Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 rootjuse70

Thanks very much. It's frustrating to know there is only one section dragging me down each time.

Generally i always tend to pass these & do badly on Numerical

I think I pass by looking at bigger picture, common sense & also in parts I suppose really I put down what I know they want/expect to hear.......

I think also possibly our answers can be or might be based on our current experience or what your manager would do in these scenarios also......

Hope that makes sense!!??

Those are the pointers I have... (relative to me only & also to my experience of doing those tests)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Me too. Anyone have any ideas how to bring the scores up on these questionnaires?

You don't have to improve, you just need to repeat your result to make the interview.
    Supervised tests are just to get rid of cheaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭billyhead

Addle wrote: »
    You don't have to improve, you just need to repeat your result to make the interview.

You can improve significantly on your score in the 2nd round though? I perform much better in these type of tests when in a testing supervised environment. Did this one in the library and the noise level from a class of school kids was distracting:D

What I'm trying to figure is if my approach to these questions is flawed. For example if there was one course of action you would take for a scenario did you give it 6 points ? and the rest zero or give the most reasonable one 3, then next reasonable 2, then 1 etc.
    love_love wrote: »
    I don't know if my advice above would be any use - I know they were very different, but I only scraped by in the scenarios in the EO, and I got 5400 this time, which I'm really pleased with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Niamho_M

billyhead wrote: »
    You can improve significantly on your score in the 2nd round though? I perform much better in these type of tests when in a testing supervised environment. Did this one in the library and the noise level from a class of school kids was distracting:D

I usually do better in the supervised test centers too.

I know a few people who did the HEO aptitude tests but aren't actually eligible and so wont be going any further. I'm sure there are plenty who do the same, once all of these fall away I would imagine that we will all jump up a few places!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Niamho_M

rootjuse70 wrote: »
    What I'm trying to figure is if my approach to these questions is flawed. For example if there was one course of action you would take for a scenario did you give it 6 points ? and the rest zero or give the most reasonable one 3, then next reasonable 2, then 1 etc.

I scored 6500+ and know someone who scored 7000, we both put all of the points in the decision we chose, and none in any other option; surely as a manager you need to be confident in your decision making? That was my reasoning anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

rootjuse70 wrote: »

Personally speaking, this was my approach.

Option 1 - Perfect response for the scenario
    Option 2 - Terrible response
    Option 3 - Appropriate response, as in, it's not terrible, but there's definitely better ways to approach it

I would have given option 1 5 points, option 2 zero points, and option 3 1 point. In that scenario, I would have wanted to show that I know option 1 is definitely the best response, and option 2 is definitely an awful response, but also to allow one point for option 3 to show that I know this would be an appropriate response, even if not the best. I don't know if this answers your question, and I'm by no means an oracle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Optiplexy99

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Are there already 2 panels setup for Dublin and outside Dublin? I got no mention of location of panel in my results
    Addle wrote: »

and think in next supervised tests - its just the 2 you have to do - Verbal & Numerical

Thanks very much. That's a great help! Maybe I was over-thinking the scenarios

Niamho_M wrote: »
    I scored 6500+ and know someone who scored 7000, we both put all of the points in the decision we chose, and none in any other option; surely as a manager you need to be confident in your decision making? That was my reasoning anyway!

Thanks very much. That's very helpful.

love_love wrote: »
    Personally speaking, this was my approach.

Option 1 - Perfect response for the scenario
    Option 2 - Terrible response
    Option 3 - Appropriate response, as in, it's not terrible, but there's definitely better ways to approach it

I would have given option 1 5 points, option 2 zero points, and option 3 1 point. In that scenario, I would have wanted to show that I know option 1 is definitely the best response, and option 2 is definitely an awful response, but also to allow one point for option 3 to show that I know this would be an appropriate response, even if not the best. I don't know if this answers your question, and I'm by no means an oracle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 emer28

Did everyone that passed get this msg

"You will hear from us shortly regarding the next stage of the selection process (supervised testing) which will be held from 4th – 18th October. "

Im in the 600

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bronzesheep

The information booklet states that 'Candidates who select Dublin as a location choice will be processed before candidates who select regional locations. The selection process for regional locations will commence in early 2018'.

