (167) HR avg (max)

Let myself go wild with this one! Goal (per the HADD document) was heart rate between 155-160. Fun to get to speed up a bit! Thought it would be quicker though. But it felt very comfortable.

Off on holidays tomorrow so that might be it for this week, although I'll get out on Sunday if I can. Packing the runners anyway! I'll get a few runs in for next week but I'm holding off on starting a new structured plan till I get back. Then it's time to think seriously about what's next...

Ahem... where were we?

Went away on holidays for a week and running took a backseat to doing other things while there, which seems only right and proper given that I'm not training for anything specific anymore... *sniff*
    I managed two very scenic runs and 3 hikes in the week so it wasn't all sitting around, though there was plenty of that too.

Quick and dirty round up:

Sunday 27th: 6 miles easy - 11:02 avg pace
    144 (155) HR avg (max)
    Lovely evening run along canal paths in Wales. Nothing like a bit of run tourism.

Monday 28th - 2 hour hike

Tuesday 29th: 6 miles easy - 11:29 avg pace
    145 (156) HR avg (max)
    Same route as Sunday, but slower. I'm always slower first thing in the morning.

Wednesday 30th August - 12 mile hike (not one but TWO mountains climbed! :) )

Friday 1st September - another hike, not sure of the details (no Garmin so who knows if it even really happened?)

Nothing for the weekend :(

Really would love to do more hill walking regularly, but it's hard to fit around running. Now, home and time to get back into a routine!

So I think I've decided on a vague plan of action for the next while. Rather than targeting races for a bit I want to build up my base, and most of all I want to get my easy run pace up to something more respectable so that I can get through more miles. Therefore I'm going to attempt a phase of mostly easy running by heart rate, and then a mix of easy and sub-LT running (also by heart rate) following the HADD protocol, with the goal being to gradually increase each of those paces relative to the same HRs, if that makes sense. We shall see...
    If anyone has any experience of this please feel free to share!

So I think I've decided on a vague plan of action for the next while. Rather than targeting races for a bit I want to build up my base, and most of all I want to get my easy run pace up to something more respectable so that I can get through more miles. Therefore I'm going to attempt a phase of mostly easy running by heart rate, and then a mix of easy and sub-LT running (also by heart rate) following the HADD protocol, with the goal being to gradually increase each of those paces relative to the same HRs, if that makes sense. We shall see...

No specific experience but I know by running more miles at easy pace I saw my hr drop for the same distance & pace. Best of luck with the plan! You'll be well ahead of the game for DCM 2018 should you choose to go that route ;)

Really would love to do more hill walking regularly, but it's hard to fit around running. Now, home and time to get back into a routine!

I was going to suggest that given that you were without a goal race, you could combine your love of hiking and running and give Run the Line a go: http://runtheline.ie/

But then I saw this:

I did about 6 weeks (I think) of the first phase of HADD over winter last year. I love easy running, but it took me a while to get used to running quite as easy as HADD suggests. I was reduced to walking on hills a few times. I think I'd probably manage it better now that I'm fitter. I'll be interested to see how you go. It's definitely something I'd do again.

• Advertisement

I did this too, probably coming up on 2 years ago now and like Huzzah I found it hard to adjust to running at a much slower pace initially but you definitely see the paces increasing and the HR dropping as the weeks go on. I'd certainly recommend it if you have the time to dedicate to it.

Did you do your max HR test yet?

I was going to suggest that given that you were without a goal race, you could combine your love of hiking and running and give Run the Line a go: http://runtheline.ie/

Run the Line sounds amazing! But it doesn't really suit me so I think I'll have to give it a miss for now. Would love to do it in the future though. I'll be keen to hear how you get on!
    I did about 6 weeks (I think) of the first phase of HADD over winter last year. I love easy running, but it took me a while to get used to running quite as easy as HADD suggests. I was reduced to walking on hills a few times. I think I'd probably manage it better now that I'm fitter. I'll be interested to see how you go. It's definitely something I'd do again.
    I did this too, probably coming up on 2 years ago now and like Huzzah I found it hard to adjust to running at a much slower pace initially but you definitely see the paces increasing and the HR dropping as the weeks go on. I'd certainly recommend it if you have the time to dedicate to it.

Did you do your max HR test yet?

Very interesting to hear your experiences, thanks both of you! It seems worth trying anyway. At the moment my easy pace is so slow that it's really hindering me from doing proper training I think, so improving that would make everything else more possible (or so goes the theory/hope!). Given that I'm already so slow for easy runs, it actually doesn't mean slowing down much for me, just being more disciplined and consistent with it. I'm willing to give it a go for a while anyway and see what happens, and now seems like a good time.

