Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Aug 17) NEW Interdepartmental HEO comp (Serving civil servants only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kanovara

Hard to know how to prepare for that presentation! I was nervous & the laptop was not co-operating. I think il write it freehand if I get to stage 3 this time. So frustrating to ace the interview after you've scored 130 points in a presentation where you needed 150 to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

Holy moly, there's a lot of pressure in those tests. Got numerical finished but only got about 70% of the verbal completed. Irritating when they dont usually count the numerical scores

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

Starry12 wrote: »
    Holy moly, there's a lot of pressure in those tests. Got numerical finished but only got about 70% of the verbal completed. Irritating when they dont usually count the numerical scores

I found the same....not sure i quite got 70% of the verbal done but did get the numerical finished. Gonna leave the management scenario for another day i think

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Hi everyone. I'm just about to start the tests and I have one quick question before I do. It is asking me for my PAS ID.. is this my candidate number or the user name i use to login on PAS?

Hi everyone. I'm just about to start the tests and I have one quick question before I do. It is asking me for my PAS ID.. is this my candidate number or the user name i use to login on PAS?

Hi! It's your candidate id! I did it yesterday. Best of luck

• Advertisement

Kanovara wrote: »
    Hi! It's your candidate id! I did it yesterday. Best of luck

Thanks A million I'll let you know how I get on! How did you find it?

Thanks A million I'll let you know how I get on! How did you find it?

Difficult to be honest!

Kanovara wrote: »
    Difficult to be honest!

I just finished. That was horrific. I've failed for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 38 meandmymonkey

Just finished the tests.
    Horrendous 😫😫

• Registered Users Posts: 22 alrightiwill

For the Verbal test, does the content change for the questions at times? Or is it the same content for the entirety of the test?

I'm doing practice tests where there is 4 questions per passage/text and then it changes. I'm not sure if this will be useful considering the timeframe to answer 50 questions.

• Advertisement

For the Verbal test, does the content change for the questions at times? Or is it the same content for the entirety of the test?

I'm doing practice tests where there is 4 questions per passage/text and then it changes. I'm not sure if this will be useful considering the timeframe to answer 50 questions.

same content for all the questsions

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

same content for all the questsions

Are you sure? I haven't done this test yet, but the other ones I've done have all been something like one scenario and 4/5 questions, then a new scenario and 4/5 questions, continued a couple of times. I can't imagine them asking loads of questions on just one passage of text. I might be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭PopTarts

eimaj77 wrote: »
    Are you sure? I haven't done this test yet, but the other ones I've done have all been something like one scenario and 4/5 questions, then a new scenario and 4/5 questions, continued a couple of times. I can't imagine them asking loads of questions on just one passage of text. I might be wrong though.

it's all tabs so same info but across 6 different tabs.

well considering I said a few posts above that I did the tests today, I am pretty sure.

well considering I said a few posts above that I did the tests today, I am pretty sure.
    Good for you. Hadn't noticed the username. So, can I just clarify - there's about 50 odd questions and they're all on the same passage of text (including all the 6 tabs)?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Good for you. Hadn't noticed the username. So, can I just clarify - there's about 50 odd questions and they're all on the same passage of text (including all the 6 tabs)?

The Cut-e test are unique and there's nothing out there that uses a similar format. All the questions are related to the 6 tabs that are provided. The information doesn't change. There's plenty of data contained on the tabs to get 50 questions. However, they may ask for the same information in a multiple of ways.

Also make sure you have the correct tab selected when answering. You might get docked points if you have the wrong tab open.

carnie wrote: »

The Cut-e test are unique and there's nothing out there that uses a similar format. All the questions are related to the 6 tabs that are provided. The information doesn't change. There's plenty of data contained on the tabs to get 50 questions. However, they may ask for the same information in a multiple of ways.

Also make sure you have the correct tab selected when answering. You might get docked points if you have the wrong tab open.

Thanks a mil. Haven't done the cut-e tests in a good while so can't really remember. Will do them tomorrow. Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bronzesheep

I just finished. That was horrific. I've failed for sure

Most difficult aptitude test I've done, wow, can't say that went well!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 khlebnikov

Just finished. I haven't done an aptitude test in a few years but jesus, that was difficult. A few people at work mentioned during the week some aptitude testing websites that you can subscribe to for a fee. I was thinking of signing up to one in preparation for more of these down the line. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience of any such sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bronzesheep

khlebnikov wrote: »
    Just finished. I haven't done an aptitude test in a few years but jesus, that was difficult. A few people at work mentioned during the week some aptitude testing websites that you can subscribe to for a fee. I was thinking of signing up to one in preparation for more of these down the line. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience of any such sites?

The practice sites don't have that cut-e style of aptitude test laid out over tabs. Unless cut-e offer practice tests that are similar which you can pay for, you might be wasting your money. Although, I don't know if PAS intend to keep the cut-e style or change to another style down the line. I've done other styles with PAS over the last few years and all of them were much more manageable than that cut-e test I just savaged! ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

carnie wrote: »

Can I ask what your basis for this statement is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

love_love wrote: »
    Can I ask what your basis for this statement is?

It says it in the instructions. It only makes sense. If you don't have the correct tab open, relevant to the question, how are they to know you're not simply taking a guess at the answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭love_love

But on the same token, you could be penalised for remembering information, or double checking that the information was not available in an alternative tab before selecting your answer. It seems ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 eagle1978

Did the tests last night. Madness pure madness. 10 times harder than the EO tests. Fair play to anyone who passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Stickmam

Thank God that's done. Didn't get it all finished - not sure I did enough in the Numerical test to pass.

Good luck to anyone still to take it.

I suppose it's just a waiting game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭carnie

Just finished. I think I did alright on the numerical, verbal might be 50/50. I think I answered more questions compared to the last HEO comp. Job scenario is anyone's guess

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭patrickSTARR

About to do my tests in a few,

Are the questions the same as the practice tests, ie the same company Top Connectixx and just more questions or is it a new company and charts ???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭billyhead

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    It says it in the instructions. It only makes sense. If you don't have the correct tab open, relevant to the question, how are they to know you're not simply taking a guess at the answer?

No one knows this for sure. It could be quoted in the instructions to dissuade people from guessing. Same applies for negative marking. If you get a question wrong does this offset against a correct answer. Nobody knows if either scenario applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

billyhead wrote: »
    No one knows this for sure. It could be quoted in the instructions to dissuade people from guessing. Same applies for negative marking. If you get a question wrong does this offset against a correct answer. Nobody knows if either scenario applies.

Well, they do say to avoid guessing, and to answer accurately. Reading between the lines, I think my statement makes the most sense

• Advertisement

Just did it now! Phew is right. It's hard, but doable. I got all answers done in both timed tests, but some were guesses. I don't think I'm allowed comment on the content of the test until the testing window is finished...so I'll ask my question tomorrow after 12 - hope that's ok with Mod?

In relation to the above posts, you can interpret it both ways, but I found: to find the answer to the question, you will need to navigate to that tab, but I don't think that it means you have to open that tab, it's just saying that's where the answer is.

Best of luck to everyone yet to do their test.

Advertisement