Can anyone remember last year if there was something similar? Just wondering if that means regional candidates won't be called for supervised tests yet.

All to be revealed soon I suppose!

The information booklet states that 'Candidates who select Dublin as a location choice will be processed before candidates who select regional locations. The selection process for regional locations will commence in early 2018'.

Can anyone remember last year if there was something similar? Just wondering if that means regional candidates won't be called for supervised tests yet.

All to be revealed soon I suppose!

I didn't pick Dublin Region on location preference & I am being called for supervised tests in Oct 2017

the last time around it was for all - was not divided into Dublin & other

emer28 wrote: »

"You will hear from us shortly regarding the next stage of the selection process (supervised testing) which will be held from 4th – 18th October. "

Im in the 600

Yep I did

• Registered Users Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭billyhead

As far as I know only about 500 candidates will be called forward for the tests in October and the rest as time passes on and vacancies arise etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 scampydampy88

As far as I know only about 500 candidates will be called forward for the tests in October and the rest as time passes on and vacancies arise etc.

Candidates who scored both above and below the 500th position received an identical message stating that they would 'hear from us shortly regarding the next stage of the selection process which will be held from 4-18th Oct'.
    If they were only calling the top 500 then they would state it, as they always do for the AO competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Can someone clarify this please? Does PAS keep your aptitude test results from this one for a certain period of time or if I applied for say the current AO comp can I take the aptitude test again if I didn't pass this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Stickmam

The message was a bit vague really - there wasn't an invitation to Stage 2 or any indication of a cut off number. All PAS really did was say they'd be in touch soon about what's going to happen for Stage 2 which is going to start next week.

I haven't heard of anyone yet who got their order of merit number and be told they didn't make the cut. Unless very few people applied for this, it's unlikely everyone who passed will be called. I'd say we'll know more tomorrow or Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Stickmam

Hogey007 wrote: »
    Can someone clarify this please? Does PAS keep your aptitude test results from this one for a certain period of time or if I applied for say the current AO comp can I take the aptitude test again if I didn't pass this time?

Different aptitude test for each competition as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Stickmam wrote: »
    Different aptitude test for each competition as far as I know.

Cheers, thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kanovara

They did provide the results that you needed to pass so I presume if they said you reached the quota then you will be called for stage 2

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Kanovara wrote: »
    They did provide the results that you needed to pass so I presume if they said you reached the quota then you will be called for stage 2

From previous experience they don't call everyone who passed straight away . They tend to do so in batches.

Today's notice extends the original advertised supervised testing period.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭newmum62

Yes. I scored 188 &
    got that message.
    emer28 wrote: »

Im in the 600

Thanks Billy.

The sickener is knowing that the last two times it has been the management scenarios that has stopped me from progressing...
    Chin up. Being there before. Just keep applying for every competition your eligible for.

I'm the same Gerrybbadd. seriously frustrating. especially when they say there are no wrong answers. there obviously are.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Failed it. Got seriously high marks for verbal and numerical competencies, but was below par on the management scenario. I hate those things. I can never pass them!

Just for the lol's, this time around, I said i'd try answering differently to how I normally would. Made no difference. I don't know what they are looking for in those things!

I asked the same questions yesterday and got some helpful replies..

check the thread as I can't remember whether they were before or after your post.

Me too. Anyone have any ideas how to bring the scores up on these questionnaires?

Any idea how many applied and how many reached the qualifying standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I'd assume they'll have to send the next correspondence with test date and time today.. If they wait until tomorrow they're leaving it very short notice for people to arrange to get off work.
    Am I right in saying that only Dublin applicants will be called to the supervised testing in October considering how the application documents say regionals will start being processed in 2018?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Did you get this info from someone in the know or are you going based on previous competitions?

Advertisement