AGYR - I haven't done a specific max HR test, but I'm working off a max reading from a 5k which was 192. I suspect my true max could be a tiny bit higher but it's probably close enough to be usable.

Well this was a bit of a weird one. And by weird, I mean mostly bad. Plan was (is) lots of easy running, keeping to the heart rate zone of 140-145. Hadd says that at the start you may need to go up to 150 until you adjust, so I'm allowing a bit of wiggle room. Even still, I found my heart rate soaring despite moving just about as slowly as I possibly could. Made for a fairly frustrating experience, to be honest. No room for ego here when you're "running" but barely overtaking the walkers out for a stroll. But this is a long term game and I'll keep at it.

Goal for all runs: Keep HR between 140-145

Monday 4th: 5.2 miles / 11:38 avg pace / 147 (162) HR avg (max)
    The smallest incline sent the HR upwards. Otherwise fine.

Tuesday 5th: 5 miles / 11:28 avg pace / 145 (155) HR avg (max)
    Who cares about running, I finished my book! Been slogging through Moby Dick for a million months now and I finally finished it. I thought running my first half marathon was a good achievement but it's got nothing on this ;)

Wednesday 6th: 5.05 miles / 11:58 avg pace / 145 (153) HR avg (max)
    Ran on a treadmill for the first time in a very long time. Now I remember why I stopped doing that.

Thursday 7th: 4.07 miles / 12:24 avg pace / 145 (156) HR avg (max)
    Runmute home with my backpack. Awful! Into the wind the whole way but no matter how slowly I went the heart rate kept rising. This one was painful.

Friday 8th: 5.1 miles / 12:25 avg pace / 145 (156) HR avg (max)
    Runmute into work this time, backpack again. Marginally less awful than yesterdays.

We'll see what the weekend brings...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Your very patient - after one days experience my head was melted . Although I'm liking this new average heart rate setting! You can join me on sub 4 quest for DCM next year .........

Just need to find the right plan!

Eyrie, if it helps at all, those paces look very similar to the ones I was doing when I started HADD too, they will come down and it won't take very long (a few weeks I bet before you start noticing differences). The wind will affect this too, so does running on grass (I find!).

Just at note on HADD, you can't use avg HR for HADD, it must be Max - 50 (or -40 in the beginning as you said).

Eyrie, if it helps at all, those paces look very similar to the ones I was doing when I started HADD too, they will come down and it won't take very long (a few weeks I bet before you start noticing differences). The wind will affect this too, so does running on grass (I find!).

Just at note on HADD, you can't use avg HR for HADD, it must be Max - 50 (or -40 in the beginning as you said).

For the laugh, I looked back on my first few "runs" following HADD. I definitely could've walked the distance at much the same pace. If you do a search for HADD in the logs, you'll see people reporting similar experiences.

Your very patient - after one days experience my head was melted . Although I'm liking this new average heart rate setting! You can join me on sub 4 quest for DCM next year .........

Plenty of time to research the right one! I'm excited already even though it's over a year away!

Thanks, it's reassuring to hear that! I'm hoping it starts to improve soon, because it's painfully slow at the moment! And ummm, I know it's supposed to be max under 145, but I haven't managed that yet no matter how hard I try!
    For the laugh, I looked back on my first few "runs" following HADD. I definitely could've walked the distance at much the same pace. If you do a search for HADD in the logs, you'll see people reporting similar experiences.
    Glad I'm not the only one! Thanks :) It's really good to be able to read about other people's experiences actually, makes me think there might be light at the end of the (slow) tunnel!

Saturday 9th: 7.8 miles / 11:58 avg pace / 144 (154) HR avg (max)
    Shortest "long" run ever. I definitely managed the slow part though. Retraced a bit of the route of the RnR half just for fun/nostalgia.

Sunday 10th: No running but a short hike in between torrential rain showers instead.

Mileage for the week: 32.2

And that's a wrap on week 1 of my HADD experiment! I'd love to this that this week will see me become magically faster, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it might take a little longer :)

Well done on week 1 of HADD training. I'll be following with interest ;)

I can't believe i was just reading back and got excited when i saw this :eek::eek::eek::eek: So much for never again and i haven't even go to the start line of this year yet :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    Well done on week 1 of HADD training. I'll be following with interest ;)

I can't believe i was just reading back and got excited when i saw this :eek::eek::eek::eek: So much for never again and i haven't even go to the start line of this year yet :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Oh but just think how much easier the second one is bound to be! (I assume, based on no experience whatsoever ;) ) People aren't lying when they say it's a bug are they??

Advertisement